• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

BBT Nasa image

Guys, you know at the end of a youtube vid, you get little 'ads' for other vids? Well, click on the very top right one, the one mentioning HD. It's a time-lapse photo of a starry sky with an object going round like a meteor but not in a straight line. Could be something normal but it looks interesting.

The NASA website lists this as "space debris". It looks awfully symmetrical for debris--but who knows. I also notice the image on the NASA web page I visited was listed as taken by a Hasselblad (old style emulsion?) camera and posted as a jpeg. It might be interesting to apply image sharpening techniques to a properly digitized version of this in lieu of the compressed jpeg format. Assuming NASA is playing fair to begin with!

Guys, you know at the end of a youtube vid, you get little 'ads' for other vids? Well, click on the very top right one, the one mentioning HD. It's a time-lapse photo of a starry sky with an object going round like a meteor but not in a straight line. Could be something normal but it looks interesting.
i have seen this in real life. no joke.

!

Would a moving object leave a speed trail in stop motion? I guess the camera shutter speed would be set very low, so it could leave a trail, but the trail would be segmented dashes...right? This is a good one.

Edit: Never mind that...lol, here's a link to info about the original video, untouched with details about the camera used.
Awesome landscapes, an incredible galactic palette... and a UFO visit - Just another Sunchaser Timelapse - The Blipfoto Blog

Here's the video for viewing here. UFO appears from 1:30 - 1:35. It's for real.
One last edit: Look at the bottom photo on the link I posted. There are your segmented lines.

well, nthing much to say really;
Birmingham UK in sellyoak. Summer night sky, really clear. hardly any light pollution. waiting outside my friends house for him, he comes out starts looking up at the sky with me and is talking about how clear it is and starts pointing out constellations and the moon and then "don't know what that is" as we see a really bright "star" thats is travelling really fast but in between the stars like its steering round them. then we forget about it and go to the pub and speak nothing of it. i wrote it off as a satellite.

These are pretty old pictures from STS61C, 1985, I believe, and have always interested me.

The pixelation surrounding the shape seems a little suspect, but I can't see why NASA would 'shop IN a triangle to their own image, so I assume it's due to the image quality or filters. Couldn't the pixelation also indicate greater distance & therefore distortion surrounding the object? I know there's alot more informed image analysts than myself around these parts,...

NASA would suggest via the text accompanying the picture:

"A small piece of thermal insulation tile floats in space near the Shuttle Columbia. The cloudy surface of the earth is used as a background."

Seems highly plausible, and I can't really argue with the easiest explanation,...there really aren't any distinguishing features in the profile of the object that would indicate any manner of vehicle or technology, but it is a striking image none the less.

The pixelation surrounding the shape seems a little suspect,

Keep in mind this image is a JPEG. This is a kind of compressed image format commonly used to reduce file size. The down side is that image quality is also degraded and the image does not respond as well to image processing and sharpening techniques. JPEG is almost 'default' for internet posting, so this does not necessarily suggest intent to deceive. Seems like the NASA website also indicates the pic was originally taken with an "old" style emulsion (Hasselblad ?) camera. So we can assume it was scanned to digital.

I'm thinking the Hasselblad is a medium format camera. This means the original negatives are large and would contain much more info than a 35mm frame. So it might be interesting to access and analyze the original negatives if they even still exist. Lotsa luck, right?

I predict that sometime in the not too distant future we will discover that our military has used super secret triangular craft and that we are in possession of them. Similar to when the F1117 was a secret that came out of the bag. If I'm wrong I'll eat my shorts a nice 16 oz. porterhouse.

"A small piece of thermal insulation tile floats in space near the Shuttle Columbia. The cloudy surface of the earth is used as a background."

just a quick check of the mission shuttle damage report will tell you NASA's explanation is hog-wash.

page 48.

only 7 tiles were damaged beyond a 1 inch graze from micro dust hits, all 7 were in around the oms pods, and are said to have occured on lift-off.

Back