• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Battlestar Galactica, 9/11 and the war on terror

freemars2259

Skilled Investigator
Battlestar Galactica - Sci-Fi and the Terror Wars: http://www.binnallofamerica.com/sfw1.16.9.html

"The parallels with 9/11 and the War on Terror were made particularly clear in the three-hour miniseries that relaunched Galactica in 2003. The Cylons' sneak attack on the 12 colonies directly mirrored the surprise attacks on the Twin Towers and Pentagon. What more, the Colonial Fleet in Battlestar completely fail to protect their home worlds from the attacks, just as NORAD completely failed to defend the United States on 9/11. Probably the most emotional and direct reference to the 9/11 attacks, though, is the Memorial Hallway: a shrine onboard the Galactica, walled with hundreds of photos, newspaper clippings, drawings and other mementoes of lost loved ones. It is a haunting reminder of the events that begin the series but, more importantly, also the victims of that black September day."

http://www.binnallofamerica.com/sfw1.16.9.html

Check it out, thanks!

sighs sadly........
the same thing happened in ww2....and ww1....and....

thats the nature of war.....

they say all is fair in love and war........

they are wong

"nothing" is fair in either case......................

Um... it's blatant and obvious. Same with the whole "cylon occupied new Caprica = Iraq/Guantanmo" angle. BSG's writers are just doing what the original Trek series writers did, take issues of the day and re-work them into a sci-fi context so it's not quite so in-your-face (hence hippies, the cold war, racism, etc).

However, it's worth remembering that BSG is a remake and the original series also began with a suprise attack/holocuast. The fact that we've had something more along those lines in the real world more recently in our history simply gave the writers the tools to frame it better.

The parralles are for any time of war. You can paint the same picture for the differnet occupations of the Holly Land throughout time. War is the same story whenever it is told. Betrayal, death of innocents, fear, pain, bloodlust, looking at the enemy as less than human. It is all the same right down to the causes. Only the timeframe and advancements in effective weaponry change. At least thats my point of view.

Um... it's blatant and obvious. Same with the whole "cylon occupied new Caprica = Iraq/Guantanmo" angle. BSG's writers are just doing what the original Trek series writers did, take issues of the day and re-work them into a sci-fi context so it's not quite so in-your-face (hence hippies, the cold war, racism, etc).

However, it's worth remembering that BSG is a remake and the original series also began with a suprise attack/holocuast. The fact that we've had something more along those lines in the real world more recently in our history simply gave the writers the tools to frame it better.

Its obvious as soon as you acknowledge it for sure. Not being in the States, I dont think about that stuff so much.

The whole "cylon occupied new Caprica = Iraq/Guantanmo" angle seems valid, but it could also be applied to many other real world scenarios.

The whole "cylon occupied new Caprica = Iraq/Guantanmo" angle seems valid, but it could also be applied to many other real world scenarios.

Applicable perhaps but in origin? No. Not when you consider the writers are Americans living in America and these subjects are a constant point of discussion to the point of being inescapable. That and Hollywood's proclivaty for stealing ideas like magpies...

That and Hollywood's proclivity for stealing ideas like magpies...

Too true.

Did anyone watch the new episode? Any good? I was really into BSG but have kind of forgotten whats going on and lost interest. I think Im going to have to blast through Season 4 pt.1 again before starting on the new content.

I did and it's a big "WTF?!" episode. Actually I found it somewhat accurate as a sort of catalogue as to how humans react to dissapointment on a grand scale. I get the feeling this is kinda what UFO disclosure would look like.

Cool. Yeah I remember now, Earth was not what they were expecting.

Ok, interest piqued. Im going to have to watch at least 2 episodes of past years episodes tonight.

I just hope they know what they're doing. The writer's seem to have backed themselves into a corner and now they're tap-dancing on the cool/stupid line...

Mars maybe.

Therell be some mystery planet that will show up and save the day.

What do you think of that new show in production set as a prequel to the events in BSG? I think its actually called 'Caprica', which is a good name.

CapnG, as a point of interest, or trivia if you like, BSG is filmed in Vancouver, BC, in Canada. The cast and crew live in Vancouver area while fiilming, and it is possible some of the writers are Canadian, as well.
The algae planet episode was filmed within a few miles of my home city to take advantage of the hoodoo formations and dry cliffs.
StarGate SG-1, StarGate Atlantis, Smallville and Andromeda were filmed there; Highlander was filmed there before the episodes in Paris, and a host of other SF shows have been filmed in Vancouver studios.
It would be reasonable to think the writing for any of those series is a blend of Canadian and US talent, and may reflect a wider viewpoint than just that of the US component. I personally believe Hollywood and the Pacific Northwest are very close to being Canadian, themselves, and wonder why they just don't admit it and come up here and bring California, Washington State and Oregon with them?

HOWEVER!!! I haven't seen the 2 latest episodes of BSG, so if you were to add SPOILER ALERT to any further discussion of the BSG new episodes, I could be persuaded to name my first born after you...

Wait, he already has a name. never mind...;)

Just do any spoilers in white text like this. Its impossible to read without highlighting.

As far as the writers being a mix of US/Canadian because the show is filmed in Canada due to cheaper production costs, well I seriously doubt that.

HOWEVER!!! I haven't seen the 2 latest episodes of BSG, so if you were to add SPOILER ALERT to any further discussion of the BSG new episodes, I could be persuaded to name my first born after you...

Wait, he already has a name. never mind...;)

If his name is "Matthew" then eerily he already would be...

However, I'm more than aware of the whole Vancouver filming thing (you forgot Supernatural, BTW). Be that as it may, the influence if Canadian writers (if there are any on BSG's staff) is not likely going to be stronger than the impulses of the American producers. Also it's not like what we've got going on up here is going to overwhlem events in America, particularily on the scale of events like 9/11 or as deeply divisive as Guantanmo.

What do you think of that new show in production set as a prequel to the events in BSG? I think its actually called 'Caprica', which is a good name.

In a word: CRAP. If Star Wars and Star Trek have taught me anything it's that prequels suck the sweat off a dead donkey's balls.

I am however looking forward to the Cylon-POV movie "The Plan" that's currently in production. Maybe that'll have some freakin' answers.

Mostly though, if they HAVE to do prequels then I'd like to see more oldschool Cylons and more shit and the blowing up of that same shit. Some big, epic, mid-cylon war stories would be great.

Hadnt heard of that Cylon POV movie. That could be very interesting indeed.

Who is the actor that plays Starbuck? Have you seen her in anything else yet? Im really keen to see her in something else, as I think shes a pretty damn good actor, but Im not sure just how good yet.

Would like to see her in a drama maybe.

Her name is Katie Sackhoff (sp?) and she was in the short lived remake of the bionic woman but now she's looking to branch out. She says she's "done with sci-fi" for the foreseeable future and hopes to move on to romantic drama. I think she's gonna find sci-fi fans don't let go that easily...

Just do any spoilers in white text like this. Its impossible to read without highlighting.

As far as the writers being a mix of US/Canadian because the show is filmed in Canada due to cheaper production costs, well I seriously doubt that.

not quite what I meant, sorry I was not very clear. it is reasonable to think it is a mix of Cdn/US because a lot of the talent in Hollywood is Canadian. Not all, and probably not 50 percent, but a lot.

On the other hand, when you have a table full of writers discussing changes to the script and or outlines that need fleshing out, why would you not use all the talent available?

Back