• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ask the Crypto-Kid

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
We've asked the question: Where are the young paranormal researchers, the next generation of people to take over after our generation passes on?

Then we received this email:

Dear ParaCast,

My name is Colin Schneider. I'm a 16-year-old cryptozoologist from Ohio. I've been actively involved in the field for over 3 years. I am an infrequent listener to your podcast and am currently trying to appear on a variety of podcasts. I thought that being a young researcher you might be interested in having me on the program.

Despite the fact that I am 16, I do have some fairly impressive credentials (if I may say so). I'm the Ohio representative for the Centre for Fortean Zoology (the largest cryptozoological group in the world), I've been published eight or nine times in magazines such as Animals and Men and Cryptid Culture Magazine, I'm the host of a live internet radio show called "The Crypto-Kid" on WCJV Digital Broadcasting Network, and I'm working on several books (two with coauthors and one on my own).

As for subjects for discussion, some of the specific topics that I have researched extensively include folklore of dwarves around the world; connections between fairy lore and cryptids; cryptid attacks of livestock; and Ohio Dogman reports. Another subject that could be of some interest for your program is my experiences being a kid in the field.

Of course, since I am so young, you probably want some references and Stan Gordon, Ken Gerhard, Ronald L. Murphy Jr., Jonathan Downes, Robert Robinson, and Timothy Renner would all be more than happy to. I would also be happy to provide contact info for each of them if necessary.

Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,
Colin Schneider

The Crypto-Kid
Crypto-Kid

I'm convinced. We'll be recording this show Thursday, May 4th from 1 PM until 3 PM Arizona time.

Here's a terrific writer too; I think you've got a rising star on your hands here Gene. I'm fascinated by the "phantom black dogs in the Netherlands" that appears on his home page, so here's my question:

- What's the best story you've heard about the phantom black dogs in the Netherlands, and has anyone caught one in a photograph, or taken a plaster cast of paw prints after a sighting?

Dear Gene and Chris, I was wondering about the age of Mr Schneider, whilst it might make me sound like an old curmudgeon, I am willing to take that risk for a clean conscience, anyway:

I love Cryptozoology, but there is a definite dark side according to some researchers, and things like "grey aliens" are considered by some to be "Cryptids", I think what I am trying to say is that there are certain aspects of Cryptozoology that are grotesque and disturbing in the extreme (abduction/mutilation etc) and I personally wouldn't be happy about talking about these aspects with someone who wasn't of age.

To put that into a question:

Has Mr Schneider had any words of caution or advice regarding the darker side of cryptozoology or the paranormal in general?

And what advice would Gene and Chris give regarding this aspect?

The last thing I want to do is discourage a new and fresh mind to the field or patronise anyone, so I am sorry if it comes across that way.

My second question is what does Mr Schneider think Bigfoot is? as in: is it a mundane primate or a more paranormal creature? or both?

Thank you and best wishes

1. What are the best practices that all cryptid researchers should adopt? What research and methodology mistakes should be avoided?

2. Do you have any sense of how widespread knowledge is of the existence of bigfoot (if it exists) among personnel of the forest service, the Bureau of Land Management, etc.?

3. What do you say to the bigfoot skeptics who say things like ‘Why don’t we have good, unambiguous videos and photos of them?’ ‘Where are the bodies and remains?’ ‘People are just either hoaxing, or misidentifying bears or men in camouflage suits, etc.?’

4. If you've had conversations with people who claim to have seen bigfoot, could you describe some of the details of these cases?

5. What do you think the chances are that bigfoot will be generally acknowledged to exist within, say, the next 20 years?

Thank you Gene and Chris!

-Eric

Excellent idea for a show. Age matters not if he has the goods and can talk about it all. 16 is very young to be published writing this stuff but I suppose in this podcast/vlog age, people are uploading content and getting seen much, much earlier than would have been the case in the past. I look forward to hearing Colin and I'm heartened that there do exist such young people getting into the field with passion in bags.

Colin,welcome to the show.As a teen I too was fascinated by the paranormal.Mainly UFO sightings,ghosts,Nessie and Bigfoot.However as I got older and had to take on adult responsibilities my interest waned.Do you have any plans in place that may enable you to carry on with this pursuit.Chris and Gene can tell you how hard it is to make any reasonable kind of living from this line of work.
Secondly,how does your peer group react to your work?

Back