• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Are We Observing Extraterrestrial Intelligence Without Realizing It?

Being that we may...or may not...have a brown dwarf companion star hiding out there I wonder if we qualify as somewhat advanced ?

Now here indeed is an item worth discussing.
Are We Observing Extraterrestrial Intelligence Without Realizing It? | Cadell Last
I like this guys theory on Binary systems with out of place energy flow (well one that won't fit our understanding), yeah he could very well be wrong but nice out of the box thinking.

Interesting article, and like he suggests, is worthy of follow-up study. My reservations are that I think the Kardashev scale isn't necessarily founded on a solid ground, that being the presumption that ever increasing energy usage is a necessary property of technological advancement. At first it seems to make sense, because to some extent it's true ( at least for us ), but when we consider that our own energy usage is primarily to support a vast population rather than increasingly high powered technology, and that most of our technological efforts are therefore geared to reducing the use of energy ( more efficient and smaller cars, batteries, electronic devices and so on ), I think it is equally possible and more likely that the more advanced a civilization is, the more likely they have learned how to manage their population and resources to maximum efficiency and longevity rather than guzzling down everything in their path in a wasteful manner.

There are also some other theories I've heard about these types of star systems, including one connected with a theory called "The Electric Universe" where the physical processes are assumed to be influenced greatly by electrical properties rather than solely by the process of nuclear fusion. Proponents of that theory say their calculations agree very well with observations. So no need to jump to the conclusion of Type II civilizations yet.

Back