• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Arctic walrus spotted in North Ronaldsay and Sanday

Han

piscator ψ
Five years after the "once-in-a-lifetime" sighting of a walrus in Orkney, a second animal has been spotted there.

The blubbery mammal was spotted by Lewis Hooper, a volunteer at North Ronaldsay bird observatory.

_100346815_walrusrussell.jpg

Arctic walrus found in Orkney islands

Any chance it's the same walrus returning for another solo vacation?

Yes, I suppose it could be the same one, and when I look at the two pictures (one from 5 years ago and one from now) the tusks do appear to be very similar: in that one is longer than the other...

Either way it is interesting to see him/them in Scotland, and I wonder why it made the journey?

It has been much, much colder than usual in Britain this year, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it, but maybe it just likes a particular fish or plant that is found in Ronaldsay?

Back