• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Aprill 11 - Macs 'Cryptos' w/ Bishop, Redfern & Kimball

Gareth

Nothin' to see here
An hour in and really enjoying the conversation so far. Im glad you guys really emphasised the fact that a lot of what Mac talks about (and even writes BOOKS about) are thought experiments and are not meant as concrete submissions of his theories about the world.

I often read on boards people criticising his ideas because of lack of evidence or whatever. But what Mac did was take the evidence we do have (UFOs over nuke facilities etc) and tried to fit ideas to the data, rather than the other way around.

Also Paul didnt Mac often say that he "stole"(for lack of a better word) the term "cryptoterrestrial" from another blogger online? I dont think you mentioned that in the opening.

ps. yeah that RM episode with Mac et al. from back in the day is one of my favourite esoteric podcasts Ive ever listened I think. Really enjoyed that one.

An hour in and really enjoying the conversation so far. Im glad you guys really emphasised the fact that a lot of what Mac talks about (and even writes BOOKS about) are thought experiments and are not meant as concrete submissions of his theories about the world.

I often read on boards people criticising his ideas because of lack of evidence or whatever. But what Mac did was take the evidence we do have (UFOs over nuke facilities etc) and tried to fit ideas to the data, rather than the other way around.

Also Paul didnt Mac often say that he "stole"(for lack of a better word) the term "cryptoterrestrial" from another blogger online? I dont think you mentioned that in the opening.

ps. yeah that RM episode with Mac et al. from back in the day is one of my favourite esoteric podcasts Ive ever listened I think. Really enjoyed that one.

Gareth,

Quite right - Mac was always up front about saying that someone else (a commenter at his PHB blog, I think) came up with the term "cryptoterrestrials."

I think what gets many people in ufology upset is that Mac encouraged (as do I, and Nick and Greg) people to think for themselves, and not simply accept the dogma that is handed to them - which doesn't mean that all ideas have equal merit, or that all people are discussing things from an equal level of knowledge. That's what the debate is for - to determine the validity of ideas, based on one's knowledge.

Mac realized that it was more important to be asking the right questions than proclaiming what you believed to be the right answers. That's just one of the reasons why he's sorely missed by those who knew him.

Paul

Gareth,

Quite right - Mac was always up front about saying that someone else (a commenter at his PHB blog, I think) came up with the term "cryptoterrestrials."

I think what gets many people in ufology upset is that Mac encouraged (as do I, and Nick and Greg) people to think for themselves, and not simply accept the dogma that is handed to them - which doesn't mean that all ideas have equal merit, or that all people are discussing things from an equal level of knowledge. That's what the debate is for - to determine the validity of ideas, based on one's knowledge.

Mac realized that it was more important to be asking the right questions than proclaiming what you believed to be the right answers. That's just one of the reasons why he's sorely missed by those who knew him.

Paul

Great show Paul, Gene, Nick and Greg. The ETH crowd are so certain they are right that everyone else must be wrong. Sad really. Ufology is more about personalities than the data. The theories that are explored in UFO books.

Come from stories that were told thousands of years ago.
Vallée was the only person in the field who saw this and presented a good case for this and that makes him unique among other UFO researchers. Mac's theories are interesting because we could be dealing with a long lost ancient civilization that are few in number today? It could explain the deception that is happening which is pretty obvious. The Betty and Barney is interesting leave aside what Stan wrote in his book about Aliens from Zeti Reticuli.

In the other Thread i discussed the possibility of a Alien race called the Tuatha de Dannann. I presented evidence, some of it was speculation, and some was historical.

Is there evidence for this Race IN Modern Ufology?

Travis Walton case... Blonde haired Aliens and Small looking grey looking... Aliens>>Blonde haired Aliens fit the description of the Tuatha.

Betty and Barney UFO case... Barney wasn't well-researched with the UFO field. His Wife had more more of an interest than Barney.

Barney described and this are his first accounts of his experience.. That the Beings he saw were Humanoid. He said one looked like an Irishman ( red or blond hair more Irish thousands of years ago had this colour hair)
Irishman looking ALIEN? Then Barney said later; The being looked like an Nazi and later we got the small beings that are in Stan's book. Again which account is right?

Antonio Villas Blonde alien UFO case from Brazil. Again fits the description of the Tuatha

A recent case from Australia. Bill Chalker UFO researcher book( hair of the ALIEN) claims a Contactee got a hair sample from A Blonde haired human looking Alien and he tested it. DNA tests found a rare Mongol/ Asian type DNA and a Rare Basque/Gaelic DNA in one hair sample from a blonde white women. That is very unusual if true?

Is this further evidence of a lost Civilization that was once living on the planet? They're an offshoot of the human species? A human looking species from another world?

There is more cases of this type that i haven't discussed. I've a culture bias no doubt, but let us put it Together and see if it makes sense.

Ancient myths and legends and history of an Alien blonde race... Most of those type of stories come from Ireland. That is the first fact.
Other Ancient cultures had interactions with a blonde race but there is no larger mythos like there is in Ireland.

Hudson valley UFO flap is interesting. Philip Imbrogno believes the Stone structures that were scattered around New York were build by Ancient Explorers( The Celt) His book the Celtic mysterious explored the possibility. He found were the Large UFO triangles were appearing. They were in the Exact area were these stone ancient structures are.

UFO cases of today. I outlined four of the more well-known cases to argue my point. There could be lot of evidence, that we are overlooking, that might confirm their identity? But we have to review the whole history of ufology( ancient accounts and modern accounts) to do this.
It just a theory. I couldn't be entirely wrong here and I'm open to be proven wrong.

The comment about a second-hand Roswell witness saying the craft was terrestrial but was "not ours" was interesting. It supports Tonnies' CTH ideas but also what I like to nickname the PPH: the ParaPolitical Hypothesis. The PPH is the idea that these craft / beings might literally be us, but some super-secret branch of us... either something deep black or even weirder than that.

I posted a link to a recent C2C episode where Joseph Farrell (someone very much in my grey basket) puts forward some of his "PPH" ideas: Joseph Farrell on Roswell

Seems like it fits into the alternative-Roswell-hypothesis line of thinking.

Greg (if you read this) I was interested in that friend of yours you mentioned who was a psychologist interested in the abduction phenomena. He died 98 I think (sorry I forget his name).

Did he actually think there was something to the whole thing? Despite his observed problems that you mentioned.

Real simple Lance. UFOs are piloted by an Earth-based race that co-exists with us, more or less, but stays hidden most of the time.

Mac considered it a thought experiment, a serious thought experiment.

Yes and its a learning experience for all in wacky world of paranormal:) Yes the paracast interview by Gene & Host Paul, Nick and Greg nice to hear good academic thinking and out of the box theories. Well done guys and much more on Mr Mac Tonnie's "Water World"maybe in the future focusing on the USO concepts and underwater Worlds?

Ja Love and we all connected by life's electrical pulse,:)
blfish

Great show!

I think Mac may have been onto something, but there's no telling which of the varied hypotheses are correct; perhaps all of them are correct on some level.

The perspectives that have been with us for so long are still valid, but I think that the reasonable approach should still be an open-minded but critical one.

This show was great! Thanks!
I'm new to the field of unexplained things and events (paranormal stuff) so the idea of cryptoterrestrials was novel to me and very thought provoking (entire episode was). There was so much to go off from so I'll write down what were highlights to me.

I think Mac's hypothesis sounds valid and possible because if Gene's observation is true... that UFOs are mostly seen on earth rather than outerspace... then it is reasonable to suspect that they do indeed come from earth even though we don't know exactly where from. On that note, however, the 15.10.07 episode (M. Mott) mentions that a lot, if not most, UFO activity has been reported over oceans and nearby caves suggesting that this is where they come from and that if they are terrestrial they hide their existence very well.
Mac did say that his/this hypothesis is testable but I don't remember if he mentioned what the exact methods are, and if implemented what kind of tests will be used to get a significant or conclusive answer....

An interesting tangent I found was the one on the why it is hard to find physical evidence on past civilizations because of destruction. This is so true, I'm sure there are many civilizations that we don't know about, whom could have been just as, or more, intelligent than us (or advanced) because evidence of their existence has been purposely destroyed (e.g. Kilwa in E.Africa) or has withered away over time. Even if it is hard some evidence remains, for example, in an earlier Scientific American article (late 2009 earliest) a team of scientists are studying an artifact that dates to ancient Greece (found deep in the ocean near the coast of Greece) that appears to be an astrology clock of some sort and has been constructed in such a way that may not be replicated today because of lack of skill and technology. This to me says that there could have existed, and perhaps still does, technology and civilzations that are different or advanced and are most probably from this earth that we know very little or nothing about.

In the second half there was a point about causality and the possibility that the effect->cause relationship could be reversed. I love philosophy and this idea is just so interesting I'd like to hear more about it if anyone knows any theories on that.
Mac did what I try to do often, and that is juxtaposing paranormal events that we hear particularly from the Western world with other cultures and religions and looking for similarities (as he did with Buddhism). I find this comparison to be useful because we can get a different perspective or idea on something like cryptoterrestrials, and even if it doesn't give us the truth it lends some knowledge, information, and questions. This way we ultimately gain more knowledge on the paranormal.

On the idea that abductions may happen on a different level of consciousness leads me to think of sleep paralysis... sometimes it is so real for me that sometimes if I trip in a dream my knee will jerk in this reality and I wake up, or I'm drowning and I'm actually chocking on my pillow or something and I'll wake up sweating. My point is that I think the dream reality can be so real that we confuse it with this one, but I really think there is something to it, we know very little about dreams and I was thinking of suggesting a guest scientist that has studied dreams on a neurochemical level and has done some conclusive research. I think this uderstanding will shed light on whether there is something to abductions held on a diff. level of consiousness.

My last highlight thought, or question I would have liked to ask is
'If other dimensions do exist, is it possible that our activity, harmful or not, to this planet and in our dimension, affects a different dimension on this planet?'...

I've been listening to the show today and got an hour and twenty into it....I prefer to listen to the show when I'm driving. I'm blaming my carbon footprint on UFOs and the paranormal.

The discussion about current versus outmoded thinking in the field caught my attention and made me wonder. When I was younger, ETH was easily the dominant explanation for UFOs and other situations. Nowadays, it seems only the guys really new to it all favour ETH over any other possibilities. Maybe it's because they haven't been exposed to other options and are still learning to run...so to speak? The subject is now full of potential explanations and there's probably more on the way. The discussion, in that sense, caught the mood of what people are thinking and talking about in current times. Zeitgeisty.

The ancient astronauts thing isn't one I subscribe to...used to...not much any more. So I was driving and thinking 'Damn ancient astronauts! Here we go again!' The main thing is that a lot of people aren't committed to one idea, they aren't buying into one possibility at the cost of another. It's wide open and the show threw up ideas, bounced them around and moved on. The Cryptos hypothesis provided lots of room for the hosts to kick back without limits.

I've seen four UFOs with two of them definite and the other two just weird. People with an interest accept UFOs and odd stuff happens without feeling the need to define their origins or wrap an explanation around them. Mac Tonnies' ideas weren't entirely original but he burnt them down in a crucible and generated even more abstract ideas for the rest of us. The hosts acknowledged the difference he made to their thoughts and the show proved it.

I'm sure one day the solution will be known (not in my time if the previous 70 years is an indication), until then it's open minds and discussion that keeps it alive and intriguing. I'm not adding anything to the discussion of the thread, just trying to say I enjoyed it in 400 words more than I needed to :)

Greg (if you read this) I was interested in that friend of yours you mentioned who was a psychologist interested in the abduction phenomena. He died 98 I think (sorry I forget his name).

Did he actually think there was something to the whole thing? Despite his observed problems that you mentioned.

His name was Mario Pazzaglini. If you do a search on his name, some things I have written about him/ interviews will come up.

Greg

I've been listening to the show today and got an hour and twenty into it....I prefer to listen to the show when I'm driving. I'm blaming my carbon footprint on UFOs and the paranormal.

The discussion about current versus outmoded thinking in the field caught my attention and made me wonder. When I was younger, ETH was easily the dominant explanation for UFOs and other situations. Nowadays, it seems only the guys really new to it all favour ETH over any other possibilities.

Maybe it's because they haven't been exposed to other options and are still learning to run...so to speak? The subject is now full of potential explanations and there's probably more on the way. The discussion, in that sense, caught the mood of what people are thinking and talking about in current times. Zeitgeisty.

The ancient astronauts thing isn't one I subscribe to...used to...not much any more. So I was driving and thinking 'Damn ancient astronauts! Here we go again!' The main thing is that a lot of people aren't committed to one idea, they aren't buying into one possibility at the cost of another. It's wide open and the show threw up ideas, bounced them around and moved on. The Cryptos hypothesis provided lots of room for the hosts to kick back without limits.

I've seen four UFOs with two of them definite and the other two just weird. People with an interest accept UFOs and odd stuff happens without feeling the need to define their origins or wrap an explanation around them. Mac Tonnies' ideas weren't entirely original but he burnt them down in a crucible and generated even more abstract ideas for the rest of us. The hosts acknowledged the difference he made to their thoughts and the show proved it.

I'm sure one day the solution will be known (not in my time if the previous 70 years is an indication), until then it's open minds and discussion that keeps it alive and intriguing. I'm not adding anything to the discussion of the thread, just trying to say I enjoyed it in 400 words more than I needed to :)

Not to be Critical here "Ancient Astronauts? The main idea behind this theory is that or planet was visited in the distant past By Aliens.. "Astronauts ( Space travellers from another Planet hence the term Astronauts) This term Ancient Astronauts is restrictive to say the least.

The Cryptos Hypothesis is a far better theory than the Ancient Astronaut theory because it opens up to the possibility that these UFO's are being piloted by species who are not foreign to this planet, but it doesn't exclude the possibility they are Aliens from Another World ( planet) or even Dimensional travellers from a Dimensional world a (Parallel world)

Some People never will take the next step. The Phenomenon has to be Aliens from Another planet? The reason i see for this dogmatic approach? Branding? Branding you say, Yes, Since 1947 most of the UFO researchers have been American. The majority at least.
These American UFO researchers are mostly men some women are in their late fifties or sixties. They probably saw lot of TV programmes about Aliens from another world since the 1950's. Some of these TV programmes no doubt have influenced their train of thought about the subject. Further.

The ETH hypothesis is an explainable theory to the masses. "They come from another planet to us here"

There is other hypothesis's that are completely opposite to the ETH Hypothesis.

The Dimensional stuff, try explaining that to a person who has never taken a keen interest in this subject. That person believed or thought Aliens could only come from Another World out in space. Where exactly would we start the discussion with him/her? We aren't even sure this hypothesis is possible or realistic?

I would bet ten to fifteen years from today we Probably have less dogmatic individuals within the field of Ufology. Those who will not refuse and will take in on board and review the other possibilities that there is to the origins of UFO's. I wish it was sooner, but that for me, is a realistic time-line for changes to happen, occurring within the UFO field of study.

Becoming less like a religion the better. Hopefully, but who knows what the future will bring.

That is why we have got little reward from studying this subject in the last sixty years or so. I
certainly have a viewpoint, to what, i think UFO's are. But I'm not proclaiming i have all the answers. But I'm making assumptions based, on what, i have read and studied. What i have wrote are my own ideas and I haven't borrowed these ideas from someone else.

There does seem to be an interesting correlation between the Tuatha de Dannann of the Ancient past and the Nordics reports from the modern age. Now you can say I'm being biased, but maybe, consider this point? Maybe i looking at the evidence there is available and seeing hints of another possibility that has never been looked at fully?

Excellent show.

However, what I retain from this show is growing chasm between ETH and .... Crypto ideology which seems to me to be a bit too human centric for my tastes. In other words, Crypto is closer to human (planetary) capabilities than what a type 3 galactic civilization would be able to do.

Our own evolution is trending towards complexity and those that can't adapt die off fast (Our own bio-diversity crisis speaks volumes).

I have a real hard time processing the idea that a parallel race exists here and is trapped by Einsteinian physics :rolleyes:

Religions were created to bridge a gap... this is my perception of crypto... Until I read the book :D

Until then I'm speaking through my hat and hope not too many people read this LOL

Excellent show.

However, what I retain from this show is growing chasm between ETH and .... Crypto ideology which seems to me to be a bit too human centric for my tastes. In other words, Crypto is closer to human (planetary) capabilities than what a type 3 galactic civilization would be able to do.

Our own evolution is trending towards complexity and those that can't adapt die off fast (Our own bio-diversity crisis speaks volumes).

I have a real hard time processing the idea that a parallel race exists here and is trapped by Einsteinian physics :rolleyes:

Religions were created to bridge a gap... this is my perception of crypto... Until I read the book :D

Until then I'm speaking through my hat and hope not too many people read this LOL

Using Kaku's civilization typology, I recall Kaku himself saying that we were still a long time (relatively speaking) from becoming even a type 1 civilization - and certainly thousands of years at least from becoming anything more.

These changes do not just happen overnight.

Excellent show.

Cryptoterrestrial hypothesis makes lot of sense to me personally. A non human species having co existence with us. Unrealistic possibility or maybe if we don't exclude the possibility these non humans inhabit a world beside our own and pop in and out a will. So basically they are here and not here.

A species capable of doing the impossible who pop's in and out at will through wormholes, gateways certainly is a type 3 civilization( the whole idea behind this method anyway is energy ) what about a civilization type iv or above?

The phenomenon has been on the planet for a long time probably centuries even millenniums. After a number of millenniums i think we need to evaluate and maybe consider that the UFO phenomenon is indigenous on some level.

Using Kaku's civilization typology, I recall Kaku himself saying that we were still a long time (relatively speaking) from becoming even a type 1 civilization - and certainly thousands of years at least from becoming anything more.

These changes do not just happen overnight.

Exactly, that 's why the existence of 2 high level sentient civilizations on the same planet seems unlikely. At some point in human history Neanderthals co-existed with Homo-sapiens and perhaps due to an environmental adaptation advantage we persisted where they didn't. Time took care of filtering out the competition for earthly resources.

There would be physical evidence, thermal signature, detectable concentration of mass... etc. A second self-sufficient post-industrial civilization on planet earth should require more or less the same infrastructures that we need to sustain and grow.

Trapped by Einsteinian physics after all this time and forced to hide from us ? Doesn't compute... unless they have melted into our society. What would be the point of their continued existence on spaceship earth ?

I suspect that on a galactic level, the passage of time favors one dominant type 3 civilization... as we are the dominant type 0 civilization on this planet after a long process of elimination. (There is only one dominant sperm that fertilizes the ovum LOL).

Perhaps there is a type 4 entity that has evolved beyond physical space-time limitations, transcends multi-verses, is able to set up camp in parallel universes popping in and out at their will LOL. But once you have reached that stage of evolution and complexity... what would be the interest in meddling with the affairs of a type 0 civilization ?

IMHO, the framework that offers a viable explanation for the presence of strange flying stuff, Malmstrom type events, abduction accounts, bizarre scripture from various religions... etc. involves a mandatory type 3 civilization in our galaxy attempting to set up a galactic infrastructure for sentient life. Trickling down its genetic blueprint... and perhaps a morality blueprint down to type 0's ? Purpose of the infrastructure ? Perhaps other galaxies assessed as a potential threat :D. The top dog type 3 here wants to keep his job.

Michio Kaku opened up a can of worms LOL. However, the key to all this is accepting that there are tricks around Einsteinian limitations (speed of light). If there are no tricks around Einstein and humans have reached the ultimate peak of physics in the 1930's , then a trapped Crypto civilization becomes the way out of the dilemna.

Exactly, that 's why the existence of 2 high level sentient civilizations on the same planet seems unlikely.

We wouldn't need a civilization much more advanced than ours to do what UFOs have been reported doing - especially if the remnants of that civilization are using some form of holographic technology to simulate UFOs (i.e. they're not actually real craft, but projections). We're pretty close to that now. Thus, no need to break Einsteinian physics at all. Indeed, that's one of the reasons Mac found the CTH more likely than the ETH - you wouldn't need even a Type 1 civilization for it.

We wouldn't need a civilization much more advanced than ours to do what UFOs have been reported doing - especially if the remnants of that civilization are using some form of holographic technology to simulate UFOs (i.e. they're not actually real craft, but projections). We're pretty close to that now.

U.S. military could potentially already have that capability now. It would be the ideal distraction tool in a war situation.

Adding a visual illusion to a high stress combat flight environment would wreak havoc in any enemy attack coordination effort LOL. Any general would love to have something like this in his arsenal.

Thus, no need to break Einsteinian physics at all. Indeed, that's one of the reasons Mac found the CTH more likely than the ETH - you wouldn't need even a Type 1 civilization for it.

True.

Now how do they fit in our planetary time/space is the real question. Are they at the bottom of the sea, under the greenland ice cap, in a cave ? (quality of life in these conditions would be somewhat questionable)

Back