• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

April 8th Show

• Thread starter interestedINitall
  • Start date

I

interestedINitall

Gene and David,

I REALLY hope you'll take Lorraine Warren to task for labeling every other case of inexplicable "spirit" phenomena "demonic."

Did the Warrens steer clear of Atheist, Buddhist, Hindu, et al. households because that "Let's exorcise your demon." hokum wouldn't fly?

It seems so.

Good points on the "Starchild" David. I really got nothing to say, you pretty much covered it all.

Lorraine Warren was simply painful to listen to, I've never heard such a torturously rambling discussion before in my life. I realize it's an interview, not an interrogation but past the first commercial break with still no response to the request about a certain tape I found myself muttering aloud "For f&^ks sake lady, just answer the QUESTION!!!" which she STILL never did.

And once again we have someone defying logic with religion. If God created the universe, then he created EVERYTHING, good and bad. Period. There's no room for discussion there. Credit goes to David for trying to put that point forward but Lorraine seemed to wriggle out of it as quickly as she possibly could.

Also with Lorraine we have another case of someone who's drawn their line in the sand. Confronted with the notion that these could be extra-dimensional entities and not demonic spirits, she flat out refused to consider it.

I'm just getting around to the show. I might comment on Pye much later, but it will be time consuming. For now I just wanted to say thanks for asking about the audio of parrot lady Gene. And thanks David for kinda bringing her back to the recording aspect of the question. I figured she stopped sharing it with people, but hoped she would maybe play it, or send it to yal. Wish I still had the tape for you all to hear, but it's stolen. I wasn't sure if the Parrot lady was the correct name, but she seemed to immediately know what I meant. The show that aired the recording was the Alan Handelman show btw. I have a friend that worked on that show, but she left and now just DJs at another station.

I should add, I don't feel the recording lead to the robbery really. I find it interesting and funny given that she really stressed to not record it and then it happened though. My inquiry was to get her to talk about the case and maybe share the remarkable recording. Basically she thinks bad things will happen for the same reason that some people think messing with Ouija boards will open a "gateway" for demons etc. I'm quite fond of Ouija boards, so I don't really let that deter me:)

Just listened to the first half of the show, just cant accept the case for the skull being half human half alien, ok you can get the DNA and say, that parts human because we have human DNA to compare but just because the rest is not known does'nt mean it's from an alien being.

Dont get me wrong, Lloyd seems like a nice enough guy but he just seems a bit blinkered and wants to believe too much.

I think when they do the next tests we will find It's a human deformity.

AJ38 said:
I think when they do the next tests we will find It's a human deformity.

I'm adopting a wait-and-see stance with this but I think you're right.

The Warren interview approached interesting in the last 2 minutes of the show. It sounded like David didn't want to seem as though he were browbeating an old lady but at least he began to contradict her.

Her views on the subject are so myopic that I'm not sure how further discussion with her would be productive.

I've been having a wait and see stance too. I'll join in on the guessing fun and say that what will be reported will be a "yes, but scenario". It will be inconclusive, or just enough peculiarity to leave it open that this thing might be alien (part alien rather) in some people's minds. I won't conclude that it's a deformity until that is also proven however.

There is some aspects of the skull not discussed on the show. To just listen to the time he was on and jump to conclusions is to be ill informed.

I was surprised David basically called him a liar (said he fabricated the story about that scientist, I forget his name) instead of asking (off air) for contact info. of the scientist in question, and then ask the scientist what he said. I might do it. Scientist do indeed treat this subject poorly. I know for a fact that many scientist won't touch it with a ten mile pole. Even ones that stick their necks out on other issues. Seti scientist as an example. They take a leak on ufology, don't look into it, yet are part of a subject that is (or was for many years) considered fringe.

A.LeClair said:
I was surprised David basically called him a liar (said he fabricated the story about that scientist, I forget his name) instead of asking (off air) for contact info. of the scientist in question, and then ask the scientist what he said. I might do it. Scientist do indeed treat this subject poorly. I know for a fact that many scientist won't touch it with a ten mile pole. Even ones that stick their necks out on other issues. Seti scientist as an example. They take a leak on ufology, don't look into it, yet are part of a subject that is (or was for many years) considered fringe.

Stephen Jay Gould
passed away in 2002, so it would be difficult to speak with him about this issue. He was known to be somewhat controversial, so if he thought there was something to the skull, he'd probably state it for the record. He didn't, and I'm not surprised.

dB

I agree, I will wait and see the outcome, just a hunch about the outcome but could be wrong, I haven't just listened btw and come to that conclusion, I,ve known about this subject for a while.

AJ38 said:
I agree, I will wait and see the outcome, just a hunch about the outcome but could be wrong, I haven't just listened btw and come to that conclusion, I,ve known about this subject for a while.

Yeah, my comments were just in general, not directed at you per-say.

while i sympathize with whatever horror DBs parents went through, (beyond imagination!) i just have to ask very respectfully, what does being the child of a holocaust survivor have to do with nearly every show? maybe it is my imagination but i think it has been mentioned several times.
David do you think being a COAHS has sparked your interest in this field? Do you think they are connected in anyway? i apologize if you have clarified this in the past and i havent seen it.

Anyone know anything about DNA - did the guy say that *all humans* can be traced back to 1 of 7 females?

I've never heard that one before - is that true?

Interesting show. I was surprised that David "pulled his punches" so often considering the strange inconsistencies of the guests.

Mr. Pye was going on about mitochondrial DNA testing and how that material comes only from the mother. He also stated that the mitochondrial DNA tests showed that the female skeleton was from "Meso-American Type A" DNA and the supposed "starchild" remains exhibited traits from "Meso-American Type C". How can this be if the mitochondrial DNA sequence is representative of the mother only? Shouldn't the sequences match if the "starchild" was the progeny? He also stated that due to the reported circumstances of the remains in the mine, that the only explanation for finding this female skeleton next to the smaller remains surely indicates that this person must have been the mother... Maybe I heard this incorrectly, but, it sure seems like a case of someone wanting to believe in an hypothesis so badly they will hope that if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with B.S.?

I really liked the question that David asked Mrs. Warren about the origins of spirits vs. the omnipotence of the creator being (the belief that all things were made by God, good and evil...). I agree with several others here that she sure seemed to wiggle out of that one with an admirable grace. You can't win 'em all, but you guys sure beat the hell of out the mainstream (C2C, etc.) radio crew!

klatuu_berada_nicto said:
Interesting show. I was surprised that David "pulled his punches" so often considering the strange inconsistencies of the guests.

Mr. Pye was going on about mitochondrial DNA testing and how that material comes only from the mother. He also stated that the mitochondrial DNA tests showed that the female skeleton was from "Meso-American Type A" DNA and the supposed "starchild" remains exhibited traits from "Meso-American Type C". How can this be if the mitochondrial DNA sequence is representative of the mother only? Shouldn't the sequences match if the "starchild" was the progeny? He also stated that due to the reported circumstances of the remains in the mine, that the only explanation for finding this female skeleton next to the smaller remains surely indicates that this person must have been the mother... Maybe I heard this incorrectly, but, it sure seems like a case of someone wanting to believe in an hypothesis so badly they will hope that if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with B.S.?

I really liked the question that David asked Mrs. Warren about the origins of spirits vs. the omnipotence of the creator being (the belief that all things were made by God, good and evil...). I agree with several others here that she sure seemed to wiggle out of that one with an admirable grace. You can't win 'em all, but you guys sure beat the hell of out the mainstream (C2C, etc.) radio crew!

I don't know about you or David, but I'm no expert on the niceties of DNA, so I hope you'll cut me a little slack about this. In any case, I did feel that Mr. Pye was stretching the facts to fit his hypothesis or hopes that the Starchild skull is an alien hybrid. If it is just a fairly unique deformity, it would still be of interest to anthropologists, but that would not a best-selling book make, right?

klatuu_berada_nicto said:
He also stated that the mitochondrial DNA tests showed that the female skeleton was from "Meso-American Type A" DNA and the supposed "starchild" remains exhibited traits from "Meso-American Type C". How can this be if the mitochondrial DNA sequence is representative of the mother only?

You can go back and listen to the FREE archive (one of the best things about the paracast!) and check for sure but I think you'll find he said they assumed the other skeleton was the mother and were surprised to discover it wasn't.

And yes, Rick, mitochondrial DNA does indeed trace us all back to the root females that spawned the original homo sapiens. Wiki can fill you in on the finer points, I'm sure (I'm certainly no expert... but I did play Parasite Eve! ;) )

One thing I forgot to mention that bugged me right off the bat (like in the literal first five minutes of the interview and strangely enough seemingly ignored by Gene and David) was the fact Pye said the skull had been lacquered at some point. Anyone else think that maybe, possibly that might just contaiminate some of the test results a smidge?

Yeah, the lacquer issue did make me wonder. Could that substance account for the strange "fibers" he said were observed under magnification? Could that also account for the additional density/weight of this skull? As always, more questions than answers...

Rick Deckard said:
Anyone know anything about DNA - did the guy say that *all humans* can be traced back to 1 of 7 females?

I've never heard that one before - is that true?

I thought that was odd, too.

Back