• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Apple AirPort Extreme/Express?

Creepy Green Light

Paranormal Adept
Does anyone here have a wireless network ran off an Apple AirPort Extreme base station (or time capsule) AND use an AirPort Express to boost/further the range? I bought and setup today AirPort Extreme. Based on where it's located upstairs the signal is not super strong on the back deck/pool area. I was thinking of maybe getting an Express to plug into a wall outlet downstairs towards the back of the house. I assume our iOS devices will notice a new Express unit and then link that to the Extreme station. Any tips/advice appreciated.

Thank you.

PS - I've had Apple products since 1984. They work like a champ and are the finest machines, IMO. I bought my first AirPort Express today. All I can say is no wonder Apple is superior to everyone else. The router came with a power cord. I plugged it in, connected a CAT5 cable to it and my modem and I was in business. Literally that simple. My iPhone detected and configured my new network. Besides being the best looking router out there, it was also a pleasure to set up. We have 9 different Apple products using it + an HP wifi printer. Thank you Apple.

Routers in general tend to be unusually hard to configure. I have worked with a number of them when reviewing gear for my own tech blog and other publications. In the end, Apple may not be the cheapest — they are priced with high-end routers — but they always deliver a superior interface and better-than-average performance.

Routers in general tend to be unusually hard to configure. I have worked with a number of them when reviewing gear for my own tech blog and other publications. In the end, Apple may not be the cheapest — they are priced with high-end routers — but they always deliver a superior interface and better-than-average performance.
Agreed. In his case the adage "you get what you pay for" is true. Would gladly buy another AirPort Extreme ($188.99 right now at Best Buy). I'm going to attempt to connect a hard drive to it tomorrow and see if I can view and move files/photos around. I think I'm gonna need a FireWire to USB cable/adapter for it.

Before my AirPort Extreme, wi-fi in my house was driving me crazy and the router needed to be reset every day or two. Since getting my AEBS in 2011, I think I've reset my router 3 or 4 times, and not because I really needed to.

I've been reading for 10 years on how easy it is to set up Extreme or Express. But I've never really had the need to replace what I was currently using. But recently the combo modem/wifi router and Netgear router I have has been on the fritz, so I finally got an AirPort Extreme. I'm still determining if the backyard area warrants the boost of an Express.

Back