• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Apple AirPlay/Airport Express questions

Creepy Green Light

Paranormal Adept
I have an iPhone 6 and use an Apple Airport Extreme for my wifi. I always knew that Airport Express has a speaker input and they say you can stream your iTunes library to that Airport Express & it's connected speakers. However, I think I'm missing the point of going this route. Say if I wanted to listen to the songs on my iPhone in my bedroom, wouldn't buying a quality Bluetooth speaker(s) be the easiest/best way? I'm not sure I'm seeing the point in buying a Airport Express and then connecting wired speakers to it. It seems with that method that once I leave the bedroom I've also left my tunes in there. Seems like it would make more sense to leave the bedroom and take my Bluetooth speaker with me and then say, set it up on the back patio by the pool.

I'm sure I'm missing something or not understanding correctly. Any input is appreciated :)

Now you have less to wrap your head around. There are lots of Bluetooth speakers out there, but check the ratings for distance from your computer. That depends, also, on which Bluetooth version your computer has.

Now you have less to wrap your head around. There are lots of Bluetooth speakers out there, but check the ratings for distance from your computer. That depends, also, on which Bluetooth version your computer has.
Lol, got it & thanks. Any reccomendations? I've had one Bluetooth speaker system that looked & sounded good at the AT&T store. Once I got it home though I was disappointed with it's lackluster performance. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Honestly I never use anything but wired. Seriously.

So I suggest you look over Macworld - News, tips, and reviews from the Apple experts and see what they review.
Also, I just connected a hard drive to my Airport Extreme. I understand there is a way to use my configuration as an Apple Time Capsule. I'm trying to figure out if I can use the hard drive + Airport Extreme without a Apple computer. I have two broken Macbooks and my iMac is in storage in Seattle. So in my house I currently only have iOS devices and a Chromebook. I'm sure there are others out there that use an external hard drive and Airport Extreme together.

Good luck with Chromebooks. They are mostly designed to work in a browser, which is one of their severe shortcomings, although they seem to do well in school districts on a budget.

Good luck with Chromebooks. They are mostly designed to work in a browser, which is one of their severe shortcomings, although they seem to do well in school districts on a budget.
I've had this particular Chromebook for about a year. For what I'm doing - it's a steal for $250 (about what I paid on Amazon). I've got 3 broken Macbooks (the black one, and two MacBook Pro's). I can't afford to shell out another $2k when 99% of the time I'm simply using e-mail and a web browser (which is all I used on my Macbooks really). All that other stuff, as cool as it is (garage band, iPhoto, iMovie, etc. etc.), never got utilized as I have no need.

Since I also have several external hard drives that are not being used, I figured I'd give it a shot to connect one of them to my Airport Extreme. And so far so good (as far as utilizing it through iOS). I'm in the process of figuring out how to utilize it through Chromebook. If I'm lucky, it will be as easy as through iOS. We'll see...

My son has a cursed 2008 MacBook, black. Everything was replaced on it at least once or twice, including a couple of AppleCare extensions to handle some of the more serious stuff.

My son has a cursed 2008 MacBook, black. Everything was replaced on it at least once or twice, including a couple of AppleCare extensions to handle some of the more serious stuff.
At least he's got it operational again. I purchased the black Macbook the day it came out as a gift for my wife. two years later she spills water on it. I buy a Macbook Pro as a replacement. That just mysteriously dies. But a second Macbook Pro (used but from a solid Ebay place that only sells refurbed Mac's) and its dead now. So I have 3 Macbooks with internal hard drives loaded with family pics etc. The app I downloaded to view what's on the external drive plugged into the Airport Extreme works great. But it's cumbersome to try and navigate my way through 1000's of photo's on an external hard drive via an iPhone. That's why I wanted to attempt it via Chromebook and see if that makes matter's easier. Now that my wife has passed away, it's pretty important to not lose any of the family pics on all these different hard drives.

Back