• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Anyone Heard of or know what "Rods" are?

MVoltage

Skilled Investigator
I saw a documentary a while ago about things/apparent creatures that flew about that were called "rods". Does anyone know about these rods, or have any more info? Has this already been discussed? I only ever saw this one programme about them, so know very little about them - is the evidence for them convincing, or is it complete hog-wash? I would love to know more, and peoples' opinions.:D

Too bad Davids not posting anymore... from what I can tell rods is favourite subject ;)

Nah I only know of rods through David putting shit on some Spanish dude. Id say its all bunk.

teeny little bugs that get caught by a video camera and then somebody shows them on tv and calls them invisible inter-dimensional whatzits...
oh yeah, and Art Bell really, really liked talking about them. my friend's sister got all hepped up about them and tried to get us excited too, but we didn't bite.
and the part where they go all wavy like a spanish dancer fish? fugeddaboudit, cause that is the insect wings beating very, very fast to keep the little critter airborne.
:D;) my opinion, of course, subject to revision upon presentation of verified facts discovered by somebody else

flying bugs. that is all they are.

Specifically, they're images of insects caught on cameras with high-speed shutter settings that have been improperly used (usually in high-contrast images) resulting in long wavy streaks.

Or more succinctly, they're complete bullshit and you shouldn't waste a second more of your time on them.

What a damn shame. I remember thinking that they looked really cool when i saw them in the documentary. I think it would be so cool if they were real....Oh well.....

my opinion, of course, subject to revision upon presentation of verified facts discovered by somebody else...

yup! that makes more sense than those little critters having to beat their wings really really really fast!

Specifically, they're images of insects caught on cameras with high-speed shutter settings that have been improperly used (usually in high-contrast images) resulting in long wavy streaks.

Or more succinctly, they're complete bullshit and you shouldn't waste a second more of your time on them.

I used to get the same thing in a dust free environment when insect activity was being monitored. We got plenty of rods flying in formation. What was the conclusions? Microscratches on the lens and refraction of light. End result? A very expensive repair.

Rods: An image artifact found in video when combining the two channels of said video. I am pretty sure that the history channel did a nice piece on this subject. They even included a bit explaining and demonstrating how a moving object (a Ford Taurus, I think) can created a stretched image on the viewscreen or television.

The final 3 minutes of the episode, they showed a "rod" image captured by a video camera, and the same image shot by a high speed camera showed the "rod" to be a moth.

I am pretty sure that the history channel did a nice piece on this subject. They even included a bit explaining and demonstrating how a moving object (a Ford Taurus, I think) can created a stretched image on the viewscreen or television.

The final 3 minutes of the episode, they showed a "rod" image captured by a video camera, and the same image shot by a high speed camera showed the "rod" to be a moth.

This was on MonsterQuest.

Not suprisingly Escamilla was not convinced. Go figure. But this is definitive evidence (IMO) that "Rods" are ridiculous figments of some peoples imagination. Not that we haven't identified some insects, but the whole "rods" slant is bunk.

Unidentified Flying Creatures

I wasn't promoting Escamilla's case as much as just presenting it. I know absolutely nothing about photography and will believe what the experts have to say about this, meaning Rods are not genuine paranormal beings or ships.

No, no Ally. I wasn't inferring anything about you mentioning him. He is pretty much the only one promoting this stuff. But I didn't think or mean to suggest you were in favor of him or his "theories". Just sharing.

If rods are truly fake then I think it is a shame. They looked so cool on the documentary I watched.
Can we be 100% sure that all reports of them are fake? How can I say this....? It is an analagous situation to ghosts in that so many are "just a trick of the light" or "an effect of the camera" or can be so easily explained away as not real...And yet there are some/a lot that cannot be explained at all. Should we be so quick to dismiss videos of rods with such finality.....That ALL are fake or explanable?
Just thinking....speculating......throwing ideas into the mix and seeing what happens....:confused:

Should we be so quick to dismiss videos of rods with such finality.....

Those shot from the ground are absolutely fake. Well, fake in the sense that they are really insects being mistakenly assigned the label "rods".

"Sky serpents" photographed at altitude or from space on the other hand are clearly something different from the conventional "rods". I've yet to hear a decent explanation for them.

["Sky serpents" photographed at altitude or from space on the other hand are clearly something different from the conventional "rods". I've yet to hear a decent explanation for them.[/QUOTE]

i have never seen anything re: sky serpents...I will have to google it...

Back