• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Andy Colvin Talks About John Keel and More

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
UFO and Mothman researcher Andy Colvin returns to The Paracast for a session scheduled for January 9, from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM Arizona time.

Andy Colvin has recently published two volumes of a proposed trilogy of John Keel books, which include various interviews and selected articles by Keel from various stages throughout his career. The are entitled Flying Saucer to the Center of Your Mind and The Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone.

Lots of meat to talk about here, so ask away.

Did you ever try calling mothman at home ? :)

In all seriousness do you know how the urban Legend about his phone number (304)675-5352 came to be ?

Apparently John Keel was the target of many pranks and hoaxes. On the other hand, he could leave reality far behind when it suited the story he was telling, and in a way, he was able to present some truth via fiction. I don't have specific question, but want to introduce two interrelated topics for conversation, hoaxes and fabrication.
- - - -

The material below is probably way too long to reference on the show, but I wanted to include it:
Transcribed from a tape of the Hoax Panel Discussion at the 1990 FortFest

John Keel said:” I think UFOlogy’s probably had more hoaxes than any other Fortean field....”
Later, Keel speaks again:
“One of Gray Barker’s hoaxes- the best one probably- is the Edwards Air Force Base hoax which you’ve all read about in UFO books. Gray Barker put out a memo in the form of a letter claiming that a UFO had landed at Edwards Air Force Base, and a group of distinguished people including President Eisenhower had visited the base to talk to these UFO people. And to give himself away, Gray included in the list of famous people who went there, the names of all his friends. He listed his friends. Nobody ever checked this memo out. And its now been published around the world in UFO books as being one of the great UFO incidents of the 1950s. And Gray Barker wherever he is, is still laughing.”

(Keel seems to be describing the Gerald Light letter to Meade Layne
Letter from Gerald Light to Meade Layne | April 16, 1954 | Project ETHERIA

I wrote Gray Barker's friend Jim Moseley about this and he called me up to say, it was complete B.S. and a good example of "Keel making stuff up out of whole cloth."

Last edited:
So we have a bullshitter calling bullshit on another bullshitter's claim about a third bullshitter. Great! And still we moan and groan because we don't get no respect.

1) Are you fascinated by Keel because you think he comes closer to others in identifying some type of truth behind the paranormal curtain? If not what's your specific connection to Keel and why is he someone we should be paying attention to now?

2) A Keelian Quote on UFO's: "Our skies have been filled with 'Trojan Horses' throughout history, and like the original Trojan horse, they seem to conceal hostile intent." Keel gets branded as a demonologist, and its a points proposed by him over and over again in his writing, that the paranormal phenomenon we are seeing is demonic in nature. What are the best proofs that Keel had to support his demonic theory when we have so few, if any, recorded, provable instances of humans being damaged, killed or tortured by UFO's or their occupants?

3) How much of a hoaxer and manipulator of the truth was Keel? After all wasn't the Mothman just a large barn Owl? What's your take on how truthful and valid are any of Keel's claims? (this is a nod to Sentry's comments above)

never hurts to be overcautious, if that is what keel is advising his public.

as far as him being valid turthful, there world may never knowl

Great show. BTW, Add Uri Geller to the list of psychics claiming to have been granted powers by aliens ( the Hoova ), if I recall correctly. I keep hearing how David Icke makes a lot of money. What I don't understand is what makes people take his fringe claims seriously, and how exactly does he actually make money doing it? Surely nobody who is seriously interested in alien visitation actually believes his far out claims? I also find it a bit curious how on one hand Colvin can go on and on about frauds and opportunists who exploit ufology, but then on the other talk about Mothman sightings as if we should simply take them at face value while pitching his own books ( and music ). Lastly when Chris asked Andrew what he has to say to people who suggest that Mothman is simply a misidentified owl, I must say that Gene's brief interjection kicked the entire episode up a notch ;) !

Back