• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

An ISS video of possible interest . . .

Constance

Paranormal Adept
What is the grey pancake-shaped object that comes in toward the camera (i.e., in the opposite direction of the space station's travel and much lower than the space station) becoming visible at 1:02 and exiting the screen at the lower left at about 1:08?

Btw, I just learned that one can slow the speed of videos by clicking the little gear at the bottom of the frame. (down to as low as .25 of normal speed)

VIDEO won't embed; here is the YT link:

ISS Timelapse - Asian fishing boats & double USA night pass (20/21/23 Settembre 2015)

Last edited:
Funny thing is that I came across the video at ATS where the OP wanted to call attention to two very fast-moving star-like objects traveling together, observable in the upper left of the screen at about :58 in. I couldn't see those at all, and no one else noticed the grey object moving lower in the video. @blowfish , what is the Japanese device you referred to, and is there a photo of it online?

Last edited:
I doubt CGI. According to the OP of the thread at ATS the video was "posted by AstronautiCAST, the Italian Space and Astronautics Association (ISAA)." (don't know anything about that agency)

This thing looks like an oofo to me. Run it in full screen, stop it at 1:08, look in the lower left corner for the closest image of it. What do you think?

Last edited:
What is the grey pancake-shaped object that comes in toward the camera (i.e., in the opposite direction of the space station's travel and much lower than the space station) becoming visible at 1:02 and exiting the screen at the lower left at about 1:08?

Btw, I just learned that one can slow the speed of videos by clicking the little gear at the bottom of the frame. (down to as low as .25 of normal speed)

VIDEO won't embed; here is the YT link:

ISS Timelapse - Asian fishing boats & double USA night pass (20/21/23 Settembre 2015)

What a Beautiful video.

Re the thing in the bottom left at 1 min 8 seconds: I think that it is an Island/s*.

It should be possible to find out the exact flight path the ISS took (there must be records somewhere) or alternatively you could get an approximate location using google maps (but you would have to establish a reference point first)

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing:
iss.png

*maybe Hawaii or Midway

Funny thing is that I came across the video at ATS where the OP wanted to call attention to two very fast-moving star-like objects traveling together, observable in the upper left of the screen at about :58 in. I couldn't see those at all, and no one else noticed the grey object moving lower in the video. @blowfish , what is the Japanese device you referred to, and is there a photo of it online?

The sci-fi technology scalar weapon and emp reflector.

What a Beautiful video.

Re the thing in the bottom left at 1 min 8 seconds: I think that it is an Island/s*.

It should be possible to find out the exact flight path the ISS took (there must be records somewhere) or alternatively you could get an approximate location using google maps (but you would have to establish a reference point first)

iss.png

*maybe Hawaii or Midway

My first thought was Midway
or Kwajalein Atoll as it looked somewhat small and remote but at the same time a little built up like there was a military base there

Last edited:
What a Beautiful video.

iss.png

*maybe Hawaii or Midway

Thanks for the enlargement and response, Han. I watched the video several more times last night and also thought it might be an island. Wade suggests the possibility is that what we see might be Kwajalein Atoll which is one of the Marshall Islands according to information at this link:

Geography and Map of the Marshall Islands

I had speculated that it might be Diego Rivera, but I know very little about world geography. Can anyone tell from the land masses adjacent to whatever ocean the ISS passes over at that point which ocean it is that lies beneath? Whatever island it is or might be, it does appear as @Wade says to be somewhat "built up" as if there is a military base there.

Would you be willing to post another still frame from the video just before the island disappears from the frame, when it is most visible, at exactly 1:08? It seem to me to be well-lit in that last frame, especially at what would be sea level, with some kind of seemingly arched structures above the lights? That particular frame also shows in the upper right an extremely brilliant light that has moved quickly up in the video and appears at 1:08 to be poised just above the outer extension of the ISS visible in the right of the frame. Some people at ATS have speculated that this light might be a satellite.

Last edited:
This is from a/theWorld Atlas site at the link:

"Located in the northern Pacific, the Marshall Islands consist of 24 low-lying coral atolls comprising 1,156 individual islands and islets. These atolls and islands form two groups: the Ratak Chain and the Ralik Chain (meaning "sunrise" and "sunset").

The general landscape is sandy as most of these islands rise only a few feet above sea level, with the highest point being an unnamed hill on Likiep which peaks at only 32 ft. (10 m)."

Marshall Islands Map / Geography of the Marshall Islands / Map of the Marshall Islands - Worldatlas.com - WorldAtlas.com

Here is an aerial photo of Kwajalein Atoll:

kwaj.jpg

Pictures, Photos and Images of Kwajalein Atoll in The Marshall Islands - Page 1

This map suggests that the ISS might have been orbiting over the land mass ending on the lower left and thence over the Pacific and the Marshall Islands. I just wonder if any of those islands would be so brightly lit and 'built-up' looking as what appears in the video.

pacmap2.gif

More about the Kwajalein Atoll:

"The size and location ofthe lagoon made it an ideal impact area for ICBMs launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. To study the reentry physics of the ICBMs, ARPA selected RoiNamur, the northernmost island of the atoll. as the site for a radar system. Thus Project PRESS (Pacific Range Electromagnetic Signature Studies). KREMS's original name, commenced and Lincoln Laboratory became the scientific director of the project. (At about the same time. the U.S. Army also chose Kwajalein as a downrange test site for ikeZeus, an antiballistic-missile project.)"

https://www.ll.mit.edu/publications/journal/pdf/vol02_no2/2.2.7.kiernanreentry.pdf

Hi Constance my feeling is that: it is a more northerly lying island because: I believe you can see the "northern lights" (to the left of the screen as we are looking at it.) but I could be wrong.

@Han, I'll have to look again. I thought that the northern lights, forming a beautiful green ring, came up in the second part of the video which I believe was obtained the day/night after the first part. The description of the video by the Italian group that posted it notes (in the early information shown before the start of the video) that the video clips assembled were obtained over three successive days in September.

Also do you know what those wispy vertical extensions are that crop up in the region of the limb at one point? They look something like geysers.

Anyway, would you freeze the frame of the video at 1:08 as a whole, and also include an enlargement of the island/oofo at that moment? Please and thank you. :) I've never been able to follow through with the processes you explained to me some time ago to do this kind of thing.

Last edited:
@Han, Oh yes, you are right, the green northern lights do appear at that point in the video. So my guesses about the item in question at 1:02 -- 1:08 likely is not the main island of the Kwajelein Atoll. I'd almost accepted that theory as an explanation of the object after looking at some satellite images of the Atoll, in one of which the shape of a large island (likely Kwajelein island itself) was relatively similar to the object I've pointed out in the video and there also appeared to be three small lights along the side of it most visible in the satellite imagery.

I wonder where this island is then, if it's an island?

Last edited:
Back