• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Amazon promises fix for creepy Alexa laugh:

Han

piscator ψ
Amazon’s Alexa has been letting out an unprompted, creepy cackle - startling users of the best-selling voice assistant.

The laugh, described by some as “witch like” was reported to sometimes happen without the device being “woken” up.

Amazon promises fix for creepy Alexa laugh

Incidents like this, where an assistant seems to rebel against its owner, naturally further this concern. That said, most users on social media have reacted with humour, drawing parallels with HAL 9000 from the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey.

“I’m sorry, Dave,” the machine famously said. “I’m afraid I can’t do that."

This didn't make me think of Space Odyssey, it made me think about a film called Demon Seed (1977):

Demon Seed (1977) - IMDb

Which is quite prophetic in some ways.

Back