• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Am curious what Paracasters think of US money crisis.

Simone_m

Skilled Investigator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

President Obama and John Boehner are -stuck- at a momentous unprecedented American crossroads. I knew it would come to this. Too strong ideological stubborness. The President keeps calling my insurance policy (SSI) "entitlements". Dudes, I am feeling extremely afraid for August 3. I know, I keep hearing people say, "He is just using scare tactics at the expense of the elderly, disabled, and veterans." But I Truly Believe, 'Oh Yes He can'. These control freaks are a -different- -breed- of homosapien. I have a mother who lives on her Social Security Retirement, alone. She is going in for some serious surgery, at the end of this month. Thanks with the help of Medicare. She lives with one of my brothers, who has been disabled all his life, and his only income is 'SSI'. (As opposed to SSDI for those of us who worked many years.) They are both stuck in a house paying a mortgage, which my older sister fenagled for them, in a hurry, to get them out of the previous house one of my other brothers had them living in, because he is a drinker who was becoming increasingly threatening to everyone. A house as opposed to an apartment, because they have four animal children, two big dogs, and two cats. I have two (big!) cats.
'(When') (?) those in Washington put a stop on this lifeline money come August third, everyone will not buy groceries and bathroom stuff. No more customers for stores. Maybe many people will tweetmeet to smash and loot. They'v already been doing it. Do the psychopaths on the Hill think we are all gonna just sit here and twiddle our thumbs, whistling Dixie? Maybe watch some America's Got talent, while not knowing when we and our pets will eat next time? really? I can't believe it.
Just perfect, during this killer heatwave, and horrors abroad in Norway. The trauma just never never never ends.

As far as the politics go, Boehner needs to get his caucus in order and stop being a crybaby. Obama is getting nailed by his own party, its a deal that favors traditional Republicans. The problem is we have a bunch of amateur "politicians" (the Tea Party) who refuse to compromise on anything. I think Obama used to be similarly stubborn...until his party got massacred in the last election.

You're right about the Norway incidents, absolutely horrifying. My thoughts go out to the families whose children were brutally murdered.

This President of mine is the strangest bird ever. The Democrats had a meeting with him recently, because they can't figure out what his core loyalty is. I can't figure out if he has no spine or just utterly no stance on anything. And I keep hearing people say "he's very smart" but I don't think so, I cannot tell. He just pronounces "nuclear" correct.

This President of mine is the strangest bird ever. The Democrats had a meeting with him recently, because they can't figure out what his core loyalty is. I can't figure out if he has no spine or just utterly no stance on anything. And I keep hearing people say "he's very smart" but I don't think so, I cannot tell. He just pronounces "nuclear" correct.

He is serving in strange times and inherited a mess. He certainly hasn't helped himself out, especially in the beginning of his term. I think he is beginning to become more politically savy and has compromised on much legislation (yes even on health care). Hes certainly a very bright and intelligent man, but will he be able to get re-elected? The 2012 election will be a nasty fight, that is for sure. What does he stand for? Well, he is a politician, it usually depends on which way the wind is blowing...

Nuclear? You must mean "nucular". Oh wait, you're right, I guess 8 years of DUBYA dulled my pronunciation of the word. I really need to go through my Bushism books again.

Strategery!

Yesser, maybe Barry Hussein is a'fiddin to strateetitjize.

Seriously, when I watch him and Boehner dramatize, it's so surreal, it looks like they are acting. Something I had seen before. When I was in the military, and certain authorities wanted to be intimidating, I could see an acting going on, even though it still intimidated me, becuz I was younger and dumber than I am now.

In terms of the basic economics, there really is no money crisis. This is a political crisis fueled by ideologues in the House who are intent on wrecking health care reform (what little we got), social security, and the social safety net. If you compare the U.S. to other developed nations, we tax less and provide less for our citizenry than just about any other country. Further, these people don't seem to understand that if you cut government spending drastically, you shrink aggregate demand as well as the overall economy. You shrink the economy and get less employment. Fewer jobs, and people and businesses spend less. Further, triggering an artificially induced debt default is wildly dangerous, as we don't know how the markets will react and can only anticipate (possibly with horror) a big drop in the value of the dollar and an unprecedented kindling of inflation at levels we've not seen before in recent times. In other words, this political crisis poses big risks for the economy -- and us.

Yep, I have referred to the default before, as an economic apocalypse. It's not going to just affect my loved ones and me, it will the economy in general. Huge ramifications. My fellows over at ATS like to often mention "when the SHTF" (shit hits the fan) but they were always referring to something like a post massive comet hit or sun pulse killshot. Whoda thunk it would stem from these two guys?

I'm not sure how to apportion the blame for this crisis. The White House appears inept in some respects, and it is clear that a certain House faction won't settle for less than a dramatic commitment to cut entitlements as well as federal spending more generally. But, so many people are ignorant about basic economics. Is it any wonder that we've got the politicians we have and such posturing over nonsense going on!

It's ironic that many of the right wingers currently hurling self-righteous stones in phony outrage over lack of fiscal responsibility have themselves been among the biggest spenders. Give us a break.
Politics is the art of compromise.

It's all an act. It is a poorly played artificial drama in which all sides are playing thier respective parts in unison.
Which group of people would be easier to control?
1. Well paid, well fed, confident, at ease with job security, plenty of spare time to keep up with government goings on and keeping an eye out for corrupt businesses like Haliburton to prosecute.
OR
2. Out of work or low wage part time job, worried about insurance or lack of, worried about losing home or have already lost home, scared of what the country is coming too, scared of the next terror attack, terrified of a impending Depression.

Group 1 is hard to control, and even harder to make a buck of off through shady means. They are not easily scared and think their lifestyle protects them. They won't put up with government malfeasance and corruption. In other words, they have the time and the means to meddle in government affairs.

Group 2 is scared, confused sheep--easily pliable and easily controled with fear (fear tending to shut down the critical thinking abilities). They also lack the time to really pay attention to what's going on in the world around them, they are virtually powerless and have NO money to stop those in power from abusing said power for personal gain.

You tell me which of these groups the majority of Americans are today?

Then ask yourself why that is.

Mark my words carefully here...the deadline of this debt crisis is manufactured. Once it passes (and things get "resolved" as in the manner for which they usually do) we will be on to the next big "crisis."

It's ironic that many of the right wingers currently hurling self-righteous stones in phony outrage over lack of fiscal responsibility have themselves been among the biggest spenders. Give us a break.
Politics is the art of compromise.

Yeah, and in regards to their phony outrage at lack of fiscal responsibility, they have been the BIGGEST welfare recipients. As well.

Yesser, maybe Barry Hussein is a'fiddin to strateetitjize.

Seriously, when I watch him and Boehner dramatize, it's so surreal, it looks like they are acting. Something I had seen before. When I was in the military, and certain authorities wanted to be intimidating, I could see an acting going on, even though it still intimidated me, becuz I was younger and dumber than I am now.

Boehner is such a sweet guy though, I mean hes so sensitive and.....SCREW IT...HES A FRIGGIN TOOL

Teusday night Wednesday morning, oh1200am, the social insurance benefits ball ends, and we all turn into doomed rotting pumpkins.

Here is a vid about the leaders who got the US to this point today.

They are all a bunch of WEIRDOS!!!

So I just watched a "Breaking News" press conference a few minutes ago.

Harry Reid: "We are headed for economic disaster".

In relative peace times... (ie. no world wars), battles are fought on economic fronts. There are less deaths but more long term pains and adjustments to deal with. Eventually we'll return to a global war cycle with taunts like these from emerging super-powers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/b...reditor-says-us-has-only-itself-to-blame.html

What is worrisome is a deeper chasm between liberal and conservative factions in the US. If they can't work in bi-partisan mode I expect nothing less than a collapse. What Bush showed the world during his presidency are the shocking religious fundamentalist roots and the kind of elites that supported his brand of republican politics and shaped his policies. This is what Obama faces every day... easy to imagine how compromising with that face of america has to be extremely painful to live with.

There is a big hole in US politics. A leader with a clear vision of where to go and how to get there is missing. What you've got is a leader with problems in a bad economy with his feet stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan. If I was Obama, I'd rather have to deal with a Chinese party than a republican party lol.

Well, August 3 came and went and it was all an ambiguous blur to me, which I still do not understand. WHAT HAPPENED THERE??? I was following the chat forums ATS and democraticunderground and simultaneously- I was constantly going from MSNBC to FOX to CNN (and those other 2) and all I KNOW TODAY is that people who were awaiting Social Security that day, recieved it, but I still do not understand, with all those info outlets at my fingertips, what the status in US government is today. I -feel- certain however, that important facts are being withheld.

I truly----must have a low IQ from sticking with Internet Explorer Browser, just like that one (hoaxed?) story perpetuated. (Errrr perpetcheetooded....)

Back