• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Third Term for Obama -- Give Me a Break!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Someone has been running ads on both liberal and conservative radio telling of the great conspiracy to give Obama a third term.

Here's a pretty straightforward rebuttal:

Obama's third term (not) - Obama Conspiracy Theories

As the article reminds us, the theorists have forgotten the 22nd amendment, ratified in 1951, which prevents such things from happening. Well, there goes another conspiracy fantasy.

images

I like the way it says "Husseins" snake oil.
Of course there was one for Baby Bush too.....

images

Someone has been running ads on both liberal and conservative radio telling of the great conspiracy to give Obama a third term. Here's a pretty straightforward rebuttal: Obama's third term (not) - Obama Conspiracy Theories As the article reminds us, the theorists have forgotten the 22nd amendment, ratified in 1951, which prevents such things from happening. Well, there goes another conspiracy fantasy.
Get real and then gimme a break! This last election was for a Bush 7th term: GHWB, ClintonX2, GWBX2, ObamaX2 were all Bushed, IMO... see me after class for any questions or explanations...

It is 100% impossable for any president to have a 3rd term even if he wanted. To get a 3rd term the 22nd amendment would have to be repeled. Hardly a secret endevor.and can you imagane a president pushing for such? ? No president in his right mind would try...

Whether he's in his right mind or not is a matter of opinion, I don't agree with a lot of his policies but I'm glad he won instead of that Mormon nutcase Romney. His state of mind is also completely irrelevant, it would take an amendment to the constitution to get him a third term and the president has absolutely no say whatsoever in that process:

There are essentially two ways spelled out in the Constitution for how to propose an amendment. One has never been used.

The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for the bill to be approved as an amendment (for example, see the 21st and 22nd).

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.

Regardless of which of the two proposal routes is taken, the amendment must be ratified, or approved, by three-fourths of states. There are two ways to do this, too. The text of the amendment may specify whether the bill must be passed by the state legislatures or by a state convention. See the Ratification Convention Page for a discussion of the make up of a convention. Amendments are sent to the legislatures of the states by default.

Only one amendment, the 21st, specified a convention. In any case, passage by the legislature or convention is by simple majority.
The Constitution, then, spells out four paths for an amendment:
  • Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state conventions (never used)
  • Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state legislatures (never used)
  • Proposal by Congress, ratification by state conventions (used once)
  • Proposal by Congress, ratification by state legislatures (used all other times)
It is interesting to note that at no point does the President have a role in the formal amendment process (though he would be free to make his opinion known). He cannot veto an amendment proposal, nor a ratification. This point is clear in Article 5, and was reaffirmed by the Supreme Court in Hollingsworth v Virginia (3 US 378 [1798])

So, in essence, he would need a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate and ratification of the proposed amendment by 3/4 of the state legislatures. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell of either of those ever happening. I think the birther morons and conspiratards who make up crap like this (even though his second term hasn't even officially begun yet:rolleyes: ) can rest peacefully knowing that this will never happen.

Maudib you are perpetuating the left/right paradigm. There is NO difference between the guy with the magic underpants or the goofball script reader that showed up outta nowhere with no real experience in leadership. You my friend have been conned into thinking there are only two parties that matter. If you voted for either a democrat OR a republican you are contributing to the demise of this once great Nation and the ushering in of a UN based form of government.

Maudib you are perpetuating the left/right paradigm. There is NO difference between the guy with the magic underpants or the goofball script reader that showed up outta nowhere with no real experience in leadership. You my friend have been conned into thinking there are only two parties that matter. If you voted for either a democrat OR a republican you are contributing to the demise of this once great Nation and the ushering in of a UN based form of government.

This is nonsense my friend. Do they serve the same masters? Probably, but here's the thing, their ideas for where to take this country and how it should be governed are vastly different. One party wants to outlaw abortions, even in cases of rape, incest or a threat to the health of the mother, one party does not. One party wants to destroy the safety net of social programs in this country, one party does not. One party wants to raise taxes on the poor and middle class, one party thinks the rich should be paying more. These are just three examples, and there are many more, of the differences between the left and right. I'm sorry but if you really and truly believe there are no differences between the democrats and republicans then you haven't been paying attention.

This is nonsense my friend. Do they serve the same masters? Probably, but here's the thing, their ideas for where to take this country and how it should be governed are vastly different. One party wants to outlaw abortions, even in cases of rape, incest or a threat to the health of the mother, one party does not. One party wants to destroy the safety net of social programs in this country, one party does not. One party wants to raise taxes on the poor and middle class, one party thinks the rich should be paying more. These are just three examples, and there are many more, of the differences between the left and right. I'm sorry but if you really and truly believe there are no differences between the democrats and republicans then you haven't been paying attention.

No... you haven't been paying attention to history. The "divide and conquer strategy" has been utilized for thousands of years. They are dividing this Nation very effectively don't you think? Conquering is next and they are doing a very good job at that right now as well. You are given the illusion that voting for one of two sides will change things when in fact you are a frog in a pot of water and the heat has been turned up. It should not be that hard to see what is going on, even I can see it.

I think you're being a tad bit over dramatic. You said there were no differences, I pointed out some very obvious differences. Dividing the nation? The last time I looked we've been divided on issues like the ones I pointed out for a very long time, and yet we're still here. Whether things would've changed or not is speculation, I can only go by what Romney and his semi psychotic ilk in the Republican party said they wanted to accomplish if they were elected. Whether you choose to acknowledge the differences between the two parties is entirely up to you, but they are definitely there. Saying there is no divide in the ideology of the two parties is simply untrue.

I totally acknowledge the differences between ideologies. I have been a supporter of both dems and reps. But the differences are like apples and oranges, both very different but both are fruit. Yes you are correct we have been divided on issues for a very long time. Factor in the average life span of an empire and we are due to fall... soon.

I totally acknowledge the differences between ideologies. I have been a supporter of both dems and reps. But the differences are like apples and oranges, both very different but both are fruit. Yes you are correct we have been divided on issues for a very long time. Factor in the average life span of an empire and we are due to fall... soon.

Fair enough, I see what you're getting at. I agree with your point about them both being fruits, many of them in more ways than one probably:p

Whether we're due to fall soon or not, only time will tell. I'm ready either way.

The dingbats who feed on this kind of garbage are addicted to their own anger, and need a fix pretty much every day. A huge industry has developed over the years to service the fools. Like other kinds of addicts, they are easily manipulated. It really is sad.

Thi is typical of the kind of cheap shot mind rot that, IMO, played a role in the Republicans' defeat in the 2012 election. Shades of the shrill and paranoic birther movement. It lends the entire right side of the political spectrum an air of knuckleheaded fanaticism.

Dang, ain't THAT the truth. Democratic systems have a life-span of about 200 years... what's next for the big US? I dunno, but I think all those well-armed citizens may have a role in deciding where we go and how, etc!

Dang, ain't THAT the truth. Democratic systems have a life-span of about 200 years... what's next for the big US? I dunno, but I think all those well-armed citizens may have a role in deciding where we go and how, etc!
you got that right Chris. contrary to what obama says, the 2nd amendment was not created to hunt animals. here in Minnesota most people are VERY well armed and supplied with lots of ammo.

Back