• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A.T.F.L.I.R. degraded Video

Ezechiel

Paranormal Adept
John Alexander mentioned that the video was definitely degraded for 'national security' reasons... well how much degradation would you expect on a 2004 ATFLIR video ? ;)

atflir2t.jpg

Here was the situation back in 1999:
Advanced Targeting Forward Looking Infrared (ATFLIR) First Flight
"The ATFLIR images I saw today were crisp, clear and very stable." Those were the words of the Advanced Weapons Laboratory ATFLIR Project Officer and F/A-18 Weapon Systems Operator (WSO) Major Jeff Webb after flying the first flight with the Advanced Targeting Forward Looking Infrared, ATFLIR. Weapons Test Squadron Pilot LCDR Greg Huffman piloted the mission in an F/A-18D, at the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD) Land Ranges at China Lake, California.

"ATFLIR provides a tremendous increase in resolution and a greater magnification... ATFLIR's magnification is 30X versus previous FLIR capabilities at 4X. We have made a huge leap today," said Webb.

... is this video really degraded ? ... maybe a question for Frevor or Slaight ?

Here's Lockheed Martin Sniper Targeting Pod image quality in 2013

SU-22 shot down by F/A-18E Jun 18 2017
VFA-31-ATFLIR-Su-22-shot-down.jpg

This VFA-131 cruise video includes rare ATFLIR view of a Russian Flanker encountered during anti-ISIS mission

Video removed sadly...
F-4-in-ATFLIR-706x565.jpg

Last edited:
I'd guess its an mfd(multi function display aka heads down) view, not a HUD view, there is some basic flight info such as mach number and altitude, but the view is ringed by the flir functions that match up with the mfd. The mfd could be recorded too. But i doubt they would fly the aircraft in relation to the target with the mfd alone, im assuming they had a visual on it, or got a radar lock first, then slaved the flir to the radar.

I understand the video is from 2004, and honestly that is about the quality I would expect from 2004, but I really hope we have better tech now. It should switch from FLIR to regular so upon review, color can be seen etc..

Back