• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

300-million-year-old UFO tooth-wheel found in Russian city of Vladivostok

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[I LOVE archaeological finds like this latest one that makes all-knowing scientists scratch their aching heads and descend back into the depths of denial—chris]

Article HERE:

Lighting the fire during a cold winter evening a resident of Vladivostok found a rail-shaped metal detail which was pressed in one of the pieces of coal that the man used to heat his home. Mesmerized by his discovery, the responsible citizen decided to seek help from the scientists of Primorye region. After the metal object was studied by the leading experts the man was shocked to learn about the assumed age of his discovery. The metal detail was supposedly 300 million years old and yet the scientists suggest that it was not created by nature but was rather manufactured by someone. The question of who might have made an aluminum gear in the dawn of time remains unanswered. Nowadays, finding a strange artifact in coal is a relatively frequent occurrence.

The first discovery of this sort was made in 1851 when the workers in one of the Massachusetts mines extracted a zinc silver-incrusted vase from a block of unmined coal which dated all the way back to the Cambrian era which was approximately 500 million years ago. Sixty one years later, American scientists from Oklahoma discovered an iron pot which was pressed into a piece of coal aged 312 million years old. Then, in 1974, an aluminum assembly part of unknown origin was found in a sandstone quarry in Romania. Reminiscent of a hammer or a support leg of a spacecraft “Apollo”, the piece dated back to the Jurassic era and could not have been manufactured by a human. All of these discoveries not only puzzled the experts but also undermined the most fundamental doctrines of modern science.

The metal detail which was recently found by Vladivostok resident is yet another discovery which perplexed the scientists. The coal in which the metal object was pressed was delivered to Primorye from Chernogorodskiy mines of Khakasia region. Knowing that the coal deposits of this region date 300 million years back, Russian experts inferred that the metal detail found in these deposits must be an age-mate of the coal.

toothwheel.jpg

When geologists broke the piece of coal in which the metal object was pressed into and spot-treated in with special chemical agents, it turned out that the metal detail was unusually light and soft. No more than seven centimeters long, the object was found to be composed of 98 percent aluminum and 2 percent magnesium. On the one hand, such an alloy stalled the scientists because nearly pure aluminum is very rarely found in nature. Thus, the detail was most definitely created artificially. On the other hand, however, when it became clear that the object was made from aluminum-magnesium alloy the experts quickly found an answer to the question of how a metal detail could withstand the ravages of time so well. The scientists explained that pure aluminum is increasingly prone to oxidization which contributes to the creation of a special layer protecting it from further corrosion. As a result, the metal detail made 98 percent from aluminum can endure not only high pressure but also heat and other severe natural conditions.

Another question that interests Russian scientists is whether the aluminum alloy is of Earthly origin. It is known from the study of meteorites that there exists extra-terrestrial aluminum-26 which subsequently breaks down to magnesium-26. The presence of 2 percent of magnesium in the alloy might well point to the alien origin of the aluminum detail. Nonetheless, further testing is needed to confirm this hypothesis.

The last property of the object that puzzled the scientists was its distinctive shape which was reminiscent of a modern tooth-wheel. It is hard to imagine that an object could take regular shape of a tooth-wheel with six identical ‘teeth’ naturally. Moreover, the intervals between the ‘teeth’ of the gear are curiously large in relation to the size of the ‘teeth’ themselves which might mean that the detail was a part of a complicated mechanism. Nowadays, such ‘spare parts’ are used in construction of microscopes and other mechanical appliances. This poses yet another unanswerable question to the modern scientists: how can the metal tooth-wheel be 300 million years old if the regular-shaped ‘wheel’ itself was created by man millions of years later.
Read more HERE:

I ran across this one a while back and some of the skeptics are saying it comes from a mining bore that uses a disc with spinning teeth that can become lodged inside the material it's boring through. On a related note. I watched a show called America Unearthed the other day. It was quite good. Here's one episode about the Mineasota Giants ...

Last edited:
I love these types of finds too. It is one of my favorite things to read about. Thanks for posting this Chris.

I actually agree with Lance but I still like reading about these finds and what people claim them to be.

Which scientists were shaking their heads? There's not a single name in the article.

It's hard to imagine how anyone wouldn't notice the obvious red flags in this idiotic article. Let's start with the fact that the headline calls a metal thing found in the ground a UFO tooth wheel(!).. how does it become UFO-connected EXCEPT through the unimaginable credulity of those who have no idea about archeology, geology, science, logic, research, etc. etc.

Why do people laugh at UFO believers? Really? Do you have no idea?

Here's a link with adults discussing this nonsense:

Come on, Russian media! A “UFO tooth-wheel”? Silly. (Update: not extraordinary) | Doubtful News
Ahhh, the ever-present Lance Moody. Couldn't resist the chance to get yer crusty digs in and insult me, I see. Michael Cremo's book Forbidden Archaeology is filled with well-documented archaeological anomalies. Care to take that book on with your patented brand of dismissive arrogance? Good to have you back, play nicely, if you would be so kind?

I actually agree with Lance but I still like reading about these finds and what people claim them to be.
Me too. Just passing along the news article. There are many out-of-place artifacts that have no rational explanation. Anyone, scientists included, who are in denial about these perplexing finds is misinformed, not well read or perhaps deluded.

Which scientists were shaking their heads? There's not a single name in the article.
It's hard to imagine how anyone wouldn't notice the obvious red flags in this idiotic article. Let's start with the fact that the headline calls a metal thing found in the ground a UFO tooth wheel(!).. how does it become UFO-connected EXCEPT through the unimaginable credulity of those who have no idea about archeology, geology, science, logic, research, etc. etc.
Why do people laugh at UFO believers? Really? Do you have no idea?
Here's a link with adults discussing this nonsense:
Lance, for Pete's sake, your skepticism is missed, and we could use more of that, but do you really have to add in the anti-ufology rhetoric? These kinds of headlines are obviously exploiting an interest in UFOs to generate controversy for the sake of ratings, and you're buying into the ploy by using it as an opportunity to do a little ufology bashing, when instead you should be blaming the tactics of the media. They're the ones adding the noise. You and I are the ones trying to filter it out. So why insist on putting us on opposite sides of the fence?

Last edited:
While not overly skeptical, my first thought was a cutting tooth from a mining tool. Any way to get the names and models of the tools involved? In any case I find it pleasing to think that any of these ooparts represent true mysteries.

While not overly skeptical, my first thought was a cutting tooth from a mining tool. Any way to get the names and models of the tools involved? In any case I find it pleasing to think that any of these ooparts represent true mysteries.
Back when I first ran across the article, and I looked into it, someone had actually posted pictures of the cutting wheel with the bits. I was skeptical of that explanation because the materials of the artifact aren't as hard as would be expected for that kind of tool. The article that @lancemoody posted seems more promising. Although that being said, custom car wheels are made out of an aluminum/magnesium alloy, as are some engine blocks ... so I suppose it still could be from a mining tool. Perhaps it became softer because it heated up and lost its temper. I've tried to get something more definitive on OOPARTS over the years, but haven't had much luck. So far there's always been some mundane explanation. However, the video I posted above features a "forensic geologist" who digs into these kinds of things. If you like alt history, check him out.

I ran across this one a while back and some of the skeptics are saying it comes from a mining bore that uses a disc with spinning teeth that can become lodged inside the material it's boring through. On a related note. I watched a show called America Unearthed the other day. It was quite good. Here's one episode about the Mineasota Giants ...

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of America Unearthed but it quickly became a show about Scott Wolter showboating and promoting his "Hooked X" theory. The last couple of episodes became so entangled in the Knights Templar/freemasons that I just tuned out. However, if you can ignore most of what Wolter says he does bring attention to some of the archaeological anomalies in America. The US has tons of sites and out-of-place objects that are very interesting and question accepted theories of human migration to North America. The episode on the Mayans in Georgia was very good and that theory jives some Southeastern Native traditions. Finding the Mayans in Georgia Video - America Unearthed - H2 on History.com
I think Wolter overstates a lot in this episode too, but Richard Thornton has some good theories. To get a skeptical counterview, Jason Covalito did a couple of posts on America Unearthed and Richard Thornton.

Last edited:
The findings of objects out of time are certainly some of the most enticing of anomalous tales. It points to this notion that previous civilizations were much more advanced than we give them credit. Instead of celebrating accomplishments in architecture, math, medicine and science we tend to think of our previous ancestors as a helpless lot that needed the proverbial alien to show us what's what. Apparently human ingenuity can only be found post-industrial revolution or something like that.

However, in the cases of things found in coal, rock etc. we might consider Ockham as the way to go. Somehow, there must be a process that allows for contemporary objects to be embedded in ancient coal. You won't find that on Lance's link, and as an aside, I don't understand why skeptical thinking undervalues itself by insulting other points of view so often.

Anyway, one of the classic finds is from 1912 in Pennsylvannia where an iron pot was found embedded in 300 million year old coal. If we can just skip past the part where we really need to have thoroughly documented and witnessed objects coming out of the coal at the point of reporting we should consider how the pot or gear could have got there. Is it possible that during previous mining of these coal seams that someone dropped the iron pot into a coal slury that years later hardened again, only to be mined many more years later to become a great anomalous story for Jerome Clark to write about? Yes, it sure can. After reading the paleo guy's critical discussion on this iron pot, and supposed human footprints walking with dinosaurs I've come to a different conclusion and lost just one more bit of human mystery and lore that my teenage mind held to be amazing.

Alleged Iron Pot in Coal

So not to discount Chris' point of view entirely, this does seem to be a rational explanation for most of the out of time objects in coal.

A modern day drill made of 98% pure aluminum?
That wouldn't last anytime at all, Al being relatively soft and would quickly grind away while drilling. That tooth being a modern drill bit is not an explanation, .....that's a "go-away-don't-bother-me" sticking your head in the sand fairy tale.
I don't see how the drill bit theory could hold up at all.

Now, if it was broken off a piece of equipment after it was already mined, I could understand that, sort of.
But that still doesn't answer the question , why use such a soft metal wouldn't last long in the capacity of being a gear?

Back