• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

100 Year Starship Initiative

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Introduction:

In 2012, DARPA awarded The Dorothy Jemison Foundation for Excellence $500,000 to setup the 100 Year Starship initiative, its mission to make interstellar flights possible in the next 100 years. Former NASA astronaut Dr. Mae Jemison will lead the global multi-partner organization. Dr. Jemison, the world’s first woman of color to travel in space (1992’s Space Shuttle Endeavour), brings to her leadership role her vast experience as an engineer, physician, professor, former Peace Corps medical officer, and entrepreneur. Known for achieving the improbable, Dr. Jemison also brings a spirit of audacity, innovation and inclusion to 100YSS.

Dr. Mae Jemison makes her pitch

Last edited:
Build The Enterprise:

The BuildTheEnterprise (BTE) website describes how to build the first USS Enterprise spaceship, based on technologies within our reach, over the next twenty years. You read that right. It’s possible for the United States of America to build the first generation of USS Enterprise given the national will to do so. ...

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

cropped-banner1.jpg

Last edited:
If only Harry Turtledove's story "Half the Battle" were available on the Net... it could give a subtle clue, to some, to make this much more likely...

Introduction:

In 2012, DARPA awarded The Dorothy Jemison Foundation for Excellence $500,000 to setup the 100 Year Starship initiative, its mission to make interstellar flights possible in the next 100 years. Former NASA astronaut Dr. Mae Jemison will lead the global multi-partner organization. Dr. Jemison, the world’s first woman of color to travel in space (1992’s Space Shuttle Endeavour), brings to her leadership role her vast experience as an engineer, physician, professor, former Peace Corps medical officer, and entrepreneur. Known for achieving the improbable, Dr. Jemison also brings a spirit of audacity, innovation and inclusion to 100YSS.

Dr. Mae Jemison makes her pitch

$500,000 five hundred thousand dollars.
or about three hundred thousand pounds £300,000.
Gareth Bale (Football/soccer player) earns that amount each WEEK!
or for more contex "The US Embassy has run up more than 63,000 congestion charge fines - and owe British authorities more than £7.2 million in unpaid fines"*.
What I am getting at is that 500k will not even buy a tyre for a "black budget project" type of aircraft/space ship. (in my opinion).
I get the distinct feeling that space exploration, is on the back burner for the moment.
However I am sure that a "Gold rush" would start if there was a proven method of extracting or generating wealth from space exploration. (As long as the same old fat cats were getting the cream).

$500,000 five hundred thousand dollars.
or about three hundred thousand pounds £300,000.
Gareth Bale (Football/soccer player) earns that amount each WEEK!
or for more contex "The US Embassy has run up more than 63,000 congestion charge fines - and owe British authorities more than £7.2 million in unpaid fines"*.
What I am getting at is that 500k will not even buy a tyre for a "black budget project" type of aircraft/space ship. (in my opinion).
I get the distinct feeling that space exploration, is on the back burner for the moment.
However I am sure that a "Gold rush" would start if there was a proven method of extracting or generating wealth from space exploration. (As long as the same old fat cats were getting the cream).
I couldn't agree more. 500K won't even get us into orbit, let alone to the next star system. But that wasn't the plan either. The idea was that it should be enough to make a pitch to convince people with more money to get behind the idea. Now if I only had 400 billion dollars I could give it all away to build the first starship Enterprise.

Last edited:
Wow thanks guys this has sent my imagination racing!
I would the first to admit that I am very naive in terms of astrology and space travel/exploration, I think because I learned at an early age that "we know more about deep space than we do about the deeps of the oceans" I have focused on water. The more I learn about space the more similar it seems to the sea.
If we take deep sea drilling as an example, the technology of the machinery over the course of my life time, has improved dramatically, we can now reach oil/gas beds that were impossible to mine even 20 years ago, however some of the most basic questions regarding the inhabitants of the sea remain unanswered, for example where do eels actually spawn? etc
What I am trying to say is that it appears to me that investment in the search for wealth will always outweigh the search for "life", unless it turns out that we can rob E.T. or turn them into something that we consider valuable, like we did with the great Whales. (industrial whaling).

I am sorry that I am such a cynic, but when I look at how we treat our planet, I can not trust that our behaviour in space would be any different. This is one area where I hope that I am wrong :)

Back