• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Insurrection USA 2021

To throw one more thought out there... over beers one of my conservative friends a few months ago said breathlessly something to the effect of:

"Can you believe that the University has a safe room? One where liberal students can go to get away from conservative viewpoints and be safe because they think things like talking about politics is a micro-aggression? That's so ridiculous!"

Now, I don't know if such things exist, but I do know that I wouldn't care if they did. So my answer was, with a smirk: "Who cares?"

Her rebuttal was "We're raising a bunch of weak children! They should have to be strong and face up to reality." To which I said "Firstly, they're not children, they're adults, and they can do what they please. You're pro-freedom, right? So if they want to go sit in a room by themselves and chill out, what business is it of yours? Secondly, they have always had those places on campus."

"No they haven't! They're all snowflakes! They only want to talk to people with beliefs that are the same as theirs!" And I responded: "Yes they have. They're just called churches. There's been one on campus since there's been a university. Or do you want those gone, too?"

Then she just got mad and stopped talking to me for a bit.

Washington Post tonight: "Justice Dept. investigating sedition and conspiracy charges and any terror links to violent storming of U.S. Capitol"

Extracts: "
The investigation, one of the largest ever undertaken by the department, includes counterterrorism and counterintelligence facets and has charged more than 70 individuals and identified 170 suspects to date, acting U.S. attorney Michael R. Sherwin of D.C. said. Those arrest figures are expected to increase into the hundreds, if not “exponentially.”

But Sherwin and Steven D’Antuono, head of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, said any impression that prosecutors have mostly charged misdemeanor Capitol trespassing and D.C. curfew offenses is misleading. They said the cases are only the beginning and that U.S. authorities are investigating everything including the plundering of congressional offices and digital devices, assaults on law enforcement officers, theft of national security and defense information, in addition to felony murder and excessive use of force.

'The gamut of cases is mind-blowing', Sherwin said.

. . . A new grand jury was empaneled Friday and met Monday to hear new Capitol breach cases. Prosecutors also condemned violence against the news media, saying they would investigate and hold accountable those who assault, threaten or damaged the property of journalists. . . ."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9.-30Dn3-hp6UGD5V98WnPFfWiKwSZrs5kGm6j5TGT4Ng

Last edited:
Trump said today that his comments inciting the insurrection were appropriate, and Pence refused to invoke the 25th to remove him.

The GOP is over.
Oh, he went further than that, suggesting that it's those who want to impeach him who are responsible for all the anger, implying that if there's more violence, it's their fault.

Oh, he went further than that, suggesting that it's those who want to impeach him who are responsible for all the anger, implying that if there's more violence, it's their fault.
He will never take accountability. America has taught him that he doesn’t have to, because he’s white and pretends to be rich.
Many Trump supporters are no different. It’s always someone else’s fault, even if you have to invent an enemy that doesn’t exist.

He will never take accountability. America has taught him that he doesn’t have to, because he’s white and pretends to be rich.
Many Trump supporters are no different. It’s always someone else’s fault, even if you have to invent an enemy that doesn’t exist.
I suspect that inventing enemies that don't exist is a strategy that's been around far longer than the republican party. What's his name again - Satan ? - Ya he made me do it. Now cast me into a river and if I sink I'm innocent, but if I swim, I'm guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that inventing enemies that don't exist is a strategy that's been around far longer than the republican party. What's his name again - Satan ? - Ya he made me do it. Now cast me into a river and if I sink I'm innocent, but if I swim, I'm guilty.
He's a classic broken narcissist. Here's the narcissist's prayer:
That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did...
You deserved it.

No surprise there. Most Republicans made up their minds that it was dangerous to vote guilty. Trump still commands heavy support and millions believe the election was stolen from him. They didn’t understand that it was he who tried to steal the election.

I have to agree with the general sentiment that the whole spectacle has further entrenched the impression that US politics has nothing to do with what's good for the country, and everything to do with partisan politics, regardless of the damage it does.

And thus ends the illusion of the American strongman. Those on the right, with their "don't tread on me" flags, pushing for more and more lax gun controls, the threats and the bluster to give the illusion of strength... simply roll over because they're afraid. GOP wouldn't find their own guilty because they were afraid of what Trumpers would do. What a joke.

And thus ends the illusion of the American strongman. Those on the right, with their "don't tread on me" flags, pushing for more and more lax gun controls, the threats and the bluster to give the illusion of strength... simply roll over because they're afraid. GOP wouldn't find their own guilty because they were afraid of what Trumpers would do. What a joke.
Exactly ...

Seven Republican Senators Who Voted to Convict Trump Face Backlash From Within Party​

Back