• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The UFO Field at its Worst!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
This article, from Kevin D. Randle's blog, "A Different Perspective," paints a very troubling picture of the behavior of Stanton T. Friedman in his Roswell investigations.

Stanton is not here to defend himself, but Kevin provides some very disturbing evidence that is backed up with pictures of correspondence he received over the years, including from my old buddy Jim Moseley:

I am a big skeptic on Roswell. I think something beyond a balloon came down there, but beyond that, who knows. I have seen little credible evidence beyond "stories" that suggest it could be anything "alien." With that out of the way, I never really liked Kevin' personality (he might be a great guy). He has always come across as an "one-upper" in conversations and tries to be the smartest guy at the table. I can see now why he has clashed with just about everyone in the UFO scene, even his co-authors who he has broken from, both professionally and narratively.

Kevin loves to knock people on their "embellished military record" or "inaccuracies in their history," but let's not forget it was Randle who once peddled a Ph.D. at the end of the name, a "degree" he earned from a now-defunct bible college/diploma mill. He will tell you they were "legit" when he, "wrote his thesis" but the fact he no longer uses the fake Ph.D. title is very telling (he doesn't even value it). Randle probably just, again, wanted to one-up the field. "Oh, Stanton only has a Masters, as does Dolan, wait until I put Ph.D. at the end of my name, that will show them."

I remember several years ago when Randle mentioned how the "dream team" of Roswell investigators got back together and were working on something of a grand finale book. The final chapter in the Roswell case, written by the original gang. I remember Kevin appearing on Dark Matters Radio around 2014 or 2015 and totally 100% defending the Roswell narrative, right down to the aliens. I remember arguing with him and begging him to fall back on his military training and common sense because I didn't think there would be anyway the "aliens" would let us "keep" their craft. Just like our military will purposely destroy their hardware in the field to prevent the enemy from gaining access to it. I told him I found it funny that he thinks a little chain-linked fence and an armed 19-year-old armed with a (relative) pea shooter was going to "secure" the flying disc. I argued the aliens if they are "self-concealing," would simply take their UFO back or make it disappear. I didn't find it believable we would have the means to even "keep" such a craft from such an advanced race of beings. He didn't like that, he doubled down on the whole classic UFO Roswell Crash story...

This all changed when the infamous Roswell Mummy came to the forefront. If you remember, the researchers pushing that were members of the so-called dream team, however, one guy was missing, Randle. I again remember Randle talking about how he was essentially left out of the loop on the whole mummy fiasco despite supposedly being part of the team. I think this left a bad taste in his mouth. It was clear he was being shunned by the group, regardless of the merit of the mummy. Eventually, the mummy fiasco exploded in everyone's face and it was rather embarrassing, but I could not help but notice Randle's contempt for slight. His colleagues went out of their way to exclude him from the meat of that research and it upset him. Since that time Kevin has done a total 180 on Roswell, now he views it skeptically, is far less bullish on the "alien" aspects of the case, and totally contradicts his previous views. Now, he will tell you changed his mind after years of research and a "cold case review of the data." I would argue his feelings are just hurt. He once again had a falling out with people in the field and that falling out would mean he would no longer be part of the Grand Finale book, the final chapter so to speak. So rather than just accept that, keep his integrity and move on, he is essentially crapping on everything Roswell. "Oh, you want to exclude me from the Dream Team book, then I am going to write my own book that basically calls Roswell a bunch of unsubstantiated stores." That move was meant to delegitimize the case and suck any potential profits out of any pro-alien Roswell books that might come out from his former buddies.

I fully admit I am speculating and reading between the lines to form my opinion of the situation. I could be wrong. Also, when I say, I remember Randle talking, this would be from his numerous radio interviews over the years, where he spoke about some of the issues in my post.

He lost some education between these two book!!!
51b1ch7JT2L.jpg41axlMMGzoL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's up to Kevin to defend himself, except to say that he was skeptical of the "Not Roswell Slides" from the start, and those who were taken in by it did not acquit themselves as skilled investigators.

What he says about Stanton is backed up with letters. I'm especially troubled by the efforts to screw with Jim Moseley's lectures. That is beyond reprehensible. And, yes, I believe Jim's letter to Kevin. Jim did some questionable things in the UFO field over the years, but he wasn't a liar.

This article, from Kevin D. Randle's blog, "A Different Perspective," paints a very troubling picture of the behavior of Stanton T. Friedman in his Roswell investigations.

Stanton is not here to defend himself, but Kevin provides some very disturbing evidence that is backed up with pictures of correspondence he received over the years, including from my old buddy Jim Moseley:

Rather than Klass vs. Friedman, I might say Friedman's status is more like Icon vs Meme. Kevin and Stan have both made it in the field. Stan was the first to make it to the finish line. Kevin will someday, sadly, be equally missed, and then we can imagine them up there in UFO heaven debating with Donald Keyhoe, when all of a sudden Edward Ruppelt walks into the room ...

It's up to Kevin to defend himself, except to say that he was skeptical of the "Not Roswell Slides" from the start, and those who were taken in by it did not acquit themselves as skilled investigators.

What he says about Stanton is backed up with letters. I'm especially troubled by the efforts to screw with Jim Moseley's lectures. That is beyond reprehensible. And, yes, I believe Jim's letter to Kevin. Jim did some questionable things in the UFO field over the years, but he wasn't a liar.

The merit of the Roswell slides aside, Kevin seemed upset and slighted that his "team" maneuvered around him with regards to them. That's my point. Perhaps they did that because they knew he would be against them, and for the right reasons. It is possible the slides were lousy AND Kevin felt betrayed by the fact they didn't include him in their "investigation." Both things can be true. Out of principle, Kevin felt betrayed regardless of the merit, in response to that, he started to change his tune on Roswell and disrupt even his own narrative. I always found the timing on his "change of heart" to be curious.

In passing, I met with Kevin and Stan a number of times over the years, and I always got along well with them. Both were great guests for The Paracast, and I enjoyed the opportunity for Randall and me to flesh out Stan's background in his final appearance on the show in 2018. And we always welcome Kevin's forthright conversation.

As to his Ph.D., he's never been dishonest about its origins or value, at least when we've asked him about it.

One more thing: For some reason, changing one's opinion about something is considered bad form. Wouldn't it be better to say it's a reflection of one's honesty that opinions aren't etched in stone? Kevin became more skeptical of Roswell over the years, he says, because on reexamining the evidence, some of it wasn't as compelling as he thought at first.

In passing, I met with Kevin and Stan a number of times over the years, and I always got along well with them. Both were great guests for The Paracast, and I enjoyed the opportunity for Randall and me to flesh out Stan's background in his final appearance on the show in 2018. And we always welcome Kevin's forthright conversation.

As to his Ph.D., he's never been dishonest about its origins or value, at least when we've asked him about it.

One more thing: For some reason, changing one's opinion about something is considered bad form. Wouldn't it be better to say it's a reflection of one's honesty that opinions aren't etched in stone? Kevin became more skeptical of Roswell over the years, he says, because on reexamining the evidence, some of it wasn't as compelling as he thought at first.

I am making the point that the timing of the change of opinion is curious. And gave my reasons why. That's all. Do you know why Kevin dropped the Ph.D from his book jackets? Or why he included it in the first place?

Your initial response is more about "what-about-ism?" Instead of actually answering Kevin's facts about Stanton, buttressed with actual letters, you focused on what you regard as Kevin's own faults. You argued about his Ph.D. and his change of views, neither of which answer anything in his original article.

Your initial response is more about "what-about-ism?" Instead of actually answering Kevin's facts about Stanton, buttressed with actual letters, you focused on what you regard as Kevin's own faults. You argued about his Ph.D. and his change of views, neither of which answer anything in his original article.

My point was really that I’m not shocked Randle is blindsiding a dead guy who can’t defend himself over trivial “Roswell stuff.” This is par for the course with him. Then I gave examples of other conflicts he had within his own team of researchers, i.e., the dream team. Then I offered my opinion about why they split and why Randle did such an about face on Roswell.

The PhD stuff was just an observation I noticed after years (decades) of following Randle. One day he is PhD by title, the next he is just “Kevin Randle” again. Kevin Randle would totally dismiss a witness for engaging in such academic embellishing, yet doesn’t recognize the hypocrisy.

In short, Randle is a spotlight chaser with an abrasive personality, thus I’m not shocked he had a feud with Stanton...

The article was inspired by the interview involving Dolan and Marden referencing Klass. Besides, as an historical perspective, the information was useful.

The article was inspired by the interview involving Dolan and Marden referencing Klass. Besides, as an historical perspective, the information was useful.
No matter where one looks, there are going to be malcontents and people stepping on other people's turf. In ufology, I have no idea how it furthers our knowledge about alien visitation. If anyone else does, please let me know.

Last edited:
It doesn’t. But it paints a troubling picture of someone whose work has been widely trusted. That helps us move on.
The thing is despite the wrong Kevin may have done in the past Stanton was one of the very few who made a living out of UFO research.
Do I think Kevin Randalls hand are clean? No I don't but no less than Stanton.
I do not believe in speaking ill of the dead but my personal belief is that a lot of what Stanton done was for the benefit of Stanton Friedman and not the wider UFO Community.

Yes so do I do Gene,but then back in the 90s I thought Art Bell was the greatest person on earth but as it turned out we can now say what he was a great radio host and I simply don't know what he was like as a person.
Stanton done wonders in promoting the UFO subject,was it all true and factual? I don't know because the person who can tell us is dead.
I do know this Gene tell yourself a lie enough times and you start to believe it.

It doesn’t. But it paints a troubling picture of someone whose work has been widely trusted. That helps us move on.
Kevin is a stickler for details. I certainly respect that, but In the bigger picture, I'm not sure how much it matters. None of these finer details on the competition between theories and ufo researchers, true or false, provide verifiable proof of much of anything, particularly about alien visitation.

FWIW though, for us to believe nobody in the department of defense has taken on the task of analyzing reports of flying saucers, UFOs, UAPs, whatever you want to call them, doesn't seem reasonable ( to me ). Maybe the collective effort wasn't ( or isn't ) run by MJ-12. Maybe it has a different name. I don't know.

But we do know with reasonable certainty that the objects in question have been detected, tracked, and pursued by the military. We also know that the military has a system for acquiring the evidence from those events, but then it gets more murky, and it is why I tried to press for details on where Elizondo is in the chain of command on these investigations.

Why there are those who still think that doesn't matter is a curiosity to me. For the first time in ages we have a thread we can pull on that could unravel the whole thing, but for some reason we're getting nowhere on it. Or at least nowhere fast.

Last edited:
Again, my biggest concern about the information in Kevin's article was the revelation that Stanton tried to sabotage Jim Moseley's ability to get lecture gigs. Forgetting all else, that's dirty pure and simple.

Back