• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

MUFON's worthless statistics

Steve Wehba

Paranormal Novice
I am no longer a MUFON member, but I continue to receive a monthly email from them. The email always starts with a section of statistics on UFO sightings. What amazes me is the absolute worthlessness of these numbers. Here's an example: The US had 392 reports in February 2019 vs. 50 in the UK. What can you do with such a number...nothing! How about #reported sightings vs. population, or #reported sightings vs. landmass? How about #sightings by time-of-day or day-of-week or month? How about #sightings by first-time reporters vs. repeat reporters. Anyway, you get my drift. How can we turn this useless data into actionable information? How can we mine the data in useful ways? Does MUFON need help doing this? If so, I am happy to assist. What does everyone else think?

Clearly that's the case. So, the question becomes: Is all this data being collected somewhere else where it is actually being seriously analyzed?

I believe that if the data can be reliable collected, it can be mined for some answers.

Clearly that's the case. So, the question becomes: Is all this data being collected somewhere else where it is actually being seriously analyzed? I believe that if the data can be reliable collected, it can be mined for some answers.

As I've said many times, the most intelligent system for the analyzing case reports are real human beings. Otherwise it's the same old story ( GI = GO ). So instead of expecting a magic bean counting machine to spit out the answer, the best method IMO is a combination of real people with a working knowledge of ufology combined with basic machine search and display technology.

That is something that is readily available at no cost to anyone who wants to do the work. And therein lies the rub. The word "work" seems like a four letter word. But if you're looking for someplace to volunteer, send me a PM and we'll chat about the USI project. It aims to provide a completely free custom searchable online resource for ufology, and there's no shortage of material that needs to be created.

Back