• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — June 17, 2018

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
June 17, 2018
www.theparacast.com

Learn About Lifetimes of UFO Encounters with Dr. Irena Scott on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We also feature selected podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth,” and we are now offering special access to the first two episodes of the ghost haunting show he cohosts, "Haunted." Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $1.49 per week, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free print and eBook book offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: https://plus.theparacast.com/.

This Week's Episode: Gene and special guest cohost Curtis Collins present scientist and researcher Dr. Irena Scott, author of "Inside the Lightning Ball: A Scientific Study of Lifelong UFO Experiencers." Dr. Scott has worked in crucial institutions involved in the UFO field–the Defense Intelligence Agency, Battelle Memorial Institute, and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Her book delves deeply into the scientific study of the reports of people, who experienced childhood sightings and additional events during their lifetimes. Included are findings suggesting that the phenomena may be interactive with human thoughts, discussion of abduction and contact, synchronicity, and speculation that such reports are simply the tip of the iceberg to more complex interactions. Dr. Scott begins the episode with a lengthy discussion of her own amazing experiences.

Curtis Collins' Blog: http://www.blueblurrylines.com

Dr. Irena Scott's Blog: Irena Scott, PhD - Author - UFOs Today

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on June 17: Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, as Gene and special guest cohost Curtis Collins explore “The Saucers that Time Forgot,” a new research project exploring the early days of the modern UFO era. You’ll learn about the origins of the Hangar 18 legend, some of the antics in which jokesters Gray Barker and Jim Moseley engaged, and even about the portions of some of the early UFO books that are rarely mentioned. So what about the other cases discussed in Frank Scully’s “Behind the Flying Saucers,” in which the long-disproven Aztec, NM crash was first described? What about Desmond Leslie’s contribution to “Flying Saucers Have Landed,” where coauthor George Adamski told of his original flying saucer contact in the California desert? These are the stories behind the stories.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Check out our new YouTube channel at: The Official Paracast Channel

Return with Us Now
By Gene Steinberg

At the risk of confronting that common criticism of my work, I will unabashedly return to the past, to the early days of the modern UFO era, where we were young, foolish, and fascinated by visions of the realization that maybe we were being visited by extraterrestrials.

In those days, we referred to the phenomenon as flying saucers, even though only some sightings depicted craft in that shape. Indeed, the very choice of the term was sufficient to cast disapproval upon those sightings, regardless of the compelling nature of the eyewitness testimony. Many of the most significant sightings first revealed in the early UFO books didn’t focus on farmers in out-of-the-way rural areas, people who should be respected regardless, but on eyewitnesses that were regarded as trained. Consider police officers, airline pilots, and soldiers, the people that you had to believe when they reported seeing strange things in the sky.

Learning about what happened, and the long journey through the 20th century and into the 21st century, wasn’t always so easy. More often than not, the sightings you read about in books and magazines were simply rehashes of what appeared in other books and magazines. As the reports passed from one publication to another, inevitably key details were altered or removed. It wasn’t necessarily a deliberate act, but accidents of human imperfection.

But it’s also true that some authors, in the quest to increase sales, entered the realm of sci-fi to make a case seem more sensational that it really was.

While my old friends Gray Barker and Jim Moseley were often accused of bad journalism, it wasn’t quite that way. Jim was actually pretty deliberate about getting his facts straight when he summarized a sighting report from a newspaper clipping, or described a case that he personally investigated. I worked closely with him for several years in the 1960s, and, as a budding newsperson, I can attest to that.

But Gray Barker was a piece of work. He was not above mixing fact and fiction, particularly as he grew older. There was often a mystical or conspiratorial flavor to a UFO story when he wrote about it. He lived in an alternate reality in which he was the occupant of a fantastical world in which Men In Black and alien visitors were constant presences. Maybe there were MIB, but the possibility of their presence was often exaggerated.

One of his best literary works, “The Silver Bridge,” was an often allegorical spin on the Mothman phenomenon. Here, Gray’s talents were on full display, and it is even possible that he revealed critical details of these strange creature sightings that were otherwise overlooked.

For the most part, however, Gray and Jim’s mischievous sides overshadowed their real work. So there was the infamous “Straith Letter,” part of an all-night writing session in which the pair, seriously drunk, played a series of pranks that nearly got them in trouble with the FBI.

But that’s the story of another day. While they engaged in other hoaxes over the years, separately and together, this was the best of the lot, with perhaps one exception where a planned prank produced an unexpected result.

One evening in early 1966, seemingly at random, Jim called a rural police department and reported a fake saucer sighting. I was visiting him at his Fort Lee, NJ apartment at the time, and I just sat back and laughed.

Not too many days later, I began to wonder whether Jim was accidentally prescient. On the evening of January 11, UFOs were reported over a reservoir in Wanaque, NJ, in Passaic County. It was close to the location of the phony sighting that Jim had phoned in.

So fantasy became reality. But was it just an accident, or did Jim actually sense the arrival of a paranormal event, and use it as the basis for a hoax?

Later on, Jim recounted an episode in which he tried to see if he had any latent psychic abilities, and, with a deck of playing cards in hand, attempted to predict which card would come up next. Suddenly he had an epiphany, that he didn’t have to guess, because, as he said to me shortly thereafter, and later to listeners of The Paracast, he “knew.”

His correct guesses continued, one after another, and then reality returned. His abilities were gone, and his mystic powers vanished, never to return.

Some years later, I asked Jim about the hoax sighting he reported to the police at Wanaque, but he didn’t remember any of it. I do recall, however, the time where I accompanied Jim and some of his friends on a drive to the reservoir to investigate the case.

It was dark, cold, and all I can remember of that night was constantly shivering. I couldn’t wait to return to Jim’s Pontiac so I could turn the heat on full bore!

Nowadays, you can easily be attacked for living in the past, which so often means you won’t learn the lessons of history.

But researcher Curtis Collins doesn’t feel that way. He’s currently involved in developing a site known as the “Saucers that Time Forgot,” at The Saucers That Time Forgot.

Curt and his colleague, Claude Falkstrom, focus mainly on early cases, forgotten facts and new information that casts a different light on a topic.

A recent article focuses on Robert Spencer Carr, who is blamed, or credited, with being one of the first people to bring up the Hangar 18 legend. It wasn’t necessarily the first rumored locale where alleged crashed saucers and alien bodies were present. But the legend of this alleged “secret” Air Force hangar persists to this very day.

As with Area 51, Hangar 18 has become yet another supposed factoid that helped advance the modern UFO era, not to mention the perception that we continue to experience visits by extraterrestrial beings, and that the U.S. military is doing its level best to keep that truth from us.

And what about the Blue Room? Or is that just another name for Hangar 18?

If you want to know more about how we got from there to here, I highly recommend Curt and Claude’s fascinating blog.

Copyright 1999-2018 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back