• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Anyone heard of this Liberty, Kentucky sighting/abduction case?

Nope, new one one me.
I understand calling the local police but am having a little trouble understanding why the local Navy recruiting office might've been called - government, uniform, free coffee maybe, I don't know. You're right - multiple witnesses, missing time, possible physical evidence and even a terrified parakeet. This case has all the classic hallmarks - wonder why it never grew legs.

I was about to say 'Note to self, these women and Travis Walton - think twice about that call to a UFO investigative group' but apart from calling the local PD or airport what could they have done? Maybe the psychological benefit of unburdening yourself to someone you think can help is more important than I give it credit for. Having several decades of cases to look back on - has calling in a local investigator ever actually provided any clarity? In other words, looking back at this field statistically do you think private investigations have been of any real benefit to the witnesses or is it just another file in the dust for the investigator?

Nope, new one one me.
I understand calling the local police but am having a little trouble understanding why the local Navy recruiting office might've been called - government, uniform, free coffee maybe, I don't know. You're right - multiple witnesses, missing time, possible physical evidence and even a terrified parakeet. This case has all the classic hallmarks - wonder why it never grew legs.

I was about to say 'Note to self, these women and Travis Walton - think twice about that call to a UFO investigative group' but apart from calling the local PD or airport what could they have done? Maybe the psychological benefit of unburdening yourself to someone you think can help is more important than I give it credit for. Having several decades of cases to look back on - has calling in a local investigator ever actually provided any clarity? In other words, looking back at this field statistically do you think private investigations have been of any real benefit to the witnesses or is it just another file in the dust for the investigator?
Good points. With a lot of investigators, because they are already believers, they promote parts of the story that fit their narrative while ignoring the parts that do not fit. When I was a kid, it would have been good information to know that Betty Hill believed her pet cat could fly. It also would have been good to know that they just saw the episode of the Outer Limits called The Bolero Shield. And that she had a long affinity for flying saucers and always used to think she saw one. But the investigators leave those parts out because it doesn't fit. Same thing with Travis Walton, Falcon Lake, JAL flight & more. I don't think any single investigator has cracked any single case - with the exception of proving which ones were frauds/hoaxes/misinterpretations. MUFON & other organizations should have set criteria that needed to be met before they opened a case and/or published it. When I used to get their Journal it was chocked full of reports like;

25 Jan 1997
Atlantic City, NJ
1023 hours

A man and his wife saw a twinkling red light. It then turned blue and flew away towards the north.

[END OF REPORT]

But then when the do monthly, annual stats - that wills how up as a UFO sighting/report.

[QUOTE="Creepy Green Light, post: 271994, member: 7575" When I was a kid, it would have been good information to know that Betty Hill believed her pet cat could fly. [/QUOTE]

They CAN'T ? Poor Frank. No wonder he seems reluctant to go outside sometimes. Have to start using the downstairs window I guess :)

Interrupted Journey picked up on some of Betty's predilections and maybe even the Outer Limits episode. Like you said, those with an agenda leave out the parts that are inconvenient. Poor Barney had to listen to all that. I recommend Last Podcast on the Left episodes 169 and 170 for their treatment of the case. An acquired taste but despite the nonsense it isn't all that bad or inaccurate. I am not affiliated with them in any way but am highly immature which is why I enjoy it.

Kentucky - another case of who the hell knows. Why would these people make the claim in the first place, what about the multiple witnesses etc. Classic stuff that never fails to get my attention. The truth is rarely as interesting as my imagination.

I can appreciate someone taking it upon themselves to go have a look rather than to rely on second hand accounts but time does not appear reflect positively on the overall efforts of individual investigators.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Creepy Green Light, post: 271994, member: 7575" When I was a kid, it would have been good information to know that Betty Hill believed her pet cat could fly.

They CAN'T ? Poor Frank. No wonder he seems reluctant to go outside sometimes. Have to start using the downstairs window I guess :)

Interrupted Journey picked up on some of Betty's predilections and maybe even the Outer Limits episode. Like you said, those with an agenda leave out the parts that are inconvenient. Poor Barney had to listen to all that. I recommend Last Podcast on the Left episodes 169 and 170 for their treatment of the case. An acquired taste but despite the nonsense it isn't all that bad or inaccurate. I am not affiliated with them in any way but am highly immature which is why I enjoy it.

Kentucky - another case of who the hell knows. Why would these people make the claim in the first place, what about the multiple witnesses etc. Classic stuff that never fails to get my attention. The truth is rarely as interesting as my imagination.

I can appreciate someone taking it upon themselves to go have a look rather than to rely on second hand accounts but time does not appear reflect positively on the overall efforts of individual investigators.[/QUOTE]
No, they cannot fly - sorry to burst your bubble :/ I will check out that Last Podcast on the Left. Coincidently, I watched Last House on the Left today. I mean it's great that we have a data base of UFO reports, but at the end of the day, who cares? What's it accomplished? Peter Davenport takes heat for his database because it just sits there collecting dust. Nothing happens with the data - nothing is solved. Multiple witness reports are erroneous have the time as well. Look at that Tim Edwards/Salidas case. The guy is looking at & filming a spider web attached to the roof of his house (as Chris O'Brien has proved) yet other people in town hopped on the bandwagon & said they saw it too from where they lived. Little did they know at the time that it was a spider web - but funny how all of a sudden they see the same thing Tim is seeing.

I am not sure what the value of isolated data actually is beyond researching some specific incident. I've heard that MUFON was making efforts to standardize their interview forms and make an open database; probably just more talk. Whatever your feelings are about that organization they do have a broad reach and are already in place. Given time and a large enough sample who knows what might be revealed.

Snow White's stepmother was a bore. If I had a goddamned magic mirror on the wall I would be more inventive in what I ask. If suddenly we had a common database that encompassed the past several decades part of the problem would be how to divine the really useful information; what to ask, specifically?

I am not sure what the value of isolated data actually is beyond researching some specific incident. I've heard that MUFON was making efforts to standardize their interview forms and make an open database; probably just more talk. Whatever your feelings are about that organization they do have a broad reach and are already in place. Given time and a large enough sample who knows what might be revealed.

Snow White's stepmother was a bore. If I had a goddamned magic mirror on the wall I would be more inventive in what I ask. If suddenly we had a common database that encompassed the past several decades part of the problem would be how to divine the really useful information; what to ask, specifically?
It's funny because at one point & time I valued MUFON. Once I saw that they were involved in any given case it gave me a warm & fuzzy because I knew with all their know-how, experts, scientific equipment etc. - that we'd get some solid facts & answers. Yet the organization dwindled to what it is today. Sad to have seen that happen.

Back