• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOs and Bigfoot in Pennsylvania: Ask Stan Gordon:

Yeah, my insight is that 99% of the cases I thought were real (and like a fool made other family members and friends watch so that I could convert them to believers) have turned out to frauds/hoaxes. And then I got a lesson in seeing how people will stare you (or the camera) directly in the face & tell you a UFO story that is so damn convincing - only to find out its a lie/hoax/fraud. So my insight, as you call it is jaded.

Well I feel better - thought I was the only one doing that! I remember a grade school teacher telling me "you know that isn't real, right" when I showed her a UFO magazine - it had an image of the Pascagoula critter in it. Still talking about that case years later with zero additional insight.

When I was maybe 10 or so my brother and I had a close range encounter with an advertising blimp which did look damned peculiar. I flipped out. Didn't figure out what it was until much later. A few years later he moved to another state and wrote me a detailed letter telling me he had a very close range encounter similar to Travis Walton with the exact same object. He kept the lie up so convincingly and I took him so seriously I contacted MUFON in New York - a guy named Ted Bloecher. He contacted a member in Wisconsin who tried to get my brother to talk about the case, which of course he never did. Even after it was obvious to all that it was a flat out lie it took years of arm twisting to get him to grudgingly admit it. It certainly surprised him that his little brother could or would follow up on that foolishness armed only with a rotary dial telephone and a typewriter.

Lesson learned there - if you can't trust your own brother about these things who can you believe? I should point it he is otherwise a trustworthy soul, he just likes to screw around with me.

Thing is, not everyone is making up stories and I still want to believe that at the root of it there might just be something really weird at work. Actual physical evidence is awfully scarce so at best it's some sort of hallucinatory phenomenon, and who knows what triggers it. Those two doofus from Pascagoula didn't appear to have any great motivation to make all that up. Wasn't there a tape recorder running secretly that caught them genuinely saying stuff like "they'll never believe us" and "what the hell was that" and so forth. The real story is never as good as the one your imagination provides so I am skeptical, but things like that are the tidbit that keeps me interested.

LOL - exactly :) From the sounds of it, we are probably about the same age. I figured my best chance of seeing a true life flying saucer was when I entered the Navy at age 18. I remember my company commander in boot camp - his reaction when I asked him about the Philadelphia Experiment. He looked at me as if I had 3 heads. But once I got assigned to my squadron, I was excited. My plane could fly long missions 13 hours and make it from Maine to Sicily in one shot. Pretty good for a turbo prop. I spent many a day & night just staring out my window looking for anything strange. At night time I would wear the night vision goggles. I could see every star & satellite there was to see. But I never did see anything. Part of my duties was being the inflight photographer. So I figured if I ever did see anything I'd be the one guy out of a crew of 12 that could take the pics with a 70mm camera. 5 years came and went and I never so much as saw anything :/

Cool! You'd think you would be exactly the person who could produce a credible photograph. Clearly their Cloaking Device is effective.

As for me - never in the service. Lacked the maturity when I was a kid, plus had all sorts of other stupid problems. Turning 54 this summer. My currently running catchphrase is "too young to retire but too old to give a s**t anymore"

Well I feel better - thought I was the only one doing that! I remember a grade school teacher telling me "you know that isn't real, right" when I showed her a UFO magazine - it had an image of the Pascagoula critter in it. Still talking about that case years later with zero additional insight.

When I was maybe 10 or so my brother and I had a close range encounter with an advertising blimp which did look damned peculiar. I flipped out. Didn't figure out what it was until much later. A few years later he moved to another state and wrote me a detailed letter telling me he had a very close range encounter similar to Travis Walton with the exact same object. He kept the lie up so convincingly and I took him so seriously I contacted MUFON in New York - a guy named Ted Bloecher. He contacted a member in Wisconsin who tried to get my brother to talk about the case, which of course he never did. Even after it was obvious to all that it was a flat out lie it took years of arm twisting to get him to grudgingly admit it. It certainly surprised him that his little brother could or would follow up on that foolishness armed only with a rotary dial telephone and a typewriter.

Lesson learned there - if you can't trust your own brother about these things who can you believe? I should point it he is otherwise a trustworthy soul, he just likes to screw around with me.

Thing is, not everyone is making up stories and I still want to believe that at the root of it there might just be something really weird at work. Actual physical evidence is awfully scarce so at best it's some sort of hallucinatory phenomenon, and who knows what triggers it. Those two doofus from Pascagoula didn't appear to have any great motivation to make all that up. Wasn't there a tape recorder running secretly that caught them genuinely saying stuff like "they'll never believe us" and "what the hell was that" and so forth. The real story is never as good as the one your imagination provides so I am skeptical, but things like that are the tidbit that keeps me interested.
Wow. Great information. Thanks for sharing. One of the lamest arguments that people think "add credibility" to an event is "...they had no reason to lie." Ummmm, yeah, one of the major reasons to lie is.....JUST TO LIE. People think there has to be a catch like "Time Magazine paid $50,000 for the photo's" or some other crap like that. NEWSFLASH; people lie just to lie. To see if they can fool somebody. There doesn't have to be a benefit or cash payout to make the lie happen.

Look at Rex Heflin. I give him credit as far as trying to pull the wool over people's eyes (which he did). That in itself is satisfaction (as far as he's concerned).

Watching people stare at a spider web attached to the roof of the house and then with all the sincerity in the world say "Look at that thing. It's got to be a mile long! Look at all the baby flying saucers coming out of it and then going back inside! OMG. blah blah blah." Ummm yeah, it's a spider web on your house. I cannot believe that you are that DUMB & MORONIC that you can't realize that. So the only other thing to come up with is, you are a complete and total fraud/liar/hoaxer.

OMABB - oh my aching ball bag. I can understand being pissed because she wasn't believed.

"What about the children?" Yes, the state of California owes it to her to keep the children safe in the woods from monsters. Lawyer up and make them do it. If I were local I'd go see if the court is open to the public just so I could put on a Sasquatch costume and sit in the gallery.

Oh, and if she were truly concerned about the future of her kiddies how about we sue her to lose 30 pounds and see how far that goes.

OMABB - oh my aching ball bag. I can understand being pissed because she wasn't believed.

"What about the children?" Yes, the state of California owes it to her to keep the children safe in the woods from monsters. Lawyer up and make them do it. If I were local I'd go see if the court is open to the public just so I could put on a Sasquatch costume and sit in the gallery.

Oh, and if she were truly concerned about the future of her kiddies how about we sue her to lose 30 pounds and see how far that goes.
One time ever I legitimately sought out an attorney. I found out a company had taken $1200 out of my checking account without permission. I had access to a lot of attnys (because I had a bunch of them as clients). Not one of them would take my case saying things like "...yeah, not for $1200. Too much work and hassle....blah blah blah".

But it's nice to see that this lady found an attorney whose court case is going to revolve around Bigfoot. Seems legit.

Back