• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Next Generation of Forum Software

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The people at XenForo have released a major upgrade to the forum system we use.

So from version 1.x it goes to version 2.

XenForo 2.0.0 & Add-ons Released

I have it running in a preliminary version at our Rockoids forum: Attack of the Rockoids Community Forums

Since it's a major upgrade, all of the add-ons we've used no longer work. So I have to start from scratch. Theme (look and feel) updates are also zeroed out, so I've been slowly restoring them. I'm also looking for new versions of the add-ons we need here.

It might take a few weeks to get it up to speed and restore lost functionality, and then I'll go to work on the other two (Tech Night Owl and The Paracast).

Anyone who is familiar with XenForo and cares to help out in the conversion. If you can assist, please open a private conversation with me. Thanks.

Just FYI: There appear to be extra modes for payment for Paracast+ subscriptions, such as 2Checkout and even bank transfers.

I'm also waiting for more updated add-ons, so we can duplicate all the functionality we have now — and then some.

The update at the Rockoids forum is mostly complete.

So please check it out and let me know what you think.

If/when we do it here, it'll be very close in setup to that forum, except for the Paracast+ area, and Book Reviews.

Unfortunately, Book Reviews was one of the older XenForo forum add-ons. It was deprecated soon after we installed it, which means it hasn't changed in several years and doesn't work as well as it should. There is no equivalent for the new forum software, until or unless someone develops it. So it would be history should we make this move.

On the positive side, we might be able to add some more payment options to Paracast+ for XenForo 2. There is an add-on that lets you pay via an eCheck, but I have to see whether it will support that and PayPal at the same time. I also have to wait until the developer adds support for subscriptions (recurring payments). We're looking into Bitcoin and other alternatives.

The wire transfer payment add-on for XenForo 2 has been updated to handle recurring user upgrade payments and send you advance notice of a pending payment.

I'll be testing the upgrade soon on our other radio show, The Tech Night Owl LIVE, before it goes live here.

Back