• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Unidentifiable experience

Astrocat

Skilled Investigator
This morning around 3:10 a.m. I got up to take my dog to the bathroom, because he needed to go. When I got outside I was looking off into the eastern sky and as I stood there thinking about how people don't look up anymore, I noticed what looked like a shooting or falling star. It lasted probably 1 second at most. After it burnt out completely, a huge stream of light shot back the direction it was falling from. It lasted for approximately 1 second, but the stream of light (same brightness of the falling star) was long and headed the same direction the falling star came from. The light stream was bright and was like 6 inches long, if you were to hold a tape measure out at arms length from your face. Does anyone know of any natural phenomena that may have caused this event? What caught my attention was the direction change and the length of the stream of light. I just find it odd that the light stream headed back the direction the star was falling from. Any information on the matter would be appreciated.

This morning around 3:10 a.m. I got up to take my dog to the bathroom, because he needed to go. When I got outside I was looking off into the eastern sky and as I stood there thinking about how people don't look up anymore, I noticed what looked like a shooting or falling star. It lasted probably 1 second at most. After it burnt out completely, a huge stream of light shot back the direction it was falling from. It lasted for approximately 1 second, but the stream of light (same brightness of the falling star) was long and headed the same direction the falling star came from. The light stream was bright and was like 6 inches long, if you were to hold a tape measure out at arms length from your face. Does anyone know of any natural phenomena that may have caused this event? What caught my attention was the direction change and the length of the stream of light. I just find it odd that the light stream headed back the direction the star was falling from. Any information on the matter would be appreciated.
That's interesting - I've never heard a report like that before.

My first thought was that the meteor passed through a layer of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, and the heat vaporized them. Then as the air temperature in that zone cooled again, the moisture recrystallized along that path, reflecting the light of the morning Sun to your eye. Perhaps you could write to a meteorologist working at your local television station, and see if they can provide a better explanation.

Back