• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Portland (Oreg), Seatle, Chicago - any werd stuff?

Ian

Paranormal Maven
Going for a fortnight to the US starting 18 August to 2 September. Hope to see the eclipse on 21 Aug somewhere between Salem and Madras in Oregon if we don't get stuck in traffic along with hundreds of thousands of others with the same idea...

Anyway, we'll be in Portland, Seatle and then an AmTrak journey to Chicago. We'll have a rental car much of the time,so can anyone suggest any weird museums, locations for anomalous lights, bigfoot hotspots, etc. etc. worth a visit? My partner isn't really into weird stuff, but will have to just grin and bear it, though if he sees anything really weird too, that will be good!

Thanks.

Ian

Walking a short distance from my front door & up a ½ mile forested trail, I would arrive at Council Crest Park, located atop the Portland West Hills. There, I would have a 360-degree view of the eclipse along with 99.5 percent totality. Instead; I will be driving to one of several spots, which are located in the path of 100 percent eclipse totality, depending on favorable weather conditions. These are; Depot Bay, Lincoln City, Oregon State University campus, (Corvallis OR), Dallas OR, Mill City OR, or perhaps, Madras OR.

Below; are the reasons I’ve decided to seek out 100 percent totality.

Phenomena

“Sunlight looks strangely different; not day and not night. It's a dim and diffuse kind of sunlight. The sky displays a gradient of colors, dark to the west and blue to the east.”

“Look at the ground, especially white surfaces. You may see the elusive shadow bands which are sometimes seen just before and just after totality. Shadow bands flicker and dance and somewhat resemble the refractions of sunlight on the bottom of a swimming pool.”

“In the very last seconds before the Sun is extinguished by the Moon, you may see the very thin crescent of the Sun (through your eclipse glasses) suddenly break into a thin string of beads. These are the Baily's Beads and occur because the last vestiges of sunlight are peeking through valleys and low points of the Moon's limb. The very last Baily's Bead lasts for only an instant and the breath-taking sight of this last tiny bit of sunlight along with your first view of the corona is called the diamond ring.”

“Throughout the two minutes or so of totality, you will see something like a 360-degree sunset, brighter towards the north and south which are outside the path of totality. You'll notice darkening first to the west and as the eclipse progresses, the darkening moves to the east as the Moon's shadow rushes over you.”

“Stars and planets. The brighter stars and planets will be visible during totality. A bright star, Regulus in Leo, will be visible just to the left of the eclipsed Sun. Mercury is further to the left and Mars is to the right. Venus is a considerable distance away to the right but will be the brightest object in the sky besides the corona. In fact, Venus will be visible a few minutes before and after totality if you look in its direction. While it will be possible to pick out the brighter stars throughout the sky, don't spend the precious time doing so. Instead, concentrate your attention on the corona and the light show in the sky as the eclipse evolves.”

Very cool stuff if being lucky enough to find the correct viewing location.

After scouring locations throughout Oregon via Google Earth and contacting various agencies, I do believe the location of the Cascade Solar Fest RV Camping - SolarFest just happens to be close to perfect with a weather forecast to match. Located in Turner Oregon and directly 58 miles east of Depot Bay, the location is a scant ½ mile off the center line. Additionally, with a population of 2,031 Turner Oregon is flat farmland with unobstructed views as far as the eye can see. The Painted Hills located in the John Day Fossil Beds Painted Hills - John Day Fossil Beds National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) would have been my first choice; however, authorities decided to close the national park for fear of the possible destruction of its natural beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
20170822_134742.jpg Opinion | Watching the Eclipse in Oregon

20170821_102100.jpg If you look down and to the right you will notice a white linen tablecloth laying next to the amateur astronomer . I placed it there in the event of noticing elusive shadow bands. Shadow bands - Wikipedia which have been known to emerge about a minute before totality. And several of us did notice them as getting stronger toward totality. However, they were still too faint to video.

Since my Galaxy S7 performs poorly in dim light I will try to have the guy with the telescope (Brian) send me some of the very cool 100% totality images. FWIW, the event was nothing short of amazingly indelible as feeling though experiencing something from a much different world. While on the other hand: the six hour wait in traffic to return to Portland was nothing short of amazingly dismal, & yet, if given the chance, I'd do it again.

20170821_102105.jpg 20170821_095814.jpg
Image above/right: Looking down at the pavement you can see individual shadowed outlines of the eclipsed sun emerging through the tree's canopy.
20170821_101502.jpg 20170821_092604.jpg
Down the road 1/2 mile in the direction pointed out by the sign reading " Turner/Salem" is where the eclipse center line of the "path of totality" was located.
20170821_090327.jpg 20170821_080627.jpg 20170821_082617.jpg 20170821_101811.jpg

Thanks. Found great spot on hill near little town of scot mills. Fantastic 1' 40" totality. Unforgettable as those who experienced it will know. Now on Amtrak train to Seattle...

I drove through Scotts Mills a few summers ago while on my way toward Silverton Oregon. As somewhat hidden, I thought the sleepy little town might be a decent place to live.

Check out the image of the ISS while the eclipse was underway.

"One amazing sight NASA photographers were able to capture was the International Space Station passing in front of the Sun as the eclipse was underway."

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/22/nasas-best-photos-great-american-eclipse/

Back