• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Something beautiful for a change . . .

^Why this image up above, the one we are all on right now is so important...

We see "the Earth now as it truly is, bright and blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats," and "men and women as riders on the Earth together, on that bright loveliness in the eternal cold, brothers and sisters who know now that they are truly brothers and sisters."

I recently picked up a 16mm film called, "No Frames, No Boundaries" that takes a lot of its direction and text from the above astronaut commentary. It's an anti-nuclear film that begs the question, "what are we fighting for?" These imaginary borders and lines all across the planet that exist no where else but in the maps we drew. They in turn brought forth bloodshed in order to defend them and says a lot about how power has defined our own existence for so long. For another way of looking at this mess, here's one of my favourite poets talking about the same ills and what we need to do, over and over again.

The Discovery
by Gwendolyn MacEwen

do not imagine that the exploration
ends, that she has yielded all her mystery
or that the map you hold
cancels further discovery

I tell you her uncovering takes years,
takes centuries, and when you find her naked
look again,
admit there is something else you cannot name,
a veil, a coating just above the flesh
which you cannot remove by your mere wish

when you see the land naked, look again
(burn your maps, that is not what I mean),
I mean the moment when it seems most plain
is the moment when you must begin again

We see "the Earth now as it truly is, bright and blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats," and "men and women as riders on the Earth together, on that bright loveliness in the eternal cold, brothers and sisters who know now that they are truly brothers and sisters." from:http://www.context.org/iclib/ic03/schweick/
Interesting website. I like it's core values and aims, but as someone who believes in the virtue of accountability, I found it just a little too idealistic when I got to this part:

"Context Institute is committed to a clear-eyed understanding of the problems of today, but we are not motivated by an interest in finding individuals or groups to blame."

It is helpful to establish what ( or who ) is to blame when it comes to solving problems. Accountability is a virtue and The Context Institute needs to face the fact that if they really want a "clear-eyed understanding of the problem", and someone or some group is knowingly causing that problem, then that person or group needs to be identified and held accountable. If the problem they caused is much bigger than the offender can fix on their own, then they'll need some help from the rest of us good folks. But there's no good reason IMO to simply give the offenders a big hug and let them wave bye bye as they duck out of the back of the plane with a golden parachute and a bag 'o loot. In fact, speaking of something "beautiful", I find the idea of Bernie Madoff behind bars quite beautiful indeed :D, and if Robert Gilman's home was being robbed, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he'd be the first one on the phone to 911.

Last edited:
Nice shot. That's almost how it looked through my eclipse glasses except I only saw 75% coverage and the sun looked orange with no halo around it. I realize that photography produces different results than the eye.

Thanks! We were north of the totality, but where I'm at, I got around 95 %. I was very lucky today. There was cloud cover over most of my state and I went south on the off chance I get a clear sky. I wasn't quite that lucky, but the cloud cover became a light haze at the park I landed at and I was able to get a good look at the eclipse without so much obstruction from the clouds.

The light got sort of golden colored here. I didn't have official glasses, so I put on 6 pairs of sunglasses ... :cool: ... and it worked ... lol. Now we just have to wait for the headlines ...
DGzCVZwXoAACPdv.jpg

Last edited:
Back