• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some good points and not so good points. Like the quantization of consciousness, which I tried to introduce here a number of posts ago and that also generated almost no interest. The idea that math and science can lead us to incorrect conclusions is also something I've been saying for about as long as I've been posting here; and that same claim in the video is in itself somewhat ironic in the sense that some of the seemingly misunderstood aspects of quantum theory have been used to substantiate the idea of biocentrism, which can only be given credence when viewed from an entirely subjective perspective that ultimately leads us into the same nonsensical philosophy we've been past several times already, which is the idea of subjective idealism.

As Owl said above:

"Now, we all know that panpsychism is a strawman and we know the strawman only wanted a brain. Correct? Correct! So ...

Let S = strawman
Let B = the brain that he wants

If we just perform the disjunctive correlative on the intersectional conjugation of the conjuctivitis involved in the preliminary fascia of the lacunae - we soon realize that only by taking the suare root of S can we begin to approximate the tangential function which inter-splices the non-conjungal elimination. And therefore ... taking a deep breath ... it's rather obvious that

S is either greater than B or less than C and by transitivity B is therefore roughly non-equal to C

QED

Piglet and Pooh stare, mouths open.

Owl stands by waiting for applause. After a few moments, he gives up a mighty WHO in disgust.

Owl Who! Who! Well, I see you two cannot be taught. As I always say a waist is a terrible thing to mind - Owl pokes Pooh in his overfull belly and Pooh laughs heartily

Pooh I see your point!

Piglet laughs heartily as Owl flies away in disgust

Owl who who who ???

!"

Well I took some of Stephen's advice and been doing a lot of reading lately but still not enough. It's a heavy go. But I do complement you all as the material in this last version of your discussion is quite exceptional and highly informative. It has guided a lot of my thinking still so thank you all. I haven't seen this man in your Panpsychist discussion yet but you may find his ideas of interest as he tries to connect the drive to interact across the macro and micro levels.
Btw the hundred acre wood narratives deserve to be their own book - witty and insightful plus great visuals.

What have and are you reading, Burnt?

Karakostas, Vassilios and Zafiris, Elias (2017) Contextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View. Synthese, 194 (3). pp. 847-886. ISSN 0039-7857

Contextual%20Semantics%20in%20Quantum%20Mechanics%20from%20a%20Categorical%20Point%20of%20View.pdf

Download (386kB) |

Abstract
The category-theoretic representation of quantum event structures provides a canonical setting for confronting the fundamental problem of truth valuation in quantum mechanics as exemplified, in particular, by Kochen–Specker’s theorem. In the present study, this is realized on the basis of the existence of a categorical adjunction between the category of sheaves of variable local Boolean frames, constituting a topos, and the category of quantum event algebras. We show explicitly that the latter category is equipped with an object of truth values, or classifying object, which constitutes the appropriate tool for assigning truth values to propositions describing the behavior of quantum systems. Effectively, this category-theoretic representation scheme circumvents consistently the semantic ambiguity with respect to truth valuation that is inherent in conventional quantum mechanics by inducing an objective contextual account of truth in the quantum domain of discourse. The philosophical implications of the resulting account are analyzed. We argue that it subscribes neither to a pragmatic instrumental nor to a relative notion of truth. Such an account essentially denies that there can be a universal context of reference or an Archimedean standpoint from which to evaluate logically the totality of facts of nature.

Contextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View - Philsci-ArchiveContextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View - Philsci-Archive

Last edited:
From the concluding section of that paper:

". . . What makes a proposition true, therefore, is not that [it] is relative to the context (as an alethic relativist must hold, see, for instance, MacFarlane 2005) but whether or not the conditions in question obtain. The obtainment of the conditions implies that it is possible for us to make, in an overall consistent manner, meaningful statements that the properties attributed to quantum objects are part of physical reality. In our approach, therefore, the reason that a proposition is true is because it designates an objectively existing state of affairs, albeit of a contextual nature. In relation to the latter, we wish to emphasize the fact that, in contrast to a panoptical "view from nowhere" of the classical paradigm, the general epistemological implication of quantum theory acknowledges in an essential way a contextual character of knowledge. The classical idea that one can reasonably talk about "all entities", as if the terms "entity" or "object" had a unique, fixed meaning, independently of the appeal to a particular context of reference, is inadequate in the microphysical level of discourse. Whereas in the old classical paradigm, reality was conceived as an absolute concept totally independent of the process of knowledge, in the new quantum paradigm, epistemology

[2Transcendental reasoning is understood in contemporary terms as the method of inquiry seeking to inves-
tigate the necessary conditions or presuppositions for the possibility of some given actuality from within the
sphere constrained by those conditions. A genuinely transcendental approach, therefore, operates prereflectively from within our worldly conditions, standards, and practices in order to examine the preconditions and limits of experience or knowledge, thus opposing any supposedly transcendent, non-perspectival, metaphysically fixed point of reference. A collection of essays focusing on the broader framework of transcendental inquiry, both in its historical context as well as its more recent appearance in philosophizing, has been edited by Malpas (2003).]

-- namely, the understanding of the process of knowing -- has to be explicitly included in the description of natural phenomena. Epistemology necessarily becomes now an integral part of the theory, an issue pointing at the same time at the meta-theoretical, philosophical level towards an interconnection among epistemological and ontological considerations."

Last edited:
Contextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View

Karakostas, Vassilios and Zafiris, Elias (2017) Contextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View. Synthese, 194 (3). pp. 847-886. ISSN 0039-7857 ... Contextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View - Philsci-ArchiveContextual Semantics in Quantum Mechanics from a Categorical Point of View - Philsci-Archive ...

Here's the summary in a one liner:

"In our approach, therefore, the reason that a proposition is true is because it designates an objectively existing state of affairs, albeit of a contextual nature."

Makes perfect sense to me. What's next?

Or if readers need more on truth: The Correspondence Theory of Truth (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Last edited:
? Try to make sense, Randall.

Maybe the lyrics would help:

"Elephant Talk"
Writer(s): William Scott Bruford, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Anthony Charles Levin

Talk, it's only talk
Arguments, agreements, advice, answers
Articulate announcements
It's only talk

Talk, it's only talk
Babble, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker
Brouhaha, balderdash, ballyhoo
It's only talk
Back talk

Talk talk talk, it's only talk
Comments, cliches, commentary, controversy
Chatter, chit-chat, chit-chat, chit-chat
Conversation, contradiction, criticism
It's only talk
Cheap talk

Talk, talk, it's only talk
Debates, discussions
These are words with a D this time
Dialogue, dualogue, diatribe
Dissention, declamation
Double talk, double talk

Talk, talk, it's all talk
Too much talk
Small talk
Talk that trash
Expressions, editorials, expugnations, exclamations, enfadulations
It's all talk
Elephant talk, elephant talk, elephant talk

Last edited:
While We're on the subject of talk ...
Pink Floyd - Keep Talking

For millions of years mankind lived just like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk

There's a silence surrounding me
I can't seem to think straight
I'll sit in the corner
No one can bother me
I think I should speak now
I can't seem to speak now
My words won't come out right
I feel like I'm drowning
I'm feeling weak now
But I can't show my weakness
I sometimes wonder
Where do we go from here

It doesn't have to be like this
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking

Why won't you talk to me
You never talk to me
What are you thinking
What are you feeling
Why won't you talk to me
You never talk to me
What are you thinking
Where do we go from here

It doesn't have to be like this
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking

Why won't you talk to me
You never talk to me
What are you thinking
What are you feeling
Why won't you talk to me
You never talk to me
What are you thinking
What are you feeling

I feel like I'm drowning
You know I can't breathe now
We're going nowhere
We're going nowhere

Writer(s): Polly Annie Samson, David Jon Gilmour, Richard Wright

Minding the Gap: Epistemology & Philosophy of Science in the Two Traditions
By Christopher Norris

Minding the Gap

Very interesting ... I found a good review on the Notre Dame site of another book by Norris and also this spirited defense of philosophy in the face of a recent attack by Stephen Hawking that Norris wrote for Philosophy Now:

Hawking contra Philosophy | Issue 82 | Philosophy Now

"Predictably enough the journalists went off to find themselves media-friendly philosophers – not hard to do nowadays – who would argue the contrary case in a suitably vigorous way. On the whole the responses, or those that I came across, seemed overly anxious to strike a conciliatory note, or to grant Hawking’s thesis some measure of truth as judged by the standards of the natural science community while tactfully dissenting with regard to philosophy and the human sciences. I think the case needs stating more firmly and, perhaps, less tactfully since otherwise it looks like a forced retreat to cover internal disarray. Besides, there is good reason to mount a much sturdier defence on principled grounds. These have to do with the scientists’ need to philosophize and their proneness to philosophize badly or commit certain avoidable errors if they don’t take at least some passing interest in what philosophers have to say."

Neurophilosophy and Its Discontents

How Do We Understand Consciousness Without Becoming Complicit in that Understanding?

GABRIELLE BENETTE JACKSON

http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/philosophy/people/faculty_pages/NeuroPhilosophy IAS letter 9-29-14.pdf

I'd also like to read the following recently published paper by Jackson and will order it through Interlibrary Loan since it does not appear to be available online except behind a paywall at Springer Verlag.

Seeing what is not seen
Published August 17 in the journal
Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences

Abstract
This paper connects ideas from twentieth century Gestalt psychology, experiments in vision science, and Maurice Merleau-Ponty’s phenomenology of perception. I propose that when we engage in simple sensorimotor tasks whose successful completion is open, our behavior may be motivated by practical perceptual awareness alone, responding to invariant features of the perceptual field that are invisible to other forms of perceptual awareness. On this view, we see more than we think we see, as evidenced by our skillful bodily behavior.

Keywords
Shape constancy Isomorphism Medial axis Merleau-Ponty Presence of absence Perceptual awareness Skill

Seeing what is not seen

Last edited:
Here's the summary in a one liner:

"In our approach, therefore, the reason that a proposition is true is because it designates an objectively existing state of affairs, albeit of a contextual nature."

Makes perfect sense to me. What's next?

What's next is understanding what is meant, what is signified, what becomes clear when we comprehend the "contextual nature" of what we experience and 'know'.

Very interesting ... I found a good review on the Notre Dame site of another book by Norris and also this spirited defense of philosophy in the face of a recent attack by Stephen Hawking that Norris wrote for Philosophy Now:

Hawking contra Philosophy | Issue 82 | Philosophy Now

This response by Christopher Norris to Hawkings's recent misunderstanding of philosophy's role in science is excellent. Would you also post a link to the NDPR review you referenced of another of Norris's books? Thanks.

David Morris, Rethinking development: introduction to a special section of Phenomenology and the cognitive sciences.

Abstract:
This introduction to a special section of Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences reviews some historical and contemporary results concerning the role of development in cognition and experience, arguing that at this juncture development is an important topic for research in phenomenology and the cognitive sciences. It then suggests some ways in which the concept of development is in need of rethinking, in relation to the phenomena, and reviews the contributions that articles in the section make toward this purpose.

Research Interests:
Cognitive Science, Philosophy of Biology, Developmental Biology, Evolutionary Developmental Biology, Phenomenology, Dynamical Systems Approach to Cognition, and Dynamic Systems Theory

Rethinking Development: Introduction to a Special section of Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences

I've sent a request to David Morris to make the full article available at academia.edu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back