• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Armed Alien Soldier Caught Stalking Rover

Bode well for your conclusions. You have already characterized something based on very slim 'evidence'. What you are showing looks like a tire track to me, but what do I know. Look at what is being shown - how is it a water management devise? Explain how it would work? What is it showing exactly? I suspect you are interpreting the dark/light in the picture as showing solid metallic bits. As stated, I would need to see the larger context for the picture.

When you state: "A water management device crossed my mind because, as I might have said, we have seen various kinds of constructions on the surface for control of water flow, holding ponds/tanks, etc." It is clear you are already operating from a conclusion - this does not bode well for your research. Many a scientist has been led far afield of the facts when seduced into making premature conclusions.

56b649a0bfa98_marsjert.jpg

How do we know that's not just some guy's random photo?

Where's the JPL data source?

On the way. I've written to Neville Thompson, who produced the gigapan of the area on Mars (from JPL data) from which this image was cropped, and asked him to identify the Curiosity SOL that included this image.

I'll also track down the source of the other image you ask about (the figure enhanced by both Martine Grainey and someone else whose enhancement appeared in the video and website article @Tyger linked in the thread's opening post.

One note: Martine always works with raw JPL images, whereas some other image researchers further enhance images already worked with by others. Most people active in this field crop and enhance specific objects, structures, etc., from the searchable gigapans produced from JPL panoramas; the best of these begin with the more accurate PDS versions of JPL panoramas, which are released months after the original raw data.

Last edited:
Bode well for your conclusions. You have already characterized something based on very slim 'evidence'. What you are showing looks like a tire track to me, but what do I know. Look at what is being shown - how is it a water management devise? Explain how it would work? What is it showing exactly? I suspect you are interpreting the dark/light in the picture as showing solid metallic bits. As stated, I would need to see the larger context for the picture.

When you state: "A water management device crossed my mind because, as I might have said, we have seen various kinds of constructions on the surface for control of water flow, holding ponds/tanks, etc." It is clear you are already operating from a conclusion - this does not bode well for your research. Many a scientist has been led far afield of the facts when seduced into making premature conclusions.

Please ease up a bit, Tyger. I didn't claim that what's captured in this image is a water management device but that I think it might be, could be. I've been told that when that image was first discussed in the FB Mars forums (before I began following and participating in these forums a year ago) some viewers of the image speculated that it might be the site of a crashed ufo. For all we know, it could be. But, as I've said, a number of JPL images accumulated and studied over the last six years suggest (to a number of people following Mars images) the still-visible traces of engineered attempts on Mars to direct the flow of water on the surface when water becomes seasonally available in the springtime melting of the polar ice caps, and in some other instances suggesting that groundwater has been gathered and conveyed underground from one place to another. There are also, btw, Mars images suggestive of mining operations, and recently several images showing excavations underway through partially visible mechanical means or their traces.

I'd like to see a thread here where others following Mars image research could post particularly interesting images singled out from the JPL rover panoramas and satellite images, but I don't want to argue about conjectures and interpretations of what appears in these images. We don't know enough yet. Most of the time all we can do is interpret, speculate about, the whole and precise nature of what we see in these images.

Given a) the condition of the JPL releases of raw data from the rover cameras [generally muddy as a result of the orange filter JPL applies to them and presented without enhancement of the light and dark contrasts {and colors} latent in the images], and given b) current photo analysis and enhancement technology available to many civilian researchers, there is much more that can now be developed and seen in these images.

Much of what we see consists of structures, sculptures, carvings that remain visible in the standing ruins of former Mars civilizations. We cannot know at this point -- from the available images obtained in the limited areas explored by the rovers -- the extent to which earlier civilizations on Mars developed technologies close to our own present technologies (or even potentially beyond then). So pursuing what understanding we can obtain concerning past life on Mars (and potentially extant life there) requires a great deal of patience.

By now we see enough in what has been released by NASA/JPL over recent years to recognize expressions of intelligence, activity, and artistic creativity on Mars similar to what remains visible on our planet from earlier periods of human life on earth. This alone makes the pursuit of what we can learn from the continual flow of new images from Mars intensely interesting to me among many others.

Those interested in this developing research have no end of websites where they can follow it. Those not interested in this subject needn't bother with it and don't. In the meantime, I don't want to be required to write paragraphs about every anomalous image I post, defending my conjectures about what we might be looking at. I responded to your opening post only because I'd seen a similar image in Martine Grainey's research posted in FB, and it now seems likely that both enhancements originated in the same Curiosity SOL data, which I'm tracking down for @marduk.

So I think I'll stop posting here what I consider to be interesting anomalies in the Mars images since, as generally happens in the Paracast forums, bringing anomalies forward for contemplation usually results in arguments that consume time and energy and are never resolved. In my view, potentially sigificant anomalies seen in images like these are interesting in themselves as food for thought while we wait for further information to surface.

Last edited:
Please ease up a bit, Tyger.
Nothing to 'ease up' from. I just gave my views.
I didn't claim that what's captured in this image is a water management device but that I think it might be, could be.
And my questions stand regarding how such a mechanism would work given the image.
So I think I'll stop posting here what I consider to be interesting anomalies in the Mars images since, as generally happens in the Paracast forums, bringing anomalies forward for contemplation usually results in arguments that consume time and energy and are never resolved. In my view, potentially sigificant anomalies seen in images like these are interesting in themselves as food for thought while we wait for further information to surface.
I am not arguing with you. I just gave my views of what you were showing - which is basically I am not seeing what you see and question the conclusions being drawn from such images. You seem to be suggesting that contrary to your view is 'arguing'. Not happening from my end. Too bad because I'd like to hear more of the reasoning - and see more of the images - and why the interpretations are trending the way they are. I am open but I'm not 'there' at this time. Seems fair. But clearly to each his own.

Last edited:
Turns out this image was obtained through magnification of the HiRise image at this link:

HiRISE | Swirls of Rock in Candor Chasma (PSP_001984_1735)

I'm waiting for and will post the link to the gigapan Neville Thompson produced of the relevant area in the satellite image.
Ok great. Everything works better if you reference the original source.

Here's what it says:

One of the most eye-catching aspects of this scene are the intricate swirls that these layers form. Sedimentary rock generally accumulates in horizontal layers. These layers, however, have been folded into the patterns that we see today. Folding of the layers that are exposed here may have occurred due to the weight of overlying sediments.

Back