• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Entertainment or Serious Business – What Is UFOlogy To You?

Trevor Wozny

Paranormal Novice
Merriam-Webster states that UFOlogy is the study of unidentified flying objects. It is also and arguably the study of very diverse, very interesting people. A subsection of science and pop culture is the mire we call UFOlogy. The term “unidentified flying objects” can not be more nebulous in breadth and causality. So many idiotic frauds, clickbait campaigns, and disinformation to ingest in so little time. There is no oversight or realistically any common sense in the field. At least, not very much of it abounds.

By no obvious fault of their own, most people gather the majority of their UFO information from TV and movies. That is very unfortunate since both those mediums are entertainment, not education.

Where is your head at? What do YOU think? How can one wrap their central sulcus around all this? How can one separate the signal from the noise? It comes down to one question and one question only.

That question is “Are you interested in UFOlogy to be entertained or do you care what is actually true?” Do not confuse the two, they are completely different beasts.

I understand that most people take UFOlogy in the same bag as ghosts, cryptozoology, and urban legends. It deserves better. UFOlogy is not like the other subjects. The base phenomena that makes up UFOlogy is a real one. An important one. It is more than just 30 or 60 minute TV shows. It is more than unthinking profit based organizations that currently rule the field. It is real and paradigm shaking. At least it has the potential to do so.

I am not guessing as I happen to know that something is going on. I have seen it. I do not do drugs and have a highly detailed job that requires analytic abilities. I have spent many, many clock cycles thinking about what I and my family have seen. I came up empty. It was and is a mystery. But it is something, not nothing. I make no claims to have any insight into the source of the UFO/UAP enigma. We have a universe of possibilities to consider.

When I ponder the unknowns and try to comprehend the incomprehensible I know one thing. That is that the current incarnation of what we call UFOlogy is wrong. There are some great researchers out there digging through government archives looking for that elusive smoking gun. I am not talking about those people because they are all about the facts. I refer to the vast majority that does not take the field seriously.

The people that take this field as just another movie, TV show, or video game. I understand that some people do not know better. Maybe, they never have had a high strange encounter to kick up their seriousness up a notch. Maybe they have never looked up at the stars and seen the center of the Milky Way. Maybe their vision of reality is just what they can see with their own eyes. Maybe the beautiful, bizarre, and amazing grandness of the Universe and our little place in it are never considered. Either hindered by arcane bronze age religions or just plain disinterest fuels these people. Who knows?

The people that are interested in UFOlogy just for entertainment is the problem. They really are. It can be entertaining and deeply satisfying to ponder these things. With the eyes seeing only the spectrum of truth and logic. But yet again this is not what I refer to. The stupefaction of UFOlogy, the gamification of UFOlogy, idiocracy reigns.

If you are one of those people that are just in it to be entertained you must realize you are at grave risk of being a disinformation agent. When you have this mindset your guard is down. You can and will believe anything. Why not, people disengage from reality in movies, TV, and literature all the time. That part of your brain that can smell bullshit is in deep Alpha. Having your brain in this head space, you can and more often than not believe or at least tolerate provable lies.

Give it 60 years. Shake well and what comes out is what we have today. A steaming pile of implausible lies, frauds, and fraudsters. You get people that believe the ridiculous nonsense. You get thousands and thousands of people using zero critical thinking. They like the nonsense. They find the flavor of nonsense that most closely matches their emotional needs. They turn it into a religion, one with a Jesus that is 3 feet tall, has big almond shaped eyes, and has a liking for violent, invasive colonoscopies.

As soon as you suspend disbelief you become a disinformation agent. Kind of a reverse mole. These people spread the frauds as if they were real. Hooking in new victims to the stupefaction of UFOlogy. UFOlogy needs a reboot. We need to scrap it all. From the 60’s and the contactee movement forward it has been a vessel for feces. People decided they could make money off people’s gullibilities and need to believe in something. There is NO truth to be purchased here just frauds and lies. Truth in anything is not for sale, it just is.

For UFOlogy to be accepted by the vast majority of people we have to loose all the bullshit. We must focus on exposing the frauds and fraudsters to clear the field. We must all question the true believers at every turn. Make them think about why and how they believe what they believe. Most will just look at you with that famous 1000 yard stare, but some will think about it and revise their belief systems in the presence to better more encompassing evidence. Those people are our future hope. Not the people that think Nibiru is real even though no one knows where it is in the sky. Not the people that think Adamski, Sitchen, and Billy Meier were anything but con men. Not the people that follow that piece of shit, Dr. Steven Greer. These people are not helping UFOLogy but gravely hindering it. Makes the field look stupid, not only look stupid but truly be stupid.

We have to get the rest of the planet on board with all this. We need to interest the majority of the scientific community in this field. That is never going to happen until we clip all the dead insane wood on the tree of UFOlogy. If we can get the scientific community on board the rest will follow.

To me, this field is serious business. It means more to me than entertainment. It could be so much more than it is today. I hope it means serious business to you as well. Together we can bring the stars home.

Never support a known hoax or hoaxer. Do not believe what you are told is the truth. Research for yourself. Now go out and smack a flat earther, Meier-ite, or Sitchen-head with a huge roundhouse of logic. They will thank you for it later…

Thoughts?

Merriam-Webster states that UFOlogy is the study of unidentified flying objects. It is also and arguably the study of very diverse, very interesting people. A subsection of science and pop culture is the mire we call UFOlogy. The term “unidentified flying objects” can not be more nebulous in breadth and causality. So many idiotic frauds, clickbait campaigns, and disinformation to ingest in so little time. There is no oversight or realistically any common sense in the field. At least, not very much of it abounds.

By no obvious fault of their own, most people gather the majority of their UFO information from TV and movies. That is very unfortunate since both those mediums are entertainment, not education.

Where is your head at? What do YOU think? How can one wrap their central sulcus around all this? How can one separate the signal from the noise? It comes down to one question and one question only.

That question is “Are you interested in UFOlogy to be entertained or do you care what is actually true?” Do not confuse the two, they are completely different beasts.

I understand that most people take UFOlogy in the same bag as ghosts, cryptozoology, and urban legends. It deserves better. UFOlogy is not like the other subjects. The base phenomena that makes up UFOlogy is a real one. An important one. It is more than just 30 or 60 minute TV shows. It is more than unthinking profit based organizations that currently rule the field. It is real and paradigm shaking. At least it has the potential to do so.

I am not guessing as I happen to know that something is going on. I have seen it. I do not do drugs and have a highly detailed job that requires analytic abilities. I have spent many, many clock cycles thinking about what I and my family have seen. I came up empty. It was and is a mystery. But it is something, not nothing. I make no claims to have any insight into the source of the UFO/UAP enigma. We have a universe of possibilities to consider.

When I ponder the unknowns and try to comprehend the incomprehensible I know one thing. That is that the current incarnation of what we call UFOlogy is wrong. There are some great researchers out there digging through government archives looking for that elusive smoking gun. I am not talking about those people because they are all about the facts. I refer to the vast majority that does not take the field seriously.

The people that take this field as just another movie, TV show, or video game. I understand that some people do not know better. Maybe, they never have had a high strange encounter to kick up their seriousness up a notch. Maybe they have never looked up at the stars and seen the center of the Milky Way. Maybe their vision of reality is just what they can see with their own eyes. Maybe the beautiful, bizarre, and amazing grandness of the Universe and our little place in it are never considered. Either hindered by arcane bronze age religions or just plain disinterest fuels these people. Who knows?

The people that are interested in UFOlogy just for entertainment is the problem. They really are. It can be entertaining and deeply satisfying to ponder these things. With the eyes seeing only the spectrum of truth and logic. But yet again this is not what I refer to. The stupefaction of UFOlogy, the gamification of UFOlogy, idiocracy reigns.

If you are one of those people that are just in it to be entertained you must realize you are at grave risk of being a disinformation agent. When you have this mindset your guard is down. You can and will believe anything. Why not, people disengage from reality in movies, TV, and literature all the time. That part of your brain that can smell bullshit is in deep Alpha. Having your brain in this head space, you can and more often than not believe or at least tolerate provable lies.

Give it 60 years. Shake well and what comes out is what we have today. A steaming pile of implausible lies, frauds, and fraudsters. You get people that believe the ridiculous nonsense. You get thousands and thousands of people using zero critical thinking. They like the nonsense. They find the flavor of nonsense that most closely matches their emotional needs. They turn it into a religion, one with a Jesus that is 3 feet tall, has big almond shaped eyes, and has a liking for violent, invasive colonoscopies.

As soon as you suspend disbelief you become a disinformation agent. Kind of a reverse mole. These people spread the frauds as if they were real. Hooking in new victims to the stupefaction of UFOlogy. UFOlogy needs a reboot. We need to scrap it all. From the 60’s and the contactee movement forward it has been a vessel for feces. People decided they could make money off people’s gullibilities and need to believe in something. There is NO truth to be purchased here just frauds and lies. Truth in anything is not for sale, it just is.

For UFOlogy to be accepted by the vast majority of people we have to loose all the bullshit. We must focus on exposing the frauds and fraudsters to clear the field. We must all question the true believers at every turn. Make them think about why and how they believe what they believe. Most will just look at you with that famous 1000 yard stare, but some will think about it and revise their belief systems in the presence to better more encompassing evidence. Those people are our future hope. Not the people that think Nibiru is real even though no one knows where it is in the sky. Not the people that think Adamski, Sitchen, and Billy Meier were anything but con men. Not the people that follow that piece of shit, Dr. Steven Greer. These people are not helping UFOLogy but gravely hindering it. Makes the field look stupid, not only look stupid but truly be stupid.

We have to get the rest of the planet on board with all this. We need to interest the majority of the scientific community in this field. That is never going to happen until we clip all the dead insane wood on the tree of UFOlogy. If we can get the scientific community on board the rest will follow.

To me, this field is serious business. It means more to me than entertainment. It could be so much more than it is today. I hope it means serious business to you as well. Together we can bring the stars home.

Never support a known hoax or hoaxer. Do not believe what you are told is the truth. Research for yourself. Now go out and smack a flat earther, Meier-ite, or Sitchen-head with a huge roundhouse of logic. They will thank you for it later…

Thoughts?

I very much agree with you.However there is no plausible way of regulating the subject to filter out the nonsense.Hopefully by ignoring the hoaxers and deluded they will eventually drift away.In the meantime serious investigators must be supported and encouraged.This may lead to more compelling evidence which will then get the scientific communities attention.The media will then stop treating the subject as a joke and real progress could then be made.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Hello Trevor, welcome to the forum :)

I have read your post and think it is very interesting, and I agree with many of the points you make, however there are some parts that I don't.

I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself to you before criticising some of the things stated.

...Not the people that follow that piece of shit, Dr. Steven Greer...
Welcome aboard Trevor, but no matter how much you dislike someone, we can't allow name-calling or ad homonim attacks on the PC forum—even if it's warranted. Please amend your post and perhaps think of more creative ways to flame the true-believer crowd, Greer, Wilcock or whomever you have issues with...thanks... :cool:

Ufology has very similar threats to traditional teachings not the true believers b.s rather scientific research side of which the video gives a barriers faced by current dogma which is slowly changing attitudes in our society. Maybe Paracast could have Graham Hancock on again,

Welcome aboard Trevor, but no matter how much you dislike someone, we can't allow name-calling or ad homonim attacks on the PC forum—even if it's warranted. Please amend your post and perhaps think of more creative ways to flame the true-believer crowd, Greer, Wilcock or whomever you have issues with...thanks... :cool:

good to see you are fighting fit! :D

The point I was going to make was that I see as much if not more evidence for "cryptids" as I do "UFO's".
But then I am biased....

"All right, Beatrice, there was no alien. The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus."

I think I snorted some Pepsi out through my nose the first time I saw Tommy Lee Jones deliver that line!

Merriam-Webster states that UFOlogy is the study of unidentified flying objects. It is also and arguably the study of very diverse, very interesting people. A subsection of science and pop culture is the mire we call UFOlogy. The term “unidentified flying objects” can not be more nebulous in breadth and causality. So many idiotic frauds, clickbait campaigns, and disinformation to ingest in so little time. There is no oversight or realistically any common sense in the field. At least, not very much of it abounds ..."

A lot of the problem exists in the casual and misleading interpretations of what ufology is and UFOs are. I suggest you check out the links in my signature line for a more detailed look at these issues ( Note: It's not a "mobile friendly" site, so a full featured browser on a laptop or desktop system is suggested ).

To my knowledge these issues have not been as thoroughly considered anywhere else, and the USI interpretations have withstood a number of challenges to skeptics and critics on both sides of the fence. When taken in the context intended, the topic of entertainment becomes just another facet within the overall field that can be studied objectively and/or enjoyed for it's own sake. It falls under the general heading of the Social & Cultural aspects of ufology.

BTW: Interesting website you have linked to in your profile. Are you the architect? What is your role there ( if any )?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links & the website is mine & I post videos myself. It is my You Tube channel but I am sorry it is so basic. I do not change any clips for emphasis & I know I have not used all the You Tube ways of advertising it! But you will be able to leave any comments & as you may have noticed...Jim Oberg is all over it. My friend, LUNA Cognita (?) who is Cary Martynchuck gets millions of hits when he reposts them brilliantly, but my lower hit count is misleading. I get the Obergs & that is more important. I am shadowed by this Jim Oberg & finally I am at a site & with a community with out him!! The site is for anyone who wants to really study a large amount of videos for research..as well as fun. It's just "for the record" People 'borrow' from it all the time & re post. I only ask for credit. Thank for asking.

Any monetization is not my doing...so You Tube is just doing it?? My videos are supposed to be Advertising free. I think you have found a false site cuz I never called myself an angry Ufologist. It shocks me that people are doing this. My You Tube site is under my name. That is the problem with the net..people are ripping people off or falsifying comments & even claiming that my discoveries are there own. I can not keep up. Is it any wonder that UFO researchers pick their spots! Radio/podcasts & documentaries are better cuz you 'talk'. I can not spend all my time chasing these people. If you do what I have done all you become is a target.Thanks for the nice comments, they matter.

Thanks for the links & the website is mine & I post videos myself. It is my You Tube channel but I am sorry it is so basic. I do not change any clips for emphasis & I know I have not used all the You Tube ways of advertising it! But you will be able to leave any comments & as you may have noticed...Jim Oberg is all over it. My friend, LUNA Cognita (?) who is Cary Martynchuck gets millions of hits when he reposts them brilliantly, but my lower hit count is misleading. I get the Obergs & that is more important. I am shadowed by this Jim Oberg & finally I am at a site & with a community with out him!! The site is for anyone who wants to really study a large amount of videos for research..as well as fun. It's just "for the record" People 'borrow' from it all the time & re post. I only ask for credit. Thank for asking.
Oh I see where the problem is. You replied right below a comment I made about Angry Ufologist, so I thought you were referring to that comment. Delete that. This is yours here? UFO - Ufology - The Secret NASA Transmissions by Martyn Stubbs

There have been quite a few reports of queer beasts="cryptids"?

When I say "Cryptid" I use the term quite loosely, so I include things like Giant versions of extant animals, for example giant snakes and birds, but I also include more "unconventional" ones like "surviving" "Dinosaurs" for example the Loch Ness monster or Pterosaurs (flying reptiles).

I would also include more "magical/mythical" animals such as Unicorns, Bigfoot and Elf/Faeries.
However I believe that "mythical" animals such as Bigfoot cannot "physically" interact with the environment/real world. But I do believe they exist, its just that they occupy a little understood domain, which requires a Human observer(s) to "fuel" it.

I am at best an armchair observer, and at worst bored with an active imagination, but I genuinely believe that the key to solving a lot of "mysteries" lies within a better understanding of how the human mind operates.

What I am trying to say is the question I want the answer to is not: "does Bigfoot exist?" but: "why does Bigfoot exist".

Regarding evidence of "UFO's" versus "Cryptids" I think there is Human testimony about both, but at least with certain Cryptids there is some "physical evidence" in the form of Fossils, I am not saying that this proves that they are still alive now, you need a recent specimen for that, but it can be shown irrefutably that they existed at some stage in History, I don't think the same can be said for UFO's, but like I said I am biased because I like Bigfoot.

I looked up Cryptid in the dictionary:

"An animal whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated,"*

So maybe "Aliens" could be counted as "Cryptids" if they are "animals"?

I understand that some real scientists (Astrobiologists)** are looking into the possibilities of life existing outside of planet Earth, but they have no physical evidence of any yet.

*cryptid - definition of cryptid in English | Oxford Dictionaries

**Astrobiology - Wikipedia

When I say "Cryptid" I use the term quite loosely, so I include things like Giant versions of extant animals, for example giant snakes and birds, but I also include more "unconventional" ones like "surviving" "Dinosaurs" for example the Loch Ness monster or Pterosaurs (flying reptiles).

Some time ago, a nessie photo was shown to be a hoax. Dunno if there's any convincing evidence of it.

I would also include more "magical/mythical" animals such as Unicorns, Bigfoot and Elf/Faeries.
However I believe that "mythical" animals such as Bigfoot cannot "physically" interact with the environment/real world. But I do believe they exist, its just that they occupy a little understood domain, which requires a Human observer(s) to "fuel" it.

Occasionally nonhumanoid entities have been reported in association with UFOs. I suspect many cryptid reports (besides certain odd humanoid reports) are part of some ET program to confuse us about the phenomenon.

Regarding evidence of "UFO's" versus "Cryptids" I think there is Human testimony about both, but at least with certain Cryptids there is some "physical evidence" in the form of Fossils, I am not saying that this proves that they are still alive now, you need a recent specimen for that, but it can be shown irrefutably that they existed at some stage in History,

No sane person doubts dinosaurs and pterosaurs existed. But I just can't see any surviving to the present but generally "under the radar."

I understand that some real scientists (Astrobiologists)** are looking into the possibilities of life existing outside of planet Earth, but they have no physical evidence of any yet.

As far as we laymen know. :)

"trajanus": Some time ago, a nessie photo was shown to be a hoax. Dunno if there's any convincing evidence of it.

me: There is eyewitness testimony of Nessy but also a fossil record:
plesiosaurus-skeleton.jpg

But I agree that it is likely that it is mostly a "hoax", but things thought to be long extinct have been found alive today e.g the Coelacanth:

Coelacanth - Wikipedia

Occasionally nonhumanoid entities have been reported in association with UFOs. I suspect many cryptid reports (besides certain odd humanoid reports) are part of some ET program to confuse us about the phenomenon.

I recommend if it is possible for you to watch a BBC documentary series called "spy in the wild" it uses animatronics combined with surveillance equipment to observe and record animals behaving more naturally than they would otherwise, when I saw it I thought of "aliens" using a similar idea to observe us

Here is a small clip showing some of the "robot animals":

&

No sane person doubts dinosaurs and pterosaurs existed. But I just can't see any surviving to the present but generally "under the radar."

I agree that it is unlikely that they are still about, but there are eyewitness reports.

As far as we laymen know. :)

I think for me what it boils down to is belief and experience, for some reason I am drawn towards Cryptids as opposed to UFO's (maybe accounts of alien abduction or the treatment of abductees have put me off UFO's) and maybe my preference makes me blinkered or biased but I think they (UFO's and Cryptids) are equally valid. well being totally honest I believe Cryptids are slightly more valid.

From what I have seen both "fields" are based around "Human testimony" and not only is human perception "unreliable", people lie. However I lose nothing when I suspend my disbelief and entertain the possibilities, and I would find it impossible to defend a position that suggested that all eyewitnesses are mistaken or lying, in other words I believe that people experience some extraordinary happenings, but what is actually going on I don't know. Maybe in the future there will be a breakthrough in our understanding of our brains that allows us to understand what is going on, for as far as I can tell it is too early to draw any conclusions.

I am just here for the ride, and don't expect to ever know "the answers".

Last edited:
But I agree that it is likely that it is mostly a "hoax", but things thought to be long extinct have been found alive today e.g the Coelacanth:

I knew about the coelacanth, but a plesiosaur is not only bigger there's no way it could've survived in loch ness during the ice ages.

I agree that it is unlikely that they are still about, but there are eyewitness reports.

There are also reports of "reptilian" aliens so I think ET is behind the dino sightings too. The coelacanth had remote seas to hide in but it's very hard o believe real dinosaurs survived 66 m.y. after chicxulub. Both cryptids and aliens have evaded real verification, but at least a superior civilization makes that seem credible.

Back