• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

January 22, 2017: Alejandro Rojas and Robert Powell with Goggs Mackay

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Chris returns and we also feature guest co-host and forum moderator Goggs Mackay.

This is a refreshing change of pace, where we talk about modern UFO cases and Alejandro gives us a brief preview of the forthcoming International UFO Congress scheduled for February 15-17, 2017 in Fountain Hills, AZ

I enjoyed the double header. I also enjoyed hearing Lynne Kitei, even if she is talkative. I do believe the Phoenix lights are genuinely anomalous. And that doesn't mean they are extraterrestrial; a point Kitei agrees with.

Enjoyed the show and all guests (Not true believers). One point on the Roswell Case is not US rather more effects on the international stage regarding the spy wars at that period in history 1940s . Whatever happened was a great story which went World wide even Communist China viewed it as real event at first. However, there is something which will be uncovered near future even if it's not a so called Flying Saucer (unknown). Maybe it was some technology developments ? from allied boffins not any other source. The sightings of UFO's which seen by a sonar operator during the 1980s. The myth was seen again on two occasions by reported eyewitness and passengers during the 1980s and was this the same types seen by eyewitness in the 1950s ? What on earth would the US Government spend on its Armed forces if not a threat? Also was it the first type of "WMD" fear/excuse to supplement defence budget increase with in occam razor: technology advancements ?

Foreign Relations of the United States, 1945–1950, Emergence of the Intelligence Establishment - Office of the Historian

The National Security Act of 1947: its Thirtieth Anniversary

Also the creation of the Central Intelligence Agency (C.I.A) from its World War Two from the yolk of counter-espionage the
The Office of Strategic Services: Secret Intelligence Branch — Central Intelligence Agency which had to deal with tidal wave of ongoing spy wars among the Cold War intelligence groups. Furthermore, what did "the Cambridge Five" not just the Soviets , the French or Israel's while establishing it state 1948 known about the Roswell case? Yes agree more modern cases of (unknowns) need to be looked at with open minds. Maybe we will never
get down to the truth unless all the information comes to light from classified sources ? the reported crash or two? Maybe the great Paracast show will able to get Authors Mr Nick Cook and Mrs Annie Jacobsen together would be great interview about technology developments and disinformation due to stolen valour and fraudster due to deception management practices .

Were Soviets behind Roswell UFO?

Q.1 How many times did Mr Nick Cook and Mrs Annie Jacobsen interview the late Ben Rich? Nick Cook: an interview with the author - The Oxford Student

The video below about the political developments of post WW2 and what was the Russians up to at that time during the Cold War at this time with its spy networks,

Last edited:
Once again, had an enjoyable day at Alejandro’s International UFO Congress on Saturday, despite it raining all day. It was again located at the scenic We-Ko-Pa Resort in the desert hills north-east of Phoenix. I’d say there were quite a few people covering the conference. Every time I turned around in the vender or other gathering areas it seemed there was a news or documentary crew filming an interview or the other goings on.

A few notes on the five lectures I attended:
  • Charles Halt - Bentwaters Revisited. From the lecture, and in talking with Col. Halt afterward, I learned a few things I had not heard before. (I expect these are discussed in Halt’s massive new book which I’ve just begun to read)
    • On the first night Dec 25-26 1980, when Penniston, Burroughs and Cabansag encountered the object in the forest, there were 40 minutes when they were out of communication with the base that the three security officers could not account for.
    • On that night, Cabansag stood further back away from the object while the other two walked up to it. Cabansag has a recollection of seeing Burroughs being levitated up to the object.
    • The two nights that are well known are Dec 25-26 when the three had their encounter, and two nights later on Dec 27-28 when Col Halt and his team had their encounter. There was, however, also an incident on Dec 26-27. Col Halt said that on that second night a female security officer, who he considered a very promising young airman, again went out to explore lights in the forest. It isn’t clear what happened, but the officer came back with her gun missing. She then experienced a mental breakdown, and had to be removed from the base.
    • On the third night, after Halt’s team came back out of the forest, Burroughs asked if he could quickly go back to the first night’s landing site. Burroughs feels that when he went back to the site, he had some type of unexplainable experience. Col Halt and his team had Burroughs and an accompanying airman in view the whole time. They did not perceive anything unusual.
  • Ben Hansen - Analysis of Recent Presidential UFO Comments. Ben Hansen is the host of the Fact of Faked television show. Hansen, a former FBI agent, presented a fun lecture in which, applying techniques he used during FBI interrogations, he analyzed comments about UFOs made in TV interviews by Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton. The techniques are used to detect stress which might indicate deception. I believe that most his analysis is available on YouTube. I’ve seen Hansen speak three times and have always come away with a very positive impression. He comes across as very straight-forward and rational. You might not always agree with his conclusions, but he clearly lays out his evidence, rationale and conclusions in a way that allows you to draw your own conclusions. There is certainly no attempt at sleight of hand or con in his lectures.
  • Richard Dolan - Media Bias in UFO Coverage: Culture, Policy or Something Else? This was the second time I’ve heard Dolan speak. Note that I am not making any of the nice comments I made about Ben Hansen when it comes to Dolan. Dolan presented a lecture that he prepared just for the conference that was timely. It was basically the “press is the enemy of the people” line in the context of the history of UFO coverage. I would sum up Dolan’s message as, "don’t even pay attention to the major news outlets, it can even make you sick, but be open to beliefs labeled as conspiracy theories”. (They have probably been labeled as “conspiracy theories” by the CIA.) Knowing the background and details of some of the things he was saying, I found some of his statements to be very deliberately misleading. While some of what he presented was solid info on the history of UFO coverage, he spent a great deal of time blasting all of the major news outlets other than Fox News, until someone in the audience called him on that point. If you want to be in line with Dolan’s message I would say, ignore Anderson Cooper, Carl Bernstein and Fox News, and listen to Alex Jones. (Though Dolan did at one point misleadingly cite a 1977 Carl Bernstein article as a basis for one his “theories”)
  • Erling Strand - The Hessdalen Phenomena and Project Hessdalen, This was a very interesting lecture. I had been familiar with the Hessdalen UFO phenomena, but was not aware of the full extent of the phenomenon or the extent of the scientific study of it.
    • The Hessdalen valley is a sparsely populated 10 mile long valley in Norway in which there have been thousands of UFO observations over the last few decades.
    • A very intense wave of sightings began in November of 1981 and abruptly declined in the autumn of 1984. During the wave there were up 20 observations per week. After 1984 it declined to about 20 per year.
    • The first scientific observations for Project Hessdalen began in January of 1984. During that one month study, over 50 observations were recorded. In a similar study one year later only one observation was made. There have been various periodic studies in the years since, with an automatic observation station being first implemented in 1998.
    • Most of the observations are of one of three types - 1) white or blue flashes; 2) balls of of yellow or yellow-white light which can last from minutes to hours, appear near the ground or in the sky, move slowly or fast, sometimes flash in a pattern, and can have a second light of a different color attached; 3) multiple lights moving in conjunction as though attached to an object. When seen in some daylight, a dark shape has been seen between the lights. While these three types comprise about 85% of the observations, daylight discs have also been observed. On some occasions, including in an hours long sighting recorded by Professor Strand, the balls of light have cast spotlights up into the sky, or down to the ground.
    • The Hassdalen Project has utilized many of the instruments planned for Chris’s project, UFOTOG, and UFODATA projects - including optical spectral analysis. IR-viewer, seismograph, radar, magneto-graph, geiger counter, weather station, and logging of conventional air traffic.
    • Pro. Strand described some of the individual observations. During one of the many times it was recorded on radar, an object was clocked traveling 18,600 mph. On another occasion, when a laser was pointed at a flashing light, the rate of flash doubled when the laser hit it. When the laser was moved away the rate returned to it’s original frequency. This was repeated eight or nine times. And in a 1991 observation, a light was tracked traveling parallel to the ground when it stopped and descended until it touched the snow. It then rose up and returned to where it had come from. At the spot where it had touched the snow a spiral track was found in the snow in which the bacteria had been killed.
    • When Hessdalen Project data was presented in an international scientific workshop in 1994 it was well received by the participating scientists. A number of the scientists said it represented an unknown phenomenon outside of known physics.
    • As of the time of the Feb 18 lecture, the most recent observation recorded by the Hassdalen Project station was on Feb 12, 2017.
    • More information on Hessdalen is available at Project Hessdalen
  • James Fox-The Phoenix Lights 20 Years Later. James Fox closed out the day of lectures with a presentation on the Phoenix Lights. After playing a video that included interviews with a number of witnesses, Fox brought a mother and her 30-year-old daughter up to the stage to tell a compelling account of their March 13, 1997 sighting.
    • The two, along with three others, were driving north on I-10 from Tucson to Phoenix to attend a swim meet. The sighting began when they were in the vicinity of Casa Grande. (Not far from where I believe Chris was inside his hotel room that night). The mother was sitting in the middle of the car’s back seat, with her 10-year-old daughter on one side, and another girl on her other side. When they encountered the object it was moving slowly over the interstate in the opposite direction. They described it as enormous, well over a mile wide. They felt its lights were so large that if it had come down one light would have been wider than the interstate. If it had come down they said, “it would have wiped out the mountains on either side of the interstate.” The mother recalled seeing seams on the dark surface of the object that was blocking out the sky. Although they were traveling at 75mph, they recalled driving underneath the object for several minutes. While it is likely difficult to estimate time in such a situation, the mother did say that while under it she had time to watch it, then pull out her camera, focus on the dark area blocking out the sky, focus on the lights, and after deciding she could not get a good enough picture to spend time loading film into her camera, put the camera back down and continued watching, all while driving underneath it. As the trailing edge of the object came over, the mother leaned back and watched it go over out the back window of the car. She then turned around to try to regain sight of it. By the time she turned around it was gone. Her daughter, who was hanging her head out the window, said that at the moment her mother was turning around she saw the object shoot off faster than anything she could imagine. Though the daughter watching most of it out the open window, and they had turned off the radio to see if they could hear anything, none of them heard any sound from the object.
    • James Fox next played an extended interview with former Arizona governor Fife Symington who witnessed a similar object that night moving over Camelback Mountain in the heart of Phoenix. (For those not familiar with Phoenix, this is not the mountain over which the “flares” were seen, which is outside of Phoenix to the south west.)
    • While the mother and daughter, Governor Symington, and many other witnesses described a similar enormous triangular-shaped object, other witnesses described strange objects of very different descriptions. Fox made the point towards the end that while it would make a tighter cleaner narrative for a documentary to say the one object moved over Arizona that night, it should really be said that a parade of unexplained objects travelled over Arizona that night.

Back