• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — March 22, 2015

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
March 22, 2015
www.theparacast.com

Precognition and Remote Viewing Explored on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Announcing The Paracast+: You asked for it! For a low monthly or annual subscription fee, you will receive access to a higher-quality ad-free version of The Paracast, chat rooms, and don’t miss our exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring politically incorrect color commentary, and other exclusive content. NEW! We’ve added an RSS feed for fast updates of the latest episodes, and The Paracast+ video channel is coming soon. For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: This week Gene and Chris focus the conversation on precognition and remote viewing. Can you take a trip via your mind to another location, and can you predict the future? Our guest, is Marty Rosenblatt, said to be an authority on precognition from a scientific and applications standpoint that includes Associate Remote Viewing (ARV) and other methods. He has worked with many of the most prominent names in remote viewing that include: Joe McMoneagle, Dean Radin, Russell Targ, Skip Atwater, Stephan Schwartz, Ed May and Paul Elder. The focus of the organization that he co-founded, Applied Precognition Project (APP), is to educate society about precognition by making money using Associative Remote Viewing (ARV). Curious? We also plan a “great experiment.”

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

Applied Precognition Project: app-website

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

About the Inventor of Paranormal Radio
By Gene Steinberg

We’re proud of the fact that The Paracast gets high marks when it comes to paranormal radio shows. But we are far from the first in this tiny arena. While some of you might regard Art Bell’s Coast To Coast AM as the first successful show of its type, that honor goes to the late Long John Nebel.

Nebel began his radio career in 1954 on WOR, a major New York City station. Since it was on what we call a clear channel, 710 AM, where there weren’t many competing stations on the same frequency, the show could be heard at night in dozens of states. So Long John became a national radio personality years before he actually got a network syndication deal.

Long John focused his show, which originally ran from midnight until 5:00 AM, on all sorts of topics from politics to the world of the strange and unknown. Indeed, many of the famous figures of early UFO and paranormal research were lucky enough to got booked on Long John’s show, but there was no guarantee of a favorable reception from the host.

So at times, Long John and his panel of regulars would treat a guest in a fair and balanced fashion, smartly eliciting information. At other times, and sometimes it depended on the state of the host’s mercurial personality, he and his cohorts would go after a guest and viserate them on the air.

Long John had his sole chance at a TV career in the 1960s, but the show didn’t grab the ratings and was discontinued. Still there were some classic moments. One that comes to mind was the appearance of a well-known UFO contactee, Howard Menger. He had already told his tales stories about meeting extraterrestrials on a number of occasions on Long John’s radio show, so it seemed natural that he’d present some pretty far out material on the TV show.

But Menger pulled a fast one. He used his TV appearance to completely mess with Long John’s head. He unexpectedly asserted that his contact experiences may not have involved aliens after all, but perhaps government agents who were engaged in some sort of psychological experiment.

In passing, Menger told the very same story to me and Jim Moseley when we met him in the mid-1960s at a New York City diner. But you can bet that Long John was surprised, and very much irritated, to be confronted with such an unexpected development.

And, by the way, Jim and I never really believed any of Menger’s outrageous claims, but he seemed a personable fellow, if perhaps more than a little crazy.

Some of Long John’s panelists were famous in their own right, such as Jackie Gleason, who had a deep interest in UFOs and kept a library of hundreds of books on the subject. Another of his regulars was Khigh Dhiegh. a character actor probably best known to TV viewers as Wo Fat in the original “Hawaii Five-O.” But he also gained fame as the evil oriental doctor in “The Manchurian Candidate.”

One of Long John’s producers was Paris Flammonde, who did have an authentic interest in UFOs and later wrote books on that subject and the Kennedy assassination.

Long John was the consummate showman and he was notorious for pulling over-the-top stunts from time to time on his radio show. So there was a time when Gray Barker, Jim Moseley’s close friend and fellow traveler, was on Long John’s show to talk about the Men In Black. Well, during one segment, Long John mentioned something about the government possibly cutting them off the air, and suddenly music filled the speakers in the studio and on the radios of listeners.

Long John claimed that station management called the control room and asked them to terminate the episode with extreme prejudice. They clearly wanted to convey the impression that the discussion came to a halt because of government interference to prevent something important from being revealed. Moseley later told me it was just a silly prank, though I wonder if Long John’s employers were happy with how it went down.

The long and short of it — and forgive the pun — is that Long John presented episodes about the paranormal strictly to build an audience, not necessarily because he actually believed in any of it. Before getting the radio gig, he ran an auction and consignment store in New Jersey, and was regarded as the consummate salesman. Indeed, his ad-libbed commercials were, at times, the best part of the show.

When I was young, I’d frequently stay up late at night to listen to Long John. I was never a guest on the show — I was too young — but I can point to him as an inspiration for my later decision to become a broadcaster.

In passing, my late brother, Wally, actually did appear as a panelist on the show, but only once. Evidently they wanted him to return, but he had a day job and a young family to support. Radio wasn’t in his blood.

In the final years of his life, Long John had a co-host, his wife Candy Jones, a former model. Now maybe it was just a scam of which Long John was a part, but there was that curious book, “The Control of Candy Jones,” which claimed that she was used by the CIA as a guinea pig as part of their MK-ULTRA mind control experiments.

The story has it that this curious situation was revealed when Long John hypnotized his wife, and brought forth evidence of a second identity, someone named “Arlene,” who was allegedly used by the authorities to engage in top secret activities. Whenever Jones had to perform government work, she’d become Arlene.

Or maybe it was another of Long John’s notorious hoaxes; some suggest false memories. Either possibility seems more likely than that Candy Jones was actually a government agent.

It does bring to mind that outrageous “unauthorized” autobiography from “Gong Show” host Chuck Barris, who claimed that he spent nearly two decades living a second life as a covert CIA assassin. The story was adapted for a modestly successful film directed by George Clooney and starring Sam Rockwell as Barris.

Long John Nebel died of cancer in 1978. Candy Jones took over the show and ran it until 1989. She died the following year.

While Long John presented paranormal discussions in the interests of entertainment rather than conveying authentic information about our “way out world,” it’s a sure thing that he set the standard for paranormal radio.

Copyright 1999-2015 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

While the ufo phenomenon has been on my radar since my youth I can honestly say it was never a very big interest to me until about five years ago. Even then it wasn't so much ufos in particular but the high strangeness accounts and synchronicity that drew me in.

Going from the accounts I've heard over the years it sounds like i would have been enamored of both Jim Moseley and Long John based on their sense of humor alone. But at the same time it seems like both guys were on a frenemy based relationship with ufos. I think i would have really related to Jim in particular.

I think my point is that from a certain pov neither Long John nor Jim could be promoted as towing the line when it comes to advancing the state of UFO cause yet both are often looked upon rather fondly which i think is pretty cool, maybe because of their "rouge status " ( i don't know if that is the term I'm looking for)

i wonder if there is anybody around today that may fit this template because most the people I hear about seem firmly entrenched in one camp or the other and while respectful of someone's position not really enamored of each other. Maybe because I have got a little immersed in this field over the years it does seem to be I've never been associated with a field that had an almost the enemy of my enemy is my friend feeling

Last edited:
Long John was certainly a character, but he was most appreciated for bringing on some of the early legends in UFO research, in addition to some of the wackos. I think our library of Jim Moseley episodes provides the best example of his wisdom and humor. He was far more controlled on the air in the early days.

Back