• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — January 25, 2015

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
January 25, 2015
www.theparacast.com

The Mystery of Triangular UFOs Explored on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Announcing The Paracast+: You asked for it! For a low monthly or annual subscription fee, you will receive access to a higher-quality ad-free version of The Paracast, chat rooms, the all-new After The Paracast podcast, featuring politically incorrect color commentary, and other exclusive content. For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris introduce David Marler, author of "Triangular UFOs: An Estimate of the Situation," will be our guest next week. His book has received great reviews, including a Five-Star review from none other than Ray Stanford. This discussion begins with David, who is certified in hypnotherapy, discussing UFO abductions and the alarm bells that go off in studying some of these cases. He'll also cover his sharp focus on the consistent presence of triangular UFOs and how they might relate to the ongoing reports of strange craft in the sky.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

Those Revelations About Project Blue Book
By Gene Steinberg

For those who tuned in late, we all know that the Air Force had several investigative projects devoted to investigating UFOs beginning in the late 1940s. The efforts were renamed Project Blue Book in the 1950s, which was shuttered in 1969 after the release of the Condon Report.

Although that report was labeled a whitewash, the conclusion there was nothing strange about UFOs gave the Air Force cover to get out of the flying saucer business. Before then, however, you wondered how the agency actually managed to investigate anything since it usually had a tiny staff. Sure, I suppose they could call on other government agencies to conduct most on-site investigations, but people who are active in studying UFOs tended to believe it was just a PR front. It was the go-to place for the Air Force to debunk any suggestion of UFO reality.

Now if you’ve been online for a while, you’ll know that there are several repositories, some searchable, of Project Blue Book reports. Aside from documents that are all or partly redacted, usually in the alleged interests of national security, it’s all pretty much out there. One of those sites can be found at: Blue Book Archive.

The original release of many of these documents can actually be traced back several decades to NICAP, Major Donald Keyhoe’s UFO organization. A quick search of Google, Bing, or whatever search engine you prefer, will turn sources were you can mine the Blue Book document collection.

But out of the blue this past week (excuse the pun) comes a story that made the national press that claimed that, due to the work of a single UFO researcher in retrieving documents via the Freedom of Information Act, the Blue Book documents are now online. The stories were all similar enough in reporting the basic premise, that John Greenewald, a veteran of the FOIA wars, and proprietor of The Black Vault, is now hosting those documents.

Now before we get into Greenwald’s involvement in this story, if any of those reporters spent five minutes online, they would have realized that the claim that these documents are only now reaching the Internet is just not true. Research appears to be something today’s reporters seldom do.

So where does the blame for this erroneous story lie?

Well, I know I was first inclined to wonder what Greenewald was up to. He’s twice been a guest on The Paracast, on March 3, 2013 and August 5, 2007. To me, he seemed a straight shooter and all, dedicated to doing the hard work in getting as many UFO-related documents online as possible. Was it possible he was engaged in a little glory-seeking in spreading a phony story?

In writing a response to Kevin D. Randle’s blog, A Different Perspective, Greenewald denies that he was responsible for creating a false impression. He admits the truth about the history of Blue Book archives, and claims the media just got the story wrong.

While it does make sense for different accounts of an interview or announcement to vary depending on the interpretation of an individual reporter, the consistency of these stories is troubling. True, I wasn’t present when the announcement was made, so I wouldn’t presume to guess why the mainstream media, pretty much without exception, goofed up. Was it their fault? Or did Greenewald present the announcement in a way that made it just ambiguous enough to create the wrong impression?

It’s a sure thing, however, that there have been no retractions that I’ve seen. Greenewald’s explanation — or correction — has only appeared in a few places, and not the mainstream media outlets that first published the story. Or I haven’t seen any. It thus leaves the original story and the erroneous impression intact for most people.

On the positive side, maybe people who never before considered the subject, or the cases the Air Force investigated, will now visit The Black Vault to get the full story in a fairly easy access format. When you visit www.theblackvault.com/, however, you’ll see Greenwald’s UFO repository has essentially been taken over by the Project Blue Book Collection. It is laid out in a fairly straightforward fashion, with easy searching for the document that might interest you. But I did not see a statement from Greenewald on the home page explaining the confusion over the sourcing, and correcting the record, though I suppose such a statement could show up. That is very troubling, because, unless or until things change, it makes his explanation that the media got it all wrong ring hollow.

While the scanned material, available for download in PDF format, is fairly well organized considering the sheer number of documents that were included, the rest of the Black Vault archives are only available via a separate link, a world unto themselves. They aren’t integrated with the Blue Book material.

In any case, I want to be fair to Greenewald. Maybe he is right that it’s not his fault. It’s also true that getting the press to correct a story is extremely difficult. When it happens, the correction is often published or posted in an out-of-the-way place, so few ever got to see it. That’s true regardless of the impact of the original story, even if that error indicts an innocent person or otherwise causes harm. So maybe if I looked hard enough, I’d find some corrections.

And to be fair, the media coverage was fairly straightforward, although my spinal hairs were prickled by the decision to label those interested in UFOs as “extraterrestrial believers.” But it doesn’t surprise me that the media assumes that we all attribute UFOs to visitations by beings from other planets. That’s been the prevailing opinion for decades, and I expect that a majority of our listeners are in that camp.

I have also resisted the temptation to contact the media and attempt to explain the fine distinctions, or not-so-fine distinctions, in approaches to the UFO enigma. That would make for poor soundbites. The concept is not easily explained, particularly to a public and a news media that looks at the subject as an either/or matter rather than something that is extremely complex. A “Reader’s Digest” response just won’t do.

It’s also unfortunate that, because of how this all happened, a story that should reflect positively on the subject of UFOs will inevitably become a bit of a muddled mess. But why should I expect things to change?

Copyright 1999-2015 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back