• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — August 3, 2014

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
August 3, 2014
www.theparacast.com

Veteran UFO Researcher Stanton Friedman Returns to The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. Or use theDonate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. You can also send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: If there was ever a person who could be declared the "dean" of UFO researchers, it might very well be Stanton T. Friedman, a long-time UFO investigator and a nuclear physicist. Friedman is one of the key researchers into the Roswell crash and other events over the years, and has posited a strong case that the phenomenon is the result of extraterrestrials visiting Earth. His recent books include "Flying Saucers and Science" (2008) and "Science Was Wrong," (2010) co-authored with Kathleen Marden.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: http://www.ourstrangeplanet.com

Stanton Friedman’s Blog: Stanton Friedman - Physicist, Lecturer, UFO Researcher

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

Are You a Flying Saucer Abductee?
By Gene Steinberg

Let me cut to the chase: Have you ever considered even the remote possibility that, after seeing a UFO one or more times at close range, you may have been abducted by its crew? That may seem an outlandish prospect — and I don’t disagree with you — but there is some discussion as to whether it’s a real possibility.

So there’s a recent article from Mike Clelland on the Open Minds site, entitled “The possible unsettling implications of UFO sightings,” which quotes several abduction investigators about the possibility. Now it’s fair to say the article is all over the place, with some having a far more conservative and I believe logical approach to the subject.

Certainly some flying saucer sightings occur at close range, and these are the cases that may contain the most compelling evidence. At least the witness or witnesses should be able to record more distinct details of the craft, which allows investigators to build a compelling case as to what really happened.

It’s also correct that an abductee might report seeing a UFO before or after the event, or both. But many of these cases do not directly involve a UFO sighting. They simply occur when one is out in the woods, in a bedroom and so on and so forth. The UFO connection results from the fact that apparent aliens are involved.

There might even be telltale clues of a possible abduction, and missing time is a key factor. Suddenly minutes or hours pass, with no recollection of what actually occurred. A motorist might be traveling along a highway only to discover that they are farther along towards their destination than they expected, and the clock reveals that time has elapsed for which they can’t account.

I would presume there are physical or mental conditions that might cause blackouts, even though, during that timeframe, the experiencer may seem perfectly normal. At least the car doesn’t end up in a ditch or is involved in a serious accident. It’s also true that investigating a missing time episode often reveals the possibly suppressed details of an abduction.

But you cannot assume, then, that all close-range UFO sightings — even if they are repeated from time to time — involve anything more than the presence of that UFO. You might as well argue that all humans eat food to survive, but you can’t conclude that all humans are vegetarians. I had some more grisly comparisons in mind, but you get the picture. You cannot make the abduction leap without doing new interviews with UFO witnesses that fit into this category to see whether or not there are other elements or clues that might indicate there’s more to the event than just seeing something strange.

Still, I suppose one can credit Clelland with some fascinating out-of-the-box thinking, but I do hope he didn’t come up with this idea just to boost the Open Minds hit count. It certainly sparks discussions, but it hardly offers illumination on the topic.

On the other hand, I do believe the abduction scenario is clearly worth further investigation. As it stands, the subject is highly polarized. Some people feel that there are occasional abduction episodes, others believe that millions of humans may have been abducted at one time or another. Yet there are others who discount the entire abduction phenomenon as evidence of dreams, sleep paralysis or some deep-seated psychological problem. There are also theories involving interactions with some sort of unknown phenomenon that manifests itself as an alien visitor for some reason.

Regardless, a number of people have suffered deep psychological stress and possible post traumatic stress disorder as the result of what they believe to be an abduction experience. That the experience may repeat itself one or more times is even more troubling.

While healthy debate on the subject is productive, we have those unfortunate situations where sensationalism may pervade far too many of these discussions. We have, for example, the case of a now-departed abduction investigator who found himself viciously attacked while suffering from the advanced stages of a terminal illness.

Most of you know who I’m talking about, but I wanted to focus this column less on personalities and more on the issues. Certainly that researcher wasn’t above legitimate criticism, but the timing was curious, particularly since the critics knew of his physical condition and how the attacks caused him even further stress.

Unfortunately, rampant personal attacks continue to pollute the UFO field. It’s a key reason why some believe the field is “toxic,” and I find it hard to disagree. No matter where you go, and I see it in our own forums from time to time, people get so involved in such conflicts that they forget why we are here and what we’re trying to accomplish.

Now the UFO abduction front has been fairly quiet of late, meaning that I haven’t heard very much about new cases. Whether that indicates there are fewer experiences, or that those who have such encounters aren’t reporting them, I wouldn’t presume to guess.

It’s just clear to me that UFO research, in terms of progress, or finding new avenues of legitimate research, is largely at a standstill. We are still having the same debates and the theories mostly repeat the evidence that was evaluated long ago. The Paracast is probably guilty of this too, that we continue to focus on so-called “classic” cases, such as Roswell, and not so much about current events that are far easier to investigate, simply because memories are fresh and the witnesses are by and large still among the living.

But what about that Open Minds article? Well, it does provoke some level of discussion, without actually providing compelling evidence that abductions are more prevalent than has been previously suspected. It also raises one of those arguments that can never be proven, unless it can be shown that a large portion of those who have repeated close encounters with a UFO have hidden memories that something far more sinister occurred.

I just don’t think the evidence is there, but it never hurts to look over the cold cases for more evidence.

Copyright 1999-2014 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

The possible unsettling implications of UFO sightings | Openminds.tv

I think this is a diriculus proposition. .. Although I didn't get the impression that Mike was putting it forth, as much as he was putting it out there, much like Nick Redfern...before these guys start throwing out percentages first they have to decide what constitutes a ufo. If i see an anomalous light that defies an immediate explanation should I consider myself an abductee?

What about mass sightings and the reported waves in ufo flaps ? does that mean everyone involved in these sightings was abducted and the little grey buggers were making a "mass statement" instead of "individual statements" ? If only 50% of the people reporting a sighting were probable abductees which 50 % was left out ?

Last edited:
Not sure I read that article the same way you did Gene, seems Mike Clelland is looking for commonalities in the abduction field from the more noted researchers. For Mike, he had several experiences which he publicly shared and has been attempting to decipher. They were gaming changing events. Naturally, at least in my mind, he scans the field that directly correlates his experiences and looks for answers. It's alarming to see the consistent answers people are giving , both with hypnosis and without. His article doesn't state his own conclusion so much as putting out six other researchers conclusions. But he's right on his opening, these conclusions are rarely mentioned and heavily mocked by many on the various blogs out there. If there's nothing to abduction we'd get to that conclusion a hell of a lot faster if people in the field would just grow up and study the issue and open pandora's box a bit. Rich Hoffman was just being chastised on FB for collecting reports through MUFON on abductions. We're a stupid species. Instead of facing the issue and setting up a standard for study we throw rocks at the subject and spit at the messenger (that's not directed at you).

I am always concerned about the people undergoing these nightmarish experiences. We have people in the field who want to believe that ET is all about sweetness and light, but we've interviewed experiencers on the show, and it's anything but in most cases.

It's also important we figure out what is really going on, and not come up with outlandish theories. And if we disagree with a theory, not to become disagreeable in expressing one's opinion. We all know about that episode in which the critics were way out of line, since some of the posts about it appeared here, and they are still attacking me because I put a stop to it.

As much as I do keep an open mind on pretty much everything talked about here alien abductions is the one concept I've been somewhat hostile on.There is a few things about AA, and more so the experimentation/implantation part of it, that go against logic (well, my logic at any rate ) and mind you if there IS abductions going on there would be logic behind it. It goes without saying that there are people much much more qualified than this armchair observer...notice I didn't say researcher... in this field in a better position to make any judgements and i would never deny that it doesn't happen at all (like crop circles alls it takes is one occurance) but i would tend to think that the numbers skew in the other direction. I would say the general acceptance of the idea of increasing mental illnesses in society today play a larger role in this part of the field. Perhaps there is a correlation between that and the fact that the AA concept is a relatively recent phenomena is it not Gene ? It could be sort of like a meme. It isn't very helpful to people afflicted with mental illnesses to give the impression that this these occurances are underestimated and the prevalence is much higher.

Well, if you assume interactions with other beings may not involve actual alien visitors, it may go back a long, long time.

No not the interactions part, that I can grog but the seemingly hostile snatch and grab and harvesting thing. That seems fairly recent, in reviewing these cases whatever interactions are involved seem to mirror the mood of that era.

Admittedly in these reported interactions there would be hoaxes but if you go back to the earlier reports you have people being invited onto vessels and shown acts of genteel hospitality and asked questions about our earth. Over the centuries with our changing times these interactions have evolved to giving vague information of where they are from (with the disclaimer that they would like to say more but you are incapable of understanding ) to warnings about earth stewardship to outright hostility.

Sure you could argue with every succeeding generation of alien visitation they are taking it up a notch, but I would say with every succeeding generation of earthling WE are taking it up a notch.

I go for the second sentence in your first paragraph, about mirroring the mood of an era. Are the interactions different, or are we interpreting them in that way?

Um, I'm going to have to get back to you on that. I know where to find you.

But my knee jerk reply would be that our interpretation on these contacts are changing in accordance with what we expect, but I can see a flaw in my thinking ...just because our interpretation has changed doesn't necessarily reflect on the fact on how many times it may have occurred.

Last edited:
And remember that the vast majority of these interactions or abductions haven't been reported. We mostly focus on high-profile cases.

So I guess if it is a matter of us changing the scenario and not et changing the m.o. perhaps we should focus on getting society back to it's collective happy place circa 1880s ( Don't know how to go about that) because if the abduction phenomena does occur in greater numbers than what was generally accepted there's probably no reason to think it'll drop off anytime soon.

I don't think we have any idea how often these incidents occur. You can't base that on the percentage of reports thats are made public. I dare say this is probably an impossible search. It is fair to say that we don't seem to hear as much about newer cases, though. But I think there's plenty of incentive for experiencers to just shut up.

Not sure I read that article the same way you did Gene, seems Mike Clelland is looking for commonalities in the abduction field from the more noted researchers. For Mike, he had several experiences which he publicly shared and has been attempting to decipher. They were gaming changing events. Naturally, at least in my mind, he scans the field that directly correlates his experiences and looks for answers. It's alarming to see the consistent answers people are giving , both with hypnosis and without. His article doesn't state his own conclusion so much as putting out six other researchers conclusions. But he's right on his opening, these conclusions are rarely mentioned and heavily mocked by many on the various blogs out there. If there's nothing to abduction we'd get to that conclusion a hell of a lot faster if people in the field would just grow up and study the issue and open pandora's box a bit. Rich Hoffman was just being chastised on FB for collecting reports through MUFON on abductions. We're a stupid species. Instead of facing the issue and setting up a standard for study we throw rocks at the subject and spit at the messenger (that's not directed at you).
Good points all around. I would've liked Mike to flesh out this discussion more thoroughly and insert his own critical opinion instead of closing the article with a discussion on what the consensus of abduction "researchers" believe regarding the correlation between getting abducted and your proximity to an unconventional craft. What appears to be evident and consistent with so called abduction experts is that they have one specific idea to sell and that's about the reality of alien abduction. Their percentages for correlating witnessing a UFO and being abducted are ludicrous and baseless.

If you read between the lines and recognize that the closing reporter referenced who believes that perhaps only 5% of ufo witnesses have been abductees you know what's really being presented. Everyone else has a dog in the AP race and they have to sell the abduction phenomenon as highly common, so that their books and programs have merit. Beyond being distasteful I find that of all the people selling lies within the UFO circuit it is the abduction researcher making grandiose claims with no real proof that is the most reprehensible and dangerous to society in general. Their kind of self-promotional talk is what supports ideologies that fuel tragedies like the Heaven's Gate fiasco.

More critical scrutiny of this aspect of the UFO phenomenon is required.

Wasn't it Kathleen Marden whose doing a abduction survey where she keeps one or more questions as "the" indicator to possible truth vs. fiction findings?
I wouldn't read too much into Mike's article simply because he's so close to the subject. He's way deep into explore mode, which is worth noting for any researcher trying to get a grip on the subject. In my mind, some of the things that happen after a supposed abduction don't seem that odd. If you truly felt you had an other worldly experience , possibly multiple times, your going to start exploring what's going on (or maybe shut down on the subject completely). So I can't automatically dismiss someone like Whiteley Strieber after he wrote communion. There are aspects to what he's done since writing that book that seem all about money and that bugs me. But I also note he seems into ancient alien perspective, anti government posts, etc. The basic question is, what would you do if you thought you'd been abducted? I've noticed a few groups that have been set up for "abductee's" to gather. And like Gene stated, you'll never hear from others. But here's the catch, you have to believe we've been visited to even contemplate whether there's abductions going on. It would be just too bizarre otherwise. Since I do believe the ET theory it's really not a stretch for me to consider what their doing here and whether their making contact or not.

Although I'm ok with your take on W.Streiber because I'm not nessecarily sold on him either, something bugs me about all your posts , your name....and your "all caps" eagerness scattered across this site. You've come out of nowhere and strongly torn into subjects here as though your in the "know" of these issues. Can you have such convictions on each side of the aisle? I guess my point is this, we're not a bunch of kids chasing our favorite singer , like a groupie. What do I know of George Winfield? Nothing. I'll have to do some research and see whether he come's off reasonable. Granted my version of reasonable may not be yours, but dang....your all over the place. Popping quotes from here, there and god knows where. I'd ask who you are but that wouldn't be cool. Count me a suspicious as to your motivations at this site.

Popping quotes from here, there and god knows where.
Sorry, I don't pop quotes out of nowhere. I give references. ;)

I provided you with someone's information about what his wife thought and said. You can listen to it or not... Gene and Chris enjoyed George & want to invite him back... that's good enough for me to believe he passed their "smell test".

I will cut-back on my CAPS use -I'm not shouting, ever. I'm just a bit over expressive and excited, like Italian, and I've been lazy using CAPS to show it.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't pop quotes out of nowhere. I give references. ;)

I provided you with someone's information about what his wife thought and said. You can listen to it or not... Gene and Chris enjoyed George & want to invite him back... that's good enough for me to believe he passed their "smell test".

I will cut-back on my CAPS use -I'm not shouting, ever. I'm just a bit over expressive and excited, like Italian, and I've been lazy using CAPS to show it.
I'm not dismissing what you said about Strieber, like I said before, he's not to high on my list. I just don't fall over when people say things such as George Wingfield or Vallee. It's food for thought. Sometimes names get exposed in this field and that seals the deal. I'm lazy when it comes to W.S. Not only can I not access half his site unless I pay but he's gone astray from the original story. It's probably a no brainer when George Wingfield makes a statement on W.S. but when you google him he's being compared to Phil Klass. Personaly I think Klass was like a fart in the wind, attracting lazy debunkers who'd label everything Venus or mogul.

I'm not dismissing what you said about Strieber, [...]
It's supposed to be his wife that said that, and, btw, I can tell you something WS said himself on his Dreamland show... he told the person he was on-air with that he often suspected General Schwarzkopf (<--I might have the wrong General) that he had him drugged, abducted, and anal probed/raped. Seriously, WS said that for sure, and he said this might have been done because he was critical about something that related to the General... so he got payback.

This was a more recent interview in the last few years or less, so I think that is pretty amazing vs The Grey's doing it.

Weird.

Back