• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — April 13, 2014

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
April 13, 2014

The Paracast Presents a Special Listener Roundtable

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. Or use theDonate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. You can also send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris conduct a special listener roundtable, featuring three regular listeners of the show whom you might recognize from our forums. You'll hear from HoJack (Howard Jackson), Sentry (Curtis Collins) and Ufology (J. Randall Murphy). This will be a wide-ranging discussion about personal experiences, the impact of UFO abductions, the state of the field and a lot more.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: http://www.ourstrangeplanet.com

Curtis Collins’ Site: Blue Blurry Lines

J. Randall Murphy’s UFO Organization: Ufology Society International (USI) - Explore the UFO Phenomenon

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

Searching for Ultraterrestrials
By Gene Steinberg

As The Paracast reaches more and more new listeners, we receive more and more emails from people who only recently discovered the show. Some have gone the extra mile, downloading each and every episode dating back to February of 2006 when the show debuted. They even tell us they are busy listening to the entire catalog.

As you might expect, whenever controversial topics are on tap, not everyone likes what we do. Chris and I don’t just listen to claims and nod, “uh huh.” Instead, we will ask questions designed to draw out a guest. Some listeners think we go just a bit too far, and I know that, on a few occasions, I’ve had to stop a guest in mid-track when they fancied themselves members of the U.S. Congress with the right to filibuster. I expect to get a word in edgewise from time to time and not just play the role of fly on the wall. That’s especially true when the guest says something that appears more than a little questionable.

At other times, I don’t mind hanging back and allowing the stories to flow freely. Some guests are really good at telling stories about the strange and unknown. Sure, I suspect there are embellishments here and there, which is probably true for any skilled storyteller. But when I feel the basics are true, I allow them to have their say.

Of course, you can’t have it both ways. Some listeners object to being too forceful, just as others object if Chris and I aren’t forceful enough. We try to strike a balance, but if we routinely hit guests too hard, other guests, even with something important to contribute, might look for another show on which to express their points of view.

So the other day, we got a letter from a listener, or perhaps a former listener, who felt that we were too dogmatic about pushing our own viewpoints about, evidently, ultraterrestrials.

Ultraterrestrials?

Well, if you ever read any of the books written by the late paranormal UFO author John Keel, whose most famous work, “The Mothman Prophecies,” was fodder for a somewhat poorly-performing sci-fi film starring Richard Gere, you’ll see he used the word to describe the UFOnauts or occupants. To him, ultraterrestrials were entities that could assume whatever form they wanted.

Now I don’t presume to be able to recall every single episode out of the over 400 that have been recorded over the past eight years, but I do not recall devoting and excessively large number to Keel’s theories. What’s more, I do not recall saying that I necessarily believed in his theories, particularly the one about ultraterrestrials.

What Keel did do was to question the conventional wisdom about certain paranormal mysteries. Instead of accepting things at face value, something done far too often in these fields, he asked questions and described theories that, while not necessarily any more accurate, at least made you want to think about the possibilities. Poking holes into one’s cherished theories is often a good idea, especially in our offbeat corner of the world.

What I think the listener was getting at, however, was the fact that Chris and I do not necessarily accept the extraterritorial hypothesis for UFOs. Sure, it may very well be true that ET is here, maybe several races of ETs, but I wouldn’t presume to guess their motives regardless of origin. Sure, even if they do say from time to time that they are concerned about the environment, or our predilection for war, why believe them?

Because they are alien, or claim to be alien?

Why even assume that we are seeing them in their true form?

I thought of that when I made a remark on this weekend’s listener roundtable episode about whether what we see represents the real UFO phenomenon. One guest made a typically logical response about how our mind interprets the signals detected by your eyes. But what if the image is so alien that it is beyond our experience, so our mind fills in the details? What if we are being deliberately fed false images to misdirect us from the real event, whatever that is?

Can I prove it? Well, obviously if what we see doesn’t represent what’s really there, how do we identify the signal behind the noise? Sure, what if UFOs are indeed alien visitors from civilizations hundreds or thousands of years ahead of us? Don’t you think that altering their appearance, or the appearance of their craft, would be a trivial matter? Or maybe it’s all about our cultural conditioning, since the look of the UFO seems to evolve as we evolve.

All right, maybe our interpretation of what UFOs really are has become more accurate as our understanding of our universe has expanded. We accept the reality of spaceships because we have built our own, even though they are no doubt quite primitive in the scheme of things. But wait a minute! Perhaps I’m simply repeating my own argument about the cultural manipulation of the images we see when UFOs are present.

If there’s a UFO mystery 100 years from now, would the craft look the same, absent considerations of improvements in alien technology?

But that doesn’t mean they are ultraterrestrial, inter-dimensional, spiritual or holographic. UFOs might represent something that’s so foreign to our experience that we attempt to understand it in accordance with our knowledge of the universe. All right, I already said that too.

The long and short of it is that, when I suggest that people who investigate UFOs shouldn’t make too many assumptions, I am not saying that all the current theories are wrong. But until we have a final answer, and there’s no indication we are even close to finding one, we shouldn’t be lazy.

Theories need to be tested, insofar as testing is possible. The “what else can they be?” approach isn’t terribly helpful. We can’t demand that science take the subject seriously if we are just as ready to prejudge what the answers might be.

So much for ultraterrestrials.

Copyright 1999-2014 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back