• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Understanding the dogmatic skeptic - a first hand account from a former skeptic

EricTheRed

Paranormal Maven
What explains the gulf between skeptics and believers with regard to the UFO question? As a lifelong active skeptic who has fairly recently jumped the fence to some degree, I may or may not have some insight into the mindset and rhetoric of skepticism. I'm writing this to better equip those of us who think that there is some genuine mystery to the UFO question to engage in more effective dialogue with skeptics, whose numbers are on the increase.

First, let me way that I think the skeptic movement is largely a force for good, despite its glaring problems. We live in a culture in which poor thinking habits are the grim and depressing norm. The problem is so pervasive we're like the proverbial fish not knowing it lives in water. Organized skepticism, a somewhat new-ish cultural formation going back only 2-3 decades, was a development that had to happen. We'll have an exceedingly hard time adapting to changes if we can't reason, if we don't understand that evidence is important, if can't see our own biases.

Never before in American history have we seen a mass movement, however small, that has the correction of bad thinking and irrationality as its main agenda. I think it needs to be acknowledged that regardless of how effectively it is combating unreason (e.g. young earth creationism), or how well it functions as a para-educational institution that upgrades thinking in ways that our public institutions are not, or whether it's contributing solutions to the more immediate issues of the day, it's becoming less acceptable in many quarters to get away with stupidities that passed unnoticed not long ago. How much of this can be attributed to the growing skeptical infrastructure--a half dozen small nonprofits, city and state chapters, hundreds of campus chapters--is hard to say of course. Charlatans, fundamentalists, hoaxers, and cranks of all stripes can now very quickly find themselves in a rather harsh spotlight. My hat is off to the skeptics. (When this might translate into smarter politicians is anyone's guess.)

However, if you've been fighting in the skeptic trenches long enough and you start to turn skepticism back onto itself, onto the organizational structures, rhetoric, frameworks, assumptions and practices of the movement, the edifice might not look quite as sturdy as it may have before. I'll spare you my fuller critique of organized skepticism and instead focus on how it's likely failing its members and society with regard to the UFO enigma.

Since I've gone from being a scoffing skeptic to the view that we're dealing with a real mystery, and one that might best be explained by looking beyond human invention, I feel as though I can speak with some authority on the skeptic mindset. (Whether my comments are insightful, new or useful is up to the reader to decide.) I now understand the errors I believe I was making before I had a clearer understanding of this particular branch of the paranormal. If my mistakes are common within skepticism, and lately in exchanges with skeptics on the UFO question I'm getting confirmation (confirmation bias?) that they are, then I hope that advocates for treating the UFO issue with serious scientific interest will gain some insight into how to deal with dogmatic debunkers. So, here's are a few observations about how many skeptics go wrong with UFOs:

1) If you learn about the UFO phenomena is from Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer magazines, you've been misled. The primary way this happens is that if your exposure to the UFO field is only through these magazines, you can't possibly ever learn enough to make an informed judgment about the subject. These magazines cover a lot of ground, only a little of which is devoted to UFOs. And, if every UFO case you encounter in the pages of Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer is neatly wrapped up with a skeptical bow on top, it's quite easy to be programmed into a natural inductive assumption: If UFO cases A, B, C and D were easily debunked, then it will likely be the same for E, F, and G. And if we can count on that pattern of debunking, what's the point of wading into the silliness any further? "That's what the UFO field is," goes the assumption, "just a bunch of credulous people believing things credulous people believe. Next." You'll never learn about the detailed history of the field, its thousands of reports, its many enigmatic and high-strange cases, the high level people involved in investigations, the scientific interest at the margins, the curious history of UFOs in the US national security state, and more. In sum, skeptics fed on the mother's milk of Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer will have a poor diet of information.

2) This can create an in-group/out-group bias that can override strict rationality by categorizing believers as cognitively damaged goods, hoi polloi not ordained in the canons of high culture skepticism. Out-group individuals are members of the credulous herd who are essentially unreliable, regardless of appearances or credentials. If you're outside the walls of castle skeptic, you're seen as not sufficiently up to speed on how our perception, judgment and bias can screw us up. As a result the probability of anything you say might be accorded a lower status. You have extra hills to climb until you can prove that you're aware of what our culture has learned about the nuances of error. There's actually a lot of validity to the idea that we're not born good thinkers and that we really need to work hard at it to become better. In the same way I wouldn't want to hire for a classical guitar performance someone whose only exposure to music is the skin flute, you can't expect that everyone is at the same level with regard to their cognitive development. However, the mistake skeptics can make is in not acknowledging or seeing their bias against people who with equal intelligence and rational capacity might yet arrive at a different conclusion than that canonized in Club Skeptic.

3) Another bias of skepticism, understandable in a way, is to roll all paranormal and pseudo-science claims into the same joint to be smoked. Ghosts, young earth creationism, homeopathy, psychic predictions, UFOs--they are, according to this bias, all part of the same fabric of credulity and foolishness. While it's true that a relatively small and finite number of biases and fallacies underlie many false notions, that doesn't mean that they are all equally improbable. To the extent that we can look toward current theory for helping us make sense of or assign probabilities to various extraordinary claims, not all claims are created equal. For instance, there's no current theoretical basis in mainstream science for thinking psychic powers to be true at all. (That seems right to me, although I could be wrong.) However, with UFOs on the other hand there's no strict reason theoretically why UFOs couldn't be of ET origin. Evolution is a real process, it most certainly happens elsewhere in the universe, and there are huge numbers of life-capable planets. Great interstellar distances are an ace in the skeptics deck of cards, but they don't have a full hand of them. In sum, the skeptic can be biased in treating all paranormal claims as equally foolish, ungrounded in evidence, etc., ignoring how the large the variance might be in terms of theoretical possibility. This bias might manifest as unconsciously assigning an equivalence between, lets' say, monkeys flying on magic carpets and UFOs of ET origin. (--Is it partly because UFOs have been classified as "paranormal," with all that word's invidious associations in skeptic and scientific circles?)

4) Perhaps the trickiest bit of internalized programming that many skeptics have yet to deconstruct for themselves is the bias bound up with the skeptic catchphrase "extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence" in the context of UFOs. The bias arranges the chessboard into checkmate for the debunker even before the game has begun. There are two parts to this.

1. The bias automatically assigns a status of high improbability to the possibility of UFOs of non-human origin. The probability estimate the skeptic uses rests in part on current scientific understanding of the constraints of physics. We can't send a Saturn V to Alpha Centauri in any reasonable human timeframe. If there are ETs, reasons the skeptic, they'll be subject to the same physical constraints we are. The skeptic's bias in this instance is the bias of induction. That is, the skeptic over-relies on current scientific understanding, which is really all he/we can do rationally. But, how can we know that take to be true right now won't be overthrown in the future by a new discovery? The history of science is, of course, strewn with overthrown theories and paradigms. How can we be sure that our sense of what's possible vis-a-vis space travel won't be also? What happens when you add 500, 10,000, or a million years of technical advancement beyond our own? Might there be huge scientific discoveries awaiting us? So, the skeptic may be open to the charge of hasty generalization.

2. The other probability error rests on a hidden assumption--that UFOs of non-human origin are not here already. Naively speaking, it's a 50/50 chance--they are here or they aren't. But the skeptic begins with, and I suspect truly believes, the assumption that UFOs of non-human origin are not here. It's the skeptic a priori, his presupposition as to how the skeptic world works. In my experience this seems to be an unconscious bias, one that the skeptic covers over by saying "If there was evidence I would accept it." You have to be open minded even when in actuality you aren't. On this assumption a central error is born: Any unusual sighting ultimately has a mundane explanation. The skeptic is confident that if enough information were available every UFO case, no matter how high-strange, would find meet its skeptic Waterloo and be revealed to be misperception or a hoax, etc.

However, what if you assume UFOs of non-human origin are already here? Then, any new sighting might upon further analysis turn out to be a UFO of non-human origin. And suddenly the game of debunking isn't so easy.

Here's the tricky part. If you're a skeptic who utterly rejects the probability that UFOs of non-human origin are here, you're sort of stuck. Cases of dual eyewitness and radar tracking won't convince. Group witnessing and physical trace cases won't convince. Let me rephrase. Cases like these won't convince to the same degree of having a UFO of non-human origin in your scientific lab (nor should they-but...more on this in an sec.), but neither will they convince the skeptic that there's anything worth talking about or investigating necessarily. Strange UFO sightings can't possibly be anything more than human errors waiting for skeptical deconstruction. Once a skeptic has committed to this hidden probability commitment, you get the Phil Klasses and Michael Shermer's of skepticism, and all their mimicking camp followers.

If skeptics can be gotten to the equal probability perspective, at least here it's possible to argue for the seriousness of scientific investigation into UFOs. How to do this? Serious UFO investigators and advocates for investigation need to more often couch and qualify their statements in the language cautious scientists would use.

5) The "scientific evidence" trap is another mistake. In skeptic rhetoric, for something to constitute "scientific evidence" means a couple of things. It can be replicated. And it's empirical. Since we can't control UFOs, we can't replicate encounters in controlled settings to make sure what we saw was real, had x, y, z qualities, and so forth. The dogmatic skeptic might rule out any hypothesis of UFOs as having a non-human origin just on this basis. But this would be naive unscientific on its face. We may only see one gamma ray burst from a single source, for instance, but this doesn't mean we can't observe its characteristics.

"Empirical" in the context of UFOs and dogmatic skepticism is often used as a trump card. If an encounter with a UFO doesn't produce something that can be handed over to the physics lab at Harvard, then it can either be dismissed and/or chalked up to misidentification. Or, it's simply not of any scientific interest.

This naive empiricism leads to a reductio ad absurdum. Eyewitness accounts get downgraded to complete worthlessness, since--you guessed it--they aren't "empirical." However, this is where the thinking of the dogmatic skeptic ends. He fails to recognize that eyewitness testimony is also used at the very heart of even "bench science," where if reporting of results depends in any way on human involvement, either by witnessing events or taking measurements or recording results, the very same charge about the failings of eyewitness testimony may be leveled. This is why, of course, we try to duplicate results in science. But beyond this, the skeptic fails to understand that eyewitness testimony is not only a modality used in crime scenes or in cases of the paranormal. We continuously and unavoidably use eyewitness testimony almost every second of the waking day, whether confirming that what we're typing on our keyboard is actually showing up on our screens, or whether the money we believe was spent on groceries was actually spent, or whether when we say we have a cat living in our house we actually do. Eyewitness testimony is the trusted basis on which the world works, and it works in most cases.

This particular skeptic bias of "scientific evidence" brackets UFO testimony into a unique class of unreliability, treating testimony tacitly accepted in thousand different ways throughout life as magically suspect in the context of UFOs.

So, there you have it, my first take on what it looks like to have been a somewhat dogmatic UFO skeptic, only to find that perhaps there is something to this phenomenon after all. I'm as puzzled by it as anyone I've heard on The Paracast.

What explains the gulf between skeptics and believers with regard to the UFO question? As a lifelong active skeptic who has fairly recently jumped the fence to some degree, I may or may not have some insight into the mindset and rhetoric of skepticism. I'm writing this to better equip those of us who think that there is some genuine mystery to the UFO question to engage in more effective dialogue with skeptics, whose numbers are on the increase ...

... So, there you have it, my first take on what it looks like to have been a somewhat dogmatic UFO skeptic, only to find that perhaps there is something to this phenomenon after all. I'm as puzzled by it as anyone I've heard on The Paracast.

Interesting post. Thank you for sharing. I've had extensive debates with the skeptics over on the JREF forum. I use the same avatar and user name there, so if you look you should find plenty of posts. Based on that experience and other exposure to skeptics, I agree with the essentials of your evaluation. Constructive skepticism is valuable, but as I always say, it's not the only tool in our toolbox, and ideally it should act transparently as little more than a filter. This filter should tag incoming information with various levels of concern for its veracity, and when it pings on something, then the process of analysis, investigation, and critical thinking should take over.

When it comes to UFOs, the reason I signed up with the JREF was to network constructively with skeptics in the hopes that our combined efforts would help advance us toward the truth about alien visitation. However the amount of pain compared to the amount of gain was too costly to continue with regular participation over there. Perhaps you'll accept the same offer here instead and together we can build some bridges. I see you've been a member of the Paracast for just over a year, so I'm not sure how familiar you are with our discussions here, so instead of me guessing, and risking unnecessary repetition, perhaps you might suggest what direction we should take from here?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind feedback and for taking the time to read what was a first draft with several glaring typos and other issues.

ufology--Thanks for adding your thoughts and your gracious invitation to bridge building. Your experience with JREF doesn't surprise me, alas. The battle lines have been drawn apparently over at the house of the Amazing Randi. I'd be curious to hear any more thoughts you might have on your interactions over at JREF.

I'm also very curious to get your and everyone's take on where to go from here. Many of you no doubt have been looking into this topic longer than I have. In the meantime here are a couple of thoughts. Apologies for the length.

1. If it were at all conceivable that we could get organized skepticism to take this topic seriously, it'd be game over for the blackballing of ufology in scientific circles. The chances of this are dim, it seems to me.

If however one of the stars of skepticism were to venture into the void and suggest that it was time to put away the sneers and dismissiveness and take a serious look at the ufo topic, that could be huge. The only way I think this might happen would be for them to be exposed, somehow, to a case with multiple lines of evidence, and presented by a credible (in their eyes) researcher, preferably with serious credentials, and in such as manner as to banish all doubt that scientific due diligence was done. In other words, we need an ambassador. How would this information be communicated however? Even a spotless case study written up in proper academic journal format won't be able to cross the moat into getting published in a mainstream science journal. --At least this is my impression. But have all the options here been tried? What about a paper that is co-authored by 12 PhDs with sterling credentials?

Call all of the above the gatekeeper problem: The refusal by mainstream science and academia to treat an anomalous phenomenon of enduring relevance and ongoing occurrence with serious interest. How do we understand this exactly? There's the disinformation and dissuasion thesis--government officials and others disparaging the topic, witnesses, etc. There's the skeptic movement itself, which forgets that science is not just about getting one's rational house in order, but also consists of curiosity and open-mindedness to new theories and ideas. There's a psychological barrier. If I recall, Leslie Kean had a chapter on this in her book.

What I'm driving at is the following. We need to understand all the barriers that thwart mainstream interest in this topic. Just making the little list above of some of the main barriers to scientific acceptance doesn't mean I really understand them. We're dealing with a set of interlocking problems here in psychology, communication, language, ideology, sociology... I for one would like a much better detailed and nuanced understanding of these factors. I'd also like to be clearer on what exactly it is we're hoping to do. What does it mean to say that we want scientific acceptance of the UFO issue? Does that mean acceptance by a journal--let's say Nature--of one ufological paper? Does it mean that department chairs at universities won't write off faculty candidate if they express an academic interest in the subject?

There are many questions here about goal and process and understanding.

2. There's an obvious lingering credibility problem with this field. It was a huge barrier for me in taking anything in ufology seriously. I'm absolutely certain that this is a problem for others. How to fix this? Our paracast hosts have railed on all the cranks dragging this field down. Others like Richard Haines try to put much distance between themselves and the rest of ufology as possible--at least this is my impression of him. What can be done about the credibility problem?

I think there's one thing that needs to happen among all serious ufologists. There needs to be, in my humble opinion, a substantially greater degree of critical, scientific, skeptical and rational due diligence in the discourse about ufos. An example.

Take the chapter (it could be most of them) in Leslie Kean's book UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record, on Peruvian Air Force pilot Oscar Santa Maria Heurtas. (I understand Kean wasn't trying to write a scientific paper with each chapter, she was writing a book for a wide audience. Although I personally would have liked to see a more searching and critical tone to the book, I suspect it was a success overall in terms of expanding awareness and opening minds.) I was left with many questions after reading it. Was it possible that this pilot made the whole thing up? If other witnesses were there, why weren't they quoted? More to the point, why weren't they interrogated to reduce the impression--which is the question that will hang over this chapter for skeptics--that what was happening was a misidentification or....? Was there any track on radar (I forget if this was mentioned or not), and if so, where is the documentation now? Was it analyzed by others outside the base? Etc. Absent these and other questions the book skirts along the edge of the superficial 'gee wow' factor that can kill the interest of the serious minded, and that plagues so much paranormal discourse.

The elephant in the room is getting the right people and institutions to take this topic seriously--scientists, academics in general, government agencies, university department chairs, etc. That likely won't happen with a book like Kean's because it leaves too many questions unasked and unanswered. Any critical and skeptical reader might even be left turned off (!) by the book because it doesn't evidence the kind of rigorous inquiry that doubters would demand.

So, all I'm saying here is that we need a style or tone of discourse in ufo media that gets significantly closer to the rigor of scientific reason.

3. In light of the above, we might consider several "breakthrough books." For example:

a) The Case for the Scientific Study of UFOs: 10+ essays by academics and scientists on various topics. Why this is a subject fit for serious inquiry; the psychology of resistance to new ideas; investigative protocols for UFO research--history, current practice, and suggestions for the future; an appeal to academics just starting their careers; the history of serious investigations both official and private; personal accounts by scientists describing transitions from doubt to acceptance of the reality of a genuine scientific enigma; etc.

ufology--I'm running with your metaphor of a bridge here. We need bridges like this.

b) UFO Casebook Vol. 1 (and then 2, 3, etc.): There seems to me a need for volumes of case studies that are comprehensive and have complete documentation (or at least references thereto) and analysis. For many serious thinkers, this might be the only thing that could break through unconscious dogmatism and current paradigm-rationalizing bias.

c) UFOs debated: Skepticism and Belief in a Borderland of Science: Using 4-6 ufo cases, skeptics and those more open-minded tackle the same cases in the format of Person A, Person B, Person A2, Person B2. I.e., statement, rebuttal, reply to rebuttal, reply to the reply to rebuttal.

Purpose: First, it might show cracks in the armor of skepticism. It could demonstrate that even following the most rigorous analysis, some of these cases might readily escape any attempts to put them into a box of easy explanation.

d) Pilots on The Record About UFOs: I've had this thought after reading Kean's book that what would have a much stronger impact (on me or others) would be a book consisting of a very large, even an impractically large, collection of interviews with pilots about their ufo sightings. Imagine a 1000 page book with 80-100 interviews done with scientific rigor. The collective impact of this might be enough to break through to even more dogmatic skeptics, if they could be encouraged to read it in the first place.

e) UFOs Around the World: It was a revelation for me to realize that the debunking tone we're so accustomed to in the US isn't necessarily at work in other countries. What a startling thing to realize that this topic can be discussed openly in professional circles outside the US without negative consequences for participants--or, such is my impression. I can't help but think that a book that looked at the ufo topic from an international perspective might be an eye-opener for some skeptics. Topics might include the different intellectual climates and attitudes outside the US, or active and open government involvement, etc.

Anyway, those are some morning thoughts on the topic. I welcome any feedback.

"Pilots on the Record" I would like to see such a book/collection. Something like Ivan T Sandersons "invisible residents" where Captain's Log's were used to describe witnessed USO's.

Thanks for the kind feedback and for taking the time to read what was a first draft with several glaring typos and other issues ... ufology--Thanks for adding your thoughts and your gracious invitation to bridge building ... I welcome any feedback.

As a skeptic yourself, I'm sure you can appreciate that if we're going to continue with this inquiry, we're going to run into conflicting opinions, and how we handle those differences will be critical to making any progress. It won't be sufficient to simply "agree to disagree" as if all conflicting opinions or claims have equal weight. We'll need to be able to deliver and receive constructive criticism and recognize that progress requires concession to the positions that are better substantiated, at least until such time as that such positions give way to even better ones, regardless of their sources. For the sake of practicality, we'll also need to agree on some basic rules of engagement, the most important of which are that we keep our posts concise and on track. If you're OK with that then let's continue, and I'll apologize in advance to all those who have followed my posts in the past for more repetition of the essentials:

To begin, you seem to have some experience, so you're probably capable of staying afloat in this discussion, but it also seems like you've waded into this particular aspect of ufology from the shallow end of the pool. By that I mean that on the surface, your observations are good, and your suggestions seem reasonable enough, but there are also some serious problems associated with them. The first is that an emphasis on gaining academic acceptance of ufology via the scientific community, is a fundamentally flawed approach. Ufology is not a science and cannot be classed as a science because critical facets of the subject matter extend far beyond the boundaries of accepted scientific investigation, and therefore continued attempts to jam ufology into a scientific paradigm only invites further accusations of pseudoscience.

This is not to say that genuine science shouldn't be used when it is applicable; indeed it should. However ideally, it should be done by accredited and independent scientists at arms length from the subject matter. In this way, rather than competing with scientists for a share of their recognition, ufology would be employing scientific expertise in a manner that is acceptable to their community. This approach has a much better chance of fostering respect among scientists for ufology than trying to muscle in or politically weasel in on their territory for the sake of the cachet that goes along with rubbing elbows with scientists. I also would think that this approach has a better chance of enlisting a sympathetic scientific ambassador than trying to find a scientist to advocate the idea that ufology should itself be considered a science and/or UFOs are an established scientific fact.

So to sum up this post ( which is just a tad longer than intended ), I think the idea of an ambassador is an excellent strategy, but it needs to be built on a strong foundation, one that is defensible to skeptical attack, and I believe the outline above addresses and resolves a huge part of that problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. I'll dive right in.

You claim that ufology is not a science and can't be one. I'd like to get more clarity on what you mean by this.

One understanding is that as it currently stands there's no scientific discipline of ufology. This is of course true. There may be scientists employing rational methodologies of investigation, but there's no discipline per se.

A stronger claim that you appear to be making is that ufology couldn't be made into a science. Do you mean to say that it couldn't be turned into a discipline or legitimate channel of scientific inquiry with what that typically implies?: A peer-reviewed publishing platform, active study by scientists or others doing scientific work using empirical-rational methodologies, and theory to guide inquiry. It's not clear to me why, if this is your view, ufology couldn't be placed into a scientific framework. Cannot ufology be researched with a rational methodology?

You seem to doubt that it can be because its subject can depart "far beyond the boundaries of accepted scientific investigation." This strikes me a non sequitur. Science, by definition, is constantly probing into unknowns. The question then is what if those unknowns radically exceed current understanding? Does this somehow prevent scientific investigation? I'm not clear on how this could be the case. For instance, part of scientific method is theory--using overgeneralization, deduction, speculative hypothesis, model building, etc.--to explore, clarify, delimit, and open up further inquiry. How could this not be done with even phenomena far beyond current paradigms? We all live in the same universe and are subject to the same physical realities. There is thus in principle a basis for understanding even the highly unusual given enough time, effort an creativity. Am I missing your point here?

Another point you make is that studying ufos scientifically will invite the charge of pseudoscience. The entirety of the field already labors under that accusation. And it seems there's only one way to erase that label--actually applying exacting scientific research protocols to the subject matter. Any disinterested party should then be able to see that the charge of pseudoscience doesn't stem from method. We're then left with the question of how scientists assess the probability of the presence of a UFO of non-human origin. And as I suggested in my original post, this probability assessment is likely driven for skeptics not by a survey of the evidence field in ufology, but by cultural habit and presupposition. Why should we let fear of a label (and all that implies) prevent scientific research?

Regarding your last paragraph. I mostly agree. Any ambassador would be making a huge blunder by asserting that ufology is a scientific discipline right now for the simple fact that it isn't. (I don't mean to put words in your mouth using the word 'discipline.') And if that ambassador asserted flat-out that UFOs of an alleged non-human origin are factual, it would be a diplomatic blunder given the likely biases and assumptions of most scientists and skeptics.

Ok, your turn.

Thank you for your comments. I'll dive right in. You claim that ufology is not a science and can't be one. I'd like to get more clarity on what you mean by this.
See this post: https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/ufology-pseudoscience.8663/
You seem to doubt that it can be because its subject can depart "far beyond the boundaries of accepted scientific investigation." This strikes me a non sequitur. Science, by definition, is constantly probing into unknowns. The question then is what if those unknowns radically exceed current understanding?
The post and thread above deal with these issues. Also see this page: http://ufopages.com/Content/Reference/Ufology-01a.htm

It's not that science is ill equipped to probe many unknown problems, its that, as the links above point out, critical facets of ufology such as its history and culture fall outside the purview of scientific discipline. However at the same time, these areas of study still have academic acceptance. So essentially what I'm saying ( apart from what has already been said in the links above ), is that academic acceptance and scientific respect are more suitable than the goal of getting the scientific community to accept ufology as a scientific field.
Does this somehow prevent scientific investigation?
Not at all. But when science is being done, it should be a scientist ( astronomer, physicist, geologist, etc. ) who handles the scientific part of the investigation, preferably at arm's length from the ufology. Ufology should then focus on the responsible journalistic reporting of the process and it's findings. This doesn't prevent ufologists who also happen to be scientists from being involved with ufology and using their knowledge when applicable, because that would only increase the chances that any serious independent scientific analysis will be successful.
I'm not clear on how this could be the case. For instance, part of scientific method is theory--using overgeneralization, deduction, speculative hypothesis, model building, etc.--to explore, clarify, delimit, and open up further inquiry. How could this not be done with even phenomena far beyond current paradigms? We all live in the same universe and are subject to the same physical realities. There is thus in principle a basis for understanding even the highly unusual given enough time, effort an creativity. Am I missing your point here?
We can use all those principles above to create great science fiction too. Hard science however has a strict model backed by a scientific community, and as soon as a ufologist steps into that sandbox, one false step and it's a wasted effort. So it's better to simply locate the evidence and hand the scene ( so to speak ) over to them. Again, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't be scientifically minded during investigation; only that ideally, if we should be lucky enough to locate what we believe to be substantial evidence that a scientist can work with, then we should leave the actual science to actual independent scientists. The ufologist can still lay claim to the discovery, while the scientist can become famous for their part in doing the science that proves the discovery is genuine. It's a win-win situation.
Another point you make is that studying ufos scientifically will invite the charge of pseudoscience. The entirety of the field already labors under that accusation. And it seems there's only one way to erase that label--actually applying exacting scientific research protocols to the subject matter.
There's another way ( as described above ), and although somewhat counterintuitive to the obvious but inappropriate solution of attempting to jam ufology into a scientific mould, it has distinct advantages. The links above explain it in some detail. But in case you haven't read them yet, in a nutshell, by definition, something can only be branded pseudoscience if it first claims to be a science, and then fails to meet accepted scientific standards. By making it clear that ufologists aren't claiming that ufology is a science, then it doesn't conform to the definition of pseudoscience. You will find when you look, that most ufologists seem to be of this persuasion, and it is the skeptic who simply paints the subject with the pseudoscience brush in order to provoke a defensive reaction, which most ufologists don't know how to handle, mainly because they haven't thought it through to this extent.
Any disinterested party should then be able to see that the charge of pseudoscience doesn't stem from method. We're then left with the question of how scientists assess the probability of the presence of a UFO of non-human origin. And as I suggested in my original post, this probability assessment is likely driven for skeptics not by a survey of the evidence field in ufology, but by cultural habit and presupposition. Why should we let fear of a label (and all that implies) prevent scientific research?
Agreed; and I think that the strategy above goes a long way to providing a realistic and defensible solution to that problem.
Regarding your last paragraph. I mostly agree. Any ambassador would be making a huge blunder by asserting that ufology is a scientific discipline right now for the simple fact that it isn't. (I don't mean to put words in your mouth using the word 'discipline.') And if that ambassador asserted flat-out that UFOs of an alleged non-human origin are factual, it would be a diplomatic blunder given the likely biases and assumptions of most scientists and skeptics.

Ok, your turn.
Thank you, and so glad to be having a civil discussion on this. So to sum up this point, by taking the approach I've suggested, no scientist or skeptic has sufficient reason to honestly claim that ufology is a pseudoscience, and therefore they have a legitimate defense against anyone who claims they are supporting pseudoscience by being an advocate of the field. This should count as a plus for any potential candidate who might consider our proposal.

Last edited:
If I understand what I've read in ufology correctly, we've had some serious attempts already to capture evidence on cases. Mufon is one organization that has employed science such as plant samples, soil samples, wide ranging testimony, video experts, radar experts, etc. Also if I remember right Donald Keyhoe with NICAP?... used scientists and other field experts to examine cases. In fact I've been listening to his interviews on the Wendy O'Conner archives and he has to be the best speaker I've heard so far in this field that clearly seeks an audience to examine his organizations work. But......what I'm gathering so far, new myself, is that everyone keeps circling back to the government as the ultimate decider in whether this field is legit or not. And that seems to be the stumbling block. People like Robert Bigelow, coming at this subject with lots of money, kept whatever he found secret. Part of me believes that so long as we seek an audience with the government we will remain in knots going nowhere but if we say to hell with them , lets keep going at this with various groups until we find ways to make the crack a fissure, we'll actually get somewhere. An example would be to come up with types of video recordings that break through the vague footage we currently get now. Also examine these so called waves that happen over certain areas and try to get teams that already exist the funding to get out there and record it, maybe even canvass small areas of neighborhoods to see if anyone else saw it. I'm thinking that we have to get innovative and try to come up with methods ourselves.
What's been done already?
1. Send out a team that investigates the sighting, get's testimony from all possible avenues.
2. Soil samples where it's said a craft lands or hovers.
3. Plant samples.
4. Video footage.
5. Radar
6. Detective work like Frank Fuschino, that connects pilot sightings, crashes or interference with pilot planes with UFO sightings, using timeline and geography.
7. Sheer bulk testimony, Donald Keyhoe, Blue Book, Mufon, Richard Dolan, etc.

What more can be done? These are vague ideas that you have to expand before dismissing.....
1.Continue collecting abduction reports, get the most organized database going to examine the data.
2.Infered video?
3. Connecting from a grass roots level everyone's data to form a more concise history?
4.Call town hall meetings after reports of waves of sightings in an area.
5. Camera's left in locations for long term footage, live footage. (Would more footage tell us anything?)
6.Detection of radiation, or what else that might leave a trace behind?
7. Use of animals to detect what we can't sense or see.
8. Why does lasar keep coming to mind, shoot the bastards down!!!! Can laser be used to expose an object that video would not?
9. Pester Universities with compiled data to conduct studies.
10. Reach out to world governments, one by one to collect anything they have. This may have happened already?
11. Send out false flags to the government that we've captured something and see if they come running?(Sorry, my brain froze up)

"We can use all those principles above to create great science fiction too. Hard science however has a strict model backed by a scientific community, and as soon as a ufologist steps into that sandbox, one false step and it's a wasted effort. So it's better to simply locate the evidence and hand the scene ( so to speak ) over to them. Again, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't be scientifically minded during investigation; only that ideally, if we should be lucky enough to locate what we believe to be substantial evidence that a scientist can work with, then we should leave the actual science to actual independent scientists. The ufologist can still lay claim to the discovery, while the scientist can become famous for their part in doing the science that proves the discovery is genuine. It's a win-win situation."

I agree that as a community we can only go so far but I still wonder if we've stretched our minds enough on ways to actually capture the evidence. An example that comes to mind....I used to watch Ghost Hunters a lot....at one point they added Barry? to the team of the international version of the show. He kept bringing new devices on the show to test on ways to capture and record the phenomena. They used a "light" net set before a video camera that would supposedly capture an image passing through it, they used flash lights as a means to communicate and I think, an audio device that was new, cutting edge type of stuff. Forget whatever the opinion of the show and it's legitimacy, but think of the innovation that was attempted. We have some sharp minds around these halls, wonder what you guys could think of that has not been tried? Has anyone worked with sound? Common reports claim to have no sound but what if there is and we can't hear it?

First, thanks for pointing out ufopages.com. I was unaware of it, and now I have another resource to add to my links. Thank you.

Second, I think I'm getting clear on where we might have been speaking past each other to a certain extent.

To be clear, I'm assuming we're both in agreement that progress in understanding UFOs will be best when handled by those with sufficient scientific training. (To be clear, you don't need to be a scientist to do science, but you might have a harder time getting access to equipment and funding, as well as getting published.) And, to maximize the chances of UFOs being understood in our lifetimes (!) it would be ideal if the most prestigious scientists were doing the research. Not that I expect that to happen, mind you. I like your comment about the role of the informal non-scientist community in ufology.

I wasn't clear before on your reluctance to consider that there could be such a thing as ufological science. To my understanding what you're saying is that since historical methods have been used in the UFO field (as an example), UFO research can't be seen as a science. Perhaps I'm missing a point, but if your scheme were true then no scientific discipline would qualify as a science either since every scientific discipline also has its history writers and biographers.

I don't want to sell you short--you also mentioned religion and mythology. UFOs can also be studied with constructs and frameworks within, let's say, comparative religion. But this doesn't prevent the phenomenon itself from being addressed separately by the physical sciences, does it?

The pseudoscience question: If we're doing science on UFOs (and there is very little taking place from I can tell, if any), then not calling it science might (or might not) help to avoid the label of pseudoscience. But then it will certainly not help in establishing a science of ufology either. Skepticism is not monolithic. The desire to know the truth will eventually win out, I trust, over skepticism's attempts to deter and silence legitimate investigation. Further, if we flee from the label of science, aren't we giving ammo to critics who can then say, "See, even they don't think that they're doing anything worthy of science. Let's ignore it." What do you think?

Also, I'd like you to clarify a statement you made here: Ufology & Pseudoscience | The Paracast Community Forums

"Certainly science can take place within the field, but that still doesn't make ufology a science unto itself. It just means that physics or astronomy or biology or whatever genuine science is being used, is a tool to help better understand some particular facet of this most facinating subject."

Your statement seems to hinge on the phrase "a science unto itself." What do you mean by this? UFOs can still be studied scientifically. Science can even treat the phenomenon as its own field of study. That that field might be multidisciplinary doesn't make it any less of a science. If it did, then we'd have to dismiss a lot of mainstream science because it too uses multidisciplinary approaches - geology or psychology for instance.

I look forward to your comments.

... Sorry, my brain froze up

I love your enthusiasm :) . I also agree that too much emphasis has been on ufology trying to gain the acceptance of the institutions ( scientific and political ) rather than standing on it's own two feet. Regarding MUFON, I think it's compromising the field with it's banner "The Scientific Study of UFOs for the Benefit of Humanity". It's red flag waving at skeptics and scientists begging them to label them all pseudoscientists. Their only defense is to claim that the banner is merely to show their support in the spirit of the scientific process, but they refuse to respond to my requests for comment, and when the Director was on the Paracast show, my question to him on this issue was passed over ( not impressed about that ). In contrast, USI ( my group ) recognizes the value of science but makes no pretentious claims.

First, thanks for pointing out ufopages.com. I was unaware of it, and now I have another resource to add to my links. Thank you.
You're welcome, and if you should feel like contributing articles for the website, please let me know.
Second, I think I'm getting clear on where we might have been speaking past each other to a certain extent.
Exactly, and I was expecting that to happen, but you recognizing it so quickly is encouraging.
To be clear, I'm assuming we're both in agreement that progress in understanding UFOs will be best when handled by those with sufficient scientific training. (To be clear, you don't need to be a scientist to do science, but you might have a harder time getting access to equipment and funding, as well as getting published.) And, to maximize the chances of UFOs being understood in our lifetimes (!) it would be ideal if the most prestigious scientists were doing the research. Not that I expect that to happen, mind you. I like your comment about the role of the informal non-scientist community in ufology.
Actually, sort of, but not necessarily. Scientific credentials don't necessarily make one better equipped to study and evaluate the UFO phenomenon. In fact brilliant scientists ( like Edward Condon ) have done more damage to ufology than most of the tin-foil hat wearers combined. I've also seen well informed ufologists with no scientific credentials do a better job of discussing the issues than any scientist without a ufology background. So what I'm saying is that well informed ufologists ( who may or may not also be scientists ), should be the ones to lay down the foundations for ufology as a field of interest and study ( not as a science ), and when real science can to be done, then have real scientists apply their professional expertise to the evidence.
I wasn't clear before on your reluctance to consider that there could be such a thing as ufological science. To my understanding what you're saying is that since historical methods have been used in the UFO field (as an example), UFO research can't be seen as a science. Perhaps I'm missing a point, but if your scheme were true then no scientific discipline would qualify as a science either since every scientific discipline also has its history writers and biographers.
Good point. As I said at the outset, we were coming at this from the shallow end of the pool, so I was anticipating ( and hoping ) you would bring these issues up, thus providing an opportunity to elaborate. The wide spectrum of subject matter covered by ufology is only one factor that sets it apart from hard science, but let's consider it in some further detail. The vast majority of work published within the bounds of ufology consists of non-scientific collections of stories, documentaries, cultural works, and unscientific ( but interesting ) theories based on mythology and/or pop-science.

On the other hand, hard science is based largely on hard evidence for which the scientific method can be readily applied. So the fact that hard science also has a historical and social facet becomes secondary. The Geologist has a ready supply of rocks to slice and perform experiments on that fall completely within the bounds of the scientific method. The astronomer has a sky full of stars and other objects to train their telescopes on night after night after night. Contrast that with ufology, the evidence for which is some sort of elusive and transient phenomena accounted for in reports substantiated largely by questionable evidence. Last but not least there is no foundation for "scientific ufology" that is accepted by the scientific establishment, therefore it's simply a fact that ufology is not a science and the work it produces isn't recognized as science.

So the next question is: "Should ufology be considered a science?" The answer is, "No." and the reason ( in addition to the above ) is that apart from its status now, the very nature of the subject matter doesn't lend itself to the scientific method, and this gets us into the subject of how the words "UFO" and "ufology" are defined. There has been a lot of debate on this issue and for some background I once again refer you to the links in my initial response. To put the problem in a nutshell: The word UFO is used to convey the idea of an alien craft, and ufology is the array of subject matter and activities associated with an interest in UFOs. So how do we apply the scientific method to the full array of subject matter and activities that makeup the total of ufology as a field? We can't.

None of the above prevents science from being done within the field as a whole, but the fact is that the field as a whole is defined not by the science that is done within it, but by the experience of the phenomena itself, which is of some sort of alien craft coming into our range of perception and/or detection. The "scientific study of UFOs" is like saying, "The scientific study of the Lunar Lander", and those studying it should be called Lunar Landerists, and they should have a science all their own, but in the case of ufology, we don't even have any "Lunar Lander" to study. At best the scientific study of UFOs is a pursuit, and if sufficient evidence should be secured that real science can be applied to, then it won't be ufologists we need, but specialists like spectrographic analysts, engineers, physicists, chemists, and so on; people who are real scientists, and preferably at arms length from ufology to eliminate bias.

I don't want to sell you short--you also mentioned religion and mythology. UFOs can also be studied with constructs and frameworks within, let's say, comparative religion. But this doesn't prevent the phenomenon itself from being addressed separately by the physical sciences, does it?
Right. However as I attempted to illustrate above, such science would take place within the broader scope of ufology and be performed by scientists within their respective fields of expertise, preferably at arms length from the influence of ufology organizations and politics. This could be difficult since such scientists might be employed by ufologists to handle the studies, but they should be as independent as possible. The resulting scientific reports would then be filed in our ufology library under Ufology Studies ( as opposed to cultural activities ), then under the sub-headings of Investigation > Case Studies > Evidence > Scientific Evidence.
The pseudoscience question: If we're doing science on UFOs (and there is very little taking place from I can tell, if any), then not calling it science might (or might not) help to avoid the label of pseudoscience. But then it will certainly not help in establishing a science of ufology either. Skepticism is not monolithic. The desire to know the truth will eventually win out, I trust, over skepticism's attempts to deter and silence legitimate investigation. Further, if we flee from the label of science, aren't we giving ammo to critics who can then say, "See, even they don't think that they're doing anything worthy of science. Let's ignore it." What do you think?
There will always be detractors who make unfounded proclamations for the purpose of marginalizing their target of choice. The question is how defensible is our position compared to theirs, and the position that ufology isn't a science and shouldn't be considered a science unto itself is highly defensible. It basically takes the wind out of any pseudoscience argument leveled by skeptics, because in essence we're agreeing with their position. However being too broad a field to be jammed into a scientific paradigm doesn't necessarily make it unworthy of academic pursuit, and by working with real scientists when possible rather than trying to compete with them for a share of their spotlight, I think we'll actually earn more respect from them.
Also, I'd like you to clarify a statement you made here: Ufology & Pseudoscience | The Paracast Community Forums

"Certainly science can take place within the field, but that still doesn't make ufology a science unto itself. It just means that physics or astronomy or biology or whatever genuine science is being used, is a tool to help better understand some particular facet of this most fascinating subject."
What I was getting at in the quoted sentence above should be coming into focus now, but if not, please identify what part in particular you find unclear.
Your statement seems to hinge on the phrase "a science unto itself." What do you mean by this? UFOs can still be studied scientifically. Science can even treat the phenomenon as its own field of study. That that field might be multidisciplinary doesn't make it any less of a science. If it did, then we'd have to dismiss a lot of mainstream science because it too uses multidisciplinary approaches - geology or psychology for instance.
The difference between hard science and ufology is outlined fairly well enough above; but to make it even more clear, what we're looking at is a balance of scales where science on one side is backed by the weight of verifiable scientifically valid empirical evidence upon which the scientific method can be applied, and ufology on the other which lacks an appreciable amount of such evidence, but includes the weight of so-called "soft science" ( history, culture, journalism etc. ).

To go a step further, we could even take the spirit of your argument and say OK then, if the only criteria for labeling something a science is that it can be studied scientifically, then practically anything could be called some sort of science. We could have the science of Children's Crayolaology, Spaghetti Twirlology, Stupid Pet Trickology, and while we might even be able to create some sort of defensible argument for those things ( I don't know what ), for the reasons already stated, I prefer the approach of employing credible scientists who are already accepted by the scientific community to handle the scientific analysis of evidence at arms length, and I suggest that in a side by side comparison of such studies, the study by independent accredited and recognized scientists is generally going to be considered more convincing than one done by self-proclaimed UFO scientists operating under a pseudoscientific banner of ufology.

Last edited:
What explains the gulf between skeptics and believers with regard to the UFO question? As a lifelong active skeptic who has fairly recently jumped the fence to some degree, I may or may not have some insight into the mindset and rhetoric of skepticism. I'm writing this to better equip those of us who think that there is some genuine mystery to the UFO question to engage in more effective dialogue with skeptics, whose numbers are on the increase.

First, let me way that I think the skeptic movement is largely a force for good, despite its glaring problems. We live in a culture in which poor thinking habits are the grim and depressing norm. The problem is so pervasive we're like the proverbial fish not knowing it lives in water. Organized skepticism, a somewhat new-ish cultural formation going back only 2-3 decades, was a development that had to happen. We'll have an exceedingly hard time adapting to changes if we can't reason, if we don't understand that evidence is important, if can't see our own biases.

Never before in American history have we seen a mass movement, however small, that has the correction of bad thinking and irrationality as its main agenda. I think it needs to be acknowledged that regardless of how effectively it is combating unreason (e.g. young earth creationism), or how well it functions as a para-educational institution that upgrades thinking in ways that our public institutions are not, or whether it's contributing solutions to the more immediate issues of the day, it's becoming less acceptable in many quarters to get away with stupidities that passed unnoticed not long ago. How much of this can be attributed to the growing skeptical infrastructure--a half dozen small nonprofits, city and state chapters, hundreds of campus chapters--is hard to say of course. Charlatans, fundamentalists, hoaxers, and cranks of all stripes can now very quickly find themselves in a rather harsh spotlight. My hat is off to the skeptics. (When this might translate into smarter politicians is anyone's guess.)

However, if you've been fighting in the skeptic trenches long enough and you start to turn skepticism back onto itself, onto the organizational structures, rhetoric, frameworks, assumptions and practices of the movement, the edifice might not look quite as sturdy as it may have before. I'll spare you my fuller critique of organized skepticism and instead focus on how it's likely failing its members and society with regard to the UFO enigma.

Since I've gone from being a scoffing skeptic to the view that we're dealing with a real mystery, and one that might best be explained by looking beyond human invention, I feel as though I can speak with some authority on the skeptic mindset. (Whether my comments are insightful, new or useful is up to the reader to decide.) I now understand the errors I believe I was making before I had a clearer understanding of this particular branch of the paranormal. If my mistakes are common within skepticism, and lately in exchanges with skeptics on the UFO question I'm getting confirmation (confirmation bias?) that they are, then I hope that advocates for treating the UFO issue with serious scientific interest will gain some insight into how to deal with dogmatic debunkers. So, here's are a few observations about how many skeptics go wrong with UFOs:

1) If you learn about the UFO phenomena is from Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer magazines, you've been misled. The primary way this happens is that if your exposure to the UFO field is only through these magazines, you can't possibly ever learn enough to make an informed judgment about the subject. These magazines cover a lot of ground, only a little of which is devoted to UFOs. And, if every UFO case you encounter in the pages of Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer is neatly wrapped up with a skeptical bow on top, it's quite easy to be programmed into a natural inductive assumption: If UFO cases A, B, C and D were easily debunked, then it will likely be the same for E, F, and G. And if we can count on that pattern of debunking, what's the point of wading into the silliness any further? "That's what the UFO field is," goes the assumption, "just a bunch of credulous people believing things credulous people believe. Next." You'll never learn about the detailed history of the field, its thousands of reports, its many enigmatic and high-strange cases, the high level people involved in investigations, the scientific interest at the margins, the curious history of UFOs in the US national security state, and more. In sum, skeptics fed on the mother's milk of Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer will have a poor diet of information.

2) This can create an in-group/out-group bias that can override strict rationality by categorizing believers as cognitively damaged goods, hoi polloi not ordained in the canons of high culture skepticism. Out-group individuals are members of the credulous herd who are essentially unreliable, regardless of appearances or credentials. If you're outside the walls of castle skeptic, you're seen as not sufficiently up to speed on how our perception, judgment and bias can screw us up. As a result the probability of anything you say might be accorded a lower status. You have extra hills to climb until you can prove that you're aware of what our culture has learned about the nuances of error. There's actually a lot of validity to the idea that we're not born good thinkers and that we really need to work hard at it to become better. In the same way I wouldn't want to hire for a classical guitar performance someone whose only exposure to music is the skin flute, you can't expect that everyone is at the same level with regard to their cognitive development. However, the mistake skeptics can make is in not acknowledging or seeing their bias against people who with equal intelligence and rational capacity might yet arrive at a different conclusion than that canonized in Club Skeptic.

3) Another bias of skepticism, understandable in a way, is to roll all paranormal and pseudo-science claims into the same joint to be smoked. Ghosts, young earth creationism, homeopathy, psychic predictions, UFOs--they are, according to this bias, all part of the same fabric of credulity and foolishness. While it's true that a relatively small and finite number of biases and fallacies underlie many false notions, that doesn't mean that they are all equally improbable. To the extent that we can look toward current theory for helping us make sense of or assign probabilities to various extraordinary claims, not all claims are created equal. For instance, there's no current theoretical basis in mainstream science for thinking psychic powers to be true at all. (That seems right to me, although I could be wrong.) However, with UFOs on the other hand there's no strict reason theoretically why UFOs couldn't be of ET origin. Evolution is a real process, it most certainly happens elsewhere in the universe, and there are huge numbers of life-capable planets. Great interstellar distances are an ace in the skeptics deck of cards, but they don't have a full hand of them. In sum, the skeptic can be biased in treating all paranormal claims as equally foolish, ungrounded in evidence, etc., ignoring how the large the variance might be in terms of theoretical possibility. This bias might manifest as unconsciously assigning an equivalence between, lets' say, monkeys flying on magic carpets and UFOs of ET origin. (--Is it partly because UFOs have been classified as "paranormal," with all that word's invidious associations in skeptic and scientific circles?)

4) Perhaps the trickiest bit of internalized programming that many skeptics have yet to deconstruct for themselves is the bias bound up with the skeptic catchphrase "extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence" in the context of UFOs. The bias arranges the chessboard into checkmate for the debunker even before the game has begun. There are two parts to this.

1. The bias automatically assigns a status of high improbability to the possibility of UFOs of non-human origin. The probability estimate the skeptic uses rests in part on current scientific understanding of the constraints of physics. We can't send a Saturn V to Alpha Centauri in any reasonable human timeframe. If there are ETs, reasons the skeptic, they'll be subject to the same physical constraints we are. The skeptic's bias in this instance is the bias of induction. That is, the skeptic over-relies on current scientific understanding, which is really all he/we can do rationally. But, how can we know that take to be true right now won't be overthrown in the future by a new discovery? The history of science is, of course, strewn with overthrown theories and paradigms. How can we be sure that our sense of what's possible vis-a-vis space travel won't be also? What happens when you add 500, 10,000, or a million years of technical advancement beyond our own? Might there be huge scientific discoveries awaiting us? So, the skeptic may be open to the charge of hasty generalization.

2. The other probability error rests on a hidden assumption--that UFOs of non-human origin are not here already. Naively speaking, it's a 50/50 chance--they are here or they aren't. But the skeptic begins with, and I suspect truly believes, the assumption that UFOs of non-human origin are not here. It's the skeptic a priori, his presupposition as to how the skeptic world works. In my experience this seems to be an unconscious bias, one that the skeptic covers over by saying "If there was evidence I would accept it." You have to be open minded even when in actuality you aren't. On this assumption a central error is born: Any unusual sighting ultimately has a mundane explanation. The skeptic is confident that if enough information were available every UFO case, no matter how high-strange, would find meet its skeptic Waterloo and be revealed to be misperception or a hoax, etc.

However, what if you assume UFOs of non-human origin are already here? Then, any new sighting might upon further analysis turn out to be a UFO of non-human origin. And suddenly the game of debunking isn't so easy.

Here's the tricky part. If you're a skeptic who utterly rejects the probability that UFOs of non-human origin are here, you're sort of stuck. Cases of dual eyewitness and radar tracking won't convince. Group witnessing and physical trace cases won't convince. Let me rephrase. Cases like these won't convince to the same degree of having a UFO of non-human origin in your scientific lab (nor should they-but...more on this in an sec.), but neither will they convince the skeptic that there's anything worth talking about or investigating necessarily. Strange UFO sightings can't possibly be anything more than human errors waiting for skeptical deconstruction. Once a skeptic has committed to this hidden probability commitment, you get the Phil Klasses and Michael Shermer's of skepticism, and all their mimicking camp followers.

If skeptics can be gotten to the equal probability perspective, at least here it's possible to argue for the seriousness of scientific investigation into UFOs. How to do this? Serious UFO investigators and advocates for investigation need to more often couch and qualify their statements in the language cautious scientists would use.

5) The "scientific evidence" trap is another mistake. In skeptic rhetoric, for something to constitute "scientific evidence" means a couple of things. It can be replicated. And it's empirical. Since we can't control UFOs, we can't replicate encounters in controlled settings to make sure what we saw was real, had x, y, z qualities, and so forth. The dogmatic skeptic might rule out any hypothesis of UFOs as having a non-human origin just on this basis. But this would be naive unscientific on its face. We may only see one gamma ray burst from a single source, for instance, but this doesn't mean we can't observe its characteristics.

"Empirical" in the context of UFOs and dogmatic skepticism is often used as a trump card. If an encounter with a UFO doesn't produce something that can be handed over to the physics lab at Harvard, then it can either be dismissed and/or chalked up to misidentification. Or, it's simply not of any scientific interest.

This naive empiricism leads to a reductio ad absurdum. Eyewitness accounts get downgraded to complete worthlessness, since--you guessed it--they aren't "empirical." However, this is where the thinking of the dogmatic skeptic ends. He fails to recognize that eyewitness testimony is also used at the very heart of even "bench science," where if reporting of results depends in any way on human involvement, either by witnessing events or taking measurements or recording results, the very same charge about the failings of eyewitness testimony may be leveled. This is why, of course, we try to duplicate results in science. But beyond this, the skeptic fails to understand that eyewitness testimony is not only a modality used in crime scenes or in cases of the paranormal. We continuously and unavoidably use eyewitness testimony almost every second of the waking day, whether confirming that what we're typing on our keyboard is actually showing up on our screens, or whether the money we believe was spent on groceries was actually spent, or whether when we say we have a cat living in our house we actually do. Eyewitness testimony is the trusted basis on which the world works, and it works in most cases.

This particular skeptic bias of "scientific evidence" brackets UFO testimony into a unique class of unreliability, treating testimony tacitly accepted in thousand different ways throughout life as magically suspect in the context of UFOs.

So, there you have it, my first take on what it looks like to have been a somewhat dogmatic UFO skeptic, only to find that perhaps there is something to this phenomenon after all. I'm as puzzled by it as anyone I've heard on The Paracast.

only 8 posts under his belt and he's already Paracast material, looking forward to hearing you on the show ErictheRed

Hey this is the best thread I've read in a while!
Excellent information.
Calm rational discussion.
No personal attacks or name calling.

PLEASE keep it up guys!

First, let me give my appreciation for the thought and work that's you've put into this. Once things are hashed out a bit, I'd like to see this widely circulated. There's one thing at the moment though, that I think needs another look.

3) Another bias of skepticism, understandable in a way, is to roll all paranormal and pseudo-science claims into the same joint to be smoked. Ghosts, young earth creationism, homeopathy, psychic predictions, UFOs--they are, according to this bias, all part of the same fabric of credulity and foolishness.
They are not unjustified in considering them together, because it is our fault for having shoved them in the same basket to begin with. Some UFO promoters, particularly those of the showman type, package all sorts of weirdness together, just like flavor varieties in the counter at an ice cream shop. Fate Magazine, for example, has a long history of featuring flying saucers side by side with ghosts, shrunken heads, psychics, bigfoot and reincarnation. Fate is by no means alone, the audience often shares those varied interests. MUFON, for instance has featured lectures on topics such as crop circles and remote viewing, and many sites, authors and conferences just lump them together under the broad category of the "paranormal."

What I'm trying to say, is the skeptics are right, and that a large segment of those interested in those topics are just lapping up the weird tales without requiring supporting evidence. That's a fundamental issue. UFOlogy for many people is just entertainment, and to them, what's most important is the constant delivery of new stories. Real science can't work that way. We have to do better first, by quitting the circus.

Back