• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Two Hours on the Operating Table

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
This is about how messed up the health care system remains in the U.S., even though the controversial Patient Assistance and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) has sharply reduced the number of the uninsured.

So Barbara is playing with our Bichon, Teddy Bear, when she trips over one of his toys in the kitchen, which has a filed floor.

She hoped the bone wasn't broken, but when the pain in her left knee persisted, I took her to the Emergency Room, where she was diagnosed with a multiple fracture. When it was clear it wouldn't just heal by itself after she was fitted with a special bandage, she underwent over two hours of surgery at a local hospital.

The other day we got the bill:

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.40.04 AM.png

This bill doesn't include the original Emergency Room visit, the surgeon, the anesthesiologist (the physician sends a separate bill), or the months of physical therapy she must undergo to regain full use of her leg.

It's a preliminary bill and doesn't reflect what the insurance will cover, but copays and deductibles will still be huge.

And this is just for a broken knee. Now imagine anyone confronting a serious disease with long-term hospitalization or outpatient treatments, and you can see how far out of control things have gotten.

What would such treatment cost individuals in Canada, UK, Germany? You get the picture.

Gene, while I have never in my adult life needed hospital care...yet...I have had several friends that have. My take away from all those conversations has been that the billing aspect is part of the game. Which i think you may be finding out by now. Hospitals have a published list of prices from which they determine how much they are willing to concede. At one point I thought there was talk on making this aspect more open, but of course just like the stealth bomber back in the 70s, these pricing structures don't exist. The mark ups on band-aids alone brings to mind the pentagon toilet seat fiasco. It's like buying a car, they throw in a lot of unnecessary things which later on can be determined it wasn't necessary or it was double billed but it's up to you to find them, and it will be a lot of work and being put on hold. Good Luck.

I just can't imagine charging $32,678 for the OR, for somewhat over two hours. And this is knee surgery, not a heart transplant.

You can bet if ever I know in advance that i will need a procedure I'm going to consider medical tourism as an alternative.

Let's just say that when I get the final bill, I will be having a long talk with them. The FTC ought to do something about hospital pricing polices.

Oh Gene,
My first thought as im sure it is everyones is i hope your wife is feeling OK.

My second is i hope your insurance can cover most of that shocker of a bill.

My wife and i have never had health insurance, the last time i had surgery it was for a pilonidal sinus, as hilarious as it is painful.
couple of hours on the table and a day hospital in recovery, cost....... zero
I could have had a nurse visit me at home for the next 3 weeks to change the dressings, cost zero (my wife did the honours, which saved me some embarrasment but not money)

Had an ECG 6 months ago, just as a checkup..... cost zero
Had an MRI for a deviated septum 2 years ago cost.... well you get the picture

I guess i can be forgiven for not being able to get my head around those numbers.

I do pay for medicine but its only a token fee as an example 6 boxes of panadine forte, thats the prescription painkiller with codine , costs me $5.25 for the lot (120 tablets)
And the visit to the Dr to get that prescription.....zero.
All my blood tests, ultrasounds and Xrays are free too

I cant imagine how horrible it must be to get a bill like that for medical treatment

Gene, my heart goes out to you. This is the "double whammy" with which Americans are increasingly presented. First comes dealing with the pain and injury of a loved one, followed by a billing onslaught.

The classic American view of medicine is that it is a business, and therefore should be subject to only minimal regulatory oversight. In reality, medical treatment occupies an utterly unique place in any civilized society.
America will eventually be forced to admit to itself that rendering aid to the sick and injured can never be "business as usual."

If I should happen upon an injured motorist not already receiving aid, I am legally bound to stop and help. This is as it should be. The same applies on a larger and more complex scale to medical treatment. I hope I am making sense here.

The next time you encounter someone who is downright paranoid about the prospect of socialized medicine, raise the subject of Medicare. Ask them if they or members of their family are dependent on it to stay afloat. Chances are good they should answer "yes". Medicare is a form of socialized medicine that has worked pretty well for decades here.

The medical insurance companies and pharmaceuticals control how doctors can practice. A prescription I normally take went up in price 7x. I asked my family doctor what was going on.

He said the big pharmaceutical companies were raising prices before Obama Care kicked in and then prices would be locked in for some time.

Once the government, big pharma, and insurance get together, you know who is going to get screwed, the patient.

Thanks for the comments and good wishes.

My wife's meds went up in price just in the last month, but not due to the ACA, since it's not regulating those prices. But some might want to use that as an excuse.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery from England.

I am upset by the ridiculous state of affairs when it comes to Health over there, but judging by my recent mistakes, its probably not a good idea to say to much when I am upset, hence my reluctance to comment earlier.

Again Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Thank you. Barbara will return to the doctor next week, hopefully no longer in need of that immobilizer (a velcro-attached replacement for a cast), but rehabilitation will continue for perhaps a few months.

Hope all is well now with your wife Gene. Best wishes. The waiting lists if its Elective or non life threatening surgery can be quite extensive in Australia . Unless you have private insurance .But the Dentists here charge like wounded bulls. Thats why people are choosing to go to Thailand for teeth work

Gene,

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery. My mother underwent surgery to remove a tumor near her bile duct this week. It was unsuccessful unfortunately as the cancer had spread to other areas of her body. She turns 61 in one week and has never smoked or drank anything stronger than an occasional glass of red wine. It's unfair.

She was due to retire in one year. Fortunately she has insurance otherwise mom and dad's nest egg would've likely been wiped out by medical bills. Again I hope your wife feels better Gene & sorry for the crazy bill.

We only have today. Nothing else is guaranteed.

Back