• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Touring-esque Test for Alien Forum Members

Gene Lionberg

Paranormal Maven
Assume there were members of the forum who were natural born citizens of an alien planet. What questions could you pose to get them to reveal their true nature? Or is such a test impossible?

I Love You,
Gene Lionberg

Assume there were members of the forum who were natural born citizens of an alien planet. What questions could you pose to get them to reveal their true nature? Or is such a test impossible?

I Love You,
Gene Lionberg
Fun food for thought. Maybe ask if they have a particular fondness for Rocky Mountain Oysters?

ET will expose their presence when the right time comes which, obviously, has yet to arrive.

I Love You,
Gene Lionberg

Unconditionally?

ET will expose their presence when the right time comes which, obviously, has yet to arrive.

Unconditionally?

I read it that Gene Lionberg was the object of love? Is this not the correct interpretation assuming conventional terran grammar?

Fun food for thought. Maybe ask if they have a particular fondness for Rocky Mountain Oysters?

Oysters have not been indigenous to the Rocky Mountains for a considerable time. "many years" or "eons".

I believe this to be something akin to "snipe hunting" or the "tipping" of bovines. Clear evolutionary considerations as well as physiology and geometry render success in the latter endeavor unlikely.

The applicable phrase here I believe involves applying a counter vailing force to ones "lower" limb.

Oysters have not been indigenous to the Rocky Mountains for a considerable time. "many years" or "eons".

I believe this to be something akin to "snipe hunting" or the "tipping" of bovines. Clear evolutionary considerations as well as physiology and geometry render success in the latter endeavor unlikely.

The applicable phrase here I believe involves applying a counter vailing force to ones "lower" limb.

I think this test just found its first ET...

I Love You,
Gene Lionberg

This place serves 'em. I suggest a stakeout ( or should I say steak out ... har har har )

MIBDiner-01a.jpg

It's very hard to tell.

I Love You,
Gene Lionberg

That's generally true of most things, I've found - including the question of whether that's just true for me ... or for everyone.

As to whether I think we are both aliens - that would depend on what planet we are on at the time.

You said that on porpoise!

I Love You,
Gene Lionberg

Without a frame of reference, what would we know to look for?

And if it's just exchanging q/a over the forum, not even in real time, that's pretty tough, you've only gotten written responses. You could concoct various scenarios where a human was used as a proxy to type the responses (with various limitations of course).

If there's been any broad analysis done on written language use in internet forums, then its been done under the assumption (I'm assuming) that the participants were human ... and if there were aliens mixed in, then there data is included (or thrown out) of the norms ... the conclusion at any rate would have to be look how broad a range of language usage there is! ... with your question (compared to what?) left dangling out there.

Now, if there were a third party involved, that would be a simple question of comparative xeno-linguistics.

from Chapter 8 Shaun Gallagher's Brainstorming

smcder interesting to know if this applies to more "alien" types of things on earth like squid or insects ... and what kind of alien life would and wouldn't trigger the MNs ... think of all the anthropomorphic aliens on Star Trek, then think of the Tribble, then the Horta.

Also, if they didn't trigger the MNs, could we learn to empathize with the aliens over time and then would the MNs fire?

Here’s a version of a subpersonal Turing Test for this experiment, as suggested by Oberman et al. (in press).

Currently there is good evidence to suggest that mirror neurons, which are activated when we see others engaged in intentional actions, are not activated when we see mechanical things do the things that could be done by people (see, e.g., Di Pellegrino et al. 1992; Gallese 1996; Tai et al. 2004). So, if a monkey sees food being grasped by a mechanical apparatus rather than by a monkey or human hand, its MNs fail to fire. On the version of the Turing Test that would be relevant here, a robot would pass the Turing Test if in performing an action it caused our MNs to fire. That at least would signal some progress in the construction of social robots.

Back