• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Paracast Political Thread! — Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petition circulating - "Michael Signer, writer for Time Magazine, highlights the need for an Electoral College call to action. Read article and share the petition. The Electors need support so they will assess their vote and work for the greater good. A demagogue who commits crimes and spews hate does not deserve to be our president."

Time Magazine calls for Electoral College to Act
LINK: Time Magazine calls for Electoral College to Act

There was the very valid question on the last thread: why are we sitting down taking this aberration. Good point.

Michael Signer, the Mayor of Charlottesville, Virginia, is an attorney, and a lecturer at the University of Virginia. (His most recent book is Becoming Madison). Here he is making the legal argument for the electors not to vote for Trump.

The Electoral College Was Created to Stop Demagogues Like Trump
LINK
: The Electoral College Was Created to Stop Demagogues Like Trump
TEXT: "Since Nov. 9, Donald Trump has been described as our 'President-elect.' But many would be shocked to learn that this term is actually legally meaningless. The Constitution sets out a specific hurdle for Trump to ascend to the presidency. And that will not happen until Dec. 19 when the members of the Electoral College meet in their respective states to vote for the President.

"It’s these electors who actually hold power under the Constitution to select Donald Trump as president. They should take that responsibility very seriously. They owe it to all Americans to deliberate on their choice in the manner required by the Constitution.

"The fact is that the Electoral College was primarily designed to stop a demagogue—a tyrannical mass leader who preys on our prejudices—from becoming President.

"Consider what Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist Paper Number 68. The Electors were supposed to stop a candidate with 'Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity' from becoming President. The Electors were supposed to be 'men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.'

"They were to 'possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations' as the selection of the President, and they were supposed to 'afford as little opportunity as possible to tumult and disorder.' They were even supposed to prevent 'the desire in foreign powers to gain an improper ascendant in our councils.'

"Hamilton was talking about demagogues. The word 'demagogue' appears in both the first and last Federalist Papers; in Federalist Paper Number 1, for instance, Hamilton worried about the 'military despotism of a victorious demagogue.'

"In my book Demagogue: The Fight to Save Democracy from Its Worst Enemies, I define demagogues as meeting four criteria: first, they posture as a mirror of the masses, attacking elites. Second, they trigger great waves of emotion. Third, they use that emotion for political benefit. Fourth, they threaten or break established rules of governance.

"Demagogues tend to turn democracy against itself, from within, as we have vividly seen in recent years with the tyrannical Hugo Chavez in Venezuela (who imprisoned political opponents), the corrupt Silvio Berlusconi in Italy (who was convicted for corruption and for sex parties with underage women), and the brutal Alexander Lukashenko in Belarus (who runs a violent, oppressive regime).

"For a long time, I believed that Trump was not a demagogue because he didn’t mirror the masses and because he didn’t threaten governance. But when he began openly posturing as a mirror of the masses and courting unlawfulness and even violence, I concluded that he had, in fact, become a demagogue, which meant that he also crossed the line into a clear Constitutional danger zone, according to the Founding Fathers.

"For that reason, the Electoral College was designed to prevent a demagogue from becoming president. It serves two purposes. One of them is to give small states power as well as big states and the cities. The other is to provide a mechanism where intelligent, thoughtful and statesmanlike leaders could deliberate on the winner of the popular vote and, if necessary, choose another candidate who would not put Constitutional values and practices at risk.

"In other words, the electors are not supposed to rubber-stamp the popular vote. They’re supposed to do the opposite—to take their responsibility gravely, to subject the winning popular vote candidate to exhaustive scrutiny, and, if the candidate does not meet Hamilton’s standards, to elect an alternative.

"There is much for them to examine with Donald Trump. In his campaign and in his rocky and unsettling transition so far, Trump has run roughshod over fundamental Constitutional principles.

"For instance, he sanctioned violence at his rallies and threatened to imprison his opponent. He threatened the independent press with libel actions and has barred the press from covering him. He has said he would force generals to comply with unlawful orders (for instance, regarding torture) and has threatened to abrogate alliances with treaty partners. And he has done all of these things while stoking prejudices, rage and fear in a way paralleled in our history only by other inarguable demagogues. And his transition so far has been an unsettling parade of erratic and autocratic decisions.

"Electors are chosen by their respective state political parties. Twenty-nine states and the District of Columbia have laws in place requiring their electors to vote for the winner of the state’s popular vote. But those laws usually impose just small penalties, and Harvard law professor Lawrence Tribe has said that even those fines are Constitutionally suspect and may not be enforced by a court.

"Because of these rules, the Electoral College has fallen into irrelevancy. This year’s election, in particular, the candidacy of Donald Trump, provides them with every reason to perform their job in accordance with Federalist #68.

"There are several reasons to think that a revolt against Trump could take place among Republican electors. There’s the fact that Trump ran against the Republican Party and their leaders, viciously attacking many respected national leaders. There’s the fact that he was unable to win the popular vote—at most recent count over a million votes behind Hillary Clinton.

"And then there’s the fact that Trump promises to bring to the presidency precisely the 'tumult and disorder' that Hamilton warned against.

"The electors were supposed to be statesmen. Even though recent years have seen a decline in statesmanship in America, they could be reborn this year. Statesmen truly have our greater good truly at heart, pursuing the broader purpose of America and calming the passions.

"If these men and women live up to that noble goal on Dec. 19, they will truly make American great again."

Last edited:
@marduk You wrote in the previous thread: "So fix it. Stop waiting for some talking head to do it for you. Look, I'm slipping a gear here."

Totally agree with you, Marduk. :( You're not the only one 'slipping a gear.'

"Why the hell do you guys tolerate this? Why riot now instead of before? Why not stand up and demand a functioning public education system based on reason and logic rather than belief and rhetoric? If you had a better educated electorate the odds of seeing through this nonsense would go up exponentially."

Exactly so. This has been decades in the making. Fundamentalism is a universal bane. But it goes further - the weird advent of conspiracy ideas. One despairs.

The real problem is the sheer scale of the voting population that does not vote - something like 46% I believe this time round. It grieves me to say it - but we allowed it to happen.

"From my perspective - and I actually love your country and it's people for all I bitch about it - you guys just sit back and take it expecting someone else to fix it. Which is one thing if you live in a socialized country where you can expect some hand holding. But you don't."

The loss of an active press in the last two decades creates a considerable problem. Plus the undermining of activism itself.

"Trump is the corporate establishment. The marriage of the corporation and government. If you think he's shook up the government, you're right. But all he's going to do is push power from the government (which you actually have some power over) to the corporations, which you have none over."

Correctly summed up. Sadly. :(

My favorite quotes, one from @marduk (Thank you!)

"Trump is the corporate establishment. The marriage of the corporation and government. If you think he's shook up the government, you're right. But all he's going to do is push power from the government (which you actually have some power over) to the corporations, which you have none over."

"We've voted in oligarchy and plutocracy - not grass-roots populism that might empower the working classes. Clinton's admittedly status quo policies would've been far better for the vast majority. Clinton's plan gave generous breaks to low & middle class, taxed upper brackets significantly more and helped working families much more than Trump - with minimal impact on the national debt."

I was just thinking about the customers of Wade & their generosity, as he wrote ...

“For the Record I am middle aged and as far as Starbucks goes, come this holiday season I will be inundated with (not necessarily wanted) Starbucks gift cards in the form of tips. And so...and this is absolutely true...I took the stack of various Starbucks cards I had accumulated over the years and put them all on one card. It took about an hour and a half maybe more to register each card transfer the balance and then delete the original It came to $327.00. it currently stands at 197.97 and will likely increase very soon.”

… and then realizing in this holiday season he’ll have to endure this. For how many Trumps can one man take?

Trump supporters launch #TrumpCup as a protest against Starbucks - CNN.com

JUST IN: ACLU Makes FULL PAGE Donald Trump Announcement Via New York Times (IMAGE)
LINK:
JUST IN: ACLU Makes FULL PAGE Donald Trump Announcement Via New York Times
TEXT: "The ACLU has got a few words for America’s newest elected “leader,” and the letter they just published through the NY Times, is probably the most amazing jab in the history of politics. It doesn’t hurt that the jab came from the American Civil Liberties Union, because the power behind the letter is what makes it so ominous to the president-elect."

Rigged election: Donald Trump won every surprise swing state by the same 1% margin
LINK:
Rigged election: Donald Trump won every surprise swing state by the same 1% margin
TEXT: "As the 2016 election results played out, observers on both sides were shocked that Donald Trump won four key swing states – Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin – where Hillary Clinton had been heavily favored. She had seeminglylocked up Florida with early voting alone, and the other three have all reliably gone blue for a generation. But more suspicious than the fact that Trump won these states was the fact that he won them all by the same margin.

"The most commonly posited explanation of Donald Trump’s shocking election victory was that every professional pollster in the nation – despite each working independently and using differing methodologies – somehow managed to overlook the same pockets of Trump voters in these states. If such pockets did exist, they would have existed in varying sizes in each of the four states, thus resulting in different sized wins in each.

"Ask any statistician and they’ll tell you that a reasonable distribution of the results would have been Trump winning one of the states by one percent, won one of them by perhaps three percent, won one of them by two percent, lost one of them by one percent, or something along those lines. But instead the voting tallies looked startlingly different from any natural distribution. In fact they looked startlingly the same.

"According to the New York Times, the voting results broke down like this: Trump won Florida by just over one percent of the vote. He also won Pennsylvania by just over one percent. He won Michigan by just under one percent. And he won Wisconsin by precisely one percent. That’s not how numbers tend to work in the real world.

"On its own, this kin of suspiciously consistent numerical dispersion across the four states that decided the election would be something that could be written off as a mere fluke. But when you put it within the context of the numerous other ways in which the voting tallies make no mathematical sense, it points to the numbers having been rigged or altered.

"Specifically it points to some hacker having nudged these four states into Trump’s column by no more and no less than the one percent he needed, so as not to arouse suspicion by giving him too large of a win in any of the states he was supposed to lose. But if so, it’s the pattern of all of these states being won by the same one percent that stands out as suspicious, because that’s just not how numbers work to begin with."

I can't wait 'til this all erupts in a nationwide ass-kicking :D

Walter, your sense of perspective is right on time.

It's coming too, you can bet your sweet assets on that fact. Ladies and little generals, please enjoy your short stay at our luxurious reform spa, Internment Central. Next stop, wherever the beep your illegitimate ass came from. ROTFLMAO!!!! :eek:

This is precisely what was done to me in part two of this glorious ongoing eulogy for social liberalism that *is* The Official Paracast Political Thread series, so I am simply following what is Gene approved precedent and protocol by doing the exact same thing myself.

@marduk writes the following, and before I paste as much here, I am declaring the following to be not only an utter falsehood, but it is literally by design wartime level propaganda that is composed of the identically twisted and deranged perspectives that reflect the liberal informational pollution that has been used in an attempt, a FAILED attempt, to brainwash the American public into accepting unconditional defeat. It's sick people, and you misguided mental midgets better wake the beep up.

@marduk wrote in his/her second post on page 52 of the OPPT pt. 2: "Those manufacturing jobs aren't coming back. For a simple reason: your workforce is too expensive for them to. Are you actually going to buy american when you walk into Walmart? No. Why? Because your workforce can't or won't spend the money to buy american.

Which by this point is actually lower quality anyway than the cheaper offshore manufacturing.

A workforce that is increasingly trapped at working in service industries like Walmart...blah, blah. blah"

*This* is what the liberal mindset can do for a person. It trains the impressionable mind to accept unsubstantiated, bullshit bred defeat. It trains the mind to beg for resolve when absolutely none is required. I want to be fair about my assertions here, so I am giving the author of this putrid propaganda the opportunity to provide just one, that's numeral 1, UNO for our illiterate friends soon to be on those big iron glory trains headed south, that substantiates this utter and complete horse hockey nonsense.

As a professional member of the USA's legitimate work force, now for almost 40 years, my business depends on repairs and services performed with all sorts of manufactured parts. 85% of those manufactured parts, thanks to those extremely influential market spectators like George Soros who have for the last 30 years funded and puppeteered national directives that the Bush, Clinton, and Obama administrations have overseen, have made it nearly untenable for the USA to do much manufacturing at all, so that 85% consists of imported parts. However, 15% of the parts we use are in fact manufactured in the United States. The quality of that 15% of the USA manufactured parts represented by their consistent quality, reliability, and longevity once installed, so overshadows the 85% GARBAGE parts that we primarily get from China in the form of middleman recognizable brand name reboxers, that the first question in our minds when obtaining parts from our suppliers is where the beep they are manufactured. Why? Because we do not want to have to replace for free what we are installing for our customers under the time frame represented by OUR warranty of these repairs.

So that's proof of ignorant falsehood fueled propaganda #1 flushed right down the nearest toilet where it belongs with the rest of the human feces like it.

I do not care what it is you are referring to in terms of manufacturing. In ANY case, if, and when that product was first made in the United States, and is now imported, it was hands down better quality when made here. I don't care what product it is that you are comparing a currently manufactured product in the USA to, a similar import is going to be FAR LESS quality. Ask *any* serious consumer enthusiast, I don't care what it is you are referring to, the best, and most top shelf product quality comes from those made in the USA, past or present, with respect to manufactured goods. Naturally you will find exceptional products made everywhere. Whether that be the Swiss or the Germans, but you will ALWAYS find top shelf parallels to any product manufactured anywhere manufactured in parallel simultaneously right here in the good ol' US of A.

That was proof of falsehood #2.
Now I'm sure that my fact filled post in this thread here will be followed up by all sorts of liberal editorials and philosophically baseless ongoings, but there you have it. The undeniable in your face TRUTH of the matter.

And @marduk, please, would you stop going on and on like some ranting and raving POed teenager that's about ready to slam their bedroom door? If you don't have something to state or contend that's based in and on reality, give it a rest or visit a different thread. Right Gene?

Last edited:
I think Jeff my have me on ignore, so maybe somebody could ask him on my behalf: why he uses terms like "Internment Central" and "big iron glory trains".

When I read somebody talking like that it is disturbing.

Considering that there has been direct discourse in this thread regarding WWII and the holocaust, I find it even more troubling.

If I read Trump correctly, he plans on becoming the Disruptor-In-Chief. If he ripped into the Republican establishment I would have to think he will be coming after the Democratic Globalist machine in short order.

So that's why he's pulling in people from the Republican establishment (Priebus), and a sitting Senator for Attorney General?

As a professional member of the USA's legitimate work force, now for almost 40 years, my business depends on repairs and services performed with all sorts of manufactured parts. 85% of those manufactured parts, thanks to those extremely influential market spectators like George Soros who have for the last 30 years funded and puppeteered national directives that the Bush, Clinton, and Obama administrations have overseen, have made it nearly untenable for the USA to do much manufacturing at all, so that 85% consists of imported parts. However, 15% of the parts we use are in fact manufactured in the United States. The quality of that 15% of the USA manufactured parts represented by their consistent quality, reliability, and longevity once installed, so overshadows the 85% GARBAGE parts that we primarily get from China in the form of middleman recognizable brand name reboxers, that the first question in our minds when obtaining parts from our suppliers is where the beep they are manufactured. Why? Because we do not want to have to replace for free what we are installing for our customers under the time frame represented by OUR warranty of these repairs.

You really don't know much about OEM parts vs. aftermarket. As long as the part required meets or exceeds OEM standards, it doesn't make a bit of difference where the part is manufactured. Like anything else its caveat emptor. Aftermarket Versus OEM Car Parts: Is the Extra Cost Worth It? -- Edmunds.com

I’ll take a Toyota, Honda, Lexus, or, Infinity, over most any US built car, because they simply last longer with less repairs that add up. Not to mention their resale value is usually higher.

Aftermarket Parts
An aftermarket part is any part for a vehicle that is not sourced from the car's maker. If the parts are direct replacement parts, they will not void your car's warranty. A number of companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases even better than the original. Tom Torbjornsen, host of America's Car Show, estimates that about 80 percent of independent shops use aftermarket parts. "Be an informed consumer," said Torbjornsen."Shop around, make sure you're dealing with a good mechanic and request high-quality aftermarket parts."

PROS

• Less expensive: Aftermarket parts are usually less expensive than OEM parts; how much you save varies by brand. Shop around to find the best price and to get an idea of how much that part usually costs. If the price of a part seems too good to be true, ask questions about its quality.
  • Quality can be equal to or greater than OEM: In some cases, you may end up with a better part than you started with. "The aftermarket companies reverse-engineer the part, and work the weaknesses out," said Torbjornsen. For example, when an automaker designs its brake pads, it has to strike a balance between cost, durability, noise levels and performance. If you want better performance and don't mind some extra brake noise (some brake pads squeak even though they are stopping the car effectively), an aftermarket pad may be your best choice.
  • More variety: There are hundreds of companies that make aftermarket parts. Some specialize in specific parts, and other companies, like NAPA, make almost any part you can think of. More variety means greater selection and a wider range of prices.
  • Better availability: You can walk into any gas station, auto parts store or local mechanic, and they're bound to have a part that fits your car. This gives you more options on where to take your car for service.
CONS

• Quality varies greatly: The saying "you get what you pay for" rings true here. Some aftermarket parts are inferior because of the use of lower-quality materials. Stick with aftermarket brands you're familiar with or are recommended by a mechanic you trust, even if these parts cost a bit more.
  • Overwhelming selection: If you're not familiar with aftermarket brands, the selection could be overwhelming, and there's some chance you may get a bad quality part. Even a part as simple as a spark plug can be made by dozens of different companies and comes in numerous variations. Consult your mechanic for advice or simply stick with the OEM part when the price difference isn't significant.
  • May not have a warranty: To keep costs down, some aftermarket parts are sold without a warranty.
OEM Parts
OEM parts are made by the vehicle's manufacturer. These match the parts that came with your vehicle when it rolled off the assembly line.

PROS

• Easier to choose your part: If you go to the parts counter at a dealership and ask for any part, you'll usually get one type. You don't have to worry about assessing the quality of different brands and prices.
  • Greater assurance of quality: The OEM part should work exactly as the one you are replacing. It is what the vehicle was manufactured with and provides a peace of mind in its familiarity and performance.
  • Comes with a warranty: Most automakers back up their OEM parts with a one-year warranty. And if you get your car repaired at the dealer, they'll usually stand by their labor as well.
CONS

• More expensive: OEM parts will usually cost more than an aftermarket part. When it comes to bodywork, OEM parts tend to cost about 60 percent more, according to the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI). There is more of a burden on parts and service to increase a dealership's profit, since the sales departments have been underperforming. But the gap in pricing might be closing, says Torbjornsen. "We've seen a balance in the scales; dealers are now trying to compete with independent shops."
  • Need to be bought at the dealership: Even though there are other ways of buying OEM parts (eBay, online wholesalers), most people will go to a dealership to buy their car parts. This limits the number of places you can buy from. You can request OEM parts from your local mechanic, but it may take longer to get your vehicle repaired since the parts must be ordered.
  • Quality may not be superior: You paid the extra money for an OEM part, hoping that it was vastly better than an aftermarket part. But that may not always be the case. As Torbjornsen mentioned earlier, some aftermarket parts are equal to or in some cases better than OEM parts. So you might be paying extra just for the name.
When Should You Request OEM Parts?
When it comes to collision repairs, make sure you are getting OEM parts, since aftermarket body panels may not fit properly or have proper crumple zones for crash safety.

If you lease your car, there are also economic considerations. Since aftermarket parts decrease a vehicle's book value, using them to repair your vehicle's body may cost you part or all of your security deposit.

But here's the rub: In 21 states and the District of Columbia, a body shop's repair estimate does not have to indicate whether aftermarket parts will be used. You'll often find that your insurance company will favor aftermarket parts because they are cheaper. If you request OEM parts, some insurance companies ask you to pay an additional fee. Check with your insurance provider beforehand, to see what parts they will cover.

Which Is the Best Way To Go?
All aftermarket parts are not created equal — but all OEM parts are. This creates its own set of advantages and disadvantages. If you're familiar with a number of brands or work on your own car, aftermarket parts can save you a lot of money. If you're not familiar with aftermarket brands, prefer to have everything done at the dealership and don't mind paying a bit extra for that peace of mind, OEM is a good choice for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait 'til this all erupts in a nationwide ass-kicking :D
What do you mean?
If I read Trump correctly, he plans on becoming the Disruptor-In-Chief. If he ripped into the Republican establishment I would have to think he will be coming after the Democratic Globalist machine in short order.
Sadly, no one need be satisfied, except the 1% of which Trump is a part, and to which he is loyal. Meaning: his own bottom line. He's back-pedaling on nearly every campaign promise - even his NAFTA rhetoric. This is a guy you trust to go after any 'elites'? I'm starting to wonder what you think an 'eliete' is?
I think Jeff my have me on ignore, so maybe somebody could ask him on my behalf: why he uses terms like "Internment Central" and "big iron glory trains". When I read somebody talking like that it is disturbing. Considering that there has been direct discourse in this thread regarding WWII and the holocaust, I find it even more troubling.
@Jeff Davis why do you use terms like "Internment Central" and "big iron glory trains"?

Reactions: Han
You really don't know much about OEM parts vs. aftermarket. As long as the part required meets or exceeds OEM standards, it doesn't make a bit of difference where the part is manufactured. Like anything else its caveat emptor. Aftermarket Versus OEM Car Parts: Is the Extra Cost Worth It? -- Edmunds.com

Aftermarket Parts
An aftermarket part is any part for a vehicle that is not sourced from the car's maker. If the parts are direct replacement parts, they will not void your car's warranty. A number of companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases even better than the original. Tom Torbjornsen, host of America's Car Show, estimates that about 80 percent of independent shops use aftermarket parts. "Be an informed consumer," said Torbjornsen."Shop around, make sure you're dealing with a good mechanic and request high-quality aftermarket parts."

PROS

• Less expensive: Aftermarket parts are usually less expensive than OEM parts; how much you save varies by brand. Shop around to find the best price and to get an idea of how much that part usually costs. If the price of a part seems too good to be true, ask questions about its quality.
  • Quality can be equal to or greater than OEM: In some cases, you may end up with a better part than you started with. "The aftermarket companies reverse-engineer the part, and work the weaknesses out," said Torbjornsen. For example, when an automaker designs its brake pads, it has to strike a balance between cost, durability, noise levels and performance. If you want better performance and don't mind some extra brake noise (some brake pads squeak even though they are stopping the car effectively), an aftermarket pad may be your best choice.
  • More variety: There are hundreds of companies that make aftermarket parts. Some specialize in specific parts, and other companies, like NAPA, make almost any part you can think of. More variety means greater selection and a wider range of prices.
  • Better availability: You can walk into any gas station, auto parts store or local mechanic, and they're bound to have a part that fits your car. This gives you more options on where to take your car for service.
CONS

• Quality varies greatly: The saying "you get what you pay for" rings true here. Some aftermarket parts are inferior because of the use of lower-quality materials. Stick with aftermarket brands you're familiar with or are recommended by a mechanic you trust, even if these parts cost a bit more.
  • Overwhelming selection: If you're not familiar with aftermarket brands, the selection could be overwhelming, and there's some chance you may get a bad quality part. Even a part as simple as a spark plug can be made by dozens of different companies and comes in numerous variations. Consult your mechanic for advice or simply stick with the OEM part when the price difference isn't significant.
  • May not have a warranty: To keep costs down, some aftermarket parts are sold without a warranty.
OEM Parts
OEM parts are made by the vehicle's manufacturer. These match the parts that came with your vehicle when it rolled off the assembly line.

PROS

• Easier to choose your part: If you go to the parts counter at a dealership and ask for any part, you'll usually get one type. You don't have to worry about assessing the quality of different brands and prices.
  • Greater assurance of quality: The OEM part should work exactly as the one you are replacing. It is what the vehicle was manufactured with and provides a peace of mind in its familiarity and performance.
  • Comes with a warranty: Most automakers back up their OEM parts with a one-year warranty. And if you get your car repaired at the dealer, they'll usually stand by their labor as well.
CONS

• More expensive: OEM parts will usually cost more than an aftermarket part. When it comes to bodywork, OEM parts tend to cost about 60 percent more, according to the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI). There is more of a burden on parts and service to increase a dealership's profit, since the sales departments have been underperforming. But the gap in pricing might be closing, says Torbjornsen. "We've seen a balance in the scales; dealers are now trying to compete with independent shops."
  • Need to be bought at the dealership: Even though there are other ways of buying OEM parts (eBay, online wholesalers), most people will go to a dealership to buy their car parts. This limits the number of places you can buy from. You can request OEM parts from your local mechanic, but it may take longer to get your vehicle repaired since the parts must be ordered.
  • Quality may not be superior: You paid the extra money for an OEM part, hoping that it was vastly better than an aftermarket part. But that may not always be the case. As Torbjornsen mentioned earlier, some aftermarket parts are equal to or in some cases better than OEM parts. So you might be paying extra just for the name.
When Should You Request OEM Parts?
When it comes to collision repairs, make sure you are getting OEM parts, since aftermarket body panels may not fit properly or have proper crumple zones for crash safety.

If you lease your car, there are also economic considerations. Since aftermarket parts decrease a vehicle's book value, using them to repair your vehicle's body may cost you part or all of your security deposit.

But here's the rub: In 21 states and the District of Columbia, a body shop's repair estimate does not have to indicate whether aftermarket parts will be used. You'll often find that your insurance company will favor aftermarket parts because they are cheaper. If you request OEM parts, some insurance companies ask you to pay an additional fee. Check with your insurance provider beforehand, to see what parts they will cover.

Which Is the Best Way To Go?
All aftermarket parts are not created equal — but all OEM parts are. This creates its own set of advantages and disadvantages. If you're familiar with a number of brands or work on your own car, aftermarket parts can save you a lot of money. If you're not familiar with aftermarket brands, prefer to have everything done at the dealership and don't mind paying a bit extra for that peace of mind, OEM is a good choice for you.

You obviously have zero professional credentials S.R.L. or you would have never made such an ignorance fueled and thoroughly misguided conclusion. Not only do you not know what I was accurately informing members here about, you don't even have a clue what you are going on about. What I stated had NOTHING to do with OEM vs. Aftermarket parts. Zero. The post you failed to even "get" centered on parts that *ARE* mostly aftermarket by definition that are made in the USA. This vastly smaller percentage of USA manufactured automobile parts parts are almost always much better quality than most OEM branded parts which are in fact in large part imported from China and then placed in their middleman brand named boxes. The EXACT same parts can be found in different aftermarket branded boxes in automobile parts supermarkets everywhere. This *is* the PAST 3 decades of the globalist socialist influenced US consumer market place at it's uniform quality lowering best. THANK YOU S.R.L. for making my point! :)

I had an amazing Philosophy teacher in the high school that I attended named MR. Hayner. Brilliant old guy that road his bicycle across town everyday to and from his class room in the ghetto central high school I graduated from. He taught me, "If you want to know, go to the men who know". After being in the business I am presently in for 35+ years, I am one such man who definitely knows.

S.R.L., can you say "I was wrong & didn't have a clue what I was talking about"? :oops:

I have a question for the Trump supporter posters on this thread - I am purposely avoiding calling the Trump supporters 'conservatives' because I know there are plenty of conservatives just as appalled by what Trump represents (and stokes up) as are 'liberals'.

My question is on the order of a hypothetical: on December 19th the Electoral College votes. What between red-state electors who are lobbying to switch their votes to a third party - like Kasich (among the names I have heard mentioned) and other electors saying they will switch their vote to the candidate who won the popular vote by over 1 million votes (Hillary) - what if in all of that - with electors exercising their constitutional rights to elect the next president - it winds up being that the Electoral College votes Hillary Clinton for President - what happens then?

Would you accept that the candidate with the overwhelming majority of the popular vote - and then the vote of the Electoral College - should take the office of president?

If you believe that Trump should remain President-Elect even without the popular vote and the Electoral College vote (were that to happen) - upon what would you base that conviction?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back