• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The New Chekov is Dead Jim!

Very sad, i wonder how they will write this into the script of any new movies, The obvious would be Urban saying "Its worse than that, hes dead jim" but that may be in poor taste.

Freak accidents....... i guess i got off lightly

I think they will just recast the role and still properly honor his memory. Or, as you suggest, write this into the script. In the scheme of things, Chekov has rarely had a major role in "Star Trek." The character was cast in the series partly to attract younger people I expect (this was 1966, the year The Monkees debuted), and having him be a Russian was designed to make the show even more inclusive.

I haven't been on here for ages, but when I read this story earlier I instantly thought of the Paracast.

I was inspired to watch the Startrek films because of Gene making references during episodes of the show.

I think that Anton Yelchin was a fantastic actor and his portrayal of Pavel Chekov was spot on.

Rest in peace.

I think they will just recast the role and still properly honor his memory. Or, as you suggest, write this into the script. In the scheme of things, Chekov has rarely had a major role in "Star Trek." The character was cast in the series partly to attract younger people I expect (this was 1966, the year The Monkees debuted), and having him be a Russian was designed to make the show even more inclusive.

Yes it did seem to be the thing to do ie make the crew international in composition. Space1999 did the same thing with a strong character emphasis on crew from every nation an important part of the story

Just think. In the 1960s, which certain politicians want to return us to (or the 50s), it was trendsetting to have a black man be the lead in a TV drama ("I Spy") and for a white man to kiss a black woman on the lips ("Star Trek"). Today we don't concern ourselves with the black James Olson getting it on with the white Supergirl.

Doctor who is another one where these sorts of cultural things get tested, funny how the progessions we get from sci fi arent just technical ones but cultural ones too

Remember that, when you hear an American politician promise to "take back" our country or "make America great again," they are talking about putting women in their place, blacks at the back of the bus, and white Christian men in control. Make it 1955 all over again. But we had President Eisenhower then, who believed in expanding healthcare and spending money to rebuild our infrastructure to boost the post-World War II economy. Little do they know what the consequences really mean.

Earlier today when this story first started breaking someone posted this URL on the twitter feed where antonyelchin was a hashtag. Note the underlying URL( in case you can't fetch it it mentions death hoax in the actual URL.,,

Anton Yelchin confirmed dead at 27 - Mediamass

Remembering the mix up earlier this year regarding Annette Funicello I thought this story indeed could have been a hoax. The page...since changed...at the time stated that this was a hoax and get this, the page/story was dated yesterday (Saturday). I wish I had a done a screen cap there is probably a logicial explainable reason behind it but as reports poured in and I accepted it was the truth, that he was indeed killed in a strange accident, I couldn't get over that page which had a disclaimer stating that as of Saturday according to his publicist he was fine.

2016 continues being a bitch as I'm sure our friend Mike can attest. Mike, if you are reading this, a belated welcome back good to see you on the mend and I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Remember that, when you hear an American politician promise to "take back" our country or "make America great again," they are talking about putting women in their place, blacks at the back of the bus, and white Christian men in control. Make it 1955 all over again. But we had President Eisenhower then, who believed in expanding healthcare and spending money to rebuild our infrastructure to boost the post-World War II economy. Little do they know what the consequences really mean.

Ahh my friend that is a polarised/black and white view that cant ever describe the USA
It is both great and terrible, a reality that has /is/always will be the reality.

The world is a size large now. Women of the world wont ever submit to a "place"
Race and religion are no longer confined to a geographical context and the limitations that they historically held

The cat is well and truy out of the bag, and happier and healthier for it

No matter who wins your next election, the consequences on the street will be organic in nature and expression and more to do with the global consensus via the internet than they are a US election result.

A child is shot every day in the US, and you also put men on the moon. The USA is a land of contradictions in a world of contradictions.

The same place that brings us a mass shooting every other week brings us the paracast. we wont ever resolve the dynamic down to good and bad. black and white. Its all these things and imho more than these things.

The upcoming elections cant possibly impact the deeper organic reality. Thats the real truth here imo

Worth recalling perhaps his turn on Leslie Bohem's Taken as the hybrid child - certainly the road stop scene with Joel Gretsch was pretty effective, I recall.

13510877_10156988020840104_5863881808138156682_n.jpg

Back