• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Strange set of circumstances or plagued by triple 6's ?

dankaholic

Paranormal Novice
Alright let me start by saying I dont know how to explain this, so I will just throw it out there and see if anyone else can explain it to me.

I am not one for gambling but on occasion I will buy a scratcher ticket for $1 and see how it goes. Normally I lose but have on occasion won small payouts.

This past summer I had an urge to purchase a ticket from a local store when I was filling up my gas tank. As luck would have it, I won, matching three 6's I collected $6 and also purchased another ticket of the same type. Again, matching three 6's on that ticket also I won $6.

The following day I purchased another ticket and again won $6 after matching three 6's. Over the next few days I played another three times, buying tickets from two different stores and each time I matched three 6's.

Until I purchased the seventh ticket where I finally lost. So in about 6 days I won $6 in scratchers matching 6's a total of 6 times.

Nothing of this sort has ever happened before or since, I have played a handful of times recently but have not won anything.

I would chalk this up to a strange coincidence but with the odds of winning stacked somewhat high against you, to buy the same winning ticket several times in a row seems impossible. Perhaps someone can tell me if there is any significance here or if I was on some weird winning streak.

Lotteries are rather odd sometimes. In your case because it was a scratch and win, the numbers were already preselected and printed, so the probability of manipulation is nearly zero. Therefore the only remaining explanation is that you just hit a "winning streak". We play a scratch and win here called Set For Life ( $1000 a week for life ). We play our own little game on top of it that we call "Scratch & Win Safari". We start with one ticket and if we win either a free play or a bit of cash, we keep driving around and using our "hunting skills" to pick the next spot to buy another ticket, and we keep doing that until we either hit the big one or fizzle out. I remember one night we kept going until about 2 A.M. on little wins ... Scratch and win safaris are more fun for us than actually winning the little prizes ... we make them into a mini adventure. Anyway these weird little streaks do happen :).

I would contact the lottery company. It is most interesting that you kept winning the same amount. I would have thought that winning tickets were supposed to be distributed pretty randomly so either it really has been a weird streak of luck or there were way too many 6 dollar prizes in your area. Was it a national or state lottery?

No it was a small cheap scratch off ticket I purchased at a chevron as well as a 7-11 in Southern California.
I would figure they set the winning tickets pretty far from each other when they make the roll but in one instance I won same amount after buying the 2 tickets back to back so they either had 2 - $6 winners next to each other or I am the luckiest person in town at that moment.

I'm pretty sure that the locations of winning tickets are randomized, at least it seems to me like that's how it is here. One time I won $50 on a 1$ scratch off, went back and bought two more of the same tickets and won $50 on the very next ticket I scratched off. Granted that has never happened to me again, but it would appear to me that, at least when it comes to that particular roll of tickets, the winning tickets were placed randomly and just happened to end up next to each other.

Unfortunately, that was something like 7 years ago and I've never even come close to winning that much money on a lottery ticket since then.

Back