• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sparks, Part II - The Empire Strikes Back

Mogwa said:
I've encountered Ms. Browne only once, on a television talk show. I beleive it was Montel Williams. During her interview there was a "reading session" of the audience. In a flash of miraculous paranormal insight, Ms. Browne informed a thrilled woman that one of her ancestors had been a Wiccan burned at the stake during the Salem witch trials. That must have come as quite a shock to anyone who can actually read in this reality. None of the tragic victims of the Salem persecutions were burned, every one of then sentenced to death was hung from the gallows.
Sylvia should have paid more attention in history class.

My favorite part of her schmaltz is when she tells some gullible fool that an ancestor was once a Mayan princess, or Egyptian priestess, or some other entity for which there is absolutely no way to verify the claim. Then, the fool smiles, thanks her, and sits down.

At the 130th reenactment of Gettysburg I attended a mass "past-life regression" clinic with well over 200 participants. (I only went because my Dad begged me to go with him, just out of morbid curiousity). Sure enough, the room was filled with Robert E. Lees, George Custers, Jefferson Davises, etc. - one even claimed to have been Mary Todd Lincoln. Alas, no common privates or nameless civilians. Everyone had been famous, and dozens of people were apparently sharing the same eternal, indestructible soul.

Folks will hear what they want to hear, and what they need to hear. That's how Ms. Browne makes a living.

hopeful skeptic said:
My favorite part of her schmaltz is when she tells some gullible fool that an ancestor was once a Mayan princess, or Egyptian priestess, or some other entity for which there is absolutely no way to verify the claim. Then, the fool smiles, thanks her, and sits down.

No, no, the best part is how she always adds "...and I don't say this sort of thing very often..." just before she pronounces the past life profession. Just once I'd like to hear: "You were an 17th century french whore and you died of syphillus." That'd sell me.

Capn, You were a 17th century french whore and died of syphilus.

And I gave it to you!

Love,
Christopher Columbus

David Biedny said:
Yeah, this is the second bad one this winter. My health could definitely be better, thanks for the well wishes.

dB

Hey David, hope you feel better. I`ve had a bad cold about a week now. What a drag. I didn`t look at all 9 plus pages in the thread but did anybody notice the following? In one of the interviews, 1or2, he states something to the effect that i`m a nuts and bolts kinda guy and like to know how things work. When asked about the ufo conference he says he doesn`t listen to other people or read books on the subject. When I heard this i visualized a diamond tip bullet striking me between the eyes( i guess the bullet represents an alarm). Anyway, if his mentality is that of a person who likes to know how things work, wouldnt he want all available data on the topic asap? I have a hard time believing he has never studied the subject. My guess is that he has read every book on the subject. Just listening to all the verbiage he uses in describing aliens etc shows he has. Anyway, thats my take.
I think David and Gene do a nice job on the interviews. We all know that asking hard questions has to be done with some diplomacy and tact. 2 thumbs up for Gene and Dave on that count. It is also easy for monday morning quarterbacks to say ``I would have asked_________ blahh blahh blahh. My personal view is most people wouldnt have the guts to ask the questions Gene and Dave ask. My proof? All of recorded history. Just listen to other shows. It`s usually an a__ kissing contest or a study in saying profound things like `` thats a very interesting concept`` Dave and Gene don`t play that silly game which is why the Paracast is at least 100 time better than any similar show.

ok back to being sick.

wildcat

I hear you. I don't believe for one moment that Jim Sparks doesn't research his subject. If I had the experiences he's claimed to have I would read every book I could lay my hands on.
Yes, snaps to Gene and David for how they handled the interviews. It can't be easy to ask the right questions and also not tick off your guest too much at the same time. But, yeah, some other shows have nothing but a love fest. Shows with Sylvia Browne, John Edward, and Uri Geller come to mind.
At the end of the Sparks interview I was curious as to who exactly the "people" were who accompanied Mr. Sparks and who were practically dragging him away. Isn't Jim a big boy who can handle his own affairs?
That all said, I do hope Jim returns some time in the future. As much as I highly doubt his claims, I find him a fun and interesting guest.

Ankhes said:
I hear you. I don't believe for one moment that Jim Sparks doesn't research his subject. If I had the experiences he's claimed to have I would read every book I could lay my hands on.
Yes, snaps to Gene and David for how they handled the interviews. It can't be easy to ask the right questions and also not tick off your guest too much at the same time. But, yeah, some other shows have nothing but a love fest. Shows with Sylvia Browne, John Edward, and Uri Geller come to mind.
At the end of the Sparks interview I was curious as to who exactly the "people" were who accompanied Mr. Sparks and who were practically dragging him away. Isn't Jim a big boy who can handle his own affairs?
That all said, I do hope Jim returns some time in the future. As much as I highly doubt his claims, I find him a fun and interesting guest.

The person dragging him away during the first interview was the PR person from the publishers of his book. He had to do a presentation, so his time was short. No conspiracies there, and it is true he came back to do a sequel in a later episode.

We're not sure about doing another interview with him or not. We'll see.

Gene Steinberg said:
The person dragging him away during the first interview was the PR person from the publishers of his book. He had to do a presentation, so his time was short. No conspiracies there, and it is true he came back to do a sequel in a later episode.

We're not sure about doing another interview with him or not. We'll see.

Ah, thanks! I had wondered. About another interview - fair enough! We'll see.
BTW, I'm a new listener and have all your episodes downloaded. It will take a while to catch up, but it will be worth it. Great show!

Hmmm...speaking of UFO contactees, I believe I read somewhere that Uri Geller Fraud, I mean "Freud," claims he has had contact with aliens. I was about to suggest maybe interviewing him, but I'm not sure that I, or anyone else for that matter, could stomach that much Geller at one time. :p

Ankhes said:
Ah, thanks! I had wondered. About another interview - fair enough! We'll see.
BTW, I'm a new listener and have all your episodes downloaded. It will take a while to catch up, but it will be worth it. Great show!

Hmmm...speaking of UFO contactees, I believe I read somewhere that Uri Geller Fraud, I mean "Freud," claims he has had contact with aliens. I was about to suggest maybe interviewing him, but I'm not sure that I, or anyone else for that matter, could stomach that much Geller at one time. :p

The whole Geller thing is problematic with me. I'm not sure what to make of him. I was convinced he was a fraud for sometime, but then Edgar Mitchell's The Way of the Explorer came out and I read it. Ed claims to have witness some REALLY remarkable things involving Geller. I have a hard time dismissing his claims. It was easy to think Uri was a fraud until reading that book. Now it's somewhat hard. I might try and find the details of one particular event and post it somewhere in the forums. I've come up short in explaning it in terms of a hoax, and would like to see if anyone else can think of how he did it.

A.LeClair said:
The whole Geller thing is problematic with me. I'm not sure what to make of him. I was convinced he was a fraud for sometime, but then Edgar Mitchell's The Way of the Explorer came out and I read it. Ed claims to have witness some REALLY remarkable things involving Geller. I have a hard time dismissing his claims. It was easy to think Uri was a fraud until reading that book. Now it's somewhat hard. I might try and find the details of one particular event and post it somewhere in the forums. I've come up short in explaning it in terms of a hoax, and would like to see if anyone else can think of how he did it.

Have you tried over at the JREF forums? You have to keep in mind that Geller is a magician and knows the tricks. The problem is, all the magicians know all the tricks. And Geller has been caught cheating so many times it isn't funny. That alone casts doubt on anything he does and says. And, as James Randi says, just because a non-magician can't see the slight of hand doesn't mean it isn't there.
Anyway, if you haven't visited the forums, please do so. I'll think you'll enjoy it! I won't post the quick link because this is the Paracast forums, but just Google "JREF forums" and it will come right up.
Also, if you like Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, they have some funny stuff on YouTube, one skit has Laurie parodying Geller. Pretty accurate, that!

Ankhes said:
Have you tried over at the JREF forums? You have to keep in mind that Geller is a magician and knows the tricks. The problem is, all the magicians know all the tricks. And Geller has been caught cheating so many times it isn't funny. That alone casts doubt on anything he does and says. And, as James Randi says, just because a non-magician can't see the slight of hand doesn't mean it isn't there.
Anyway, if you haven't visited the forums, please do so. I'll think you'll enjoy it! I won't post the quick link because this is the Paracast forums, but just Google "JREF forums" and it will come right up.
Also, if you like Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, they have some funny stuff on YouTube, one skit has Laurie parodying Geller. Pretty accurate, that!

The "trick" Geller reportedly was involved with, involved a personal item of Ed's that was unique, that he had lost before knowing Geller. Read Ed's book by chance?

I've visited the forums and been in contact with Randi off and on over the years.

I'm aware of the Carson flop with Geller. What are some of the examples you had in mind where he got caught cheating?

A.LeClair said:
The "trick" Geller reportedly was involved with, involved a personal item of Ed's that was unique, that he had lost before knowing Geller. Read Ed's book by chance?

I've visited the forums and been in contact with Randi off and on over the years.

I'm aware of the Carson flop with Geller. What are some of the examples you had in mind where he got caught cheating?

Off the top of my head, one time where he bends a spoon as he stands up at a dining table and you can see his tendons as he does it, and the latest debacle on his show in Israel where he is plainly seen pulling a magnet from behind his ear and slipping it on his thumb. It was all over YouTube and he complained endlessly about it.
I haven't read the book but I remember reading about it somewhere...I'll have to look. Now I am trying to remember...

There is always a third possibility: Geller might both be genuine, and a fraud. Don't laugh - if you have ever hung out with psychics, you know the pressures they are under, to perform to the same, high standards, day after day.

Genuine and mature psychics, mediums, and healers, will readily admit that they can't perform every day, whatever it might be they are well known for. However, less mature individuals may feel tempted to overcome their own limitations - and the limitations of paranormal work in general - by cheating whenever their natural powers don't produce the desired results.

musictomyears said:
There is always a third possibility: Geller might both be genuine, and a fraud. Don't laugh - if you have ever hung out with psychics, you know the pressures they are under, to perform to the same, high standards, day after day.

Genuine and mature psychics, mediums, and healers, will readily admit that they can't perform every day, whatever it might be they are well known for. However, less mature individuals may feel tempted to overcome their own limitations - and the limitations of paranormal work in general - by cheating whenever their natural powers don't produce the desired results.

No, I'm not laughing. I understand what you are saying. With Geller I just don't believe it, tho. People said the same thing about Eusapia Palladino; that she only cheated when she had to. Of course that begs the question of if she cheated once, how many other times did she? Why not all of them and just wasn't caught?
I do admit that if psychics do exist that your 3rd option may be correct. For me, I don't believe any of them. And I am less inclined even to consider Geller a possibility probably because I can't stand his attitude, his propensity of throwing out frivolous lawsuits, and insisting that he does with his mind what any amateur can do by simple trickery. That doesn't even count his frequent spectacular failures of being hired to "beam positive thoughts" to sports teams - and they lose, and his insisting that he alone prevented WW3 by "beaming positive thoughts" into the minds of higher-ups. :rolleyes:
So, if aliens have indeed contacted Geller, I, personally, would think the less of them for it. But that's just my opinion.
Mr. Sparks is more convincing to me than Geller could ever be, and again just for me, that's not saying a whole lot. : )

There are a few people who say there are inconsistencies with Spark's story but I haven't seen anybody point out what those are..
I've only found one. During his 2nd C2C interview he said he wasn't afraid of the real faces of the reptilians; this is a change from his book.

Ankhes said:
I am less inclined even to consider Geller a possibility probably because I can't stand his attitude, his propensity of throwing out frivolous lawsuits, and insisting that he does with his mind what any amateur can do by simple trickery.

I guess his attitude would put off a lot of people who otherwise might be interested in the subject. I also would like to put him in the "fraud" category, for that reason alone. But I can't: A few years ago, I watched him on TV. He was surrounded by children, and the moderator handed him a spoon. He hardly touched the spoon, and the camera kept focussing on Geller's hand. Geller never held the spoon with both hands (if I remember correctly) or turned his back towards the camera. However, he managed to bend the spoon with great ease, using only the thumb and index finger of one hand - the metal seemed to have turned into liquid. If this was a fraudulent act, the entire TV crew must have been in on it.

The magic touch

musictomyears said:
I guess his attitude would put off a lot of people who otherwise might be interested in the subject. I also would like to put him in the "fraud" category, for that reason alone. But I can't: A few years ago, I watched him on TV. He was surrounded by children, and the moderator handed him a spoon. He hardly touched the spoon, and the camera kept focussing on Geller's hand. Geller never held the spoon with both hands (if I remember correctly) or turned his back towards the camera. However, he managed to bend the spoon with great ease, using only the thumb and index finger of one hand - the metal seemed to have turned into liquid. If this was a fraudulent act, the entire TV crew must have been in on it.

The magic touch

Not necessarily. When Uri or his people have access to all the props beforehand it can be quite simple. That was the reason behind his huge Carson failure - Randi had warned Carson to not let Uri or any of his people near the items. And...wow. Uri failed. Big time. There have been demonstrations how props can easily be manipulated to the "near breaking point" but still look good. Then, when the cameras roll, the prop; in this case a spoon, will bend quite easily with only the slightest pressure. When Geller hasn't been able to handle the props beforehand that is when he uses simple misdirection.
But I don't let Geller put me off on the entire subject, just him. He has actually caused me to enjoy magicians more than ever, as odd as that may sound. Anyway, I'm glad you have interest in the subject, Geller involved or not. : )

The Hawk said:
There are a few people who say there are inconsistencies with Spark's story but I haven't seen anybody point out what those are..
I've only found one. During his 2nd C2C interview he said he wasn't afraid of the real faces of the reptilians; this is a change from his book.

Here's his C2C interview (plus mugshot). It is pretty consistant. But man... if you thought he was rambling on the Paracast... wow. Art rarely grabs the wheel to steer us back on track.

Here's the thing that I cannot figure out about the whole alien abduction phenomena.

These aliens would be technologically superior to humans.

How much information could they possibly get from sticking something in a human's ass?

That's the question that begs to be asked. Why not just openly visit this planet, instead of screwing around with people?

It's insane to think that an alien species with altruistic intentions would knowingly come to this planet, and not announce themselves. Doing stuff in secret when it would be incredibly remarkable to find another life form of even the most basic intellect? I can't believe it. In fact, I don't.

The ONLY reason that aliens would go out of their way to keep themselves secret from the world, is because they're not supposed to be here.

That, and they don't exist.

Back