• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Slow to get started.

tyder001

Paranormal Adept
Is it just me or have some other longtime posters been a little put off by the new format? I'm getting more used to it and I've started posting again. But, I did like the layout of the previous format. Still, everything changes so I'll see how this goes. I've just noticed a lot of people seem to be absent from the discussion. Could be the Christmas holidays have a little to do with it. Also, there are many new faces and that's a good thing. :cool:

i too found myself asking why i am not that interested in this forum anymore and i believe it is the new format. it isnt that bad but paracast forums are not my first stop every morning like it was in the past.

i too found myself asking why i am not that interested in this forum anymore and i believe it is the new format. it isnt that bad but paracast forums are not my first stop every morning like it was in the past.
I'm really curious to know why. We have had great response to the new design.

Is it just me or have some other longtime posters been a little put off by the new format? I'm getting more used to it and I've started posting again. But, I did like the layout of the previous format. Still, everything changes so I'll see how this goes. I've just noticed a lot of people seem to be absent from the discussion. Could be the Christmas holidays have a little to do with it. Also, there are many new faces and that's a good thing. :cool:
I suspect the holidays mostly reduced participation. I can't really see why the new format would put off people. It's much faster and easier to use.

i am not sure Gene. like i said the design is not that bad but i no longer have the desire to make these forums my first stop in the morning. maybe because not much interesting is happening lately in the ufo/paranormal arena and many of the old conspiracy "theories" are now fact.

I think the old format was just more user friendly. The current post were right there in big letters and it just seemed easier to keep up. The new forum puts the post over to the side and it's harder at first glance to see the order of the post. Still, I do think Christmas is a busy time and more than likely message boards and other activities take a back seat. Maybe this will grow on me. I do notice some of the older posters seem to be posting less but again that may just be a cycle and not something that will continue. Anyway, I haven't made it a regular stop myself lately. But, then here I am now so ya just never know. :p

There are different ways to see the current stuff. Recent Posts in the right sidebar shows them in the order in which they were posted. Click What's New in the navigation bar to see the rest.

Each separate board has a Latest link on the right side to let you see the most recent thread and who posted the message.

We also have a Popular Content feature in the navigation bar and the footer.

Don't know how we can make this any more obvious -- do you have any ideas? You have four ways to check the latest and greatest postings.

If you want to be alerted to the latest posts via email, click on a board, choose Watch Forum on the right, below the navigation bar, and select the options you want. That's five ways. :)

There is something about it that I don't like. I can't quite put my finger upon it. It's eye pleasing, but not as utilitarian as the previous incarnation of the board. I don't understand the "trophy" points either. I figured it was just me.

Trophy points is mostly based on the number of posts you make, that's all.

What we see is that a lot of users of our forum software, vBulletin, are leaving to get XenForo. It's a lot faster, you have to admit, and such things is uploading files and formatting messages are similar or simpler. There are a handful of add-ons I'd like to see, and I'd welcome suggestions and help if anyone feels they can manage a restyle.

I used to visit the forum almost daily to see what the latest chatter was, but not done so much since the alterations. I thought it was just me being "reluctant to engage in with change" - but obviously not.

I'm not sure I want "four ways to check the latest and greatest postings", just one clear one is enough and that's what we had before.

The forum just seems so broken up now; it used to look and work more or less like all the others I visit on various subjects which was great, but not any more. Perhaps the others will catch up...

Regards,

Ian

Well, Recent Posts should give you the essentials of what you want. I also expect there will be better add-ons as time goes by. The list is growing by the day.

The reason we look different is because XenForo is new, while vBulletin has been around for a number of years. I can see where things might be more familiar as a result with the older styles. But it's not as if it's possible to go back. But they do have themes that are somewhat more vBulletin-like if that's what you members want. I'd have to see what's involved in adapting.

Gene, I do appreciate your willingness to listen and take input. Maybe this one will grow on me. But, right now it's just not quite there. I feel simaliar to Xylo. I just have not been comfortable with it so far.

It's different. It took a while for the last forum redesign to meld and for members to get used to it. I had a helper, one of the active forum members, and we worked weeks and weeks to put it together. The rest of the updates were minor. This one was easy for me to style for the initial setup, since color integration worked well with our standard blue background. Indeed, I only had to spend a few hours sprucing things up before going live.

Beyond that, we may have to wait for some more add-ons to flesh out a few more features, such as a better way to present Recent Posts.

It's different. It took a while for the last forum redesign to meld and for members to get used to it. I had a helper, one of the active forum members, and we worked weeks and weeks to put it together. The rest of the updates were minor. This one was easy for me to style for the initial setup, since color integration worked well with our standard blue background.

Beyond that, we may have to wait for some more add-ons to flesh out a few more features, such as a better way to present Recent Posts.
There is a solid row of slow to get started posts. So I thought I would another one.

I like the new look and feel and it's always nice to have a change, which might also account for different reading habits as well. I think it has a clean look to it.

As with everything, it takes time to get used to new things. But the fundamentals of reading and posting messages are identical. Even better, if you use our Forum Watch feature, or just let yourself auto-susbcribe to new threads, you'll see a great HTML display of a posted message in your mailbox, if you allow HTML messaging.

This is actually a much better designed forum from a programming standpoint. The other was sloppy. I hope people will get used to it.

As with everything, it takes time to get used to new things. But the fundamentals of reading and posting messages are identical. Even better, if you use our Forum Watch feature, or just let yourself auto-susbcribe to new threads, you'll see a great HTML display of a posted message in your mailbox, if you allow HTML messaging. This is actually a much better designed forum from a programming standpoint. The other was sloppy. I hope people will get used to it.
I liked really the Thanks received/thanks given feature better than the new drippy FB-style "like" tag :( I also liked to see how many views posts received. And I also REALLY miss being able to upload media files from my computer without having to use an already existing embed from the 'net. I too am not crazy about the "what's new" feature, so I'll try the "recent posts" approach...

The ability to upload files is still there. It's better than on the older board, and labeled Upload a File. We can restore the board views if you want.

Like is meant for FB integration. The Thanks feature was an add-on with the old board. Maybe someone will develop one.

Back