• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sept. 29, 2013 Listener Roundtable

wwkirk

Paranormal Adept
It was great hearing from Mike and Goggs Mackay.

Regarding young people in ufology, doesn't the success of the brothers who won't be named show that there is a lot of youthful interest that just needs to be tapped?

About your discussion of Star Trek, I agree with Goggs and Mike that Spock's love affair didn't seem right.

Have to say I am really enjoying this show.
Playing it right now as I get some paper work done and it has me riveted, its matter of fact and honest discussion and I like it.
Also it is really good to hear a local accent on the show :) good to hear you Mike and hope to be on a round table with you some time.

Haven't had a chance to give it a listen yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm almost always interested to hear what Goggs and Mike have to say here on the forums, I'm sure it will be even better on the show.

Thanks Folks i really enjoyed the experience and would be happy to take part again

More on the Gene Roddenberry matter

In between the Star Trek TV series and the first Star Trek motion picture, Gene Roddenberry would find himself confronted with a real-world galactic Brotherhood. The ensuing drama would serve to be one of the strangest episodes recorded in the life of major Hollywood figure.

In early 1975, a broke and depressed Roddenberry was approached by a British former race car driver named Sir John Whitmore, who was associated with a strange organization called ‘Lab-9.’ Though unknown to the public, Lab-9 were ostensibly a sort of an independent version of the X-Files, dedicated to the research of paranormal phenomena. However, Lab-9 had another, more complex agenda- they later claimed to be in contact with a group of extraterrestrials called the ‘Council of Nine’ or simply ‘The Nine’, who had been communicating through ‘channelers’ or psychic mediums.

The Secret Sun: The Council of Nine and the Star Trek Pantheon

From Deep Space to the Nine | Star Trek | Specials | Fortean Times UK

As i mention on the show this story has been doing the rounds for a long time, i first read about before the internets were a household feature.

As to the truth of the story, who knows.

All of, Parts of, or None of it could be true.

But i always watch Star Trek with this story in mind, for me it adds that extra "i wonder.........." element

I agree, the whole popular media as a method of acclimatising us to an ET presence has long been an area of valid speculation within the genre.

Personally ive long held the view you need the technical jargon to understand a thing

Chariots of the gods as a description isnt imo as useful as structured craft using electro gravitic propulsion systems

Both media, and the technology behind the media ,strike me as useful ways to bring an emergent species up to speed if thats your plan.

I'm still listening to the program, but I wanted to say how much I've been enjoying and appreciating it. It's nice hearing what Mike and Goggs have to say - and nice knowing how Mike sounds on the radio. I also agree that there is an "Only in America" attitude, especially in terms of the role religion plays on our everyday lives. So much of this program has just been like a breath of fresh air. I'm looking forward to the next time you have them as guests, again.

(Ahem.) Chris, I'm female. Believe it or not, many of us aren't looking for a romance in a science fiction film. Please don't stoop to absurd stereotypes and assume we're all looking for romance in every film, every book, and every magazine we see. Some of us are actually into things called "plot" and aren't wanting that hijacked by some silly smarmy content.

I'm in complete agreement with Goggs and Mike. I thought the Spock's romance was entirely out of character and actually distracted from the overall quality of the film.

This deserves a show if we can find a victim to serve as the expert on the subject.

More info here

The Council of Nine

Roddenberry was part of that circle in 1974 and 1975, and even produced the screenplay for a movie about The Nine. How much he was influenced by them is unknown, although it is said that some of their concepts found their way into the early Star Trek movies, and The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (what a giveaway!) series.

Another enjoyable show. Way to go Mike and Goggs!

I like these listener round tables because they open up a whole range of entertaining possibilities ranging from science fiction like Star Trek to highly contentious theories like some sort of "evolutionary imperative" that acts as a "survival mechanism programmed into the collective unconscious". No doubt the skeptics will call such an idea totally ridiculous, but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that humans are too far evolved to be happy going back to living in the jungle, and when we go outside and look up at a clear night sky, the stars do seem to speak to something deep within us ( or at least some of us ) that can be felt on an emotional level. It calls us toward them. We want to go there.

That being said, I don't think Perkins' theory causes us to manifest UFOs on radarscopes. But I do believe that this drive to explore space may be not be unique to humans and that it may have already motivated other species to explore space. After all, why should we be the only ones to be drawn toward space exploration? Why not other highly evolved species? I can easily imagine an alien on another world looking up at their night sky and being drawn by the same "evolutionary imperative", which means it's entirely possible that they're ahead of us and have already been here. So the ETH and the "evolutionary imperative" theory don't have to be mutually exclusive. IMO, with a little refinement and an open mind, they could be seen as very harmonious.

Last edited:
(Ahem.) Chris, I'm female. Believe it or not, many of us aren't looking for a romance in a science fiction film. Please don't stoop to absurd stereotypes and assume we're all looking for romance in every film, every book, and every magazine we see. Some of us are actually into things called "plot" and aren't wanting that hijacked by some silly smarmy content.
Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but sometimes I serve up a drier-than-usual sense of humor. Many of my favorite writers, directors and editors are women, fwiw….

As a listener when I listen to the paracast I can't help but stick the shows together in continuity as a lot of the topics have intconnectedness anyway: so to have a show like this from the observers point of view is important to get a fuller more rounded picture. I liked their positions and goggs and mikes views are indicative of the quality and discernment of participator at the paracast. If you listen to other shows or read the forums from other so called paranormal shows the standard is way down in terms of professionalism, guests participation, questions and quality of listeners/participators, I mean we are talking brain dead sycophantic consumerist believer nut jobs.

seems I missed something here, good to see Mike was able to arrange his schedule. It's my duty to download and avoid this thread so as not to see any spoilers.

Wait...I thought this was the Walter White/ Breaking Bad thread. My Bad.

why this show became a favourite for me: i had a minor personal revelation around the inability for us to get our nuts and bolts straight because we can't come to understand why even that question is a still a problem. perhaps trying to physically erect the smooth saucer is not the point at all?

(i know ufology will set me straight on that one, but then i think that promoting magic and irrationalism might help us to gain a little more traction both in life and in understanding UFO's. after all, isn't materialism just something for people who believe in giant BMW SUV's?)

i really enjoyed hearing what @mike sounded like. perhaps i missed it revealed elsewhere in the forums, but i always took your unbridled enthusiasm and plethora of diverse knowledges and pursuits to be the product of an ultra vital younger person in their late 30's, or early 40's, not retired and enjoying the luxuries of getting to do whatever you want to do - good for you. it all makes sense. loved hearing about your house and wildlife collection, not to mention all the models -it sounds pleasantly surreal. i really enjoyed getting to hear you, your accent, and Goggs - such a great plurality of voices. BTW when will we have a female Paracast forum poster on the show? as @nameless pointed out above, shows that respect listeners and open up the discussion to interact with their audience on this level are simply wildly excellent!

but this is what rocked me:
a transcript from the closing sequence by @Christopher O'Brien on Survival and Propagation

"We may be just part of a sequence of events that somehow is being propelled by these basic instincts. To me i think that there is a possibility that on some level we may be supplying ourselves with the impetus to jumpstart this particular survival mechanism. and, you know, where the ending is where the beginning was, is totally open for discussion and interpretation. but i think a lot of this is slight of hand by the collective to fool ourselves into making sure that we do the right thing."

it reminded me of the moment that i understood how ouija boards worked amongst people on planchettes, especially my own experiences of guilt and conscience in what we talked to the dead about, or how radical table tipping with just fingertips can create paranormal experiences out of real physical manifestations by those participating in the event. they remain completely ignorant to the fact that they are the ones responsible for tipping the table and we also move the planchette.

We do it together, blindly.

Jerome Clark says we don't have a language or a vocabulary to speak about these things whose moments of documented radar contact and trace evidence are few and fleeting. Maybe we should start with the language of the trickster; because, that is one we know, and it parallels the phenomenon a lot more accurately than any of our rationalism has ever helped us to understand.

his closing talk led me to this article and it made more sense to me than most of what i've heard from in ufology in a long time - perhaps i'm reading the wrong material? it also illuminated that repeated theme that shows up around here on the forum a lot about how those who investigate UFO's too deeply are also likely to destabilize.

For Hansen, the trickster is the pre-eminent embodiment of all the paranormal, preternatural and anti-structural forces that the rationalisation process is attempting to stamp out. Hansen offers words of warning: “When the supernatural and irrational are banished from consciousness, they are not destroyed, rather they become exceedingly dangerous.” He also has words of caution for UFO and paranormal researchers who might be frivolously tempted to tangle with the trickster and his domain, warning of personal destabilisation, a loss of critical judgement, wrecked careers, ruined marriages and general “trickster-induced irrationality”. Ouch!

Tangling With the Trickster: Myth, Magic and the UFO. David Perkins | MAGONIA

Last edited:
Back