• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Past Life

EvolloveInward

Paranormal Novice
I have a strong obsession with the Vietnam War, the late 1960's, Woodstock and San Francisco. One that I can't make any sense of. While I have not had any weird recurring dreams about fighting a war. Except one about being in a jet releasing Napalm. I have also had the same one about San Francisco several times. I've always hated Lyndon B Johnson. For unknown reasons (until I looked him up. Now I understand). And when I was 11-12 years old, I started listening to the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors etc. I don't even remember how I even found any of those bands? While both my parents were in their 20's in the 60's. Neither of them listened to any of those bands while I was growing up. They are as goody goody as one gets. They were the opposite of hippies. Still are. I also have had the same recurring dream about mountain lions for 27 years. Which has led to my irrational fear of mountain lions.

I believe in past lives and I know I have had many. As well of pretty much the whole worlds population have. I'm trying to understand where this affinity and obsession with this time period, the war and Frisco comes from.

Does anyone out there have any information they could give me on past lives? And if you don't believe in them. Please don't respond and tell me they don't exist. I'm looking for serious answers and help.

Welcome to the forum.
... Does anyone out there have any information they could give me on past lives?
Why Afterlives are Impossible:
The same reasoning can be applied to reincarnation. At best, what people assume is reincarnation can only be some sort of unexplained acquisition of information. You are still your own unique person living in the now, not some reconstituted other person who lived in the past.
And if you don't believe in them. Please don't respond and tell me they don't exist. I'm looking for serious answers and help.
Too late now. If you're going to limit any help that could be offered to only what you want to believe, then feel free to ignore those posts that don't fit your paradigm. On the other hand, if truth matters to you, you might want to open-up your perspective.

Also, all fair-minded discussion is allowed here. Believers and non-believers alike are free to post their views provided they are in keeping with our forum standards. If you want a private believers-only discussion, then you can start a private discussion. To start a private discussion:
  • Find a member you would like to invite into the conversation.
  • Mouseover their avatar, or select it on your touch screen.
  • Select "Start conversation"
  • Follow the prompts

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Why Afterlives are Impossible:
The same reasoning can be applied to reincarnation. At best, what people assume is reincarnation can only be some sort of unexplained acquisition of information. You are still your own unique person living in the now, not some reconstituted other person who lived in the past.

Too late now. If you're going to limit any help that could be offered to only what you want to believe, then feel free to ignore those posts that don't fit your paradigm. On the other hand, if truth matters to you, you might want to open-up your perspective.

Also, all fair-minded discussion is allowed here. Believers and non-believers alike are free to post their views provided they are in keeping with our forum standards. If you want a private believers-only discussion, then you can start a private discussion. To start a private discussion:
  • Find a member you would like to invite into the conversation.
  • Mouseover their avatar, or select it on your touch screen.
  • Select "Start conversation"
  • Follow the prompts
Thanks for your response...you gave me some things to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a strong obsession with the Vietnam War, the late 1960's, Woodstock and San Francisco. One that I can't make any sense of. While I have not had any weird recurring dreams about fighting a war. Except one about being in a jet releasing Napalm. I have also had the same one about San Francisco several times. I've always hated Lyndon B Johnson. For unknown reasons (until I looked him up. Now I understand). And when I was 11-12 years old, I started listening to the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors etc. I don't even remember how I even found any of those bands? While both my parents were in their 20's in the 60's. Neither of them listened to any of those bands while I was growing up. They are as goody goody as one gets. They were the opposite of hippies. Still are. I also have had the same recurring dream about mountain lions for 27 years. Which has led to my irrational fear of mountain lions.

I believe in past lives and I know I have had many. As well of pretty much the whole worlds population have. I'm trying to understand where this affinity and obsession with this time period, the war and Frisco comes from.

Does anyone out there have any information they could give me on past lives? And if you don't believe in them. Please don't respond and tell me they don't exist. I'm looking for serious answers and help.

I have just watched old episodes of Unsolved Mysteries about people who have experienced this. Then I watched a video where a psychologist explained it away as false memory. The problem with her viewpoint is that a very small boy had memories of being shot down in an airplane in World War II. He could not have read about the man who was shot down. He started having nightmares at about two years of age and would tell his mother that he was being shot down and other facts. He knew the name of the man, where he was shot down, what type of plane and other information. He had no way of knowing this. He is a true case of a past life experience, completely credible. It does exist. Science just doesn't yet want to admit it.

Can you prove your past life to yourself? I had my issues with it too, I let go because I realized that I can't really prove my imaginary past life even to myself.
Ever heard of false memories, amnesia or memory disorder? You should always think about that first! But most importantly, if you have seen the footage of war before your dreams, it's unfair to say that it's a part of your past life, wouldn't you agree?! Why haven't you remembered it before the footage?

Be careful with the past, it's a beast that can darken your life forever. If I were you I would try to let go of it while it still haven't changed me!

Can you prove your past life to yourself? I had my issues with it too, I let go because I realized that I can't really prove my imaginary past life even to myself.
Ever heard of false memories, amnesia or memory disorder? You should always think about that first! But most importantly, if you have seen the footage of war before your dreams, it's unfair to say that it's a part of your past life, wouldn't you agree?! Why haven't you remembered it before the footage?

Be careful with the past, it's a beast that can darken your life forever. If I were you I would try to let go of it while it still haven't changed me!
I don't know of any past life. I am referring to other people. The proof, to me, was a boy too young to have false memories. Please explain him.

The only way that I can begin to understand this subject is to think of deja vu. I don't believe that I have had any past life experiences. However, I do have deja vu. I have heard many speculations as to what deja vu is. I know what it is in my life. I have dreams then they come true. So, I will have a dream of a particular place that I have never visited. Then I will wind up there and know that I dreamed it previously.

Psychologists state that we only piece together things which we have previously seen. So, every person in our dream is someone we have seen somewhere. Every building is a building we have seen on TV or in a picture or somewhere. But what if you have never been to that place before and have never seen anything like it? When I wake from deja vu dreams, I think that I have seen amazingly strange buildings or locations (I never have deja vu with people).

These are things that I marvel at because they are unlike anything that I have knowledge of. But then I wind up going to these places for one reason or another and I see that they are real. This is not something that I have seen on TV or in a book. So, with past life, I would guess that it is similar. It is probably, as you seem to state, something that you had no way of knowing.

Your parents didn't listen to the musical groups in question. None of the other things were anything that you had previously encountered. This sounds like a true past life experience. You should try to follow that. You should try to find out who had your life before you. I am fairly certain that it would be a deceased Vietnam veteran. Do any names come to mind? Is there any clue that you can find to learn who this person was?

I believe in past lives and I know I have had many.
There are those of us who like their beliefs challenged, and if nobody does it for us, we do it for ourselves, because we know that by being proven wrong, we have moved closer to the truth. Such is the case with me and my former belief in such things as past lives, afterlives, and reincarnation. Here's an explanation: Why Afterlives Are Impossible.

There are those of us who like their beliefs challenged, and if nobody does it for us, we do it for ourselves, because we know that by being proven wrong, we have moved closer to the truth. Such is the case with me and my former belief in such things as past lives, afterlives, and reincarnation. Here's an explanation: Why Afterlives Are Impossible.

You argument is very interesting. However, science states that energy is never destroyed. Yes, our bodies are cremated or buried after we die. That is what happens to the matter in our bodies but what happens to the energy inside us? It goes somewhere. The question is what state is that energy in when released from the body? Does it maintain its intelligence or is just random particles? Physicists and mathematicians have lately determined, scientifically, that the universe is mathematical in nature. It does have order. Would our released energy not also have order? Maybe or maybe not. We don't know. We do know that upon death our energy is released into the universe. Scientists have not yet discovered what form that energy is in. That discovery will occur in the future as science progresses.

You argument is very interesting. However, science states that energy is never destroyed. Yes, our bodies are cremated or buried after we die. That is what happens to the matter in our bodies but what happens to the energy inside us? It goes somewhere. The question is what state is that energy in when released from the body? Does it maintain its intelligence or is just random particles? Physicists and mathematicians have lately determined, scientifically, that the universe is mathematical in nature. It does have order. Would our released energy not also have order? Maybe or maybe not. We don't know. We do know that upon death our energy is released into the universe. Scientists have not yet discovered what form that energy is in. That discovery will occur in the future as science progresses.
Keep thinking. Over time it will all become clearer. The scientific reference you referred to is called Conservation of Energy. To understand it, one needs a clearer understanding of what scientists mean by energy. They do not mean some ethereal spiritual essence. It is the capacity to do work, which is essentially the ability to cause change.

There are all sorts of properties of humans that can be interpreted as energy. Heat is a primary example. It comes from biochemical processes, which are essentially changes in our atomic, molecular, and cellular parts. It is these processes that together allow us to function as living beings, and it is these processes, that all evidence suggests, gives rise to our consciousness. So when our bodies cease to function, consciousness ceases to exist.

As an analogy, we often hear it said that our spirit is the light inside us. This is a very good analogy. But those who nod at that analogy usually fail to think it all the way through. If our spirit, or consciousness, or personality, whatever word works for you is the light, then that makes our bodies the lantern or the lightbulb. So when the light is switched off, it's not that anything has changed form. The light is simply no longer being produced. It's lights out.

Last edited:
Keep thinking. Over time it will all become clearer. The scientific reference you referred to is called Conservation of Energy. To understand it, one needs a clearer understanding of what scientists mean by energy. They do not mean some ethereal spiritual essence. It is the capacity to do work, which is essentially the ability to cause change.

There are all sorts of properties of humans that can be interpreted as energy. Heat is a primary example. It comes from biochemical processes, which are essentially changes in our atomic, molecular, and cellular parts. It is these processes that together allow us to function as living beings, and it is these processes, that all evidence suggests, gives rise to our consciousness. So when our bodies cease to function, consciousness ceases to exist.

As an analogy, we often hear it said that our spirit is the light inside us. This is a very good analogy. But those who nod at that analogy usually fail to think it all the way through. If our spirit, or consciousness, or personality, whatever word works for you is the light, then that makes our bodies the lantern or the lightbulb. So when the light is switched off, it's not that anything has changed form. The light is simply no longer being produced. It's lights out.

Yes, I know that it is the law of Conservation of Energy. I study physics. As far as the type of energy that I am referring to, we have electricity in our bodies in our nervous systems including in our brains and within our hearts. Our hearts are powered by electrical energy. Additionally, we and everything we can see and experience is a collection of atoms. Atoms are made up of particles. Most of those particles are energy. Only one that I know of, the Higgs Boson, is matter. More may be discovered in the future. I am speaking of the energy particles of atoms. After all, physicists have discovered that with quantum entanglement, atoms can remain connected over very long distances. Additionally, in the double slit experiment, it was found that when people view atoms, they change the paths of those atoms.

Basically, what I am saying is that there is energy at an atomic level within human bodies. That does not disappear when someone dies. So, what happens to it? Is it just simply dispersed or does it maintain structure as with physical bodies, trees, rocks and other objects to create forms? Does that remain after death? Does anyone have any idea about this? I haven't seen any scientific journal articles reporting that physicists have proven what does occur to energy following the death of an individual. I do monitor several physics journals for new discoveries.

Yes, I know that it is the law of Conservation of Energy. I study physics. As far as the type of energy that I am referring to, we have electricity in our bodies in our nervous systems including in our brains and within our hearts. Our hearts are powered by electrical energy.
So you know how when you cut off the source of the electricity to a light, the light goes out, right? The same basic principle applies. It's not that the electrical energy has changed form into some ectoplasmic electricity that goes off into some mystery realm. It's that there simply isn't any of it there anymore. The circuit is "dead".
Additionally, we and everything we can see and experience is a collection of atoms. Atoms are made up of particles. Most of those particles are energy. Only one that I know of, the Higgs Boson, is matter. More may be discovered in the future. I am speaking of the energy particles of atoms. After all, physicists have discovered that with quantum entanglement, atoms can remain connected over very long distances. Additionally, in the double slit experiment, it was found that when people view atoms, they change the paths of those atoms.
Those are loosely related concepts that have no bearing on the possibility of an afterlife.
Basically, what I am saying is that there is energy at an atomic level within human bodies. That does not disappear when someone dies. So, what happens to it? Is it just simply dispersed or does it maintain structure as with physical bodies, trees, rocks and other objects to create forms?
What happens to the energy within the materials that makeup our bodies after we die depends on a variety of environmental and chemical variables. These are very basic concepts that anyone with a grade-school level education would ( or at least should ) understand, and they have nothing to do with afterlives.
Does that remain after death? Does anyone have any idea about this?
Yes scientists have a really good idea about that.
I haven't seen any scientific journal articles reporting that physicists have proven what does occur to energy following the death of an individual. I do monitor several physics journals for new discoveries.
You don't need a science journal to work it out. Like I said before, a common form of energy produced by the human body is heat. Upon death, the processes in our bodies that create heat stop functioning, and if the temperature of the environment is lower than that of the body, the body begins to cool toward a thermal equilibrium with the environment.

Personally I find this all a bit morbid, but there's plenty of studies out there. Maybe start here: The Stages Of Human Decomposition | Aftermath Services

These are really basic concepts. There is no magical afterplace where the heat from dead people goes, and heat is not in and of itself a living thing, other than perhaps in an allegorical sense e.g. "If the fire is still alive, don't forget to kill it before leaving your campsite." I'm really sorry if these truths conflict with your ideas about afterlives, but don't you think it's better to know them than believe in nonsense?

NOTE: This isn't to say that I don't believe strange things happen ( they do ), and we don't always have a scientific explanation, but that doesn't mean we should jump to the first available alternative explanation either. If your personal experiences are out of the ordinary and important to you, by all means, explore them.

Just don't settle for easy popular answers unless the evidence supports it, and trust me, in the case of afterlives, reincarnation, and other similar notions, there is no substantial reasoning or evidence to believe any of it is what people typically interpret it to be. At best, any unexplained memory is only some sort of acquisition of information. You still remain you, a unique individual in the history of the universe, not some reconstituted dead person.

Last edited:
Back