• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Nick Redfern, Close Encounters of the Fatal Kind — 7/6/14

I recall it being more than one, and we did cover some ground that was addressed in the questions without asking them. But when you get Nick on, each answer raises new questions, so you never get to everything.

Nick's one of those guys who has a wealth of information bouncing around in his head. It's easy, I think, for him to run out of time when replying to even a few questions.

In the end, a great show and the book's mildly entertaining as well. Worth taking a few hours to read.

I recall it being more than one, and we did cover some ground that was addressed in the questions without asking them. But when you get Nick on, each answer raises new questions, so you never get to everything.

i agree b.t.w. I noticed that Nick is still listed in the "our cast" section perhaps now that he's cutting back on the book writing...at least the Paranormal conspiracy related ones...He can be an occastional host on the show. "With Gene and Chris and Nick and you're on the ....."

Also I admire Nick for having the sense to stop now that, in his opinion, he's pretty much covered it all and sees no need to rehash the same stories in different compilations. Good on ya Nick.

"...now that he's cutting back on the book writing..."

No, I'm not cutting back on the book writing at all. In fact, the opposite. What I'm doing is stopping writing UFO books that specifically have conspiracy themes - and that's all I'm doing. I will still be writing UFO books, but specifically without the cover-up (etc) angle.

I feel I have gone as far as I want to in that area of UFO conspiracy writing. And, no (in case anyone brings it up) that's not because the MIB have been knocking on the door, but because I think I have covered enough (Roswell, Collins Elite, MIB, Area 51, NASA, Dulce, government FOIA files etc etc etc) to allow me to move on.

I'm already working on another UFO book (that, as per my words above, has zero to do with conspiracies), and I am working on an MIB book that is solely occult-based in terms of their origins and that has no conspiracy-based angle/material in there.

And I want to spend more time on my other big interest: cryptozoology.

I can't say I'll never write another book with conspiracy themes (such as something like an unsolved murder or similar) but that would be a totally down-to-earth book and not Fortean in any way at all. But I can say with absolute 100 percent certainty I won't be doing another UFO-themed conspiracy book.

Your cryptozoology books are great reading Nick so I'm pleased to hear you'll be spending more time writing on the subject.

I'm a big fan of your books and it was Three Men Seeking Monsters that got me really into reading your books. I was really interested in the underlying theme of 'Cormons' - is this an area you might revisit in the future?

Yes! More crypto stuff would be great Nick. What's Adam Davies up to? Is he still looking for the Orang Pendek?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ps. Nick... I was saddened that your " The Paracast" ad-libs were very normal for this episode. With Chris having retired his "trickster" voice I was hoping for one of your freakouts lol

Nick's new book Close Encounters of the Fatal Kind comes across as an exercise in Six Degrees of Separation ( or less ) between people who had untimely deaths and some aspect of the UFO phenomenon. Nick even tells us the connections are somewhat tenuous, and alludes to what he sees as a tendency for those interested in this subject matter to see sinister shadows when there's nothing really there. I have to agree. I'm familiar with every one of the cases discussed because they're strewn among the pages of numerous books in my own rather extensive collection.

So why then, knowing the above, do I still find it all so morbidly fascinating? I have to admit that perhaps I'm among those in ufology who can't help but feel on an instinctual level, that with all the connections, tenuous or otherwise, that there is some element of truth that shouldn't be offhandedly dismissed. Because of that, whether I take every case seriously or not, I still find the subject entertaining and informative in a historical context. So having a handy collection of all these cases in a single recent volume is just way too good to pass up.

Good show :cool:

Last edited:
Your cryptozoology books are great reading Nick so I'm pleased to hear you'll be spending more time writing on the subject.

I'm a big fan of your books and it was Three Men Seeking Monsters that got me really into reading your books. I was really interested in the underlying theme of 'Cormons' - is this an area you might revisit in the future?

Yeah, I will definitely be digging into that, and the ties with these creatures being more "thought-form"/Tulpa-based than flesh and blood.

Thanks Nick. As always, an excellent interview and I'll be buying the book! :)

Ps. Adam Davies would also be an excellent guest. A man that has gotten his boots dirty and gone on expeditions looking for fabled creatures.

Hey, Nick - I heard you on some other podcasts as well (I've been "stalking" you since I heard you here first!) and I have to admit that one of the conversations you had about too many people in the STI program in England met the same demise. Most of these deaths aren't random - they're all inter-conceited - but I'm wondering if there has been an up-tick in mental illness as the result of working in the aerospace field.

My dad had some strange encounters/experiences and as the result he was never "the same" or "normal."

Walt Schnabel, the author of "Blood Club" is a friend of mine ad he's been encouraging me on this project for a couple of years. There are some things I can't talk or write about until I get the "go ahead" by a specific party or two. If Nick Redfern changes his mind I would love to collaborate with him, too.

There are two things I can tell you that’s going to be in my “Unauthorized Autobiography” that’s already in print. First – my so-called book opens with me getting a verbal smack down and denied a travel visa because of my father’s career.

I was supposed to travel with a group of students to the former Soviet Union as part of a cultural exchange program. We all had to have background checks to make sure we didn’t have any criminal records or that our parents weren’t in highly sensitive areas. One afternoon I was called into Mr. Lewis’s office and there were two strange men in suits standing behind him and they said nothing.

Mr. Lewis said; “Eric, you’ve been denied a travel visa because of your father’s career in the military and industry.”

I had no idea what they were talking about since I hadn’t spoken to him since 1975 and I was only 5 years old. That did explain my mom’s total “irrational” fear of us getting kidnapped by “strange men” but would never elaborate what kind of strange men. We used to receive sever beatings if we ever talked about him in public and were instructed to tell people he was either dead or out of the country.

So that was the basis of the first conversation I had with him in 12 years and started me on a 10 year long adventure with him doing some pretty sketchy things when I went to live with him...

If there’s a sign that said “Warning – No Trespassing” we would do crazy things like stand on the other side of them while the other took the picture. That’s just one example.

The second thing I can tell you is that thanks to my own writings I’ve been put on watch lists and had a visit from the DHS. I wrote an article critical of the TSA with the basic thesis that if the Government can’t keep their files out of the hands of Wikileaks then what’s to say they can keep the “nude” photos they take of your wife and kids out of the laptops of perverts?

I know that Nick Redfern said that he was done with stories about UFO’s and Government conspiracies – but I would like to know if he’s ever going to do about mental health problems people have after working in “The Industry.” Are people who work for “The Industry” already crazy and those are the ones they recruit or does it happen to them over time?

Last edited:
Back