• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My experience- A series of odd occurrences

RachelB

Paranormal Novice
A few weeks ago, I woke up, and... some things were different.

I own pet chickens, and feed them every morning before starting my day. They all ran out to greet me, except one, which I remember to have (a black Copper Maran) was not in the chicken run. All the others were still there, including one which I do not remember ( a barred rock). I called my boyfriend at work (no answer) and then texted him, telling him that Lenore (name of black chicken) was missing, and there was a strange chicken in our chicken run. I searched all over the yard for her, thinking she might have flown the coop, but couldn't find her.

He texted back, along the tunes of "what are you talking about? Who is Lenore?" He had no idea what I was talking about. I then sent him a picture of the strange chicken, who he then named. Apparently, we have never owned a Copper Maran, and have had this barred rock for about seven months (approximately around the same time I remember buying the Copper Maran.) When he came home, he showed me numerous pictures on his phone of this barred rock with our other chickens, going back months. There were no pictures of the copper Maran. In going through my own phone, I also found many pictures of the barred rock, none of the Copper Maran. In the face of all of this evidence of this black chicken never existing except in my head, I wrote this off as a bizarre, but harmless occurrence of me being wrong, though it felt like my memories were right, and all of this undeniable evidence was wrong, however illogical. (Not sure if I am explaining that correctly? Hopefully someone knows what that means/feels like)

This same day, while texting back and forth about this strange chicken and the whereabouts of the nonexistent one with him, I was trying to go about my day as normal. While straightening up the bedroom and stripping the sheets to be washed, I noticed the bedside table on my side of the bed had been refinished. I refinish our furniture as a hobby, but had not gotten to the table yet. I'd purchased the table, along with a roll top desk, at an antiques flea market some two months prior, but the table was in better condition than the desk (just a few scratches on the top tabletop, and legs) so I'd decided to use the table as-is for awhile, and refinish the desk first. In my memory, I was nearly done sanding down the desk, the bedside table had not been started yet, but... there it was, finished, and after going into the garage to check on the desk, it hadn't been started yet. It was in the same condition as the day I brought it home. When I brought this up with my boyfriend, he again stated that I was wrong... and showed me, on my Facebook, a post I'd made three weeks prior, when the bedside table was finished being sanded, and ready to be oiled. By this point, he was worried and began questioning my stress level. I also began questioning and doubting my own mind.

While going through my phone, I noticed other strange things... pictures I remember taking are gone, other pictures I don't remember taking are there. For example, I remember my neighbor's dog getting stuck in the drainage pipe under my driveway, approximately three months ago, and taking a photo of him after being pulled out, covered in mud, still holding the ball he'd gone in to retrieve, but... it didn't happen. I remember it clearly, remember both my boyfriend and neighbor (the dog's owner) trying to coax him out, push him through, and pull him out, but... my boyfriend does not remember it, the photo is not on my phone, and my neighbor...he has apparently been deployed for five months, and went on leave a few weeks prior to deploying, taking the dog to stay with his parents during his deployment. In fact, I have an email on my phone from him shortly after he deployed, asking if I could go over and cover his grill, he'd left it uncovered.

I have noticed other, small incidences... things not being in their set place, but arranged somewhere else. Books which I don't remember purchasing in my home, and books I remember purchasing not there. In fact, I told my boyfriend the names of a few books, and told him the plotlines...but I had apparently not read them or purchased them, but can remember reading them. Not just the contents of the books, but where I was while reading them, what I was drinking, how long it took me to finish, and in some cases, remember what I was wearing while reading them.

I was going to write this off as some bizarre occurence of just...losing my mind, but couldn't shake the feeling. The chicken incident... I remember purchasing the chicken after reading an ad on Craigslist, a man selling other chickens. I remember contacting him. I remember driving to his home, seeing the chickens he had listed, seeing the black Maran, and asking him if he'd sell that one instead. And I remember that he did.

I took my boyfriend with me, and we drove to this man's home. Mostly it was to prove to myself that this was all in my mind, that I'd never gone to this man's house, never bought a chicken, that I couldn't find this house because it was all in my head. But, when I arrived, I found the house. We knocked on the door, and asked if had sold a copper Maran seven months previously. We were expecting him to say he did not own chickens, certainly not a copper Maran (they are not a very common chicken)...and we were both amazed when he said, yes, he had...but to his neighbor. When I asked if he'd ever listed it on Craigslist, he stated no, he'd never considered selling her until his neighbor offered to buy her. Which is exactly the same thing that happened when I bought her. I found the house again, after apparently having never been there, and it was the right house, with the same chicken...

This is the only thing I have that "proves" that I'm not completely crazy, and I realize it's irrational to believe that, but I have no idea what is wrong in my head, that I have memories of things which haven't happened, and no memories of things I have proof that happened.

Am I crazy? What could be wrong with me? I don't trust my own memories, even though they feel right.

Very strange, these memories or non-memories. I was going to ask if you were taking medication, such as valium or anything like a benzodiaz, but that wouldn't explain finding the house of the guy who you remember being sold the very same chicken he had actually sold his neighbor. Adding to that the furniture puzzle, I would also think myself in a twilight zone episode.

Very strange, these memories or non-memories. I was going to ask if you were taking medication, such as valium or anything like a benzodiaz, but that wouldn't explain finding the house of the guy who you remember being sold the very same chicken he had actually sold his neighbor. Adding to that the furniture puzzle, I would also think myself in a twilight zone episode.

Yes, my boyfriend and I both agree that, however tentative proof that may be, it's enough that we both don't think I'm completely crazy about this... Not completely, although I realize it sounds, and believe me, feels crazy.

The oddest part, to him, is that, when thinking about our neighbor, the one who has been deployed for five months, he also does not remember him deploying. He only *knows* that he is deployed. By that, I mean, he doesn't remember any conversation with the neighbor about deploying either, or remember how he knows our neighbor took his dog on leave to stay with his parents...he only just *knows* it. Does that make sense?

He says when he tries to think back to a specific incident, to remember a conversation with the neighbor, where either the deployment, or plans for the dog's care during the deployment, are mentioned, he can't remember it either... he only just knows. He also says that trying to remember in detail brings on a headache for him, that it *feels* like he is pushing into his memories and trying to bring them into focus, but that it *feels* like his memories are pushing back? I don't have that issue.

Neither of us are taking any prescription medication... I am currently taking prenatal vitamins, but that's it.

If these things are actually happening as described, and reality really is being rewritten for both you and boyfriend, then the only possibility is that you have been recently deposited into the same ancestor simulation we all must be living in, but whoever is programming your life experience is not doing a very good job. The whole story is something inbetween a more recent David Lynch movie and Upstream Colour. I'm waiting for the return of the neighbour for future confrmations. What other rewritings of your life script are taking place?

If these things are actually happening as described, and reality really is being rewritten for both you and boyfriend, then the only possibility is that you have been recently deposited into the same ancestor simulation we all must be living in, but whoever is programming your life experience is not doing a very good job. The whole story is something inbetween a more recent David Lynch movie and Upstream Colour. I'm waiting for the return of the neighbour for future confrmations. What other rewritings of your life script are taking place?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what any of that means? The question, do you mean, what other things have been different? Pictures on my phone are missing, others are there which I don't remember. I own a purple plaid flannel shirt, but I remember buying a blue one. My pantry and cabinets have been rearranged. I drink a different brand of coffee, I've found red meat in the freezer, and leftovers in the fridge containing red meat, even though I gave red meat up years ago. I bite my nails now, never did before.

This whole thing just seems really crazy. I'm not sure what a life script or rewriting or ancestor simulation is?...but if someone were really messing with my mind or my life... what is the point? I can't understand the purpose of that, it would seem to be a lot of trouble to go through just to steal my chicken and give me a different one?

Interesting story! Thanks for posting. You may have seen some of the other stuff like this on the interwebs, mostly buildings that shouldn't be there, or missing ones I think. Sorry I don't have any links; I've been on a long history jag for the past couple of days and I'm all googled out. I think there is a big long thread full of this sort of thing at reddit or some similar place I seldom go. Good luck!

Perhaps your criss crossing a parallel dimension and the different choices for the possibility's are glitching as it were into one another.

Interesting story! Thanks for posting. You may have seen some of the other stuff like this on the interwebs, mostly buildings that shouldn't be there, or missing ones I think. Sorry I don't have any links; I've been on a long history jag for the past couple of days and I'm all googled out. I think there is a big long thread full of this sort of thing at reddit or some similar place I seldom go. Good luck!
You are referring to The Glitch in the Matrix thread.

You are referring to The Glitch in the Matrix thread.

Didn't know this existed, thanks guys !!

As I recall, that reddit thread is a typical innernets thing where you have sane people posting weird experiences, others posting creative writing projects, and a whole spectrum of people seeking to explain them away, theorize about what actually happened, drag in their personal favorite Theory of Everything, blame it on some rare disease, blame it on Space Aliens, and on and on and on. Most participants there don't seem to have much grounding in anything outside their immediate field of interest, and a lot of them are not old enough to have much life experience. Some of the reasons I stay away from that place. :eek:

I personally think your experience (assuming you are not making it up--don't be offended, we have no way to know for sure) is an extreme example of one sort of thing that happens a lot. I've had some similar sorts of things happen, though only one was really significant. It is my opinion that we ignore a lot of "glitches" as we go through our experience from day to day, but sometimes they are just too obvious to ignore. Your experience certainly fits that category! Good luck with finding out what you can, and do keep in mind that you shifted (or whatever) into a fairly benign other probability. Who knows, it could be an improvement in general terms.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what any of that means? The question, do you mean, what other things have been different? Pictures on my phone are missing, others are there which I don't remember. I own a purple plaid flannel shirt, but I remember buying a blue one. My pantry and cabinets have been rearranged. I drink a different brand of coffee, I've found red meat in the freezer, and leftovers in the fridge containing red meat, even though I gave red meat up years ago. I bite my nails now, never did before.

This whole thing just seems really crazy. I'm not sure what a life script or rewriting or ancestor simulation is?...but if someone were really messing with my mind or my life... what is the point? I can't understand the purpose of that, it would seem to be a lot of trouble to go through just to steal my chicken and give me a different one?
RachelB,

the issue is that what you are presenting is something out of a movie as opposed to reality, not that i'm denying what you say is happening, it's just that it sounds absolutely impossible, and very improbable. what you are describing sounds like scenes from Dark City or other movies where the life script, our reality, is controllable by an outside agency, or, as you have described, can be rewritten, edited, re-recorded, as in some David Lynch flicks where timelines get altered, identities shift etc.. the theory behind such glitches in the matrix, is that that everything we are living in is not real, is just a controlled digital event, an ancestor simulation, where in the future humans are keeping life in the past alive through a digital program where our entire reality is in fact not real - we are just living out our lives in a digital environment and we just think it's real. but that's if you believe in such possibilities - personally i don't. i subscribe to materialist and finite reality - we are born, we live, we die, we're done.

the story you are suggesting seems crazy and impossible and would require you to prove the story beyond the neighbour who is gone and can't confirm the dog in the pipe story - what about friends and family that you've told these stories to, shared pics and anecdotes of the chickens etc.. and just to throw other considerations into this story i would watch Upstream Colour to explore what other possible sources of personal manipulations of your life story could be. you might want to start documenting your life through other friends and family - send them daily photos, pics from the fridge etc., keeping a dual copy at home - hardcopy, and then meet to compare notes for the last week to see what's taking place.

What you are literally suggesting is that reality is shifting, constantly, using a technology that is very sophisticated, hence the notion of a creative writing project makes much more sense at this point, especially as it's not the chicken that should be the primary concern, no?

If it were me, I would go see a neurologist (if at all possible) or similar health care professional and get a through examination and testing, regardless of what I thought I might have proven or eliminated thus far. What you describe is certainly unsettling, and not to be taken lightly if it happening to you. Problems like this may be very difficult if not impossible to self-diagnose if there is an organic cause.

RachelB,

the issue is that what you are presenting is something out of a movie as opposed to reality, not that i'm denying what you say is happening, it's just that it sounds absolutely impossible, and very improbable. what you are describing sounds like scenes from Dark City or other movies where the life script, our reality, is controllable by an outside agency, or, as you have described, can be rewritten, edited, re-recorded, as in some David Lynch flicks where timelines get altered, identities shift etc.. the theory behind such glitches in the matrix, is that that everything we are living in is not real, is just a controlled digital event, an ancestor simulation, where in the future humans are keeping life in the past alive through a digital program where our entire reality is in fact not real - we are just living out our lives in a digital environment and we just think it's real. but that's if you believe in such possibilities - personally i don't. i subscribe to materialist and finite reality - we are born, we live, we die, we're done.

the story you are suggesting seems crazy and impossible and would require you to prove the story beyond the neighbour who is gone and can't confirm the dog in the pipe story - what about friends and family that you've told these stories to, shared pics and anecdotes of the chickens etc.. and just to throw other considerations into this story i would watch Upstream Colour to explore what other possible sources of personal manipulations of your life story could be. you might want to start documenting your life through other friends and family - send them daily photos, pics from the fridge etc., keeping a dual copy at home - hardcopy, and then meet to compare notes for the last week to see what's taking place.

What you are literally suggesting is that reality is shifting, constantly, using a technology that is very sophisticated, hence the notion of a creative writing project makes much more sense at this point, especially as it's not the chicken that should be the primary concern, no?

Believe me, I know how crazy it sounds. My prevailing thought is that I'm simply crazy. That I've had some sort of breakdown. Everything I've read points me to that, but what I can't understand is... why would my mind break down and fabricate many of these tiny memories, spanning back months, that, in the grand scheme of my life, don't really matter? Everything important is still the same. This is what makes it so confusing to me.

If it were me, I would go see a neurologist (if at all possible) or similar health care professional and get a through examination and testing, regardless of what I thought I might have proven or eliminated thus far. What you describe is certainly unsettling, and not to be taken lightly if it happening to you. Problems like this may be very difficult if not impossible to self-diagnose if there is an organic cause.

I've made an appointment two weeks ago, it is still two weeks out. For insurance reasons, I had to see my GP first, then she has to recommend me to a specialist. She asked me a number of questions, like did I feel I was a danger to myself or others? Am I depressed? Had violent mood changes, have I experienced severe headaches, recent head injuries, etc... And then decided it wasn't an emergent and scheduled me for a month out. :(

I've made an appointment two weeks ago, it is still two weeks out. For insurance reasons, I had to see my GP first, then she has to recommend me to a specialist. She asked me a number of questions, like did I feel I was a danger to myself or others? Am I depressed? Had violent mood changes, have I experienced severe headaches, recent head injuries, etc... And then decided it wasn't an emergent and scheduled me for a month out. :(

Well, that is encouraging at least, that it isn't viewed as an emergency. I am not a health care professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm thinking it could be almost anything from blood sugar to an unremembered head injury. You are doing the right thing by seeking advice from professionals. As far as seeking answers about your experience in a paranormal forum, ... ehhhhhh, maybe not so much. Good luck.

Well, that is encouraging at least, that it isn't viewed as an emergency. I am not a health care professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm thinking it could be almost anything from blood sugar to an unremembered head injury. You are doing the right thing by seeking advice from professionals. As far as seeking answers about your experience in a paranormal forum, ... ehhhhhh, maybe not so much. Good luck.

Yeah, LOL... I came across this site while Googling false memories. One of the search results was a post by someone named TimeTraveler who says she has seen into the future? I created an account just to ask there, what the difference between a time slip and false memories were? StaggerLee suggested I create my own thread and write out my experiences. At the time I posted that question, I didn't realize what a time slip was... I thought it was something like what I experienced... that my mind "forgot" memories, and "created" replacements to cover the gaps. Does that make sense? But I cannot explain why my boyfriend has some form of memory loss as well, or why/how I could find the man who sold me the black chicken?

We "guys" do tend to have selective memory loss- but thanks for getting down this thread. Certainly update if anything unsettling should happen again.

Well the experience of your partner's memory loss is indicative of something you are both suffering from i.e. hallucinogens. The only other option that would see two people being tampered with is through some type of hypnosis program that includes total control of so many life features.

Do you see how the story itself has some impossible features? Who would have access to your phone, the fridge, the chickens, your partner's memory and your bad habits? Forget the guy who sold the chicken. What you are outlining has far greater implications.

Back