• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 26, 2015 — Don Ecker, Curt Collins and Goggs Mackay

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
A fascinating shop talk/listener roundtable episode that focused on a variety of topics, with an emphasis on ongoing lunar mysteries.

It's a worthy follow up to our July 19 episode that featured Greg Bishop and Walter Bosley:

NOW PLAYING! July 19, 2015 — Greg Bishop and Walter Bosley | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio

We also follow up with more shop talk on the July 26 episode of After The Paracast. See:

Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio

Very interesting discussions, so much intelligence being employed here, i don't need to attend ufo conferences, I got it all here on my podcast player.

I think Don nailed it on the end notes, as long as ufology remains a speculative concept and as long as there remains a place to post speculative content there will be dust ups.

Last edited:
I like all the guests, but some of Goggs' comments about the Moon need attention (if I may):

The Moon always faces the Earth because of tidal locking, a bit of physics that has been known for a long time. Tidal locking happens right here in the solar system all the time:

Tidal locking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding the coincidence that the Moon's and Sun's apparent sizes match each other, and hence we get great eclipses: my understanding is that that's changing slowly with time. If you wait a really long time, the Moon is orbiting away from the Earth, and eventually will not cover the Sun entirely during an eclipse:

Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers.

Don, to put one more feather in your Moon Cap rap, you should also emphasize strongly there is no erosion on the Moon either. This means any disturbances on the surface of the Moon can remain for perhaps millions or even billions of years assuming no meteor impacts cover the ET disturbance.

IF ET was on the other side of the Moon, then any reconnaissance mission should be able to pick-up the trace evidence that remains if ET was there.

Someone should hack those computers that have the images of the back side of the Moon and release these to the Internet, but I doubt that can be done.

Yeah, if I was ET, then the backside of the Moon is a place to hide. BUT, there would need to be some good reasons for doing that too. I'm sure there are many that can be thought of.

Don, someone needs to do a movie about this. It would be kickass, IMO. That would generate some serious interest to get to the bottom of this Moon mystery too!

I like all the guests, but some of Goggs' comments about the Moon need attention (if I may):

The Moon always faces the Earth because of tidal locking, a bit of physics that has been known for a long time. Tidal locking happens right here in the solar system all the time:

Tidal locking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding the coincidence that the Moon's and Sun's apparent sizes match each other, and hence we get great eclipses: my understanding is that that's changing slowly with time. If you wait a really long time, the Moon is orbiting away from the Earth, and eventually will not cover the Sun entirely during an eclipse:

Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers.

Regarding the apparent size, yes I know the moon is slowly getting further away and thus smaller but the interesting thing is that for most of civilised man's existence it has had the apparent size of the solar disc.
As for tidal locking, I'll stand corrected and appreciate the input!

Very interesting discussion about the moon! I think Don mentioned the NASA report about lunar events (TR-R-277) so I looked it up. As I was researching articles taking about this NASA report I found an article I just had to laugh at. An astronomer at Columbia has come up with a reason people have seen lights and colors on the moon for centuries and he uses the old swamp gas explanation. Really?! Is someone really trying that again?! LOL! Here's the article: Columbia News ::: Columbia Astronomer Offers New Theory Into 400-year-old Lunar Mystery

Almost done with hour 2. Have to jump In and point out some stuff. I am an Aerospace Educator. I've done "space type" Camps, after school programs, worked for space museums, discovery museums and was a consultant for JPL for 2.5 years. (This just to back up my knowledge here) first, Venus has been visited several times. The USSR (back then) landed there and took photos. The US sent Magellan and used radar to map features. Venus is a perfectly legitimate target because of its "run a way"greenhouse syndrome for who ever still wants to go there and do further study. Second Saturn has been visited by more than just Voyager. In the 90s JPL sent Casinni to not only study Saturn and it rings up close but also landed a probe on Titan.
What's a bit frustrating me at this point is that, is that Don is making a vary interesting point about the Moon and you guys are going off on a tangent through the rest of the Solar System. I have never shared my beliefs regarding extraterrestrial visitation with anybody in NASA or any of the museums or space education programs I worked with for obvious reasons, BUT... Our reasons for not going to the Moon have never made ANY sense to me as a Space Program history educator. And I will go further to point out that the entire mission for the Orion Spacecraft makes even less sense to me (why are they obsessed with asteroid missions ?) Everything surrounding our attitude about returning to the Moon since the last Apollo missions always seemed weird to me. So I think Don has a valid point.
I also believe that evidence could also be found orbiting somewhere near the Astroid Belt as well. It doesn't even have to be current ET visitations because If something came here even thousand (or more) years ago and died it would still be something "they" would want to hide to avoid mass hysteria and breakdown of religious belief systems.
One quick thing about the Moon, I don't believe it's a spaceship, but there is evidence that a Mars size object came from outside our solar system and smashed into the Earth and created the Moon/Earth system and that's why the Moon has rocks older than the Earth.

And I will go further to point out that the entire mission for the Orion Spacecraft makes even less sense to me (why are they obsessed with asteroid missions ?
I thought the whole asteroid deal has to do with greed, fear and defense, history... mining the rare minerals that might be found, and also learning the compositions for redirecting objects away from Earth impact, and also to learn about the formation and primitive building blocks for planets, moons, and solar system formation.

Btw, I don't believe ancient Aliens came to Earth, unless we are the distant relatives that were seeded here. In that case, there was no need to hide inside the asteroid belt or behind the moon. The only reason to do that would be for some type of covert reasons, and that's just fantastic Trillion dollar business for the MIC and ET Entertainment Matrix. Don't fall for that BS. That's the way of War and not peace.

Think logically as follows: ancient Aliens would likely have discovered or seeded life on Earth Billions of years ago. Our galaxy is estimated to be about 10 Billion years old, so IF intelligent life forms will typically do what Humans do we would have long since been seeded or occupied long before Humans existed here.

If we were seeded, then our Genetic codes could contain the keys to unlock how we were seeded and possibly why. Maybe that is where the real bible is located. Our God(s) are already in there and here now. God is an unfolding process that we ourselves are a part of its realization. I love the possibility that our creator God is in the code, and that we could find the answers perhaps in the genetic codes that life depends on. Isn't that the key to life itself?

Of course, that assumes that is the actual fundamental level of understanding that will unlock the genetic code, but there may be more complicated mechanisms beneath that layer that must be understood too. The Human genome was found to be much smaller than expected, so there are more complicated interactions that have not been found-out or learned to get to the fundamental understanding. At least that is my limited understanding at this point.

Last edited:
There is no doubt in my mind that the Moon is one reason I still hang around the topics of possible visitation by ET's. In my mind it makes sense that IF any UFOs are from off world then the Moon would be the base of choice for them to "park", rest and what ever else "they" would need to do. At any rate here and the next message are a couple of articles I wrote that are on Gary Bekkum's Starpod.org website.

Don Ecker: The time to ask again … Is somebody else on the moon? | STARpod US

Decker

On Orion, my point isn't that they shouldn't study asteroids. I get "their" reasons but... The original reason to build Orion in the first place was to return to the moon. That mission has been watered down to Orion going around first with an unmanned flight known as EM 1 mission and then EM 2 with a crew. From what I gather they will not orbit. That makes no sense to me. As for astroid missions I think they are concerned about Astroid 99942 also known as Apophis that will pass about 35,000 Kilometers (22,000 miles) from Earth. The problem is, that pass may perturb the orbit so that 7 years later it may come by again at a distance of ????! So using orion to learn redirection techniques makes a lot of sense. As for mining asteroids that is all nonsense. Does anybody out there really think that mining asteroids is all that practical? It's a romantic "sci-fi" notion but think of how much it would cost to do that. One Orion mission plan is to redirect a smaller astroid and put it into Lunar orbit. Hmmmmm interesting ;)
On DissectionStalkers view on ET visitation; I don't understand why we over think this subject. We over romanticize their reasons for wanting to come here or how they would do it and who these entities are. On one hand we could be dealing with something super exotic. But It doesn't have to be that. As I have pointed out before, we have sent several probes beyond our SS. The latest is New Horizons. There will be more heading out into interstellar space in the future. With EM drive now plausible I believe that feature spacecraft will be developed to experiment with EM drive. SO if we're doing that why couldn't THEY? Simply finding a crashed or landed alien space probe on one of the Lunar missions would be enough to alarm NASA to back away from continuing lunar missions. So it doesn't even have to be a giant base like something out of Star Wars.
Also as I have pointed out on many occasions there is the possibility that at some point in our history ET's have visited, not to study us or any other reason but to simply escape from where they were. This could have happened anytime in human history. A base could have been established for their survival and who knows what happened after. I tend not to overthink their motives or reasons for coming. If for some reason in the future We had to leave this planet and find another home in another solar system we wouldn't need to wait until we have developed Warp Drive. We would use Sublight Multi- generation spacecraft an order for our species to survive. Why is that such a difficult idea to grasp when it comes to other planets coming here?
I sometimes feel that people who follow UFOs (or whatever you want to call them) are still hung up on the idea of Star Trek that, they come here to study us and go home or they establish a base so they can come back and forth more easily. Once again, that may not be the case.
If I were planning an "escape pilgrimage" type space mission to another star system I wouldn't go straight to the planet and set up camp. I would stay far off shore and see what my options are...

Last edited:
Don, you have said (I believe) that you wouldn't be surprised to find out that humans have established a base in the dark side of the moon. If that were the case, what hope would there be that the taxpayers will ever find out what is going on. Or is this all just wishful thinking on anyone's part.

Don, you have said (I believe) that you wouldn't be surprised to find out that humans have established a base in the dark side of the moon. If that were the case, what hope would there be that the taxpayers will ever find out what is going on. Or is this all just wishful thinking on anyone's part.

If any of the military/intelligence black budget ops have managed to come up with exotic propulsion drives that make lunar/solar system travel possible, and if they managed to place a mission on something like the moon ... I do not believe we would ever know unless they decided to inform the public. In my view that is doubtful.

Decker

Another point of view, one from an engineer familiar with the topic:
John Schuessler of NASA and MUFON on Apollo conspiracy theories, secret missions, and aliens on the Moon.

"That's all baloney... I don't think there's any reality to it whatsoever. I'm versed in the extraterrestrial side of things, the UFO side of things, and I can tell you that I've seen no evidence of any kind that there's extraterrestrial life on the Moon."

Popular Mechanics, Sept. 2, 2011:
Why Apollo Really Stopped at 17

This Popular Mechanics article states that after we went to the Moon, all the goals had been accomplished, so we stopped right there. That sounds like so much hogwash to me.

You've just managed the greatest technological feat up to that point and now you just stop? Mankind has always been about establishing outposts wherever possible. The idea that we took our sand bucket and shovel and went home is ludicrous at best.

Back