• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Fox Lake UFO Sighting

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Tim Printy, publisher of the skeptical newsletter SUNlite says that we should consider the Fox Lake Sighting as solved, citing Ted Molczan, who claims to have identified the source of the UFO report as the rocket booster from COSMOS 2335 re-entering the Earth’s atmosphere. Ted and his group are actually a really interesting bunch ( check out the link ), but personally, I'm a bit skeptical of the skeptics being so certain about this explanation ... here's a thread starter ...

I think the sceptical explanation is just ridiculous. If this is the case I think it is, was it not reported by more than a hundred witnesses, who did not know each other and saw this independently? Supposedly a very large ship with a row of porthole type things etc, moving quite slowly at a quite low altitude?
To suggest people witnessing a rocket booster re-entry thinking it was a UFO moving slowly etc...come on, that is just a silly attempt to explain away a sighting. Reminds me of Phil Klass claiming the JAL event as Jupiter and Venus etc - just doesn't fit the reported (and recorded) facts.
I have to say that at least when Lance Moody offers explanations, he thinks them through and makes sure they fit the facts. Sceptics know full well that if they give any mundane explanation, it will be reported in the press as case closed and Joe Public, who won't be familiar with the witness reports, will assume they have the answer and leave it at that. There is a lot of deliberate misleading by the sceptical community and that is just dishonest.

By the way people, can skeptic be spelt with a 'c' and a 'k'? Are they interchangeable? I am never sure...!

This appears to be a locally produced and filmed documentary from somewhere in the Yukon. I really like this.

I though Chris might enjoy this too because of all the First Nations content. I know he digs that stuff, and it is actually a half decent little documentary. I also have to agree with Goggs that there are elements of this sighting that a simple re-entry burn-up doesn't account for, like hovering. But at the same time, it is conceivable that some of the sightings from that night are of the re-entry, particularly the ones that describe the lights moving in a row and going out or "dripping". That sounds suspiciously like pieces disintegrating off the booster. So I'm currently sort of in the middle on this one. But even so, it seems irresponsible from a skeptical point of view to claim that this case is "solved" based only on the booster info. Tim does a much better job than a lot of skeptics out there, but unfortunately his anti-ufology bias still seems to get the better of him. I've invited the original investigator to comment here, but it's hard to know if the link on his site was working.

Hello all,

I was born and raised in the yukon, and helped my father run a trapline in the fox lake area as a child. I stumbled across this thread while looking up some stuff today about it just for fun, and it is interesting there has been a recent revival of this siting, and i too came across the explanation here:

SeeSat-L Apr-12 : Old Unknown Identified as a Re-entry

I have driven past this lake, and been fishing in it many times, it is very interesting to me to see the artwork and conceptual drawings of this siting and see how accurately they portray fox lake and the mountains themselves, most of the drawings and sketches ive seen look exactly like the lake if you are driving by on the highway, perhaps next winter i will go take a picture, the sketches are eerily accurate, which I think lends creedence to the witness testimony.

I remember this siting as a teenager, it was in the news briefly, and I think I dismissed it initially as a bunch of yahoos making stuff up, I was in prime highschool years and partying, friends and girls were my first priority, not UFO nonsense. Also back then the comet hale bopp was bright in the sky, although i think the comet was in the opposite direction, if i recall most of the fox lake sightings were toward the NW direction. Hale bopp was visible to south as I recall ( I could be wrong) We also have the northern lights etc. up here and a ton of tourists that get way too excited over nothing. I wont lie there are more than a few odd ducks living out in the woods who would make up some crazy claims, but they are the minority. Google teslin bigfoot for example, we all roll our eyes up here lol.

That said,

in hindsight, perhaps i should not have dismissed it so easily, as I too once witnessed a UFO in southern BC, not as dramatic as the fox lake sighting, but without a doubt it was an object I cannot easily explain, and demonstrated movement capabilities ive never seen before or since anywhere. Regardless of what my logic says, i saw what I saw. End of story, it is undeniable. My instinct until this point in time was that it was UFO, it was the best explanation available to me. However, Since reading about the cosmos 2335 object I am now trying to pinpoint any satellite activity around my personal sighting as a logical justification, and will share if i find anything out.

In regards to the fox lake sighting, I was NOT a witness.

I have to say the fact there was a rocket stage re-entering along the same decay path that many witnesses claim (below big dipper) at the same time (roughly 8:30) is pretty compelling evidence for an "explanation" of this sighting. I felt a bit of a sinking feeling in my stomach when I learned of this as the fox lake sighting was always something I thought was pretty awesome, most likely not a hoax, with some credible witnesses as I have worked with some of the people in the nedaa news video.

NEDAA for people interested is a first nations funded and run broadcasting corp (radio & TV) up here in the yukon.

In the skies up here we get alot of military activity (US and Canadian), and we have no other "traffic" really in the sky. There are a few regular scheduled flights from down south at the airport, and one from frankfurt germany i believe that crosses from over the pole, but nothing once you get out of town. The sky is usually clear, clean, and eithier really well lit in the summer, (hardly any dark) or pitch black in the winter (hardly any daylight) so usually when you see something it is interesting and pretty cool, be it man made or natural.

I was discussing this with my father and he doesn't take the satellite explanation, he still believes it was a legit sighting. Personally i feel I am leaning more toward the re-entry explanation now, but doing so with reluctance, I would have rather this sighting gone unexplained as there are so many hoaxes nowadays, it's just getting sad.

Regardless, it is great to see that whether it was extra terrestrial or not, at worst case there was an actual sighting of unexplained origin and this was not a hoax. People just reported things to the best of their memories.

Thats how we roll up here in the Yukon, we're pretty cool, and for the most part "good" people.

The only evidence I can see to the contrary of the satellite decay explanation is that the time frames don't line up for some of the sightings. There were sightings as late as 10pm in Dawson, which is several hundred km's further north than fox lake. However Fox lake at 8:30 pm seems to be the peak, and where the satellite was visibly decaying, just below the big dipper as people described.

In my mind it is still possible it was a UFO of course, but the booster decay is a very plausible explanation. The odds of an object re-entering along the same path at the same time as witness testimony are no pun intended "astronomical" to say the least.

I wish I had the knowledge to verify the calculations myself, and access to the source knowledge they were based off of to verify authenticity and correctness.

One other thing that stands out to me as well in favour of it being a UFO:

Why does the satobs.org re-entry article reference the UFO sightings, and offer explanations to the "exaggerations" of eye witnesses. This in itself points to deliberate disinformation and an attempt to debunk something over 15 years old now. Made me raise an eyebrow when i got to that part of the article, had me hooked until that point.

For future reference, I would suggest Mr. Ted Molczan stick to the facts and just present the information at hand as so:

"I calculated the decay of this object, here is the info. Make of it what you will."

For that matter, it would be awesome if he or others with his knowledge calculated all the decay of all known objects...could go a long way to solving some unexplained phenomena.

When all is said and done decaying booster or not:

It doesn't mean a UFO wasn't watching the light show as well :cool:

Welcome to the forum youkonranger ! That was an excellent first post and I hope we see more of them from time to time :).

On the sighting, I think I mentioned up there someplace that the testimony suggests that the booster re-entry and the UFO sighting are separate events that took place around the same time. It's an interesting case and a good little video production too ( Top post )

On the sighting, I think I mentioned up there someplace that the testimony suggests that the booster re-entry and the UFO sighting are separate events that took place around the same time. ( Top post )

This is in essence what my father believes.

At the very least if one is to conclude that it WAS the booster re-entry it's not a hocus pocus swamp gas/weather balloon explanation, it was a large object on re-entry and visible/travelling in the same direction in the same timeframe.

UFO or booster, both plausible in my opinion.

either way, awesome it was definitely not a hoax.

The speed and closeness, if reasonably well reported, just don't match up with anything re-entering the atmosphere. Everything coming out of orbit is damn fast.

Back